close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

10/22 scope for SHTF

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by Lone Kimono, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Lone Kimono

Lone Kimono

Jul 15, 2009
    Which scope would you want on a factory 10/22 if SHTF? Which hold up better than others? I know the Muller gets a lot of suggestions, but is that too much scope if it's a factory? Which rings would hold up to a beating?

I was going to post this in another section, but I'm looking for a SHTF perspective, not perfect conditions.

2. RatDrall

RatDrall

May 23, 2009
    1 Piece rings will hold up better, IMO, than 2 piece. Integral 1 Piece rings will hold up better than rings attached to a base attached to the reciever, IMO. A mount that utilizes all 4 mounting holes on the reciever will be tougher than a mount that only uses 2 of the mounting holes. I would prefer a Weigand integral ring 1 piece base. Other integral ring bases only use 2 of the mounting holes in the reciever, the Weigand uses all 4.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=140514

I would put a smaller scope, like the Leopold or Weaver 2-7x32. Small scopes are better than big ones on a "user" rimfire. No reason to make a light, compact and durable rifle heavy, unwieldy, and fragile with a giant bullseye type scope.

3. LongGun1

LongGun1 StraightShooter

If you are looking for a day/night capable SHTF Dot Optic with NV mode (that comes with a X2 Multiplier free of charge)....check out the LongGun1 tested Vortex SPARC.

Mfg states SPARC design was torture tested with 1,000 rds of .375 H&H Magnum!! :shocked:

Also does not use rings...& comes with 4 riser heights...free of charge

I tested the SPARC alongside the EOTech XPS3-1 & Aimpoint Micro T-1..

..& specific details of the SPARC are near the end this thread...

http://pullig.dyndns.org/practicalpreps/forums3/viewtopic.php?f=32&p=23079

Was hitting torso sized targets at 150 yards this weekend..(shooting freehand)..

..as fast as I could pull the trigger!

(3 to 5 bullets in the air before the sound of the 1st impacting the steel :supergrin: )

Approx $200 shipped! :thumbsup:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  4. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

Mar 17, 1999
    Western WA
    On a 10/22 I prefer a base that ties into the barrel rather than the receiver. The barrel is the important bit an doesn't have a particularly secure attachment to the receiver. Something that would bridge both would be ideal, but I've never seen one. Haven't been looking too hard though.

But like Rat said, something small, light, and less than 3x9.

5. Calhoun123

Calhoun123

Sep 20, 2005
    LA
    I'm trying to figure this out too. I'm looking at primary arms and various low power shotgun scopes.

6. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

Jan 24, 2004
    First, SHTF and 10-22 bothers me. There are a few exceptions, but in general, I think a stock 10-22 is a bad idea for SHTF.

This being said, if I had to trust my life to a scope and never be able to get a replacement or fix or ...... it would be a Leupold.

7. Arvinator

Arvinator

Jan 16, 2011
    On my 10/22 rifle, I have a Bushnell 3 x 9 power scope, and had a gunsmith mount the scope. I kept my sights on, and if the scope goes down, I'll take it off and go back to my irons.
    I sighted the scope at 50 yards, and it works fine.

8. poodleshooter1

poodleshooter1

May 3, 2005
    Really? 50 yards? Why not just use irons at that range?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  9. RichJ

RichJ

Jan 26, 2009
    Really? What's wrong with a stock 10/22?

10. RWBlue

Jan 24, 2004
    Would you recommend someone defend themselves with a 22LR?

For some reason, I don't see any military in the world switching from centerfire rifles and pistols for rim fires.

11. poodleshooter1

poodleshooter1

May 3, 2005
    Perhaps I missed it, but I didn't see the OP mention anything about self defense with the .22

12. RWBlue

Jan 24, 2004

We have already discussed the inability of self sustaining hunting in a SHTF situation and found it lacking. I will let you do the search. If you don't find the threads compelling, let me know I can lay out both arguments.

So the next step is that is is planned for some hunting, self defense and varmint control.

For hunting the 22lr is not the best.
    For self defense the 22LR is not the best.
    For varmint control, I like the 22LR, but in a SHTF sound might be an issue and do you want a 22LR in hand or something more (see self defense).

The best thing about the 22LR is the cost of the ammunition and the size of the ammunition, and the lack of recoil. These items make it GREAT for training, packing on some trips, and maybe for letting non-gun people use.

Suppressed 22LR has a SHTF purpose.
    Fully automatic 22LR has a SHTF purpose.

13. RichJ

RichJ

Jan 26, 2009
    Is a 10/22 the best for hunting or self-defense? No, but it is hard to find another firearm with the versitility of that platform.

You may not be able to self-sustain just by hunting, but you can sure suppliment quite well with it. Small game will surely present more opportunity than larger game and a high cap battle rifle like an AR/AK just isn't going to bring it home the way a .22 will.

I have all my bases covered as far as firearms go but if I could only have one out of the lot I would probably choose my 10/22.

14. RichJ

RichJ

Jan 26, 2009
    :headscratch: I guess you don't think very highly of the .22 huh?

15. RWBlue

Jan 24, 2004
    I love my 22lr rifles, pistols and conversions. I have a growing collection/addiction.

I just don't see a stock semi-auto 22LR being the best (or even close to the best) SHTF rifle. It falls into the category of "if that is the only thing you have.....use it".

16. 93GT

93GT The Ogre

Jul 6, 2002
  17. RatDrall

RatDrall

May 23, 2009
    :wavey:

http://www.ruger1022.com/docs/israeli_sniper.htm

Fieldcraft > Firepower

18. cyrsequipment

cyrsequipment Angry

Aug 8, 2004
    Maine
    From the article sited...

In 1987, the Intifada - the Palestinian uprising against the Israeli regime in the Occupied Territories - broke out, and involved mass violent clashes between Israeli security forces and Palestinians protestors. As a result, the Israeli security forces needed a weapon with a more potent firepower then the standard riot control metal covered rubber round, but at the same time less lethal then the standard issue 5.56 mm round of the M16/Galil assault rifles. So the Israeli Defense Force (IDF) searched for a 0.22 caliber accurate rifle that will be used to take out the key protest leaders by shooting them in the legs.

Not to be mean, but this is kinda what RW was saying, a .22 isn't exactly a choice weapon except for trigger practice and VERY small game. I still have a few and I love shooting them, but they are quite limited in their utility....

That said, the thread was started to discuss a scope mount that was tough... the SHTF correlation wasn't really about a "combat" weapon.

19. poodleshooter1

poodleshooter1

May 3, 2005
    I disagree, I have hunted with a .22 before and find it is about shot placement. For defensive purposes, shot placement is a little harder to manager under stress, however; that's that they have 25+round mags for. It's ammo is light, easily stocked, and you can carry a lot of it. You can dump a mag quickly, even if to keep someones head down. No, it's not the best for hunting. No, it's not the best for defense. But used correctly, they will both do.

I would be more afraid of the guy with a 10/22 who has poured 10's of thousands of rounds out of it in training than the ninja's on here who have a tricked out AR with light, red dot, sling, forward grip, but they've put only one mag through.

Finally, if that doesn't sway you, I leave you with this: If you want to volunteer to have the OP dump a mag of .22 high velocity ammo into your chest, or even in your general direction I suggest you rethink your position.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  20. RichJ

RichJ

Jan 26, 2009
    Not true. A well placed shot behind the ear is more than enough to take down a deer. I've seen several that have been brained with a .22 and they were very much dead.

A tackdriving .22 in the hands of a skilled user has as much utility as anything else so I also disagree with that point as well. There is a lot to be said about being able to hit a quarter at 50 yards with open sights.