Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:55   #1201
TcRoc
Phillies Fan !!

Any damage to your slide Rails from the frame rails rubbing??

Last edited by TcRoc; 08-09-2010 at 08:03..
TcRoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:58   #1202
mvician
Lifetime Membership

Mine pretty much show "even" wear.

Sponsor Showcase
Old 08-09-2010, 13:38   #1203
JR
GT Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to JR Send a message via Yahoo to JR
Is there any chance the "rail wear" was unnoticed from the beginning until now? What you are describing as rail wear is actually grind marks. We grind every rail after the frame has been molded. This process adds an extra step however ensures the best tolerance possible.

The first rails we produced were not stainless. They run fine in all the "in-house" frames. The prototype production released to you guys is 100% stainless. It is possible some of the original produced rails were accidently mixed into the last batch? I have no idea how it could happen but have no other way to explain.

Singlestack Wonder: There are real pepole here working on a real project. Why would you go out of your way to post a comment like that? If you don't have anything constructive to contribute why would you even bother?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 13:54   #1204
DrugRunR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR View Post
The first rails we produced were not stainless. They run fine in all the "in-house" frames. The prototype production released to you guys is 100% stainless. It is possible some of the original produced rails were accidently mixed into the last batch? I have no idea how it could happen but have no other way to explain.
My rails are stainless.
Stainless can rust.
The discoloration (rust) is on the inside of the rails. This is the area that is stretched from being bent.
Only suggestion I can make is for the rails to be coated with oil prior to shipment.
I ordered all the parts I need today. I am gonna use the locking block out of my G21 since everyone is out of them.
DrugRunR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 14:25   #1205
mvician
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrugRunR View Post
I am gonna use the locking block out of my G21 since everyone is out of them.
Hope you mistyped that
Old 08-09-2010, 14:56   #1206
TcRoc
Phillies Fan !!

Here is a pic of mine,, will get out to do some testing this week.
All went together fine,no rust, pin lenths are fine , locking block popped right in,mag release just seems to light for carry.
The frame rails look as pictured by others,, will keep a eye on

Sponsor Showcase

Last edited by TcRoc; 08-09-2010 at 14:58..
Old 08-09-2010, 16:15   #1207
WDN

Originally Posted by DrugRunR View Post
I am gonna use the locking block out of my G21 since everyone is out of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvician View Post
Hope you mistyped that
Locking block for a 21 is the same if it is a 2002 or later model. All current full size frames use 1447.
WDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 17:57   #1208
DrugRunR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvician View Post
Hope you mistyped that
No, I didn't mistype it

According to LoneWolf
http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.a...OD=392&CAT=137

* M17,17L,34 (current 3 pin models, mid 2002 and later)
* M20.20SF,21,21SF,Ambi 37 (fits current models only, mid 2002 and later)
* M22,24,31,35 (fits current models only, mid 2002 and later)

Part number 19 on the Glock Schematic.
DrugRunR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 19:46   #1209
mvician
Lifetime Membership

learned something new
Old 08-09-2010, 22:41   #1210
bel970

Quote:
Originally Posted by TcRoc View Post
Any damage to your slide Rails from the frame rails rubbing??
no damage to the slides that ran on it, teniffer is still harder than stainless.

Quote:
Is there any chance the "rail wear" was unnoticed from the beginning until now? What you are describing as rail wear is actually grind marks. We grind every rail after the frame has been molded. This process adds an extra step however ensures the best tolerance possible.

Singlestack Wonder: There are real pepole here working on a real project. Why would you go out of your way to post a comment like that? If you don't have anything constructive to contribute why would you even bother?
no chance, I (and a half dozen others) went over it pretty carefully before it was even assembled, first impression was they seemed a little rough (the rails.....and some of the guys), I resisted the urge to take a stone to them and remove the sharp edges. you might have missed my earlier post. right rear rail is somewhere between .015 and .020 low measuring off the frame, I know calipers aren't the most accurate tool but I haven't found the time to get it on granite and height gauge, and to be honest, it's clearly visible and not just by the wear on the rails.

Sponsor Showcase
Sponsor Showcase
bel970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:22   #1211
TcRoc
Phillies Fan !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bel970 View Post
no damage to the slides that ran on it, teniffer is still harder than stainless.

no chance, I (and a half dozen others) went over it pretty carefully before it was even assembled, first impression was they seemed a little rough (the rails.....and some of the guys), I resisted the urge to take a stone to them and remove the sharp edges. you might have missed my earlier post. right rear rail is somewhere between .015 and .020 low measuring off the frame, I know calipers aren't the most accurate tool but I haven't found the time to get it on granite and height gauge, and to be honest, it's clearly visible and not just by the wear on the rails.

Sponsor Showcase
Sponsor Showcase
After seeing this I checked mine,,,looks similar ,, haven't fired it yet but can see the rear rails aren't quite inline with each other

Last edited by TcRoc; 08-10-2010 at 06:23..
Old 08-10-2010, 13:26   #1212
JR
GT Sponsor

Somehow the rear rail was loading incorrectly and got into a bind, we caught the issue and made the adjustments in time for the next production run.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 08-10-2010, 15:33   #1213
doodi1

Well, this past weekend I put together the frame without any further issues. JR, sorry too late to take pictures of the rusty rails. I took care of mine with Flitz and a bit of elbow grease. I'm glad to hear that they are supposed to be Stainless, but I ask you to see if it is possible to plate them for further durability and corrosion resistance. The ideal finish for me would be the Nickel Boron plating (Fails Zero or Cera Plate) followed by the nickel teflon (NP3).
All the parts went into the frame without any issues.The locking block was tight, but not a big deal. Regarding magazines, my frame is tight with all of the .40 SW Glock mags. Older mags and even the latest 22 rounders. Hard to push in and you have to yank them out. In 9mm, no problems with the Glock, KCI and ATI mags. It's strange, but this is the way the cookie crumbles.
Fit and finish are very good, I love the ergonomics, but the following are my initial observations (before shooting it):

1. The slide sits up a bit higher when its mounted on this frame. I'm using a Gen 2 slide (the only Glock 17 I have) so it will have to do. There is a noticeable gap belween the frame and the slide.

2. There is a noticeable gap between the slide and the frame around the front and the dust cover area). I will take pictures of this and include it in a future post.

I would love to see the close ups of this from others to see if this is an issue with the Gen. 2 slides or the same gap is present with the Gen. 3's and the Lonewolf slides.

3. Slide is nice and tight on the frame. No vertical or horizontal movement at all!

All in all I'm happy with this. Not bad for a prototype (Proto16X). Now, let's see how she shoots.

Last edited by doodi1; 08-10-2010 at 15:46..
doodi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 17:07   #1214
WDN

Quote:
Somehow the rear rail was loading incorrectly and got into a bind, we caught the issue and made the adjustments in time for the next production run.
Are the rails a 400 series stainless?
WDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 18:55   #1215
bel970

Quote:
despite that it is the rear rails not the front do think that the decrease in tolerance resulting from the offset rails could generate enough drag to cause the feed and ejection issues some of us have been having?

would explain why I had to use an old guide rod/spring to get it to run half decent in 9mm.

I don't suppose I could get a min rail thickness dimension?

Last edited by bel970; 08-10-2010 at 22:04..
bel970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 21:35   #1216
oef24

Quote:
Do you happen to know what serial # range on the Proto's have the corrected rails? Thanks.

O
oef24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 02:19   #1217
TcRoc
Phillies Fan !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oef24 View Post
Do you happen to know what serial # range on the Proto's have the corrected rails? Thanks.

O
None would be my guess ,his post says corrected for next Production run
Old 08-11-2010, 09:14   #1218
Jon_R
Silver Membership

JR,

I have about 800 rounds now through mine. It will likely be a 1-2 weeks before I can get another 200 through it. Do you want the survey completed now or is it worth it to wait until I get to 1K rounds. I am not sure your timing on wanting the feedback.
Jon_R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 21:05   #1219
JR
GT Sponsor

Seems some of the rail issues are more predominate than others. We had not investigated until it was brought up by a couple of you guys.

The issue was caused because the first rails were machined & the proto production were stamped. The holding fixture would sometimes interfere with the rounded part of the inside bend on the stamped rails. This was not an issue with machined rails.

Like I said, this issue is corrected for sure now.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:48   #1220
TcRoc
Phillies Fan !!

Got to the range and all went until around the 100 round mark ,,, than the magazine started falling out after each shot.
The mag release is not being touched by my hand,, the magazine will stay in place until gun is fired,
I didn't dig threw all the previous pages,,anybody else have this problem?

Other than that all was great until than,,, will take a look at issue more today

Last edited by TcRoc; 08-12-2010 at 06:15..