SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-05-2010, 21:24   #1181
WDN

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR View Post
Yah sure, "funny". Plenty of participants like it, a few hate it, some complain it drops inadvertently, others have absolutely no issue with ejection... Accidental or otherwise.
I think this issue can easily be described as funny, as in strange, weird, odd, bizarre, surprising, unexplainable, unexpected, curious .....
It might be ok for a comp gun, but I think it is too weak for a defensive gun. It takes maybe half the pressure to release a mag as my Glock mag release. Wish I had a trigger gauge to check the difference.

Last edited by WDN; 08-05-2010 at 21:26..
WDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:26   #1182
ainokea

Quote:
Originally Posted by TcRoc View Post
Some of you are making me nervous ,, I hope mine is not a problem child ,, with my luck it will be the worst one
I've seen a lot of posts of people being discouraged about the frames. Gotta remember these are the "prototype" frames that we have. And the issues are being addressed for the production frames. I wish more manufacturers would do the same and let the consumers "beta test" any new firearms before going into full production.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
ainokea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:12   #1183
TcRoc
Phillies Fan !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainokea View Post
I've seen a lot of posts of people being discouraged about the frames. Gotta remember these are the "prototype" frames that we have. And the issues are being addressed for the production frames. I wish more manufacturers would do the same and let the consumers "beta test" any new firearms before going into full production.
Thats understood ,, but when you buy the frame and parts you would like to get lucky and get a keeper like some,, luck of the draw
TcRoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:56   #1184
solvability

I think there is general agreement the mag release is too weak. Folks do grip with different styles and have differently shaped hands but the release is too weak.

I can shoot it successfully with 9mm or 40 minor but if I shoot 40 major it pops out repeatedly. I may try to modify it so it does not extend as far or as wide.

I got a new style gen 3 locking block and will shoot it with that - if the accuracy is not there then my experiment with it is over - it was an experiment and was interesting.
solvability is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:03   #1185
Jon_R
Silver Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by solvability View Post
I think there is general agreement the mag release is too weak. Folks do grip with different styles and have differently shaped hands but the release is too weak.
I think I would be ok with the Mag release if I shot right handed.
Jon_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:14   #1186
paulbow

My frame rails have developed surface rust very similar to DrugRunR's.
paulbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:47   #1187
humanguerrilla

Light speckles on the insides of the rails, wiped them down with liberal amount of CLP.

Ordered locking block on clearance from someone else and it wouldn't fit and is the wrong one. Finally got my donor block into it and out of the frame, but it's still a bear, even following your video. I've scuffed and dug into the frame a bit. I really thought it was gen 3 like the gun and it wasn't a different type. The one I ordered from you guys slides right in no problem. Hope to get started shooting this weekend.

Last edited by humanguerrilla; 08-06-2010 at 12:17..
humanguerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 17:02   #1188
DrugRunR

I am gonna order the frame parts this weekend. I got a plan in mind. The range that I shoot at rents glocks. So I am gonna rent a 17 - its $15 including range fee so that makes the rental $7.50. Then use the entire upper off the rental and the mags (if they fit)

I couldn't wipe the rust off with CLP, wd40, or remoil. I used 200 grit sandpaper and was able to lightly sand the rust off one of the rear rails. I didn't touch the other one yet as I wanted to see if the rust came back.

If I go to sell the frame later the frame parts would be needed to the new buyer.

Last edited by DrugRunR; 08-06-2010 at 17:03..
DrugRunR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 18:46   #1189
JR
GT Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to JR Send a message via Yahoo to JR
DrugRunR: Thanks for the pics. I have absoultly no idea what or how that happened? I can tell you the frame did not leave here like that. Our QC would have caught the rust immediately.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 20:56   #1190
juicespeare1

Just a small amount of rust on one of my front rails.

I can't see the the inside of the rails by the trigger housing, but will disassemble and look tomorrow.
juicespeare1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:32   #1191
DrugRunR

Quote:
DrugRunR: Thanks for the pics. I have absoultly no idea what or how that happened? I can tell you the frame did not leave here like that. Our QC would have caught the rust immediately.
Maybe you need to wipe the rails down with oil prior to shipping.
Also what type of metal and finish are the rails made out of?
DrugRunR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 09:38   #1192
paulbow

Quote:
I hate to say it but "rusty rails" are worthless without pics! I have seen every frame that shipped and yet to find a rusty rail?
Here you go.
Sponsor Showcase

Sponsor Showcase

Sponsor Showcase

Sponsor Showcase

Sponsor Showcase

Sponsor Showcase
paulbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:23   #1193
Singlestack Wonder

Looks like the LW frame is going the way of the CCR Race frame......Too many issues. A fix without a problem.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:31   #1194
m4arc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlestack Wonder View Post
Looks like the LW frame is going the way of the CCR Race frame......Too many issues. A fix without a problem.
Did there really need to be a problem in the first place? While I don't own one of these frames (I might buy one just to tinker with) I don't have any heartburn with Lone Wolf giving Glock owners (and non-glock owners) more options.

While I don't buy into the "Glocks don't fit my hand" excuse having the ability to configure these frames with various backstraps will definitely appeal to a wider group of people. I know at least one "industry insider" who doesn't like Glocks but is looking forward to building one up using the LW frame.

Keep in mind that these frames are prototypes and not production level frames.

You're going give yourself a heart attack worrying about what other people are doing.

Last edited by m4arc; 08-08-2010 at 10:32..
m4arc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:37   #1195
mvician
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Do you have one or is this just a drive by ?

You do realize these are a PROTOTYPE and not a final product.
mvician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:12   #1196
Olivers_AR

Initial Assembly and first 100 Rounds

I got the frame (serial number in the 190s) earlier in the week and wasn't until Saturday that I got to assemble it. Donor frame is a G34, which benefited with a cleaning since I couldn't put dirty parts in a new frame.

Trigger Mechanism: This was my fault for not RTFM, the stock one wouldn't fit and located a SF Trigger Mechanism from a local Glock Armorer who had a factory one in the back of the drawer! Initial take is that the SF TM fits, its just looser then the stock TM fits in a G34 frame. Once the trigger bar and other parts are in place, it tightens up and seems better. JR's direction for the extractor swapout was spot on and swapped over the 9mm and now have an extra extractor for the parts bin.

Brown Spot on the Rail: Yes there was a brown spot on the rear right hand rail. A quick hit with CLP and Miltec solved the problem. It didn't effect functionality and appeared to be cosmetic. Suggestion, the copper grease used by the OEM is available at any auto store, and does serve a function to prevent moisture, suggest that it could have a place in the LW process.

Assembly: Once the correct TM was located, the rest of the assembly seemed straightforward. The locking block was tight and required some persuading, but no frame adjustments required. The rest of the parts seemed to fit and other then the grip pin being a couple of mm too big, no functional issues.

Slide: The slide is a stock G34 slide, and the slide fits looser then the stock G34 frame, but its not a functional issue. Did the 5 safety tests one would preform on a Glock and all was good to go. Cycled normally, added lube as per factory specs, lubed not wet.

Proof in the Pudding: Got on the range, held my breath and it went bang, just like any other weapon I had a IPDA target and put 100 rounds downrange. Used a number of different G17/G34 mags with various spring rates, some towards the end of their life and others brand new. The center of the target had about 3" missing from 21ft.

Operator Error: There was one error, FTF, during the 100 rounds. It was pure operator error, about 60 rounds into the test was changing grip and hit the mag release by accident. There was a FTF, but it wasn't the platforms fault, it was pure operator error. Like all tests, this is reported for full disclosure purposes. Rack, tap, and bang and back in business. No problems with the rest of the mag and the additional mags.

Test Platform: G34 parts with a SF trigger mechanism. G17/34 10 and 15 round factory mags. Used the 1911 backstrap on the LW frame. 147G FMJ Sierra 9mm with 4.3g Unique, Winchester SP primers, mixed brass.

This is the first part in a series, there will be updates during the 1000 round test including input from other shooters who will test the platform.

Last edited by Olivers_AR; 08-08-2010 at 19:06..
Olivers_AR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:18   #1197
juicespeare1

Quote:
Bull**** !!!

These are proto frames and feedack from all this will go back to making the design of the final product better.

I wish more manufacturers would do this.

To the casual reader it may seem we're all bashing the product, but that isn't the case at all, we're commenting on the frame to provide feedback. Exactly what JR wanted from us.

Just imagine car manufaturers giving people access to a beta product to test for 6 months and then incorporating their feedback into the design of the final product. The products would introduced with so many fewer issues.

I'm not saying the LWD frame in it's final design won't have issues, but it will have far fewer issues. In addition, all this "negative" feedback will go into producing a product with a much better design as these "negative" things won't be found in the final product. It is very expensive for a manufacturer to produce a product and then once fielded find issues that require changes to the actual production run.
juicespeare1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 20:13   #1198
scratchy wilson
Silver Membership

Finally got to go out and shoot a little.

1st magazine would eject on its own without the release being pressed. After about five rounds I switched to a 33 round stick which had no problems. Shooting buddy ran a flawless standard magazine, after which I ran the remainder of the first magazine without issue. The trigger did feel a little gritty, but that's probably from being new stock(I want to eventually switch between the Glock frame and the Timberwolf side by side).

Accuracy seemed typical for me(nothing impressive).

I want to get a few more magazines worth through it before I send in a report.
scratchy wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 22:56   #1199
bel970

anybody else seeing rail wear like this?

Sponsor Showcase
Sponsor Showcase
bel970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 05:51   #1200
farscott

Yes, I saw some rail wear very early. A little Slide Guide on the rails stopped it from progressing any further.