close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

147gr versus 125gr for carry

Discussion in 'TOP GUNS *357 Sig* Club' started by Beware Owner, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Beware Owner

Beware Owner NOT a victim.

Oct 16, 2007
    I've been carrying 125gr GD's in my G32 and thought about replacing them with 147gr. Who carries the 147gr, and why? Is it softer shooting?

2. I also carry a G-32 with 125 Gold Dots. That is the bullet weight that the 357 Sig cartridge was designed for and I still think it is about the best choice for it. They hit hard and the recoil is not bad at all. A lot of Police departments use the Gold Dots with proven results.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010

3. AZ Husker

AZ Husker

Mar 25, 2003
    Phoenix
    The velocity of the 125 grain is what makes it such a success.

4. G33

G33 Frisky! Millennium Member CLM

May 29, 1999
    With G29
    125 for defense.
    147 XTPs for hunting.
    :supergrin:

5. I carry Cor Bon 115gr for SD. Then again, that's all that was available for me to buy enough to make sure it functions and have enough left over for 3 mags.

6. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

Jun 14, 2005
    Tulsa
    people like heavier bullets, if they do, because on occasion it's the difference between subsonic and not.. and sometimes there's a greater perceived accuracy, or a bit faster time back on target, either one, depending who'se telling that lie. I'm a heavy-for-caliber guy because they make deep holes and shoot straight, both virtues I admire. Each to their own, cause I don't intend to change because of what you shoot, and don't expect you to change because of what I shoot. Where's the fun in that?

7. countryrebel

countryrebel

May 13, 2007
    IDAHO
    And I second that.

8. Beware Owner

Beware Owner NOT a victim.

Oct 16, 2007
    Does the weight difference give one or the other a barrier penetration advantage, which is already their forté?

9. G33

G33 Frisky! Millennium Member CLM

May 29, 1999
    With G29
    Light bullets penetrate barriers a bit better.
    Heavy bullets penetrate flesh a bit deeper.

Nothing to write home about over the difference however.
    :supergrin:

10. From what I understand the 357 Sig 124/125 grain bullet weight is that which most closely matched the original .357 magnum 124 grain bullet performance, so that is what I carry in my primary mag, but my second mag is loaded with 147 grain stuff.

If the event ever did happen that I had to use my weapon in self defense I can't imagine needing more bullets than the twelve I have in my G33. If I needed more though (as an option) I would want something heavier and bonded to punch through whatever the person is hiding behind if they are still presenting themselves as a threat. Just a few scenerios come to mind, but I like to be prepared.