close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

12 Gauge Buckshot

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by fortyofforty, Jan 7, 2012.

1. fortyofforty

fortyofforty

Jul 9, 2005
    Out of the myriad choices of buckshot available in 12 gauge 2 3/4 inch, I imagine that most prefer 00 buck for home defense. But, there are also 0 buck, and 1 buck. You can even find 00 buckshot in 8 pellet, 9 pellet and 12 pellet shells. Right now, if price were no object, I would lean towards having more pellets in 1 buck over fewer in 00 buck. What do you guys prefer and why?

2. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster Millennium Member

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    I prefer the No. 1 buckshot. It is harder to find, but it is a treasure. A whole lot of pellets due to better volume concentration. 16 big 0.30-inch No. 1 buckshot pellets in the 2-3/4-inch loads. That is a LOT of hitting power. :cool:

3. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    What ever you choose, pattern the load @ your chosen distance. It's amazing how diff they can be. I like the idea of #1 buck, but my 870 won't patterne well @ 45ft w/ it. Most reduced recoil #00 shoots sell, but my fav indoor rounds is just about any brand #4 buck. My sg prints dead ctr, nice round patterns w/ all 27 of the 24cal pellets staying on an 11x17 target @ 45ft, about as long as hot as I would ever have to make.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  4. fortyofforty

fortyofforty

Jul 9, 2005
  5. Crosshair_84

Crosshair_84

Dec 6, 2011
    I have often wondered how the 12 pellet loads compare with the 9 pellet loads? Penetration. Velocity. Spread. Recoil. etc.

6. Tiro Fijo

Tiro Fijo

May 31, 2011

This.

7. Is there any reason #4 buck would not be decent?

8. fortyofforty

fortyofforty

Jul 9, 2005
    Only in terms of penetration, larger pellets might be preferable. At room-clearing distances, it's probably just fine, of course.

9. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    Penetration w/ #4buck is quite good in soft tissue. It would be lacking as distance increases or against bone, well maybe large bones. This was a beef rib shot @ 12yds, riot choke 870. Left was #4buck, right was #6 birdshot. Why one does NOT use any size birdshot IMO. Note none of the birdhsot went thru.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  10. David_Ely

David_Ely GAP'r

Jul 3, 2008
    Okemos, MI
    Mas Ayoob also recommends #1 Buck for defense. I'm going to stick with the best patterning 00 Buck I can find. Right now I'm shooting Fiocchi 9 pellet nickel plated buck because I bought 150 rounds of it cheap.

11. fortyofforty

fortyofforty

Jul 9, 2005
    I actually considered this, but using a buckshot that patterns too tightly somewhat defeats the purpose of using buckshot. One such load is Federal Flite Control. The patterning is awesome. However, at within-the-home distances, I might not be too concerned about a tight-patterning load, and might want a little spread to allow for imprecise aiming or target movement.

12. I am no balistics expert and I have yet to find a good read on steel shot but with 1556 FPS the shot I use on Geese is also loaded in my home defense short shotgun.
    The pattern is great and the penetration is great. We have no neighbors and just the wife and I but if I have a BG on the other side of a wall I own him with this load.

13. Little Joe Thank you for that info. I have a shot gun my Dad bought me for deer hunting 45 year ago. It's a Deer slayer 12 gauge w/ 21" barrel. never really crossed my mind to buy # 1 or 00 for it for SD. On another thread someone was talking about using rubber buck I thought WTF if i were to use my shot gun I have it loaded with slugs. I daily carry a g20 as my prime CCW.

I will be buying some #1 and 00 to see how they perform at a close range with my short barrel, should I ever need it in a home defense situation

Thanks again

14. David_Ely

David_Ely GAP'r

Jul 3, 2008
    Okemos, MI
    I would save "bird shot" for the birds and get yourself some buckshot. Steel pellets are very light weight and will not retain energy for long and will have a very difficult time penetrating enough to be effective. People are not geese. But if that's what you're comfortable with protecting yourself and your wife, then so be it.

15. 9mm +p+

9mm +p+

Mar 1, 2005
    Old Dominion
    00 for me, I run 12 pellet 2 3/4 or 15 pellet 3" loads our of my 590. Winchester or Federal both seem to pattern well our of mine.

16. TheLawRB

TheLawRB

Jul 21, 2010
    NE GA
  17. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

Jul 10, 2000
    My preference is for #4 buckshot. Penetration is adequate, and it has so many pellets that it literally chews up targets within normal home defense ranges. Gelatin testing looks really nasty, and it has a great record with departments that issue it.