10mm - the newly affordable range caliber

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by tenforme, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Part of my thinking when I picked up my G20 SF was that because 10mm was a less common caliber, it would be easier to get ammo in this "post crazy" world.

Well I goofed a bit - because I hadn't realized that 10mm ammo is often built on .40 "Short and Weak" production lines.

However, I have been following the current pricing on GunBot and was pleasantly surprised to see that 10mm is currently less expensive than many comparable rounds. To be fair I am mostly looking at range ammo.

Here are today's lowest prices based on FMJ's in 50 round boxes:

9mm $0.40ea
    .40S&W $0.66ea
    .45ACP $0.58ea
    357Mag $0.40ea
    .38Auto $0.52ea
    10mm $0.48ea

Just to put how crazy things have become, yesterday I couldn't find 22LR for less than $048/ea :wow:

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 tenforme, Mar 8, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Shot a Glock Gen 4 10mm General Firearms Forum Yesterday at 12:55 PM
    10mm? Cop Talk Yesterday at 12:28 PM
    Has anyone found g40, 10mm, long slide? General Glocking Sunday at 10:37 PM
    H40061B BULK (.400) 10MM 200GR HAP $315.00 / 1800 shipped 10mm Reloading Forum Jul 25, 2015
    Finally! Megastar 10mm! General Firearms Forum Jul 21, 2015

3. Opie 1 Kenopie

Opie 1 Kenopie Regular Guy

Here on the Left Coast, .22 is nearly impossible to find anymore. The shelves are bare. Occasionally a guy might see a box of overpriced .40 or .45, but almost no range ammo, just the $1.50/round premium SD stuff.

:dunno:

Glad I reload my .45 and 10mm.

:)

4. CigarandScotch

CigarandScotch Fartacus

Yeah, I recently bought a quantity of .44 mag, just because it was still available at a decent price. Now I have more than I have ever owned at one time, but I am glad to own it.

5. Yes I'm here on the Left Coast as well. I just don't get why people are stockpiling 22LR.

I'm just glad that I can get 10mm reasonably quickly.

6. Don't know where you are finding your prices but I have ordered range ammo on line in the last week or two and have paid $0.32 / round for both 9mm and .40 cal and $0.42 / round for .45 cal ACP. (all brass not steel stuff).

#5 kirbinster, Mar 8, 2013
  7. Because if you really need to survive, a brick of .22 LR will put food on the table for a long time. A bolt action .22 is light and easy to carry and even a Ruger 10-22 is easily carried (until I added the bull barrel).

A Ruger Mk II with a decent pistol scope is also a nice way to hunt small game.

The ARs and AKs are fun but they are relatively heavy. As is the ammunition.

Richard

8. glowrod

glowrod Fightin' Fire

Just paid $0.34 a round for Winchester 40's at WM yesterday.

9. The prices I quoted are from Gunbot (http://www.gunbot.net/ammo). Good to see that you can get stuff cheaper off the shelf locally :thumbsup:

10. Good point but I can't imagine that working here on the left coast - the population density is too high for the local fauna to support for very long.

11. glowrod

glowrod Fightin' Fire

10mm was non existent at WM. But Gander had a bunch of 10mm and 45. No 9mm or 40 of any kind what so ever.

12. w4dov

love those 100 rd jewels. Wish I could find some here. My store has a ton of 45 but nothing else in handgun ammo.

If I shot a 7mm or 20 gauge I'd be in heaven.

#11 w4dov, Mar 8, 2013
  13. Tazz10m

Tazz10m Mod Aerator
    Moderator Millennium Member

During the LA Riots all the shelves were bare... except for 10mm and a few others. I then bought ALL of what was on the shelf... with a big fat smile...:supergrin:

Matter of fact it's one of the reasons i've stayed with 10mm all these years. History has a tendency to repeat itself... and look... it is again!

14. Went to my LGS today after a month hiatus and they had TONS of 10mm. This might be a good time to pick up a 29!

15. NO rim fire here on the east coast either... ;( Cabelas even has bare ammo and firearm shelves.... Last week I visited 6 different shops and went home with 200rnds of 22M and ZERO LR...

CW

16. Opie 1 Kenopie

Opie 1 Kenopie Regular Guy

Survival experts always say if you can only have ONE gun for bad times, make it a .22.

-it's quiet
    -it's cheap
    -it's light
    -you can hunt small game up to deer with it
    -you can defend your family with it

I read somewhere recently that more people in the US are killed by .22 than by any other caliber. It may not be perfect for hunting or self defense, but it will perform both tasks and I can easily carry 2000 rounds in a pack.

17. Big problem I'm having is finding the full power 10mm loads. Most of this stuff is the weak tea stuff - Federal 180gr at only 1000fps? Bah. I want my full-power Underwood loads - but they've been out for quite some time on most 10mm loads. :(

http://www.underwoodammo.com/10mmauto.aspx

18. Seriously?

Seriously? U.S.A.F. Ret.

Ummmm.......48 cents per round is WAY too much.

Got 300 rounds of Federal FMJ 9mm for about 24 cents per round today at WM.

The .45 ACP was about twice as much.

I'm sure 10mm would be even higher.....IF you ever saw it, which you don't.

I'll stick with the 9mm.

:)

#17 Seriously?, Mar 8, 2013
  19. I sure am glad I stocked up on reloading components for 10mm and 40. Hopefully the stupid doesn't last too long.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

20. Just had 200 rounds of Underwood 180 grain FMJ delivered yesterday :)

21. According to Gunbot, online pricing for 10mm is cheaper than 45 ACP and about the same as 9mm - which is why I started this thread