SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-19-2008, 16:43   #1
mxitman
Premium Roast

Which Hand Held GPS should I get?

Hi, Looking to upgrade to a new hand held GPS unit for Hunting/Hiking adventures. I had an old Garmin which was ok but I couldn't add maps or save anything and it was as basic as they get. I haven't kept updated as to whats out there and the features.

I don't need the most expensive unit and I would like to get one for $150-$300 range. I see some of them have radios now and all sorts of gizmo's. I don't mind features but I do like simple things.

I would like to know what you guys use and why? whats the good and bad of the model of GPS that you have? Please only respond to the unit you use, I've heard rumors as well and would like to get first hand knowledge if possible.

Thanks!
mxitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 19:28   #2
filthy infidel
100% Infidel

I have a Garmin GPS 60 CsX. It gets great reception in my house and the woods under full foliage.
A good friend of mine works for Garmin now, I tried his Colorado- the replacement for mine- it's very slick.

These things are advancing very quickly- my friend has demo models that are watch borne or cyclocomputer sized.
Old 10-20-2008, 13:44   #3
Dan in Alaska

I just bought a Garmin 60CSx, as well. REI had the package deals on sale for $335. It came with a 128MB card, computer cable, and the TOPO map DVD. I like it.
Dan in Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 18:56   #4
Gonzoso

The Garmin 60 Csx seems to be the bees knees in GPS units. I am an environmental science major and we use GPS to map out things like invasive plants and collection sites for research. We use the Garmin 60 Csx to plug data into a GIS program.

We have a good budget and we got the 60 Csx. I mean when we need to do fine work we have a backpack receiver that cost 12,000$ that is attached to a 9,000 dollar computer thing. So with an almost unlimited budget our standard gps in the Garmin 60 Csx. I am looking to buy one myself soon.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:09   #5
punkture

Send a message via AIM to punkture Send a message via Yahoo to punkture
my vote is for the lowrance color models (h20, expedition, or hunt...depending on what features you want or need)

http://www.lowrance.com/en/Products/Outdoors/

they are all under $300 on ebay right now.
Mississippi Glocker #62
punkture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 16:51   #6
backspace

I used a Garmin E-trex Legend this summer on a trip to the boundry waters, loaded the boundry waters map and we were good to go. It has expanded memory and retails under $200. It is my first GPS and was not too hard to learn(for an old dog).
backspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 16:56   #7
Dalton Wayne
CLM Number 239
Epic mustache

Send a message via MSN to Dalton Wayne Send a message via Skype™ to Dalton Wayne
I carry a Garmin 60C and have a watch sized garmin foretrex 101 for a back up big forest down here easy to get lost.

Good people sleep peaceable in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf
Regards
DW
Dalton Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 12:16   #8
Glockman55

I have the Garmin GPSmap 76S, it replaced the older garmin 45XL. There are some newer ones out now that will allow you to down load actual satellite images of you hunting property and use it on your GPS. Good Luck
Old 11-30-2008, 10:58   #9
Wet Dog

If you hunt separately from your partner(s) and you can talk 'em into or buy one for them the Garmin Rino is very nice. It lets you keep tabs on your partner's location which is very nice when he has meat down and needs help packing. I have the 130 and he has the 120. The 130 has a few more features like weather radio (which is nice).

I've used mine for everything from finding property corners to locating my crab pots.

The one downside is that it does take some of the adventure out of route finding. No more missing meals because you took the "short cut" and didn't get back to camp until it was time to head out again... or wondering which way the truck is parked (though I've questioned the reading, it always turns out to be correct...) I imagine my boots will last a lot longer too as getting back doesn't take as long as it used too. Hunt farther and later knowing the GPS will get you back. Great tool
Wet Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 22:20   #10
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

First of all.... WetDog, you crack me up man... That was good. You should make a commercial for GPS units !

OK, I have to confess, that in "the day," when I did all my guiding hunts, there was a very good quality compass to rely upon, and or/plus, I knew the area's I was in, like the back of my hand. Also, there were no electronic gizzmo's like we got here today.... Good knowledge of the land/country, and a good pack team, and a very good compass. No GPS

All this being said. You guys got me real interested in a GPS as well. I looked on Garmins sight, at the 60CSX, y'all are talking about, it is pretty cool, but allow my ignorance to show here. It is fine to have maped out highway directions i guess, (i still use paper maps). ha. But how/what do you do with this thing to say, find your way around in a chunk of woods you never been to before? Again, I have always relied on a compass, and God given gift of great instinct. (seriously).

But for example...... I go to a place someone gave me a invitation to, to hunt on. Let us say it is in the thick woodlads of some southren state, say Alabama.

OK, i know where the gate is, and that is it. Got NO clue as to the terrain, ups, downs, creeks, et. et. Did NO pre scouting, (that would never happen), but we are pretending here.... How can this GPS show me all the above, plus, direct me around, and "back out" and not get lost, in a particular partial of woods on Billy Bobs place,(pretending i had no "old fashion compass") ???

Fire away some one !

CanyonMan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7

Last edited by CanyonMan; 12-03-2008 at 03:06..
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 08:46   #11
Glockman55

Most GPS have a Topo map software that can be installed to show off road terrain, trail, creeks, etc. and some have the ability to use Sat. images to download into your GPS as well. I still carry and use a compass, The GPS is just another tool.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:09   #12
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockman55 View Post
Most GPS have a Topo map software that can be installed to show off road terrain, trail, creeks, etc. and some have the ability to use Sat. images to download into your GPS as well. I still carry and use a compass, The GPS is just another tool.

AAAAH I see. So I am not still "out of touch and out of date yet, by using compass, instinct, and good topo map." (paper map).

I am still interested in the little Garmin mentioned above, and I see now what you are talking about (on their web site), with the software business. I have never been much on electronics, and using the PC is a challenge to me at times, but I really think I would be interested in this 60CSX.

Is there another source for the software, that gives great detail? And as the original poster ask... I too, am interested in all these opinions on which GPS would be best.. He used the word "adventures," I suppose that would be my best description these days, outback way down in there adventures, to places I have never been. So I am with him, what is best, and what software?

mxitman, I am just joining in with ya Hoss, this is NOT a hi jack attempt !

Thanks

CM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps, hiking, hunting