Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

+1 carry?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Phantom465, May 13, 2011.

1. Phantom465

Jul 19, 2010
    Columbus, OH
    Just wondering how many people carry with a full magazine plus one in the chamber. With my G30, the slide is noticeably harder to pull back if it's resting on a full mag. I haven't tested this at the range yet, but I wonder if that extra tension might cause it to malfunction on the first shot.
  2. dgg9

May 26, 2000
    Bucks County, PA, USA
    In 10+ years of GT, I've never heard anyone notice that happening. Back when I carried a 10 or 9 rd Glock (30, 26, 27), I always carried "+1."

Now that I carry 15 or 17 rd Glocks, I never carry +1. Instead of the phantom and probably imaginary "tension might make the first round FTE" problem, I'm worried about the phantom and probably imaginary "full mag might wear out the mag spring earlier than downloaded by 1" problem.
    Last edited: May 13, 2011

3. In this age of CADs and ISO production standards down to the nano-millimeters of tolerance, each gun still has it's own characteristics. So even if "every" poster here tells you it is not a problem, you absolutely need to 'proof' you gun for yourself.

Go to the range, top off your mags and shoot under the above condition.

Remember to 'proof' using your intended carry ammo. Why? Because if you 'proof' using brand X ammo (which may be underpowered or whatever), you may have failure issues. But had you 'proofed' with your intend carry ammo, which is (let's say) +P, there would be no failure issues.

My general rule of thumb is to fire at least 500 rounds through an intended carry gun. And of the 500, at least 200 of those rounds are my intended carry rounds.
  4. I carry a G30 SF in Condition 1, and I noticed the more-effort slide-rack. However, I have never had any malfunction with my G30.
    I'd be interested in hearing others' opinions/experiences.
  5. jeffyjeff

jeffyjeff awesome sauce

Aug 18, 2010
    glock 26(pg2733), 11+1
  6. Just1More

Mar 18, 2009
  7. cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    Just curious but why cycle the slide on a full mag? Why not insert the mag on a locked back slide? Unless you're carrying chamber empty, but this thread was about +1.
  8. cbus

Apr 12, 2008
    St Louis, MO
    I tend to download my mags by one. They seat easier with a round in the chamber. YMMV.
  9. I always carry with a full mag and one in the chamber. Knock on wood, I never had a malfunction.

On a similar note.
    I recently was issued by my P.D. a generation two G23. I noticed the slide was easier to pull back then my Generation 3 G22 and G27. I was thinking this was due to the age or use on the guide rod spring. Did they change the guide rod spring between generation 2 to 3? I suspect not? Anyone have input?

Thought about replacing the spring on the Gen 2 G23. What do GT think?
  10. r3dot

Sep 6, 2007
    Izzerwat TX
    G19 gen4 w/ 15 +1. 15 is more than sufficient, I'm sure, but who knows, that 16th one may save my life.
  11. racer88

racer88 NRA & SAF mbr

Oct 14, 2009
    +1 here, too. Always.
  12. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
  13. IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    You know, if you do a search, you'll come up with approximately 8 quadrillion threads on this subject. :)

Plus 1, always.

14. John Biltz

John Biltz

Jul 27, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    I've got about 500 rounds on my G30 and I'm working my way through testing 100 rounds through each new magazine. When I test the magazine I test for +1 cycling. The three I've tested so far all worked just fine.
  15. gjk5

gjk5 Pinche Gringo

always on all pistols
  16. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

Sep 20, 2003
    Penn's Woods
    The only 2 (maybe 3) times my Glock 21 ever FTF'd on me, I was +1 loaded; and it was the 2nd round up that choked. I never loaded +1 with any 1911 pattern I've ever used (5 of them over 30, some odd, years). My Marine Corps uncles frowned on +1 loading a 1911, and taught me to avoid it. (They were correct!) If you can't do it with 13 rounds then you ain't going to. ;)
    Last edited: May 14, 2011