close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

1.1 million in North America an Growing...

Discussion in 'Religious Issues' started by Kingarthurhk, Apr 22, 2012.

1. rgregoryb

rgregoryb Sapere aude

Oct 20, 2004
    Republic of Alabama
    "There's a sucker born every minute" is a phrase often credited to P. T. Barnum (1810–1891), an American showman. It is generally taken to mean that there will always be many gullible people in the world.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012

2. Maybe if you had been a Seventh-day Adventist instead of a Methodist you would have found a reason to believe.

A couple of years ago I was visiting in a mission field and the Methodist Church gave up 80 of its mission churches to us. They have forgotten the Gospel commission of Jesus to go into all the world and focused inward instead.

Matthew 10:8 Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely you have received, freely give.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  3. rgregoryb

rgregoryb Sapere aude

Oct 20, 2004
    Republic of Alabama
    METHODIST?????..........I've never been a methodist

Why would a sane person be SDA with their track record of utter flops and misses in the "prophecy" field?

Beside that I like Scotch and beer too much, might as well be muslim as SDA

4. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk Isaiah 53:4-9

Sep 5, 2010
    Texas
    Please elaborate on your allegation.

5. rgregoryb

rgregoryb Sapere aude

Oct 20, 2004
    Republic of Alabama
    Ellen G. White endorsed a false prophecy by William Miller that Christ would return, first in 1843 and then 1844. Miller repented when Christ didn't show up on his date but Ellen didn't want to be viewed as a false prophetess for endorsing him through her visions. The idea was concocted by one of her followers that the date was right, but the event was wrong. Ellen eagerly accepted this "out", and this explanation was offered to explain away the false prophecy:

Christ didn't come visibly to earth, but He, invisibly, in heaven, changed compartments from the Holy to the Most Holy in 1844 and began the work of "investigative judgment" .

6. 427

Nov 23, 2009
    KUMSC
    So, if I share particular adventist christian beliefs, and ignore all other christian teachings that you all don't agree with, will I somehow be saved in the time of trouble and able to fight spiritual enemies, is that right? Your version of christianity is right and all others are wrong, is that right?

7. G23Gen4TX

G23Gen4TX

Nov 9, 2010
    Lol at religious people fighting with each other.

200 years from now scientology is going to be the number one religion.

Jesus's going to freak out when he lands back on earth with his spaceship.

8. rgregoryb

rgregoryb Sapere aude

Oct 20, 2004
    Republic of Alabama
    Investigative judgement
    baptismal regeneration
    soul sleep

9. Gunhaver

Gunhaver the wrong hands

Jan 24, 2012
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veCSPjSeBRw"]Family Guy - religious commentary.mp4 - YouTube[/ame]

10. rgregoryb

rgregoryb Sapere aude

Oct 20, 2004
    Republic of Alabama
    not religious anymore ...pointing out how taking an already "way out there" belief and adding even more "way out there" theology is counter productive, and the fact that an organization is growing is not a sign of "being right"

cause as a friend of mine always said " a circus will draw a crowd"

11. Kingarthurhk

Sep 5, 2010
    Texas
    The Millerite movement was a Baptist movement. Adventism was not part of the Millerites. Now, many groups developed after this event. These include Millerite Baptists, Seventh-Day Baptists, The World Wide Church of God, and later Seventh-Day Adventists.

So, for a a former detective, you may wish to investigate your claims a bit further, you have not made the case.

12. Kingarthurhk

Sep 5, 2010
    Texas
  13. Kingarthurhk

Sep 5, 2010
    Texas
    The Investigative Judgment, what do you think it means? I suspect it isn't what you are assuming it to mean.

I have no clue what on earth you mean by baptismal regeneration.

And what you call "soul sleep" or death being called a "sleep" was discussed by Jesus Himself.

Luke 8:51-53, "<sup>51</sup> When he arrived at the house of Jairus, he did not let anyone go in with him except Peter, John and James, and the child’s father and mother. <sup id="en-NIV-25298" class="versenum">52</sup> Meanwhile, all the people were wailing and mourning for her. “Stop wailing,” Jesus said. “She is not dead but asleep
    <sup id="en-NIV-25299" class="versenum">53</sup> They laughed at him, knowing that she was dead. <sup id="en-NIV-25300" class="versenum">54</sup> But he took her by the hand and said, “My child, get up!” <sup id="en-NIV-25301" class="versenum">55</sup> Her spirit returned, and at once she stood up. Then Jesus told them to give her something to eat. <sup id="en-NIV-25302" class="versenum">56</sup> Her parents were astonished, but he ordered them not to tell anyone what had happened."

This is repeated in the Gospels of Luke and Mark.

John 11:1-43, "<sup>1</sup> Now a man named Lazarus was sick. He was from Bethany, the village of Mary and her sister Martha. <sup id="en-NIV-26526" class="versenum">2</sup> (This Mary, whose brother Lazarus now lay sick, was the same one who poured perfume on the Lord and wiped his feet with her hair.) <sup id="en-NIV-26527" class="versenum">3</sup> So the sisters sent word to Jesus, “Lord, the one you love is sick.”

<sup id="en-NIV-26528" class="versenum">4</sup> When he heard this, Jesus said, “This sickness will not end in death. No, it is for God’s glory so that God’s Son may be glorified through it.” <sup id="en-NIV-26529" class="versenum">5</sup> Now Jesus loved Martha and her sister and Lazarus. <sup id="en-NIV-26530" class="versenum">6</sup> So when he heard that Lazarus was sick, he stayed where he was two more days, <sup id="en-NIV-26531" class="versenum">7</sup> and then he said to his disciples, “Let us go back to Judea
    <sup id="en-NIV-26532" class="versenum">8</sup> “But Rabbi,” they said, “a short while ago the Jews there tried to stone you, and yet you are going back?”
    <sup id="en-NIV-26533" class="versenum">9</sup> Jesus answered, “Are there not twelve hours of daylight? Anyone who walks in the daytime will not stumble, for they see by this world’s light. <sup id="en-NIV-26534" class="versenum">10</sup> It is when a person walks at night that they stumble, for they have no light
    <sup id="en-NIV-26535" class="versenum">11</sup> After he had said this, he went on to tell them, “Our friend Lazarus has fallen asleep; but I am going there to wake him up
    <sup id="en-NIV-26536" class="versenum">12</sup> His disciples replied, “Lord, if he sleeps, he will get better.” <sup id="en-NIV-26537" class="versenum">13</sup> Jesus had been speaking of his death, but his disciples thought he meant natural sleep.
    <sup id="en-NIV-26538" class="versenum">14</sup> So then he told them plainly, “Lazarus is dead, <sup id="en-NIV-26539" class="versenum">15</sup> and for your sake I am glad I was not there, so that you may believe. But let us go to him
    <sup id="en-NIV-26540" class="versenum">16</sup> Then Thomas (also known as Didymus<sup class="footnote" value='[a]'>[a]</sup>) said to the rest of the disciples, “Let us also go, that we may die with him.” Jesus Comforts the Sisters of Lazarus

<sup id="en-NIV-26541" class="versenum">17</sup> On his arrival, Jesus found that Lazarus had already been in the tomb for four days. <sup id="en-NIV-26542" class="versenum">18</sup> Now Bethany was less than two miles<sup class="footnote" value='[b]'>[b]</sup> from Jerusalem, <sup id="en-NIV-26543" class="versenum">19</sup> and many Jews had come to Martha and Mary to comfort them in the loss of their brother. <sup id="en-NIV-26544" class="versenum">20</sup> When Martha heard that Jesus was coming, she went out to meet him, but Mary stayed at home.

<sup id="en-NIV-26545" class="versenum">21</sup> “Lord,” Martha said to Jesus, “if you had been here, my brother would not have died. <sup id="en-NIV-26546" class="versenum">22</sup> But I know that even now God will give you whatever you ask.”
    <sup id="en-NIV-26547" class="versenum">23</sup> Jesus said to her, “Your brother will rise again
    <sup id="en-NIV-26548" class="versenum">24</sup> Martha answered, “I know he will rise again in the resurrection at the last day.”
    <sup id="en-NIV-26549" class="versenum">25</sup> Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; <sup id="en-NIV-26550" class="versenum">26</sup> and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this
    <sup id="en-NIV-26551" class="versenum">27</sup> “Yes, Lord,” she replied, “I believe that you are the Messiah, the Son of God, who is to come into the world.”
    <sup id="en-NIV-26552" class="versenum">28</sup> After she had said this, she went back and called her sister Mary aside. “The Teacher is here,” she said, “and is asking for you.” <sup id="en-NIV-26553" class="versenum">29</sup> When Mary heard this, she got up quickly and went to him. <sup id="en-NIV-26554" class="versenum">30</sup> Now Jesus had not yet entered the village, but was still at the place where Martha had met him. <sup id="en-NIV-26555" class="versenum">31</sup> When the Jews who had been with Mary in the house, comforting her, noticed how quickly she got up and went out, they followed her, supposing she was going to the tomb to mourn there.
    <sup id="en-NIV-26556" class="versenum">32</sup> When Mary reached the place where Jesus was and saw him, she fell at his feet and said, “Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died.”
    <sup id="en-NIV-26557" class="versenum">33</sup> When Jesus saw her weeping, and the Jews who had come along with her also weeping, he was deeply moved in spirit and troubled. <sup id="en-NIV-26558" class="versenum">34</sup> “Where have you laid him?” he asked.
    “Come and see, Lord,” they replied.
    <sup id="en-NIV-26559" class="versenum">35</sup> Jesus wept.
    <sup id="en-NIV-26560" class="versenum">36</sup> Then the Jews said, “See how he loved him!”
    <sup id="en-NIV-26561" class="versenum">37</sup> But some of them said, “Could not he who opened the eyes of the blind man have kept this man from dying?” Jesus Raises Lazarus From the Dead

<sup id="en-NIV-26562" class="versenum">38</sup> Jesus, once more deeply moved, came to the tomb. It was a cave with a stone laid across the entrance. <sup id="en-NIV-26563" class="versenum">39</sup> “Take away the stone,” he said.

“But, Lord,” said Martha, the sister of the dead man, “by this time there is a bad odor, for he has been there four days.”
    <sup id="en-NIV-26564" class="versenum">40</sup> Then Jesus said, “Did I not tell you that if you believe, you will see the glory of God
    <sup id="en-NIV-26565" class="versenum">41</sup> So they took away the stone. Then Jesus looked up and said, “Father, I thank you that you have heard me. <sup id="en-NIV-26566" class="versenum">42</sup> I knew that you always hear me, but I said this for the benefit of the people standing here, that they may believe that you sent me
    <sup id="en-NIV-26567" class="versenum">43</sup> When he had said this, Jesus called in a loud voice, “Lazarus, come out <sup id="en-NIV-26568" class="versenum">44</sup> The dead man came out, his hands and feet wrapped with strips of linen, and a cloth around his face. Jesus said to them, “Take off the grave clothes and let him go

So, scripture makes this point very clear.

Romans 3:3-4, "<sup>3</sup> What if some were unfaithful? Will their unfaithfulness nullify God’s faithfulness? <sup id="en-NIV-27996" class="versenum">4</sup> Not at all! Let God be true, and every human being a liar. As it is written:
    “So that you may be proved right when you speak
    and prevail when you judge.”<sup class="footnote" value='[a]'>[a]</sup>

14. Just curious... what is the basis for vegetarianism, and how mandatory vs. recommended is it?

I seem to recall that you, or perhaps Vic, has mentioned consuming meat on occasion.

Thanks,
    -ArtificialGrape

15. Kingarthurhk

Sep 5, 2010
    Texas
    It was me. It is by no means manditory. However, vegetarianism is a healthier lifestyle. I am by no means a carnivore, but to give you an idea, I just had salmon for dinner, and a turkey sandwhich yeterday.

I was raised with some meat, just not a lot of it. Modern science has caught up and demonstrated the potential carcenogenic link to meat consumption.

I try to keep a balance.

16. rgregoryb

rgregoryb Sapere aude

Oct 20, 2004
    Republic of Alabama
    so, E G White has nothing to do with current SDA?

17. rgregoryb

rgregoryb Sapere aude

Oct 20, 2004
    Republic of Alabama
    according to E G "White

18. Kingarthurhk

Sep 5, 2010
    Texas
    The current SDA, yes. She was not William Miller, not predicted the things that William Miller said. It is a bit like me accusing you of being Artificial Grape.

19. Kingarthurhk

Sep 5, 2010
    Texas
    Now, you are answering yourself? That's just confusing.