Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-14-2014, 19:29   #1
bikerdog

Serious question for the old timers.

So I have been working as a police officer for 6 years now, and can honestly say that I have never seen disrespect for law enforcement this bad. That said I'm still a young pup when it comes to this job.

Has it ever been this bad and or worse?

I know that in some places it has been worse. But nation wide it seems like this new crap is much farther reaching.

And I know that it is talked about a lot. But could a blue flu epidemic really be in our future?

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

Last edited by bikerdog; 12-14-2014 at 19:41..
bikerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 19:53   #2
Patchman
Florist

I've only been in LE for fifteen years. But prior, I worked with cops and detectives who were around in the 1970s to 1990s. Based on what they said (and my interpretations of what they said), this is normal cyclical turn of cop bashing.

People today have forgotten or never experienced the nationwide crime levels of the 1970s through 1990s. Then September 11, 2001, focused on the importance of LE. Now-a-days, the repetitive media loops of protests makes it seem it's all about anti-LE. Media perception becomes reality.

Blue flu? Unlikely. Modern policing won't allow that. Despite the anti-police rhetoric, cops know the majority of citizens (the silent majority) are not anti-LE. Individual LEOs may engage in "blue flu" like behavior, but the rest won't. They may be demoralized, but they won't waiver in their professionalism.

In a gunfight, even if you do everything right, you can still get killed.

Last edited by Patchman; 12-14-2014 at 19:56..
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 20:22   #3
oldgraywolf
NRA, SAF

<---NAC

I'll take a WAG and say that in rural areas (mine for sure) support for LE is probably stronger than in urban areas. I wish you guys could have seen the turnout and support from my entire area when Michigan State Police Trooper Paul Butterfield was murdered on duty a little over a year ago. Deputies and MSP are part of the community here and don't hide who they are or what they do.

definatally
rediculas
theirs'

Last edited by oldgraywolf; 12-15-2014 at 05:11..
oldgraywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 20:31   #4
Ajon412

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchman View Post
I've only been in LE for fifteen years. But prior, I worked with cops and detectives who were around in the 1970s to 1990s. Based on what they said (and my interpretations of what they said), this is normal cyclical turn of cop bashing.
This...... You just have to "ride the wave" and this too shall pass, until the next time.
Ajon412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 21:06   #5
oneofthose

It will run it's course. I do think the media has a lot to do with it. When they decide to run some legitimate stories about the local hero's and what they do, it could change things.

Maybe we just need another quality program like COPS to show the average tax-paying citizen the other side of the story.
Old 12-14-2014, 21:07   #6
Glock-O-Rican
GLOCKAHOLIC

I recall when the Black Panthers started calling COPS "PIGS", this was the 1970's if memory is correct. Cops fought back by says pig was for Pride, Intgrity & Guts.
Old 12-14-2014, 21:31   #7
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

It goes in cycles, back in 1980 there were the miami riots when Arthur McDuffie died and the early nineties you had the Rodney king.

Last edited by Dragoon44; 12-14-2014 at 21:32..
Dragoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 22:23   #8
Detectorist

Respect for LE in Missouri rural areas is as strong as ever.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place”. George Bernard Shaw

Last edited by Detectorist; 12-14-2014 at 22:24..
Detectorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 23:24   #9
texmex

The late 60s and early 70s were pretty bad, but not nearly as violent. First the Anti-draft, Anti-war, anti-establishment hippies. Then the liberals, TV stars and movie stars really got onto the pro-drug bandwagon with their coke spoon necklaces and marijuana leaf earrings.

It seems like the TV was full of cop shows, but the movie theaters thrived on Easyrider, Bonnie & Clyde, Vanishing Point and the Cheech & Chong movies.

I guess it has always been a love hate relationship at the movies because we also had Dirty Harry and Walking Tall. Seems like the TV cops were usually normal everyday people, but in the movies they were either superhuman, crooks or idiots.

The news media has no conscience at all, they just want ratings. They will milk a line of duty death for all its worth and then turn around and exploit white versus black with no regard for the injuries, property damage and death that insues. They called Rodney King a "motorist". Now Michael Brown is called "an unarmed teenager". I don't think those guys in California knew or cared what color King was when he was trying to run them down with his car. Color is irrelevant when a criminal tries to take an officers gun or beat him unconscious so he can get his gun.

People want the Swat Team or Delta Force to show up when there is an active shooter or a terrorist attack (NY, Boston). Then they want Officer Friendly when they get stopped for a traffic violation. When we tell someone to keep their hands where we can see them, we are "over reacting". Then when an officer gets killed or injured on a "routine" incident, "they should have been more careful". We don't have many friends right now.

Last edited by texmex; 12-15-2014 at 12:27..
texmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 23:38   #10
ChiefWPD

I had forty-one years in when I pulled the pin. I have never seen such a concerted, anti-police atmosphere before. The numbers of people at some of the NYC demos are staggering. This is a serious issue and, in at least some parts of the nation, a real threat to our national security. I am concerned.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:12   #11
volsbear
Lifetime Membership
IWannaBeSedated

As the cliché goes - it'll get worse before it gets better.

"He'd look better with lividity" - BlueIron

Black Rifle Club - RRA-PSG
S&W Club - 22227
volsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 08:51   #12
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

The pendulum swings. However, as a guy who like to read and study history, I think the chief is seeing things guys who have been in the business longer than 20 years are seeing.

We are on a dangerous track that may very well explode into something we are not prepared for, as a nation and culture.

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

One day closer to retirement . . .
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 09:25   #13
Justdave1

When I first put on the uniform in NYC in 1973 we had the highest homicide rate in the country, everyone hated cops (black panthers had a $5K bounty for a cop kill) and we had .38's with lead round nose rounds that bounced off car windows. Things improved dramatically over the years and after 9/11 people would walk up to say thank you. Now living in a really rural area, I'm amazed at the pro-LE attitude in the community and The NYPD is experiencing a whole new set of issues, not the least of which is the Mayor routinely throwing cops under the bus on a regular basis. The guys are forced into carrying guns with 200 pound triggers and can't hit anything but innocent bystanders. If you fart on duty, someone has it on video. I feel sorry for the guys coming on the job these days - they spend half their day looking over their shoulders and the other half counting the days until they hit 20 and punch out.
Justdave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 10:30   #14
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

It goes in cycles, but this is the worst in my last three decades, I remember McDuffie and the Kel Light riots and aftermath, due to social media every kid thinks they know what the job is and how all cops are bad.

Yes I am making generalizations ,but you get the point.
Old 12-15-2014, 12:37   #15
igor455

i started in 1971 and retired in 2008. i would agree that the media, and the race hustlers are fanning the flames where ever and when ever possible and the media feeds off them
for one i am proud of what i did for 40 yrs.and we always tried to do it well. yet the majority of folks i know still support the police.
igor455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 13:53   #16
texmex

You know the White Supremacists are licking their chops over all of this. They have been waiting all these years for a race war to start. They just can't wait to say "I told you so". Charles Manson tried to start a race war by inciting people against African Americans. Mumia showed everyone that if you just tell the same lie over and over again, some stupid people will not only believe it, they will repeat it, they will preach it, they will broadcast it, and they will teach it. There is a global epidemic of ignorance. It turns career criminals into heroes and terrorists into freedom fighters.

Those ISIS freedom fighters are probably laughing at us while they are cutting the heads off women and children. They will point to all this and say it proves that Allah hates America and we are being punished for all the rights and freedoms (race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability) we have so wrongfully embraced. If ISIS had their way, everyone of us who believes in the slightest hint of tolerance for the GLBT community would be executed for our lack of hatred. Their version of the Holocaust will not just be for the Jews.
Old 12-15-2014, 13:53   #17
cherokeewarrior
NRA Life Member

As expressed by ChiefWPD, I am concerned too.

To me, the riots appear to be orchestrated by those who would like to see local law enforcement agencies reduced to reporting agencies only, with any necessary response being made by some (properly trained--read Politically Correct) yet to be named federal agency.

This post has been approved by NSA.
cherokeewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 15:23   #18
4949shooter

It goes in cycles, yes. But the lack of respect we now see predominant toward law enforcement I believe is at its peak.

There are some reasons for this IMHO:

1. The media - we have radio, television, and now the internet to thank. Anti cop propaganda flows more easily everywhere you look in the media. The internet is another tool which can be used to spread the hate.

2. The fact that officers' hands are tied today - people know how far they can push law enforcement without getting arrested, etc.

3. Laws and common attitude which leave the police powerless to do their jobs. For example, the recent thread regarding the police not being able to use teargas without first declaring an illegal assembly comes to mind.

4. Lack of support from community leaders (NY Mayor DeBlasio).

5. Lack of support from the country's leaders (president, vice president, Attorney General. Same goes for state governors, AG's, etc.

6. The disrespect for authority which is being taught in today's homes.

7. Some of the agendas taught in schools.

I guess I could go on, but I think you get the picture. These are different times than 25 or 30 years ago.
Old 12-15-2014, 20:55   #19
jenrick

To quote our chief from a LOD death a few years ago "We have 7 very loud detractors, and 700,000 supporters in our city." Nationally I think this is true as well, there are millions of good honest hardworking folks out there who support LE. However they don't get the media attention that the loud mouthed cop bashers do. Are some of those cop bashers getting louder and bolder, absolutely, but I don't think they are making any more converts.

-Jenrick
jenrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 21:12   #20
ranger1968

I think it's getting worse; violent attacks are up, despite all of the tools and resources at our disposal... People seem to have more contempt for us these days, even though we are a lot "nicer" than we used to be, more "approachable" and more "involved in the community" .....

But then again , there are a lot a lot of cops who think that good police work means handing people money at Christmas time or giving out ice cream on traffic stops, so maybe I'm wrong , and things are actually better......