close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

1 more try.

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by Teecher45, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Teecher45

Teecher45

Jan 29, 2010
    I want a 1911, but I want one of those that works. Every time, all of the time.
    A little background. I've owned six 1911's. Two springfield's (1 loaded that was pretty bad as far as not liking hollow points, and an operator with rail that wouldn't eject), one kimber (that was the best shooting pistol I've ever owned but wouldn't work at all with HP's), and 3 Colts. Now, I must profess a liking for Colt. My father used to have an old Cold Govt. that was great as far as reliability goes but lost it in a robbery several years ago. I also have a 6920. So I bought a blued Govt. and it was pretty bad as far as accuracy goes. Since then I've had two Lightweight Commanders and one wouldn't eject a whole magazine to save its (or my) life, the other wouldn't keep 3 out of 5 rounds on a paper plate from 10 yards. I really, really wanted to love my blued commander (IMO the most beautiful gun I've ever owned) but just couldn't trust it. All above pistols were broken-in.
    So now, I want try it again, except this time I will be more patient. I will even send them back to the factory if need be. Then I will want to have a little work done here and there by a qualified gunsmith.
    This will be my everything pistol, CC, HD, range. Would like it to be lightweight, and commander length. Made in USA (just cause), and blued (just cause). Last, but not least, I want it to be as accurate and reliable as my G-21 (for those that have shot one).
    So I guess what I'm asking is what would be the best base pistol that fits my description to be tweaked (bob tailed) later? And let's keep it around 1 grand for now.
    Thanks guys.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  2. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

Colt or Kimber or Springfield + Chuck Rogers = Perfection. Do some searching on that name and see his work. Or wait for someone(you know who you guys are) to post pics of thiers.

3. Roydrage

Roydrage

May 24, 2012
    TRP

Best Production 1911 without getting into ultra priced models.

I have one 5000rnds without one hickup, I have 3 friends I made get one... 12,000 rounds between them without ONE PROBLEM.

Your Best Friend. It will never let you down....

Put together in the U.S. and fitted by Gunsmiths not machines... expect to pay around $1,500 and worth every penny. Magwell, Ambi Saftey. Ready to go.

JUST GET IT!

Tony

4. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
    Chuck Rogers does GREAT work. :thumbsup:

5. Teecher45

Teecher45

Jan 29, 2010
    Yes, I have a friend that has one and it is cool. But, do you CC that thing? It seemed like it weighed more than my .44 mag!

6. Roydrage

Roydrage

May 24, 2012
    It might be slightly heavier... But it's got to be close... Maybe that's why it feels so, and IS so solid.

You can't have everything...

All I know is... I've got $4k plus guns, and the TRP is on my night stand.

Tony

7. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
    I'd say the TRP is a great production 1911 without a doubt. I have 3 of them and they're all great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They've all had a little tweeking. :)

8. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    Colt Government Model Series 80 in .38Super. I have two of these and they put the fancier Colts to shame. Two guns in two different years' production batches that are that good cant be a fluke.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

9. Teecher45

Teecher45

Jan 29, 2010
    Yes, I've got too much in guns too, mostly hunting guns.
    But the question is, does anyone actually CC that big damn thing?
    Keep in mind my EDC is a G27 in a Theis. Awfully hard to beat.

10. QNman

QNman resU deretsigeR Silver Member

Oct 5, 2005
    St. Louis, MO
    I gotta know... grips?

11. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
    With the right belt and holster, it's a breeze to CC a fullsize 1911. :cool:

12. Fuerte

Fuerte Cigar?

Apr 29, 2005
    The Woodlands, TX
    I had a STI Trojan for a while. It ran flawlessly.

13. okie

okie GT Mayor

Oct 28, 2001
    Muskogee Ok.
    Let me say this please, the 1911 was designed to run hardball ammo and we shouldn't get upset if a 1911 doesn't run JHP's. Having said this my SARO runs JHP all day long, and FMJ all day long also. I have NO reason to send my RO off to a smith, it does what it should right out of the box. Teecher45 go have a look see at a Springfield Armory Range Officer:thumbsup:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  14. QNman

Oct 5, 2005
    St. Louis, MO
  15. okie

okie GT Mayor

Oct 28, 2001
    Muskogee Ok.
    VZ grip panels for sure:thumbsup:

[​IMG][​IMG]

16. Short Cut

Short Cut PatrioticMember CLM

Apr 28, 2002
    Above ground
    It's kind of funny I think how a lightweight commander seems like such an excellent carry gun, yet they seem to be under represented at your local gunstore particularly ones that are higher end and good to go. For starters a few of the good makers out there don't make a 4.25" commander, they make them 4 inches even. Why does that bother me, dunno, just like the true 4 and a quarter inches a lot better. Brown doesn't make one, Baer stopped making their Concept X, S&W has a PC LW Commander out worth checking on, but the price will be higher than a grand for sure. S&W's regular line of LW Commander are just ok imo after owning 2.

The best I came up with was finding a discontinued Baer Concept X.

[​IMG]

17. QNman

Oct 5, 2005
    St. Louis, MO
    Purdy. I need a commander in the collection. Baer is on the list for sure.

18. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
    I agree, I'm a huge fan of LW Commanders and CCO's. But, Brown has always made a true Commander in 4.25". And they've been making a LW KC for over a year. My KC isn't the LW frame, but it's bobtailed and I love it all the same. :cool:

19. Short Cut

Short Cut PatrioticMember CLM

Apr 28, 2002
    Above ground
    Well color me behind the times, the Brown LW news hadn't hit me here in CA behind enemy lines. :supergrin: Is it bobtailed only? The bobtail is a heck of an inovation for carry, but personally I just can't get used to how it points especially if I'm also shooting non-bobtailed 1911s.

I'll check it out. Thanks 2740. :patriot: