Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

100 #s of linotype

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by xdmikey, Sep 4, 2011.

1. xdmikey

Dec 5, 2009
    Cypress, TX
    what do i mix it with?
    i went to my reloading shop and almost bought the pot and everything else needed but decided to wait until i can find a steady supply of wheel weights.
    any recommendations as far as what kind of melting pot and other supplies i will need?
  2. VN350X10

Apr 13, 2001
    McHenry, IL
    watch out for new wheelweights, a lot are now made of zinc.
    I believe that the EPA has finally managed to eliminate lead wheelweights, or are working hard at it.
    Others here might have more info.

uncle albert

3. xdmikey

Dec 5, 2009
    Cypress, TX
    there's a place in south houston(i'm in north houston) that sells bulk lead(recommended by reloading store)so i'll probably try there but i'm looking for a mixture using the lino i inherited. i've always heard about how great lino is for casting.
  4. fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    Lino makes beautiful bullets, but it is really too hard & expensive for plinking bullets. You can cut it 50/50 w/ pure lead & get a nice alloy that is useable for all handgun needs. It is close to Lyman #2, a bit softer, but close enough. Add 4oz of tin or 95/5 solder & you have Lyman #2. If you can get clip ww, it's about perfect by itself for most handgun needs. A 7/3 lead/lino gives you pretty close to clip ww.
    The problem going forward, states are banning them & the companies that make ww are not going to make diff alloys. So going forward you will see more zinc instead fo lead & what we used to get for free hauling away, we have to pay for & the % of lead ww left is smaller every month. If you can find a cheap source, casting is a great hobby unto itself, but if I have to pay much mor ethan $1.50/# for alloy, I am just not casting my plinking bullets.
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2011