1-stop Answers here: Spyware, Secret Installs, Popups & related

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by MB-G26, Oct 12, 2003.

1. I have Mcafee(internet suit),Lavasoft(ad-ware),Search & destroy,I downloaded Michrosoft defender,but I still seen the pop up (C.I.D)that make me crazy.I don't know what i can do to take that out of my computer. Can Somebody Help me?
    Elloquito26

2. I have Mcafee(internet suit),Lavasoft(ad-ware),Search & destroy,I downloaded Michrosoft defender,but I still seen the pop up (C.I.D)that make me crazy.I don't know what i can do to take that out of my computer. Can Somebody Help me?
    Elloquito26

3. Security Now!

Available as:

High quality 64 kbps mp3 audio file

Quarter size, bandwidth-conserving,
    16 kbps (lower quality) mp3 audio file

A web page with any supplementary notes

A web page text transcript of the episode

A simple text transcript of the episode

Ready-to-print PDF (Acrobat) transcript

Security Now!

4. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Glockin' on...

tip: run sandboxie - it's free and will sandbox all browsers (I think - I run firefox and it works with that).

http://www.sandboxie.com

you can run your sessions inside a sandbox and empty the box and get rid of all your junk..

5. For the Firefox users, don't forget to download the NoScript extension from the mozilla.com site. Adblock Plus is another extension you'll find useful and available from the same source.

6. MB-G26

MB-G26 Bk2MiscResource
    Lifetime Member

Am not, am not, am not, am not, am not! :tongueout:

(but I am secretly quite happy with having learned how to fully neuter XP over the last couple yrs. Can't believe how old some of my posts in the stickied threads are! Jeez, I was completely win98 way back then...... )

Nerds Untie!!!

OldSchool64 likes this.
  7. G33

G33 Frisky!
    Millennium Member CLM

Holy carp!
    MB is the real Brain!
    :wavey::supergrin:

OldSchool64 likes this.
  8. TBO

TBO Why so serious?
    CLM

:perfect10:
    IIRC the latest version now works in a 64 bit environment (Windows 7/Vista 64 bit versions).

I cannot recommend this product enough. Check it out.

9. how has not one person mentioned malwarebytes anti-malware here. i remove viruses all day long and its a must in my arsenal.

10. Numismatist

Numismatist 5-Stand!

Great thread, it was started in 2003 though, not sure Malwarebytes was even around.

Some of this needs updating due to several versions of browsers new since 2003, etc.

Malware sucks.:steamed:

11. macs do get viruses its just that the market is much smaller than pc's

12. webyourbusiness

if anyone runs a business and wants a trial of ESET antivirus - I can arrange that - if you have a PERSONAL computer and want a 1 year of ESETantivirus FREE OF CHARGE, let me know... :cool:

13. i wouldnt mind one :wavey:

14. webyourbusiness

you got PM

15. MB-G26

MB-G26 Bk2MiscResource
    Lifetime Member

We have "personal computers" up here, and my kid has one down at Az State University. I would be interested in learning how the free for one year ESETantiviris offer works, and what is the limit on how many recipients the one year free offer. Thanks!

16. webyourbusiness

Well I'm technically supposed to provide free licenses to business prospects - but PM me and I'll see what I can do... ;)

17. Great post, MB-G26.

One fundamental that I didn't see here and to me is the most important:

Don't allow users to be an administrator. Create an admin account with a password and have all other accounts be non admins. My ex wife's laptop with Windows 7 and NO ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE ran great without getting infected for almost 18 months. When she finally did get a malware infection, I was able to clean it by deleting her profile after backing up her files. A study I read stated that not running as an admin account will prevent about 80 percent of all malware. At my job, we simply delete the users profile when they get infected.

18. webyourbusiness

running your every day accounts as regular (non-admin) users is always a good idea - always has been - the problem is that most people don't do this! ;)