10MM vs .41 Mag

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by DonD, Sep 24, 2013.

1. DonD

I'll admit I'm a ballistics junkie, ballistics interest me. I am not trying to start a flame war either, both cartridges are excellent.

Watching Guns & Ammo TV this evening and Dick Metcalf was saying a 10mm in a G20 was fully equal to the .41 Mag. While I've seen hotter loads for the 10mm, I'll provide comparative ballistics from Hodgdon Powder's reloading data. As close as possible to an apples to apples comparison. Max loads were:

10mm, 5" barrel, 200gr @ 1172fps/610 ft lbs energy, 35KSI
    .41 Mag, 10" barrel, 210gr @ 1631fps/1241 ft lbs, 36.4K CUP

While the longer barrel certainly helped the .41 mag numbers, it would undoubtedly have substantial edge even with a comparable barrel length. Don

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Unobtanium: 10mm Winchester Silvertip 175gr JHPs Caliber Corner Thursday at 1:15 PM
    Is a Heavier Recoil Spring Needed for Underwood 10mm Ammo? Caliber Corner Thursday at 8:11 AM
    wts: dan wesson 10mm commander c-bob (ct) Firearms Listings Wednesday at 3:29 PM
    LW solid or open long slide; 10mm or 45ACP? General Glocking Tuesday at 4:37 PM
    Georgia Arms 10mm 180 gr & 155 gr Gold Dots available The 10 Ring Tuesday at 8:15 AM

3. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Ballistics is not the primary choice factor, when you compare a semi-auto cartridge to a revolver cartridge. Both the capacity and reload speed of a semi-auto and the shootability of the cartridges far outweigh ballistic numbers. If energy was most important, we'd all be carrying our .44 magnums and .380 and 9mm and .38 would be history.

4. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

5. The 41 mag is more gun, and the 10mm, can't really hope to compete in any fair comparison.

Though the 10mm, is by far the more popular of the two.
  6. The 41 Mag. is "more gun" in terms ballistics. In that respect, the 10MM will never be 41 Magnum period. But, you knew that. Then again, I have yet to see a 41 Mag. with the capacity of the 10MM Auto pistols. Its a trade off, they both have their place IMO.
  7. No way a full power 10mm matches a full power .41 magnum. It's not even a debate.
  8. ShallNotBeInfringed

ShallNotBeInfringed NRA Business Al

A hot load 10 is close to ballistics of a typical 41.

However, my Glock 20 has 20 in the magazine and one in the pipe. You can then change mags in a second or two.

In a SHTF drama, the 41 looks better in a gun collection than it does on your hip.

I would carry a 40 way over a 41 for capacity reasons alone.

sent from my rotary wall phone
  9. Berto

Berto woo woo

Round vs round, the .41 is a bit more.
  10. Saying 10 mm and .41 magnum in the same sentence will ruffle some petticoats around here.
  11. Yeah, it comes up often. 41mag is capable of at Lear 50% more energy. It's really not close.

10mm is ballistically about equal to 357mag.
  12. Not really. It's just that saying they are equals shows how ignorant some people are about ballistics. If you don't know what you're talking about, it's usually best to keep your mouth shut.

I think comparisons come up because they are about equal in diameter. However, power isn't close.
    #11 bac1023, Sep 24, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  13. This isn't my favorite game to play, but since I have not left for work yet....

Do we have any empiracle data to play with? Gelatin results? Dead pigs?

I fall into the placement of the hole is more important than the hole itself camp, and if a round blows through the target without leaving a wound channel behind, a lot of energy has been expended for no practical purpose.
  14. True, but then the internet would be silent.
  15. I agree. In fact 10mm may be more effective on human size targets since more energy may be able to be expended without just blowing through. However, if we're just talking about the rounds themselves, there is quite a difference.
    #14 bac1023, Sep 24, 2013
  16. JK Freak

JK Freak OffRoadRenegade

I'd take my Glock 20 just due to the sheer capacity of the magazines, Hard to beat 20 rounds of 10mm with 1 in the tube! Never really had a interest in the 41 mag, I bought a Smith 629 in 44 a few years back and love it!
  17. JK Freak

JK Freak OffRoadRenegade

I'm with ya pier, A 22 through the heart is gonna suck more than a 9mm through the arm!
  18. Bruce M

Ahh Another caliber debate. Aways enjoyable.
  19. :rofl:
  20. Yeah, this should really be in caliber corner.
  21. SDGlock23

SDGlock23 Glockoholic

The 10mm being a .41 Magnum is one of those old sayings that just needs to go ahead die already. It's false no doubt, but just think of how many who don't know any better have bought into it hook, line and sinker. I like the 10mm, but shot for shot, it's no .41 Mag.

I have a 230gr 10mm that will do 1150 fps from my G20 Gen4, and that's a warm load for a 10mm, and very heavy for caliber. A .41 Mag will shoot a 230gr at near 1500 fps. Comparing my warm 10mm loads, and Underwood 10mm as well, to warmer .41 Mag loads, there's about a 300 fps advantage with the .41 Mag, plus it can shoot heavier bullets than the 10mm can.
    #20 SDGlock23, Sep 24, 2013