Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

1 pound propane cylinders, long term storage

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by Warp, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Warp

Jul 31, 2005
    1 pound propane cylinders, long term storage. Say in a garage. Timetable?
  2. quake

quake Millennium Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arkansas, USA
    Until they rust, basically. I have some between 10-20 years old, kept in a non-climate-controlled shop (freezing in winter, 100+ degrees in summer) with no issues.

3. pugman

May 16, 2003
    Don't know about 1#'ers but I can comment on 20's.

A friend works for a propane delivery company and started three years ago; he replaced a route driver who had been with the company ten.

This company also refills/stocks those propane exchange centers you see outside places like Walgreens or maybe a convenience store.

My buddy came to find out this guy never rotated cylinders. Some of the ones he pulled out of storage lockers had been there 5 years.

The lockers are those mesh type ones-not completely out of the elements but they get weatherized. Wisconsin winters, rain, summers with 100 degree heat.

All the seals were good; all held their pressure. He bought a couple from the company for basically nothing and we grilled all last summer with practically free gas.

I have 6 20# tanks in my garage right now; all bought new with the newest version of the coupling. Some of those are easily 5-6 years old. Again, Wisconsin weather in a non climate controlled garage--no problems ever with any of them.
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  4. kirbinster

Jan 28, 2013
    New Jersey
    I don't know, this past summer I grabbed one from my workshop and it was totally empty - I know I did not put it there that way. The shrader valves do leak over time, just like with tires.
  5. Stevekozak

Stevekozak Returning video

Nov 9, 2008
    I have been wondering about this. I have had some that were kept in climate controlled environment that I used 10 years later, no problem. Now I have my 1 pounders stored in non climate controlled garage. I am not worried about the winter, but am wondering about the heat tht will build up in there in the Arizona summer.
  6. Syclone538

Jan 8, 2006
    As long as they don't leak, until the seal falls apart or rust eats through it. If in a basement, I'd say longer then any of us.

off topic

If I used the 1 lbs tanks much, I'd probably refill them myself. Having at different times/places filled 9 to 24 oz CO2 tanks, and 20 to 100 lbs propane tanks, it can't be hard to do.
    do lot nam do boi nu xe day cac loai ban buon quan ao vest cong so nu chup anh cho be
    Have an accurate scale, and don't overfill. Don't forget to account for the weight of the adapter on the tank you are filling.
    Last edited: May 15, 2013
  7. NC Bullseye

NC Bullseye

Aug 14, 2006
    Using one now that is 25+ years old and has been connected and disconnected several times over the years. Kept is garages between FL and NC. No climate control in either.
  8. Ruble Noon

Ruble Noon "Cracker"

Feb 18, 2009
    Yep, I had a whole case of them still wrapped in the plastic, all empty after several years of storage.
  9. Stevekozak

Nov 9, 2008
    I had one leak in my truck on the way home from a camping trip. Not fun!
  10. quake

quake Millennium Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arkansas, USA
    Huh. I'd never experience a failed canister, but the replies in this thread got me wondering. I didn't go thru everything, but cut open & checked the top three cases and all good to go. Brands were Gerett, Ozark Trail and Bernzomatic. Bernzomatics are the tall cans, the others are the shorter squatty ones. Thirty-three cans in all (since top case was already open & being used from), all seem fine.

Course, now I may have jinxed myself...
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  11. Hummer

Hummer Big Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Western Colorado
    I have about 70 one pound cylinders that have been refilled 1-3 times. They are stored in my garage and hunting trailer, hot in summer, cold in winter. I carefully check for leaks when they are refilled. Never had one leak in storage. Most are Coleman brand, up to 25 yrs old.

Reminds me, I need to refill about 40 of them now. If I can't get them to seal completely when I refill, I leave them outside to bleed off, then toss them in the metal scrap bin.
  12. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

May 1, 2008
    I have some that are 15 yrs old. Work fine and no leaks.
  13. Warp

Jul 31, 2005
    Mine have been in non-climate controlled storage in Georgia for about 5 years, on average, and some 7 years or more. Haven't used any of them.

Next question: Any safety issues to using them if they may have leaked or had a leak? Is there a noticeable odor if it is actively leaking?
  14. Stevekozak

Nov 9, 2008
    You will smell them if they leak much in an enclosed space. They have the typical propane smell.
  15. Babynine

Dec 8, 2009
    I just wanted to point out that with storing a pressurized explosive fuel, if there is a problem it just may be a BIG problem. 5 or 6 years ago a house in Madison exploded with such force it knocked the neighboring homes off their foundations, and blew out windows of multiple homes across the street more than 150ft away. I believe it was a single 20lb propane tank that did it, at least that is what was reported.

I know most don't store the stuff in their homes, but even a garage, attached or not could be an issue. Denatured alcohol seems to be a much safer cooking fuel to store as it not explosive.
  16. dissthis

dissthis Gun Fan

Aug 24, 2005
    Marietta, GA
    Only time I have trouble with them is they tend to leak from attaching them and un-attaching them to stoves or lanterns...last camping this happened to two.
  17. dougader

Apr 17, 2004
    I worked on a propane tank explosion case about six years ago. It is possible to overfill the older tanks. Fill outside in cold then take inside a warm house and they will blow, and if there is an open flame people will be burned very badly.

I've seen the pictures and the scars, and it's something I wouldn't wish on almost anyone.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  18. Aceman

Nov 30, 2008
    Good tip - stock in the summer!
  19. dougader

Apr 17, 2004
    The problem is the tank was seriously overfilled. The expert witness on the case testified that the pressure reached in the neighborhood of 800,000 psi for those seals to blow.
  20. JohnnyReb

JohnnyReb Lifetime Member

Sep 20, 2004
    I store 1lb canisters to run a camping stove, buddy heater, and torches from time to time.

As long as the seals remain in tact, you are good to go. I've used 20yo canisters without problems.

The cheapest place I've found them locally is Lowes. 4 canisters for $6 and change IIRC.