10mm on the rise!!

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by cablecutter, Dec 29, 2011.

1. A single model revolver that is simply a reintroduction is not much of a step.

Also they did not offer the 610 in all barrel lenghts and is it not a limited run gun?

That however, is a far cry from an M&P in 10mm .

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Auto ordnance made a 10mm 1911 and Thompson did also.

Don't Tread On Me

3. As this thread needs a pic, here are my 3 10mm's.

4. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

One step at a time.
  5. Well that last step will be a doozy! And will likely be down the road more traveled not less.:wavey:
  6. A poster at HKpro asked in a recent thread "why no HK handgun in 10mm?"

some of the better responses,

7. The problem with this comparison, is first, Remington doesn't load a true 10 MM load! It's closer to a 40 load. Now when you compare some of double taps offerings, you will see no comparison!
  8. arushus

arushus Biggest Member

The 10mm rounds they fired were traveling at around 1100fps. True 10mm 180gr rounds should be going over 1350fps, with a round designed to impact at that speed, not a .40sw round used in a 10mm case.
  9. Interesting. Why do they underload 10mm?
  10. All the major ammo makers underload the 10mm. If they make 10mm at all.

Liability, cost ratio and most people don't like the full power loads. Frankly most people don't shoot the 10mm.

If you want full power loads you must seek out the smaller boutique ammo makers or roll your own.

And be advised that Double Tap has had some QC issues with some versions of their ammo, bullet weights not matching the actual bullet, actual velocity not coming anywhere near advertised velocity and substituting montana gold bulets for Gold Dots but not telling you they did it.

That said most people seem satisfied with DT ammo but it has had its reported issues.
  11. Sheepdog Scout

Sheepdog Scout Behind you!

I'm not going to bother to read the entire three pages of this thread, but I'll say this. I like the 10mm cartridge and I own a G20. It can be a hoot to shoot. But honestly, I don't see where some in this thread that are saying that "10mm in on the rise". When many more ammo manufacturers come out with true 10mm loadings and more manufacturers come out with more guns in 10mm, then I'll believe people. Until then, the 10mm in an obscure or niche cartridge at best.
  12. FPS

Check out the .41 Magnum.

13. GFlory

Put me on the waiting list for one of those.
  14. wanderinwalker

wanderinwalker 6 of .44

I wanted to chime in on this yesterday but got sidetracked. Anyway...

I would suggest that the number of threads and discussions on the Internet on enthusiast boards is not a fair indicator of how popular an item actually is. Examples:

1) According to the Internet the best long-range target rifles are .300 Magnums, 7mm Magnums and really big honkin' rifles (.338 Lapua anybody?). Yet when I go to a 600 yard match, I see lots of .308s, 6mmXC, 6.5x308s, and .223s, maybe a .284 and rarely a .300 of any sort.

2) According to the Internet rifle-crank fan base, the .260 Remington is the perfect low-recoil deer rifle. Yet there is a Model 7 so chambered at one my LGS's that I'm pretty sure has sat on the used rack for a year or more now, unloved.

3) According to the Internet the 10mm Auto is on the rise. Yet I've never seen one being used at the local pistol range, seen maybe 2-3 total ever for sale at the LGS's and rarely find spent 10mm cases at the range. The last ones I spotted were aluminum CCI Blazers, and I suspect it's one person who is a regular, not multiple shooters.

4) According to the Internet anybody who walks into the great wilderness without at least a 10mm or .44 Magnum handgun is begging to get eaten and accosted. If you don't have a pistol capable of driving a hardcast slug through a Zombie Grizzly end-to-end, you're just not thinking clearly. And if you're West of the Mississippi in real animal country? Better get a real gun and leave those 10mms and .44s at home! ;)

There, I feel better now! :shocked:
    #76 wanderinwalker, Dec 31, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  15. I don't know about your gun stores nor do I care about your part of the country.

I stopped by one of my LGS's after work yesterday to pick up more brass for my 10mm and XTP's in .45 acp, 9mm, 10mm, .38/.357 and my 7.62x25. I never purchase retail ammo. Range, HD and SD ammo is all reloaded or newly built by the wife and I.

While there a nice lady was purchasing new 10mm's. A G29, G20 and a Night Guard in 10mm. And put a DE in layaway! My wife looked at me surprised as hell this little gal built much like her and approx. the same age was going to take on this hard hitting expensive to shoot 10mm.

My wife struck up a conversation with this lady after she made her purchase of weapons and 500 rounds of assorted 10mm ammo. They walked off to a quieter part of the LGS and chatted for a bit. They came back and my wife introduced me to her and informed me we have a pending dinner and range date with her and her husband next. :)

When we got in the car she told me she wanted to shoot my G20 before the dinner and range date. So she will be shooting her first 10mm in about two hours from now.

Does this prove 10mm is on the rise? It is with this little lady. And I have a feeling my wife is going to want a G29 to replace her Mod 60 Pro as her HD and range weapon after she shoots mine and this gals 29. And I hope she is on the path to making a female shooting and range buddy. Who knows,,, maybe this gals husband and I will hit it off. And we will both have new shooting buddy's.

What the 10mm did do is bring some folks together. And possibly get my wife a bit more hooked on shooting.
  16. Great at least the 10mm did something useful :supergrin:
  17. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

18. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil
    Platinum Member

I don't know about the rest of 'em, but I couldn't be happier with my .260. It recoils like a .22, drops deer in their tracks out to at least 330 yards (longs shot I've taken), and I can shoot fairly accurately out to 600 yards (I'm not that great of a shot, the gun is far more capable than I am). If I ran across a used, but not abused, .260 for a good price, I'd grab it for a backup.