close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

1300 Defender

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by Glock 1, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Glock 1

Glock 1

Aug 21, 2011
    Texas
    About 13 years ago I bought a 1300 Defender with pistol grip. It has seen maybe 250 rounds; if that. The entire gun is in NIB condition although I do not have the box or instructions (thank my ex-wife for that; *****).

It has no rust, barrel is spotless action looks brand new. I have kept it stored in a padded gun case that is impregnated with oil (Odd case, I know. I never found another one like it). Anyway, the gun is spotless.

My question is, I am going to a gun show this weekend and I am thinking of selling it. It's the 8 shot version listed in my signature. I love the gun but I have no place to go shoot it. When I sell it, what should I ask for it?

I went to a gun store 3 weeks ago and the guy told me he wouldn't be able to sell it and offered me $90 for it. I laughed and left. After reading some threads here, I think I could get a fair price for it, but what should I look for as far as offers go? I have attached a pic. I can get better ones tonight if needed once I get home.

Attached Files:

• 1300.jpg
      1300.jpg
      File size:
      34.2 KB
      Views:
  2. GlocknSpiehl

GlocknSpiehl NRA Life Member Silver Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Miami, FL
    I bought the exact same shotgun at Walmart 15 years ago. Last year I changed it to an adjustable pistol grip stock and changed out the slide for a pistol grip slide and it is now my home SD shotgun. Honestly, if I were you, I wouldn't get rid of it. It is one of the fastest/smoothest cycling slide action shotguns made and holds 8+1 shells. I upgraded/updated mine for less than $90.

If you want to sell, I've seen prices on auction sites for around $250 - $300. Keep it and upgrade it.

YMMV

3. jwhite75

jwhite75 Gubmint Worker

Jan 6, 2009
    Dub V
    That is a great gun overall just needs a better stock. Keep it and fix it.

4. Glock 1

Glock 1

Aug 21, 2011
    Texas
    I guess I could load it and use it for HD. How do you store yours for HD use? I don't have a safe or gun rack. I usually keep it packed away. I don't mind keeping it and using it for HD but I worry about it rusting and what not when its out in the open.

I wasn't able to find any out there and I read all the praise for the 870. I thought the 1300 must have not been a good gun. I love mine but I never get to shoot it. I will explore my options as far as keeping it at the ready for HD and then decide what to do with it. Wish I had a mount for it in my truck. That would be awesome for those road ragers.

5. Glock 1

Glock 1

Aug 21, 2011
    Texas
    I actually like the pistol grip. It needs a little padding (hard on the hand after a couple rounds) but as long as you don't lock your wrist, your golden as far as the recoil goes. Maybe I will look for a new grip or maybe a Hogue wrap for it.

6. First, getting into a gunfight with a bunch of folks over road rage, no matter what the weapon, is never awesome. Having said that, I think the reason you don't hear much about the 1300 is it has a bit of a reputation for being fragile when compared to guns like the 870, so not that many folks choose it for a fighting shotgun.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  7. El_Ron1

El_Ron1 AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

Apr 15, 2004
    Redneck Sparta
    :rofl:

Must be the line he was taught in How To Lose Money, Friends And Customers With Guns school.

8. Glock 1

Glock 1

Aug 21, 2011
    Texas
    Oh I would never get into a gun fight over road rage. Its not worth it. Just the mere sight is what I would be counting on when some jerk pulls up next to me flipping me off. Seeing it mounted to the dash like they do in police cars is what I am referring to, not actually whipping it out.

Now, if they want to force me off the road and look for a fight, I will be happy to oblige.

How is the 1300 fragile? Is there a design flaw?

9. Don't know about design flaws, just know that they had a reputation for not being able to complete training courses or hold up to extensive (ab)use by LE.

10. Glock 1

Glock 1

Aug 21, 2011
    Texas
    Hmm. Maybe I will look into that. thanks for the info. I have a couple of boxes of 3" 000 Buck I used to keep in it for home defense, maybe I will load it back up. I assume spring fatigue is a myth in these guns as well? I am ok to keep it loaded for long periods of time?

11. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

Jul 13, 2003
    Canada
    You are not going to use it or abuse it the way LE agencies do. No worries.
    Pros are on your side and the cons are not really something that You should be worrying about. You have a great shotgun not only because it's fast, but also because You already have it. This is the cheapest option for You. Keep it or if You want, change the stock on it. New 870 are not in the same league. I handled a couple lately. They maybe look cool, but they are nowhere near the quality from the past. You would need to buy Wingmaster or Police model and spend a lot of money to have as much gun as You already have. Enjoy.

12. Z71bill

Z71bill

Feb 19, 2007
    Texas
    I saw a similar gun at the Pasadena Texas gun show a couple weeks ago - Houston area is normally priced a little low. Where are you located?

It had nice wood / full size stock

Gun looked new - $250

IMHO not many folks want a pistol grip only set up - by the time they buy a stock & maybe for-end to match you can buy a complete new gun and spend less.

13. Glock 1

Glock 1

Aug 21, 2011
    Texas
    I am in Dallas. I am going to keep it. I got it out, oiled it good and loaded it with 3" 00 buck. I concealed it too. I realized how much I like it once I ran the action a couple of times.

14. GoBigOrange

GoBigOrange

May 22, 2010
    East TN
    Do you live in a sewer? Why are you so worried about rust? My dad has a Winchester Defender 1300 that he bought about 15 years ago. It has been in a closet the entire time and only cleaned 2-3 times. It has zero rust, it literally looks brand new. I absolutely love that gun.

Load that thing and keep it handy. The 1300 is a great home defense gun.

15. Glock 1

Glock 1

Aug 21, 2011
    Texas
    Nah, no sewer unless I have Taco Bell for lunch.

I have never had it out and exposed and the humidity in my house is fairly high due to aquariums. I will keep an eye on it for awhile, if it shows no signs then I will leave it be.

16. El_Ron1

El_Ron1 AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

Apr 15, 2004
    Redneck Sparta
    How big a boy are ya? Do yourself a favor and put some "low recoil" 2 and 3/4" Buck in there.

Take that thing out to the range and try some of those magnum shells on for size someday. :cool:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  17. GoBigOrange

GoBigOrange

May 22, 2010
    East TN

nope. I keep mine loaded but I don't have a round in the chamber. Just my personal preference.

18. Glock 1

Glock 1

Aug 21, 2011
    Texas
    I have shot some hot loads in my time but I see your point about the shells. in CQC they are too much. I am planning on getting some lighter loads for it Saturday while I am at the gun show. I am 6' 1" and 275lbs.

I will reload it when I get home and take the one in the chamber out. It has been bugging me ever since I loaded it that way. Good to hear its not just me that feels that way.

Oh, and I cant find a range near me that will let me shoot this thing. they all tell me "That thing ain't made for nuthin' but killing!"

I am going to a relatives land in a couple of weeks where I can pull out all the stops, I plan on taking it out there.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  19. El_Ron1

El_Ron1 AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

Apr 15, 2004
    Redneck Sparta
    Pistol grips are not too comfortable to shoot for most people. You can find the factory synthetic butt stocks on ebay or gunbroker from time to time.