Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

10mm for Elk?

Discussion in 'The 10 Ring' started by cablecutter, Jan 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cablecutter

Jan 21, 2010
    Provo, UT
    Is 10mm ethical for hunting an Elk? I know a guy here in Utah that went hunting with his G20, I know he has some max loads worked up. What are the thoughts from the 10 ringers on hunting elk with a G20?

Sorry I didn't want to hijack the other hunting thread.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
  2. Kegs

Kegs Ol 8 fingers ;)

Oct 26, 2009
    Cold side of conus
    I believe it is 100% ethical as long as range is limited to what can be consistently achieve a minimum level of accuracy of approximately 5".

Some say pie plate, but that could mean gut shot. Better safe than sorry - ruining the meat isn't cool.

The 10 mil will do the trick. Go heavy and fast for those.

This is one of the activities I had in mind for the G29 when I bought it.

Colorado says "expanding bullet ; minimum velocity 550 ft/lbs. @ 50y"

I say: 10mm 180gr xtp @ 1400 fps. :supergrin: :wavey:
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2012

3. harley45

Jan 27, 2003
    There is a TV personality named Razor Dobbs who I follow on Facebook and on TV. He recently took a nice one from a private preserve in Texas. I asked what loads he uses in his RZ-10 and he indicate the Hornady Factory 200 gr. So yes it can be done, and at some point I intend to take a Red Stag with mine!
  4. jtull7

jtull7 Pistolero CLM

Jan 27, 2006
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    I think that it is unethical. An elk is a BIG animal and they are very hard to get close to.
  5. Taterhead

Taterhead Counting Beans

Dec 13, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Flip over to rifle pages and you will find lengthy arguments about whether a .25-06 Remington is enough rifle for elk. Probably is enough rifle, but on the bubble. My 25-06 handloads would have at least 1800 more lb/ft of muzzle energy than a 10mm.

The only ethical way to hunt an elk with a 10mm is to get close enough to place a shot behind the shoulder. Broadside presentation. A shoulder shot may leave a wounded, but hard to track , animal. Hunting an animal with a platform that leaves very little margin for error is of dubious ethics in my opinion. If you can get that perfect shot, I am sure that a heavy XTP or a WFNGC bullet would work.
  6. _The_Shadow

_The_Shadow Ret. Fireman

Jul 23, 2007
    Southeast, LoUiSiAna
    I know if I were presented with the chance to make a great shot I'd take it...that being said the conditions would need to be what I would feel would make for a humane kill!
    First.....Know youself and your limitations...Don't exceed your guidelines for the task!
    Second.Know your equipment and your skill with it...practice, trigger control and accuracy are key elements.
    Third....Know your animal as a target, as well as a food source, clean kill, proper care to bring the animal preperation.

I would use the Hornady 200 grain XTP @ 1200-1250 fps inside of 150 feet to have the energy needed to deliver a precision shot.
  7. rcd567

Feb 5, 2011
    Near Glenwood, Iowa
    I wouldn't think so since I was told by an outfitter once that my 270 Winchester rifle wasn't enough.:wow: But hey, I didn't get drawn so no worries for me. Never killed one, always wanted to. Oh well...
  8. mtn_hunter

Aug 10, 2011
    I think Taterhead and Shadow summed it up well but what one also needs to consider is that elk are large and come in many different sizes. What will work on a calf in antlerless season (think nice size buck deer) will not work on a mature bull. The cows can vary is size as well. This will impact your ability to make an accurate determination of distance, it is easy to mis-judge ditances on these animals if you haven't hunted them before, maybe you have. This is even more critical with handgun hunting. So to the op are you meat hunting or trophy hunting, keep that in mind.

As for Colorado hunting a stock G29 would be illegal, minimum 4" so I hope you have an aftermarket barrel.

If a guide thinks a .270 is too light he is an idiot or trying to sell you a rifle. I have friends that have cleanly taken mature bulls with a .270. I get so tired of all the big gun bravado. Like everything else it's about shot placement. I have downed many elk over the years with my 7mm mag (many bullet weights) and more recently with my cap lock .50 cal hawken kit rifle shooting a 330 gr self cast conical over 90 grains of fff. That did just as much damage as my 7 mm mag at 50 - 75 yds, based on my unscientific eyeball assessment and memory of past hunts.

If I were hunting antlerless it would be 200gr lead at about 1250+ fps standing broadside, rib cage hit, 50 yard max.

By the way pie plate is smaller than the kill zone on any elk but you should not think of that size to be a substitute for accuracy.
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  9. 21Carrier

21Carrier Until I Gota 29

Feb 4, 2011
    Hoover, AL
    I think it's ethical, as long as you make yourself some ethical guidelines AND FOLLOW THEM. You would have to SWEAR to yourself that you would ONLY shoot under perfect conditions (broadside, within your accuracy range). I have no doubt that a 200gr WFNGC or even an XTP would penetrate more than enough with a broadside shot placement. You just have to FULLY prepare yourself to pass on what may be many potential shots. If you're the type that lacks complete self-control in exciting situations, I wouldn't try it. Remember, there's a reason "pulling out" is not an effective method of birth control. Self-control is not always easy. :supergrin: Sorry, I know that one was especially dirty.
  10. redbaron007

redbaron007 Some Dude Lifetime Member

Jan 26, 2009
    An 'ethical' kill is only based upon the individual hunter. It is a human emotion humans place on animals? Do you think nature has 'ethical' kills? What about bow hunters, are those 'ethical' kills? What about a bunch of wolves attacking an elk, is that 'ethical'? That elk suffers tremendously. Did our indian forefathers kill animals quick and painlessly with a crude arrowhead and long bow? YMMV

Now, getting to the OP's question; IMHO, yes, a 10mm will do just fine. I will say this, know your range and accuracy for your weapon; with this information, there is a higher probability you will recover the animal.

11. Kegs

Kegs Ol 8 fingers ;)

Oct 26, 2009
    Cold side of conus
    What are you Bill Clinton? We all know what "sexual" means and if you're a hunter, you know damned well what ethical means.

Get with the program.

Now, I'd like to take a moment and tell each and every one of you that I plan on killing a big bull elk with my G29 before too long, but not sure it will be in 2012.

Last time I went elk hunting I remember it costing some 600 some odd bucks for a permit plus a 20+ hour drive from here (because I'm not checking my Glock into the airlines). I can buy a lot of organic grass fed beef for that moolah, plus its no guarantee I'll take a bunch of meat home, plus that is a heck of a lot of animal to get to the ice chest (we always hope for good weather) by myself.

I know a place I can get to within 10-15 yards of an elk, if they happen to take that trail (its always hard to say where they will travel in the A/M).

Pro tip: it ain't above the timber. :wavey:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  12. redbaron007

redbaron007 Some Dude Lifetime Member

Jan 26, 2009
    Please edjucate me with the official definition. Been a hunter for a long time; never seen the definition.

What's Bill Clinton got to do with it? Sexual? :dunno:

13. SolidBrass

SolidBrass Against Shiny

Sep 2, 2011
    Hard to get close to? No, not where I live. You could pet one. Later, when you emerge from your coma you could go back and kill it with a 10mm if you wanted. Still I, as a gentle killer, would use more power.

I will say some yahooz do come to town and try to hunt Buffalo with handguns. This is similar to stalking a couch sitting out in a field in challenge level IMO. It's not always a pretty site when they fail to kill after several shots (at least on a few occasions I've heard of).

**Please no buffalo hunting with handgun hate mail
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  14. XmmAUTO

XmmAUTO 10mm Addict

Dec 31, 2010
  15. dsa1115

Sep 22, 2010
    Suburban Chicago
    Elk are large animals. If you need to ask, you know the answer. If you want to harvest Elk with a handgun, get yourself a large wheelgun IMO.
  16. Maine1

Jul 20, 2007
    There are some people with whom i am aquanted that have told me of doing this very thing. From what i understnd it was a "hey, an elk over there" type of thing, and the G-20 was to hand and did the job with good placement.

How does an elk compare to a moose, weight wise?
  17. stevenm2

Dec 30, 2011
    A couple of years ago I shot an antelope "Pronghorn" for those of you who insist.
    Clean shot through the vitals, 25-06 at pretty close to 300 yards. As I came up on the animal It was still clinging to life so I thought I would put it out of it's misery.He was already dead and did not know it and was trying to get up.

3 shots to the back of the neck (I did not want to chance hitting the horns) With a S&W.40 at about 6 ft. from a Glock 22 155 gr. bullets. factory stuff Hornady I think.
    I realize I was not shooting a 10MM However I was shooting the the same Diameter bullets at a very close range. The animal seemed unaffected by these 3 rounds although I am certain he felt it more than I did. after a couple of minutes I shot him again at the base of the neck from less than a foot away and he expired.
    I have killed several Elk myself and I will personally not be using a 10mm as my primary weapon for several reasons.
    1. I don't think it is enough gun for a thick skinned 6-800 lb. animal beyond 50 yards. These are Hardy animals. shot placement with a rifle is critical for humane harvest. They can run for Miles and Miles from a bad hit.
    2. I don't think I am willing to do the work to get ready for a hunt like that. I am not lazy it is just a lot of work and expense.
    3. I get no advantage in Oregon hunting with a pistol as far as securing a tag
    4. I have several options (better options for me) available to me.

I would consider huntin some hogs with mine.
    If you do choose to hunt Elk with a 10mm Get Close and chose your shots wisely.
    If you do everything right and do manage a clean harvest you will remember it for years.
    Good Luck and Happy Hunting
  18. Maine1

Jul 20, 2007
    Placement is an issue. i have killed animals for slaughter and euthanasia with my 10mm. Dropped 1200# animals in their tracks.

In huntind, however, the ideal shot with a pistol could be tough to get. I see it as more of a chance thing, like old Keith used to do.
  19. Foxtrotx1

Jan 29, 2010
    Scottsdale AZ
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  20. Ethereal Killer

Ethereal Killer

Aug 24, 2011
    a 10mm is NOT appropriate for elk.

I've seen elk survive a hit from a 30-378 weatherby mag, yet somehow we are to believe that a weenie auto pistol round is even a question?

no, just no.

in northern states, the 270 is considered the minimum entry rifle to elk hunting. and no one really does it with even magnum revolvers due to the distances involved.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.