Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

10mm sights and ammo ("woods gun" follow up)

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by ScottMn, Apr 30, 2012.

1. ScottMn

Jan 12, 2012
    Thanks for all the thoughtfull insights when choosing between 357 and 10mm for a field/woods gun. For me, the 357 is pretty straight forward. It'll shoot just about anything you put in it and putting some kind of "sight" (scope, red dot, holo, etc...) is fairly straight forward.

The 10mm is where I'm treading on unknown ground. I do not reload so I'm pretty much stuck with factory loads. What "hot" factory, hunting ammo reliably feeds in a G20? It sounds like finding the right factory stuff may be a little difficult? A few of ;you mentioned that some of the factory stuff really isn't loaded to it's full potential and could even perform like a glorified 40.

If I wanted an additional sight of some kind, what would you recommend? IIRC, some of the sights required some milling of the slide to accomodate the sight? Would a maker other than Glock lend itself better to some kind of optical sight?

A set up in 10mm has it's advantages. Just as long of a barrel in a shorter package, lighter weight, more rounds, and if it can be a Glock......familiar ground mechanically. I just don't have much experience in setting one up.

2. crnama

crnama CLM

Jan 29, 2002
    Madison, Al
    For factory loaded ammo for the woods check out great prices and great ammo. Search in the 10Ring and you will find a bunch of threads about them. They don't lie about the velocities either.

3. TSAX

Jun 5, 2010
    :agree:, pricing is very good and many people have been happy.

4. Berto

Berto woo woo

Sep 15, 2003
    I hear Underwood is great, never tried it. I have tried Buffalo Bore, it also hits advertised numbers like Underwood.

I'm happy with factory sights on my G20. The benefit of the Glock is its size to power ratio, so I wouldn't screw with optics and stick with good irons.

I go between my .357 Sp101 revolver and the G20 for outdoor stuff.
  5. GRT45

GRT45 Transform & Win

Jun 20, 2010
    ScottMn, a 10mm caliber Glock pistol is an excellent platform for an optical sight. Take a look at this relatively recent thread from The 10 Ring forum at Glock Talk to give you some ideas for the possibilities:

Installing a red dot sight on a Glock 20
  6. ronin.45

Apr 24, 2008
    Buffalo Bore and irons is what I would choose as well. A woods gun should be light and fast, no optic necessary.
  7. countrygun

Mar 9, 2012
    Optics are going to really mess with your holster choices and are completely unneccessary of a field gun if you must have "High Viz type irons, go for it but one of my favorite woods guns is a S&W 58 with the fixed sights as issued many years ago. Simple is best on the trail.
  8. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    Find a SW 610. The best of both worlds.