Home Forums Classifieds GT Store Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-18-2014, 12:27   #1
RussP

New Federal Guidelines re: 'profiling'. They've been expanded...

New additions...
Quote:
GUIDANCE FOR FEDERAL LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCIES REGARDING THE USE OF RACE, ETHNICITY, GENDER, NATIONAL ORIGIN, RELIGION, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, OR GENDER IDENTITY
Quote:
Biased law enforcement practices, as the 2003 Guidance recognized with regard to racial profiling, have a terrible cost, not only for individuals but also for the Nation as a whole. This new Guidance reflects the Federal government’s ongoing commitment to keeping the Nation safe while upholding our dedication to the ideal of equal justice under the law.

Two standards in combination should guide use by Federal law enforcement officers of race, ethnicity, gender, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, or gender identity in law enforcement or intelligence activities:
• In making routine or spontaneous law enforcement decisions, such as ordinary traffic stops, Federal law enforcement officers may not use race, ethnicity, gender, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, or gender identity to any degree, except that officers may rely on the listed characteristics in a specific suspect description. This prohibition applies even where the use of a listed characteristic might otherwise be lawful.

• In conducting all activities other than routine or spontaneous law enforcement activities, Federal law enforcement officers may consider race, ethnicity, gender, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, or gender identity only to the extent that there is trustworthy information, relevant to the locality or time frame, that links persons possessing a particular listed characteristic to an identified criminal incident, scheme, or organization, a threat to national or homeland security, a violation of Federal immigration law, or an authorized intelligence activity. In order to rely on a listed characteristic, law enforcement officers must also reasonably believe that the law enforcement, security, or intelligence activity to be undertaken is merited under the totality of the circumstances, such as any temporal exigency and the nature of any potential harm to be averted. This standard applies even where the use of a listed characteristic might otherwise be lawful.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 17:16   #2
PinkoCommie
Unusual Member

This is different from how we've been doing business how?

I don't target or investigate people. I target and investigate behavior that is (a) dangerous, or (b) prohibited by law. This is what I get paid to do. I take my duties seriously, and I try to be the cop that I would want to be in contact with if I were on the other side (or the cop that I would want contacting my wife, mother, kids).
This wasn't me... --DaBigBR
I was hauling a large quotient of ass. --Cochese
PinkoCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 18:12   #3
razdog76
Heavy Mettle

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkoCommie View Post

I don't target or investigate people. I target and investigate behavior that is (a) dangerous, or (b) prohibited by law. This is what I get paid to do. I take my duties seriously, and I try to be the cop that I would want to be in contact with if I were on the other side (or the cop that I would want contacting my wife, mother, kids).
Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron
'..You can lead an ass to facts, but you can't make them think...'
razdog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 18:16   #4
The Fist Of Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkoCommie View Post

It changes nothing, but it looks like Holder is stamping out racism.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Old 12-19-2014, 18:40   #5
PinkoCommie
Unusual Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fist Of Goodness View Post
It changes nothing, but it looks like Holder is stamping out racism.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Good for him. I honestly don't know how we ever did our thing before he came along. It was truly the dark ages back then.

This wasn't me... --DaBigBR
I was hauling a large quotient of ass. --Cochese
PinkoCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 19:10   #6
Ohio Cop

It is more "feel good legislation".

They are doing it in Ohio as well, while I support AG DeWine, his task force on police in communities is a joke. Rather than look at the problems in the communities (lack of jobs, breakdown of family, the welfare/SSI/handout cycle), they are focusing on police and their training as a root cause of problems in the community. Wrong!

They want to look at our training? Please do. Revamp it while you are at it.

Two weeks on "cultural diversity" out of a 26ish week academy? Get real. However, four hours are spent on building searches, one day is spent on report writing, no time is spent on radio operations/communications, defensive tactics?? Do the drills and they'll pass you, doesn't matter if you have never been in a real fight (most of our new hires have admittedly done the same, most have never been punched in the face).

You can keep sitting in your comfy chairs in your comfy offices guarded by armed men and have feel good meetings about "hope and change". It's a weekend before Christmas in a poor, drug ridden community where I work, let's pray no one gets hurt.

Benjamin Franklin
Quote:
Just being a federally "prohibited person" who owns guns and signatures about them on the internet should be enough to keep him paranoid."

Last edited by Ohio Cop; 12-19-2014 at 19:11..
Ohio Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 21:24   #7
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Cop View Post
...You can keep sitting in your comfy chairs in your comfy offices guarded by armed men and have feel good meetings about "hope and change". It's a weekend before Christmas in a poor, drug ridden community where I work, let's pray no one gets hurt.
Amen...Prayers are with you...

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote