GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 15:42   #1676
Robs_G23
Member
 
Robs_G23's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: UT
Posts: 26
I built my Timberwolf Compact with all OEM Glock 19 parts. The latest gen magazines work fine in my frame. All parts fit well and the rail is straight. I don't have a light to try out on the rail, but might be able to locate one soon. I need to find some time to put some rounds downrange.

Sponsor Showcase
Robs_G23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:17   #1677
doodi1
Senior Member
 
doodi1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Reston Virginia
Posts: 124
I have not built my frame yet, because I don't have all of the parts, but i tried the slides from my other three gen. 3 G19's on it and they slid on nice and straight.

The Glock light is a bit loose on the accessory rail and rattles around a bit.
doodi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 20:28   #1678
WDN
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Illinois
Posts: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodi1 View Post
I have not built my frame yet, because I don't have all of the parts, but i tried the slides from my other three gen. 3 G19's on it and they slid on nice and straight.

The Glock light is a bit loose on the accessory rail and rattles around a bit.
Do the slides seem a bit loose compared to your G19's. My proto rails are smaller than my 2 G19's creating a sloppy frame/slide fit up. On a defensive gun, it may be fine. On a competition gun, to loose for me. I would rather the rails be over-sized and fit the slide myself. I can make them smaller but I cant make them bigger.

I did take mine out and shot it with target and defensive ammo. No malfunctions. Haven't been able to post my final opinions yet. Maybe this weekend.

Last edited by WDN; 01-03-2013 at 20:39..
WDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 13:07   #1679
doodi1
Senior Member
 
doodi1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Reston Virginia
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDN View Post
Do the slides seem a bit loose compared to your G19's. My proto rails are smaller than my 2 G19's creating a sloppy frame/slide fit up. On a defensive gun, it may be fine. On a competition gun, to loose for me. I would rather the rails be over-sized and fit the slide myself. I can make them smaller but I cant make them bigger.

I did take mine out and shot it with target and defensive ammo. No malfunctions. Haven't been able to post my final opinions yet. Maybe this weekend.
I'll try it again, but without the parts and locking block I'm not sure I will get a good feel for how loose the slide is. I'll report back tomorrow.
doodi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 14:59   #1680
gtistile
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 7
Are these still unavailable? I have been reading that this frame has been in the works since at least early 2010... I inquired about the compact since I handled the full size frame at a gun show a few months back and have been told on several occasions that it would be available by Christmas, and if not, certainly by the first of the year.

Are the ones you guys are receiving and posting about still the prototype units? And how can there be so many problems with something that is so similar to the full size, and has been 3 years in the making? I guess I am just bummed to hear these things since I really thought I had found the answer to my CC needs
gtistile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:14   #1681
doodi1
Senior Member
 
doodi1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Reston Virginia
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDN View Post
Do the slides seem a bit loose compared to your G19's. My proto rails are smaller than my 2 G19's creating a sloppy frame/slide fit up. On a defensive gun, it may be fine. On a competition gun, to loose for me. I would rather the rails be over-sized and fit the slide myself. I can make them smaller but I cant make them bigger.

I did take mine out and shot it with target and defensive ammo. No malfunctions. Haven't been able to post my final opinions yet. Maybe this weekend.
I tried it again with my G19 slide and there is a bit of movement side to side, but I cannot say it is due to the rails being undersized or because the frame is totally bare and devoid of locking block and slide lock, etc. I'm too lazy to fully strip a built G19 and transfer the parts. Will be ordering the needed parts very soon so I can complete this frame.
doodi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:10   #1682
Walkertl
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 96
Frame received and assembled, and fired 500+ rounds using Glock 13 and 15-round 40sw mags.

1. All internal parts fit with no issues.

2. Slide to frame fit appears to be the same as my original G23.

3. My Glock 13-round 40sw mags fit extremely snug against the bottom of the frame. You have to smack them to get the release to catch, and then you don't get a positive "snap", loaded or not. The front 1/2-inch of the baseplate is actually touching the frame. This occurs whether the top end is installed, or not. The pictures in post #1666, by khamill2000, look exactly like what I am encountering. http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show...941892&page=67

4. Glock 15-round mags snap in with no issues, full or not. Positive engagement.

5. All mags used dropped free with no issues, loaded or not.

6. Backstrap (larger) stayed attached with no noticeable movement.

7. No feed issues of any kind.

8. Slide used: Arotek hybrid compensated G23.

9. Ammo used: My own reloads and Hornady Critical Defence.

The only thing that thing that I found to be an issue is the fit and retention of the 13-round 40sw mag that I have.
When inserted and smacked, the mag catch did not completely engage the mag. With the 15-round mags the right side of the catch was flush with the frame, as expected, but with the 13-round the catch did not fit flush.

After carefully shaving the top of the baseplate so that with a 13-round mag fully loaded and inserted I could easily slide a piece of paper between the baseplate and the bottom of the frame, the mag seated fully and the catch engaged completely. I have had no problems with the 13-round mag after the modification.

Conclusions\Impressions: I like it! Very comfortable to use, no accuracy issues changing from stock to LWD frame, and no reliability issues to this point. After the 13-round mag modification, and 500+ rounds downrange, I feel comfortable carrying the pistol and LWD frame on a daily basis. I normally carry with the 13-round inserted, and a 15-round as a backup.


Walker
Walkertl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 13:12   #1683
gtistile
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 7
Are these prototype or production frames that you guys are building??????
gtistile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 13:57   #1684
Robs_G23
Member
 
Robs_G23's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: UT
Posts: 26
The Timberwolf Compacts are the prototype frames (production Compacts should come out soon). I also built a G22 type pistol on a Timberwolf Full-size production frame about a year ago and it works great. I have a 40 cal. and 9mm barrel for the full-size, shoots great...

Last edited by Robs_G23; 01-06-2013 at 13:58..
Robs_G23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 16:14   #1685
gtistile
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 7
The same "out soon" as in '09-'10? Or is this a different "out soon"??? because I was told I could have a production unit in hand by now... Come to find out it's a mess, and STILL not available... Anyhow I gave up on this and took my $ to the local shop yesterday and scooped a factory unit...that *works*
gtistile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 18:43   #1686
tacdriver22mk2
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtistile View Post
The same "out soon" as in '09-'10? Or is this a different "out soon"??? because I was told I could have a production unit in hand by now... Come to find out it's a mess, and STILL not available... Anyhow I gave up on this and took my $ to the local shop yesterday and scooped a factory unit...that *works*
defiantly would not call it a mess the proto frames have been out for a couple weeks the production frame should be out soon as in a month or two but then again i dont work for LWD nor do i really have anything to base the timeline off of besides gut feeling

point is production frame could come out tomorrow for all i know but i will also tell you LWD has THE BEST customer service i have ever had glock i cannot say the same for
tacdriver22mk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:06   #1687
gtistile
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacdriver22mk2 View Post
defiantly would not call it a mess the proto frames have been out for a couple weeks the production frame should be out soon as in a month or two but then again i dont work for LWD nor do i really have anything to base the timeline off of besides gut feeling

point is production frame could come out tomorrow for all i know but i will also tell you LWD has THE BEST customer service i have ever had glock i cannot say the same for

Eh... 3-4+? years to make this thing and the magazines dont lock in to place? Mag release not working correctly? Slides flopping around on top of the gun? Lights not locking down tight on the frames...etc? Personally the best customer service is the customer service I dont need. I had really thought this could be something that could be used as a concealed/defensive weapon and I really liked how the full size fit in my hand so it just made sense... It sounds more like this will be a range gun that will require constant tinkering. Just not what I'm looking for, nor what I had expected. All is well though. Good luck to you guys that have been waiting all this time
gtistile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 20:49   #1688
Walkertl
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtistile View Post
Eh... 3-4+? years to make this thing and the magazines dont lock in to place? Mag release not working correctly? Slides flopping around on top of the gun? Lights not locking down tight on the frames...etc? Personally the best customer service is the customer service I dont need. I had really thought this could be something that could be used as a concealed/defensive weapon and I really liked how the full size fit in my hand so it just made sense... It sounds more like this will be a range gun that will require constant tinkering. Just not what I'm looking for, nor what I had expected. All is well though. Good luck to you guys that have been waiting all this time
Thanks for the well wishes...

Since this is a prototype (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/prototype), I fully expected some issues. So far, the mag problem is the only one I've encountered. I don't have any issues with the slide to frame fit, and I'm using a Gen2 slide. As for a light/laser, for me it doesn't make a difference, since I have no interest in placing one on my CC weapon.

LWD gave us a bottom line price, and the opportunity to field test a new frame, prior to it going into production. I appreciate the chance to put it through its paces, and to see what issues arise.

It's too bad you weren't able to pick up one of the prototypes. Having handled a full size LWD frame, you might have been able to provide some insight on the differences.

By the way... Welcome to the forum....


Walker

Last edited by Walkertl; 01-07-2013 at 20:52.. Reason: spelling
Walkertl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 21:02   #1689
number1gun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 201
Not really looking to derail but..? Have the patents run out on Glock. Is it now a free for all like 1911's. Curious.
number1gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 17:22   #1690
WDN
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Illinois
Posts: 541
Wow, this thread has grown silent. JR, you still out there man? Do you still have all your hair or did you pull it out?
WDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 19:17   #1691
JR
GT Sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 1998
Location: Oldtown Idaho USA
Posts: 3,936
Send a message via AIM to JR Send a message via Yahoo to JR
gtistile,
__________________
www.lonewolfdist.com

Last edited by JR; 01-24-2013 at 19:28.. Reason: premature send-a-lation...... opps!
JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 19:26   #1692
JR
GT Sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 1998
Location: Oldtown Idaho USA
Posts: 3,936
Send a message via AIM to JR Send a message via Yahoo to JR
gtistile, Welcome to GT. I see you have only been here a little while so it is easy to understand how confused you are. Had you taken the time to browse through the 1686 previous posts you would see this "compact TW" project is the second in line of a total 3 new frames. please take a few mins and get up to speed then feel completely free to chime in again.

LWD is a 1st quarter 4th quarter company. This is absolutely the busiest time of the year for us and I am not even considering the current AWB threat. Needless to say we are full speed ahead regarding minor fixes to the new Compact TW frame. I expect to see regular production commence early March.......then on to the 20/21 !
__________________
www.lonewolfdist.com
JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 21:45   #1693
gtistile
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR View Post
gtistile, Welcome to GT. I see you have only been here a little while so it is easy to understand how confused you are. Had you taken the time to browse through the 1686 previous posts you would see this "compact TW" project is the second in line of a total 3 new frames. please take a few mins and get up to speed then feel completely free to chime in again.

LWD is a 1st quarter 4th quarter company. This is absolutely the busiest time of the year for us and I am not even considering the current AWB threat. Needless to say we are full speed ahead regarding minor fixes to the new Compact TW frame. I expect to see regular production commence early March.......then on to the 20/21 !
Thanks... I handled the full sized frame at a show several months back and started my research on the compact version then as I was in love with how it felt in my hand. I WANTED this frame, believe that. I may only have a few posts for whatever that is worth, however I am not at all confused. Nor do I need to read years worth of "production units will be available 'X month of X year'" any more than I already have... I was told over the phone 2 months ago that I would have a production unit in hand by Christmas... It's now a month later, and now the story goes that it'll come available in 2 more months? No thanks. Again, best of luck to you guys holding out...still...
gtistile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 22:23   #1694
JR
GT Sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 1998
Location: Oldtown Idaho USA
Posts: 3,936
Send a message via AIM to JR Send a message via Yahoo to JR
gtistile: I don't have anything further to say to you that is constructive. You should really think about contributing to the thread or abstain completely. We all understand you are happy with your stock Glock. Enjoy! Good things come to those that wait. No reason to reply, you have already excused yourself. Good bye.
__________________
www.lonewolfdist.com
JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:06   #1695
toddler
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR View Post
gtistile: I don't have anything further to say to you that is constructive. You should really think about contributing to the thread or abstain completely. We all understand you are happy with your stock Glock. Enjoy! Good things come to those that wait. No reason to reply, you have already excused yourself. Good bye.
Hi JR,

It sounds like gtistile was given some overly optimistic timelines over the phone, and is frustrated. I know you're a sponsor and a businessman, and that replies like those from gtistile are not the ones you'd like to see, but they are a fact of life.

I made my first post to this thread in June 2009, and have been quietly following along for 3 1/2 years now. At this point, the compact frame still seems to have some issues that would make me feel safer carrying a stock Glock. Carrying anything other than a stock firearm can lead to liability in the event someone has to use their firearm defensively, so even minor issues are a concern to me since I'd plan to carry the firearm.

I suspect after almost 4 years of working to get an compact frame out, you're far more frustrated than gtistile is by any issues. Even so, a brief explanation of what you are doing to correct the minor problems you may be having with the molds or rail fit or such, would be reassuring. When you start dismissing the frustrated critics, some of us get worried that problems may not be getting addressed. Especially since you'd said something indicating the released frames really shouldn't be considered prototypes, but would be released as such simply because they were the first production run. Unfortunate case of foot in mouth there ... but not a huge issue to me.

Hope things are working out with the frame tweaks you are making based on feedback.

Todd
toddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:40   #1696
gtistile
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 7
Thanks for all your help.
gtistile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:30   #1697
kenner
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: MI>
Posts: 76
Glock proto 19 frame, mag. issues

Hello Everyone, I also purchased a proto 19 frame, same issues with mags. not locking all the way home, I had to sand off approx. 1/8" off the bottom of mag. well, now everything works fine.
kenner
kenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 14:28   #1698
tacdriver22mk2
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 40
the way i made a proto frame the most is to do the following CAREFULLY and if you are not used to rotory power tools then take a piece of wood and practice or practice on any plastic and i funneled the mag well that relieved enough material at the front to fit gen 1 mags and if you round out the butt you will be able to all but eliminate the palm pinch with g19 mags

also the front of the mags were hitting the bottom edge of the mag release dremel fixed it

a quick felt dremel polishing wheel with green stropping compound polished the rails and knocked the burr that i had on the rails

i am also a fan of grip tape on the backstrap and where my weak hand thumb hits the frame in a thumbs forward grip

oh and a quick sanding/dremeling of the plastic trigger housing pin to shorten the length because the frame is too narrow for the pin


IMO the mag release is big enough to where undercutting the trigger guard is not advised cause your middle finger would hit it but the the off hand undercut is possible but not needed


literally a half an hour to an hour with testing and being slow and careful can solve every "problem" on a LW frame oh and it FREE so who cares

no problems with rail fit

Last edited by tacdriver22mk2; 02-03-2013 at 14:29..
tacdriver22mk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 19:48   #1699
rkrk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacdriver22mk2 View Post
i funneled the mag well that relieved enough material at the front to fit gen 1 mags and if you round out the butt you will be able to all but eliminate the palm pinch with g19 mags

also the front of the mags were hitting the bottom edge of the mag release dremel fixed it

a quick felt dremel polishing wheel with green stropping compound polished the rails and knocked the burr that i had on the rails

i am also a fan of grip tape on the backstrap and where my weak hand thumb hits the frame in a thumbs forward grip

oh and a quick sanding/dremeling of the plastic trigger housing pin to shorten the length because the frame is too narrow for the pin
Are pics possible?

Thanks

Last edited by rkrk; 02-03-2013 at 19:49..
rkrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 17:24   #1700
JR
GT Sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 1998
Location: Oldtown Idaho USA
Posts: 3,936
Send a message via AIM to JR Send a message via Yahoo to JR
Compact Prototype owners;
It appears as much as 50% of the prototype Compact Frames have an issue seating the magazine properly. We have found the use of current production Gen4 magazines usually resolves the issue. If your frame still has an issue after trying Gen4 magazines we recommend removing material from the forward portion (to mid way) of the grip. Removal of material in this area will allow the mag to seat properly. The easiest way to accomplish this task is to use sand paper and slowly reduce the grip area while trying to seat the magazine. Remove a little and try again. Use the base of the magazine as an angle guide. Once the magazine seats you can dress the remainder of the grip, blending it in to conform with the mag base. The cause of this issue is due to a wide variance between OEM and aftermarket magazines. It is obvious we set our sights a little too close to the minimum side of this variance. We are making arrangements to modify our molds and expect to be back into full production by early May.

Sideline Critics:
This untraditional project is designed around shooters who WANT to get involved. They waited anxiously. They paid for prototype samples. They evaluate performance. They continue to contribute valuable information. They will see this project completed. They know their part is priceless. I am totally interested in what THEY have to say because they have skin in the game! They know first hand what needs to be done! I will consider any comment ONLY if it contributes to the advancement of this project. If you are a sideline CRITIC and blatantly post as such, you can EXPECT a critical response.
__________________
www.lonewolfdist.com
JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:39.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 843
233 Members
610 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42