Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

14.9mm SOP

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by D3S3RT_P3NGU1N, Jun 27, 2012.

1. D3S3RT_P3NGU1N

Feb 29, 2008
    Hi guys, its been a busy few weeks and so I haven't been on here in a little while but I thought it was worth coming back to post this. Some of you might remember a thread I posted about this a few months ago.

The idea behind this project was to create a weapons system capable of shooting out to 5000+ meters, while delivering significantly more energy on target and with greater accuracy than 20mm Vulcan through the use of a high BC projectile.

Please keep in mind that the rifle shown is hugely overbuilt for testing purposes, and the primary application for this round would likely be for vehicle mounted weapons systems or even in aircraft. A man portable shoulder fired weapon is possible though, but that will involve reducing the size and weight down to something similar to the M107 and the use of a serious recoil mitigation system.

Some interesting info about the 14.9mm SOP

42,000 - 45,000 ft. lbs of energy (for comparison 20mm Vulcan is 38,000 - 40,000 ft. lbs)

3350 fps at the muzzle with 1690gr projectile

Projectile alone is 3.98" long

Reaches 1000 yards in approx 0.96 seconds

Stays supersonic out to 5000+ meters

Anyway initial testing started last weekend and so far is going well. The projectile is stabilizing and the POI matches the POA. Testing has only been done out to 500 yards so far, which is obviously very short range for something like this. Testing will continue over the next few weeks, including long range testing. Some pictures and videos of it are starting to appear online, so figured I might as well post it here.

Here are some pictures

Heres the video of the first ever test shot

[ame=""]149 - YouTube[/ame]

Heres a better quality video of another shot during testing.

[ame=""]Saojao 14.9mm Video 3 - YouTube[/ame]

Heres the just posted about it
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  2. RedHaze

RedHaze Handgunner

Aug 23, 2009
    SE WA
    Pure awesome.

Thanks for sharing with us.

3. DonD

Dec 21, 2001
    Central TX
    Very interesting. One thing for sure, you won't be humping that thing on cross country hikes! Don
  4. bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
  5. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

Mar 17, 2008
    Very cool project D3s3rt. :thumbsup:
  6. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

May 24, 2000
    Dear Santa,

I have been very good this year!!