10mm SABOT

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by balwinkie, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Hi Guys;

Seems like ya'll love your 10mms. Me too. But I also love flat, fast trajectory. So, I'm just poking around to see if I can get a round to fire out of my G29 w/5.5" Custom Bar-Stow @ >2200FPS. I think that'd be kinda cool.

balwinkie

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. It might be in that other thread, but I thought there were problems with pressure spikes

3. Please be a bit more specific regarding "pressure spikes"?

balwinkie

4. http://fivesevenreddot.com/main.sc

Out of stock, but you could contact them. Im sure there are others who have mounted such a site on their FNs.

#24 jp3975, Sep 14, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  5. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA
    CLM

I went looking for this but in 45ACP/Super. I came to the conclusion that I could sabot down to 357, but not to .224.

After learning a little about 3d printers......I think I will print myself some sabots when I get back to someplace I can test.

6. 10mm shooters don't have to go to sabots. We have 9 x 25 Dillon. And if that does not turn your crank sell the 10mm and get a 41/44 mag auto or revolver. Or a Automag .357 might fit the bill. And there is the always rare, if not sadistic small pistol primer 10mm brass that can be loaded into honest 41mag punch. But man is that stuff hard to find.

If you think you want to play with sabots. Buy a barrel and load or buy some some 9 x 25 Dillon from Double Tap. And there loads are conservative for the round. Just Saying.... :)

7. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

1600 FPS is a supersonic velocity by about 25 percent over, and it's at least as fast as any 10MM ammo on the market really goes. You can work up 9x25 loads that are faster than that, and even buy a few off the net. I know because I have a G20, a 9x25 barrel, and a chrono.

I used to shoot the .22 caliber Remington Accelerator ammo with plastic sabots out of my 30-06 back in the seventies, and I would not mess with doing it in a 10MM pistol when 9x25 barrels are available. Almost every .22 caliber varmint rifle I ever shot was more accurate than you could get shooting the same bullets with plastic sabots out of a .30 caliber barrel.

But remember that I'm talking here about thick sabots that accomplish large caliber changes. THIN plastic sabots designed to take the place of cloth patches in the bore of a muzzle loader are a totally different subject than Remington accelerators for the 30-06.

8. You're in luck! I actually make custom 10mm sabots that will allow you to achieve supersonical-like velocities from your ordinary handgun. I only accept money orders though and I do have a minimum order of $50. You can just make it out to my company "CASH." It's an acronym for Custom Aerodynamic Sabots for Handguns. I'll PM you my address if you're still interested.

#28 arclight610, Sep 15, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  9. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil
    Platinum Member

:perfect10:

10. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

Why not just buy a FN 5.7? :whistling:

11. Hahahaha. Too logical.

12. 1100fps is the sound barrier(plus or minus depending on where you are). Anything above that is supersonic.

13. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA
    CLM

I never cared for the 5.7 for several reasons.

Lets talk about the cost of ammo, then lets talk about the issues with reloads.

I know others love their 5.7, but I think it will not hold up over time.

14. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

Like a 10mm with nothing but hot reloads is going to hold up any longer?

Care to site any proof the 5.7 isn't durable or won't hold up with heavy use?

Ok then, why not just get one of those nifty AR style pistols and use the good old 5.56x45mm?

It sure beats the hell out of trying to find sabots for the 10mm! :whistling:

#34 NEOH212, Sep 17, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  15. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

Or just use a rifle if you want rifle ballistics....:whistling:

Seriously, what the hell is with this crap with so many people wanting a gun/caliber combination to do something it was never designed to do in the first place?

I don't get it and I'm glad. :shakehead:

16. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

I guess one shot total planet annihilation with the 10mm isn't enough. We now have to go to sabots so we can get the whole darn solar system too.....:whistling:

You funny Joe!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

17. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA
    CLM

Who said I was feeding my gun a steady diet of 10mm. I am using a G21. I shoot 45ACP and 45Super. The sabot idea is not just for the 10mm, but if someone gets it working for the 10mm, I can buy a conversion barrel and .....

If you are willing to put up a FN 5.7 pistol and ammo, I will be willing to do an abuse test against one of my G21s until one of the guns doesn't shoot multiple rounds. Yes, I have a test in mind that has some real world implications. (The real world basically did this test to me and my G21 a while back.) I will write up a detailed test plan if needed.

An AR pistol is a pistol by definition only. It is not in the same catagory as other pistols.

Additionally, just because I want something and I have decided it will work for me, doesn't mean you have to use it also. You can go to another thread if you are against the idea of using sabots.

18. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA
    CLM

Then why reply to this thread?

Are you that negative that you have to tell everyone that they are wrong in trying to get more out of the gun they have?

Since it appears you are that negative:
    You should probably call up all the companies with conbination guns and let them know that they are wrong.
    You should probably call up the companies make in scout rifles (Ruger, Steyr, Springfield) and let them know that there isn't a need for a generalist rifle.
    You should probably call up the bullet manufacturers and let them know that each cartridge only needs one bullet weight.
    You should probably call up all the companies and people building AR-15s in cartridges other than 5.56.

After doing that I assume you will want to branch out into other areas:
    There seems to be a lot of after market car parts designed to turn cars and trucks into things they were nit designed for. That should keep you busy for a while.

19. RWBlue;

What was the limiting factor saboting down no lower that .357?

balwinkie

20. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA
    CLM

I could buy them in the black powder section of cabelas.

Now I don't see them listed, but you can get them here

Again, I should mention I was looking to go from 45 to at least 308, but was really wanting to go to 22. So I never made the purchase.

#40 RWBlue, Sep 17, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2012