close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

10 most violent states in the US

Discussion in 'Gun-Control Issues' started by greentriple, Apr 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greentriple

greentriple

Mar 11, 2010
    Reuters releases list of 10 most violent states:
    10: Mississippi
    9: South Carolina
    8: Arkansas
    7: Texas
    6: Missouri
    5: Arizona
    4: Florida
    3: Nevada
    2: Tennessee
    1: Louisiana

Interestingly all but Arkansas and Missouri have Republican Governors...?

2. greentriple

greentriple

Mar 11, 2010
    And to be fair....
    10 least violent:
    10: Iowa
    9: Rhode Island
    8: Hawaii
    7: Washington
    6: North Dakota
    5: Utah
    4: Minnesota
    3: New Hampshire
    2: Vermont
    1: Main

5 Democrat Governors, 4 Republican and one Independent.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012

3. jeanderson

jeanderson Toga!... Toga! Platinum Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Ohio
  4. itstime

itstime

Apr 9, 2006
    USA
    Wow. We are in the middle somewhere. Thought for sure top 10

5. 1gewehr

1gewehr

Mar 22, 2006
    Mid TN
    I'd like to see the citation for that data. Frankly, I do not believe it. the data was pretty obviously fudged in some fashion.

6. greentriple

greentriple

Mar 11, 2010
    What??? Go search Reuters. And I love your challenging the data with no basis other than "pretty obviously fudged...". Now that's scientific thinking.

7. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

Jan 26, 2001
    look at the data from the cities for each of the "violent" states. you will see the violence comes from liberal strong holds such as new orleans, memphis, atlanta....et cetera.

8. greentriple

greentriple

Mar 11, 2010
    Wait just one minute..., which one of the top ten is Atlanta in? Did someone change the location of Atlanta?

On another not that may be true, but I don't have the information from a different source other than your opinion. Which based on thinking Atlanta was relevant to the conversation concerns me.

9. HexHead

HexHead

Jul 16, 2009
    Tennessee would do a lot better if it weren't for Memphis.

How is MI not on that list, or is Detroit completely deserted now?

10. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

Jan 26, 2001
    i have some experience we could say with Atlanta regarding the rest of Georgia....thats why i included that in this group. the other in this group which i have some experience is Little Rock and North Little Rock in Arkansas.

these bastions of liberal thinking are breeding grounds for crime and bring the whole state into a bad light.

11. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    That's what I was thinking, unless longstanding crime numbers in the USA suddenly changed completely last year, somebody had to play with the stats to get those numbers.

It doesn't make it easier to believe when there is no citation and it comes from greentriple.

I assume when he implies that it is Reuters' list, it won't turn out to be some nonsense like the crazy "Global Peace Index" from "The Institute for Economics and Peace" - they don't rate your state based on the actual violence there, they rate it based on things like "police employees" and "small arms availability."

So a state with plenty of police and where [people are free to own guns gets ranked as violent, over repressive states without the evil guns, like IL.

12. robtest

robtest

Jan 31, 2012

Why tell us to search... List your source... :dunno:

13. greentriple

greentriple

Mar 11, 2010
    Hey, I'm not saying you ain't right about the cities and their crime. And as far as a citation I found it on Google searching violence in America, and I found the list from Reuters. I'm clearly aware that crime is on the decline nationwide, in fact stats in San Diego, show violent crime is down, with the exception of Homicide.

I just provide the information as publicly articulated, you all read into it your politics and emotions....

Cities, having a greater concentration of a states population, will certainly have higher crime rates than rural areas. But claiming to know about Atlanta or Little Rock because you lived and or worked there is of little if not value. Now is you have numbers from those cities as they compare to comparable sized cities governed by Republicans, well then you have an argument.

So, list 10 US cities governed by liberal nutbags as they compare to cities of equal size governed by enlightened conservatives and you'll give legs to your opinions. Before that, your beliefs, opinions and ideas with $1 might buy me a cup of cheap coffee... Which I could use right now.

14. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

Jan 26, 2001
    thats like the crackhead mayor of wash d.c. marion berry stating that d.c. is a safe town if you dont count the homicides.

15. TexasFats

TexasFats NRA, TSRA, SAF

Sep 14, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Even if it was published by Reuters, that does not, in itself, make the data reliable. Reuters likely got that data from some outside source. What was that source? Was it the Brady Center? Violence Policy Center? From whom did Reuters get that list?

16. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky

His source is what I said - I was just being sarcastic. It's from the Australian "Institute for Economics and Peace" from their "Global Peace Index." It's exactly what that title makes you think.

As I said - they consider your state more violent if it allows gun ownership or has more police officers or more people in prison.:upeyes: Let's see, who claims less guns, more criminals out of prison and less police will make a place less violent? It's not Republicans.

yeah, it's as left-wing and BS as it sounds, but it took a lot of work to figure out how to fudge the numbers just so states with more guns and less viiolent crime would look worse than states with less guns and more violent crime.

17. greentriple

greentriple

Mar 11, 2010
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/04/24/us-usa-economy-crime-idUSBRE83N04M20120424

April 24 (Reuters) - Violence and its aftermath cost the U.S. economy some $460 billion last year, according to the Institute for Economics and Peace's second annual United States Peace Index, released on Tuesday.

Those costs - which include direct burdens like medical care for victims and the prison system and indirect factors like lost productivity - vary widely by state, with the most peaceful states bearing the lowest burden and the most violent spending
    far more.

A state's level of peacefulness is not the only factor that determines the economic toll of violence; its population and level of overall economic activity also has a strong influence.

Below, a look at the cost of violence to the ten most peaceful and ten most violent U.S. states in 2012:

(Reporting by Scott Malone; Editing by Jackie Frank)

18. greentriple

greentriple

Mar 11, 2010
    Hey Wannabe, SANDAG, and the Mayor here is Republican....:tongueout:

19. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

Jan 26, 2001
    yeah i know, but after being convicted of the dope and getting re-elected he is the mayor.

20. Jerry

Jerry Staff Member Moderator Millennium Member

Dec 21, 1998
    Louisiana
    I call BS on that list. I don’t know what they are using for data but last I heard Washington DC and Illinois lead the nation is violent crime. Grated DC isn’t a state but Illinois not make it into the top ten and anyone telling me that Tennessee is more violent than Illinois and Comyfornia sets off my BS alarm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.