Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-25-2012, 16:38   #1
RocPO

Weapon lights

I've recently started looking into getting a weapon light for my recently issued G22 4gen. Since my dept. is a bit antiquated, only our SWAT guys are issued weapon lights and the required holsters for their guns

I've come across the RLS by safariland, which looks fairly quick and easy to put on and then take off. Anyone have any experience with this? Should I look in a different direction for a light I can put on and take off as necessary?
RocPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 16:47   #2
Bodyarmorguy

Avoid it. If you are going to do a weapon light have it dedicated. If a confrontation goes from a gun thing to a hands on thing, trying to get the light off and reholster the gun may be challenging.
Old 02-25-2012, 16:49   #3
S.O.Interceptor
Khem-Adam

DO NOT use a light if you're going to have to remove it to reholster. Either do it right and get a holster for the appropriate light, or do it the old fashioned way and use a handheld flashlight. You don't want to be fiddling with your light when you have to suddenly reholster. I did it that way years back when they first released the old M3 lights and there weren't any holsters available yet. I was too young and dumb to know better, even after I had an issue with needing to reholster suddenly and not being able to get my light off under stress.

I recommend trying the Safariland 6280 or the 6360. I love both of them, but prefer the 6360 for the auto lock feature.

As for lights, I really like the Surefire X2/300 series, but not for the price. I prefer the same quality in the Streamlight TLR-1 for 1/3 the price.
And if you have to go H-2-H, unload your holster gun first and rely on your concealed BUG, so that if the nut-job gets your holster gun it will be empty.
S.O.Interceptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 16:50   #4
socalchuckster

Do not buy a light that has to be taken on and off. Spend the extra money and invest in a good dedicated weapon light and holster. Imagine having to holster your weapon in an emergency situation and now having to deal with taking your light off first. The loss of manual dexterity in high stress situations will make it next to impossible to do.
socalchuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 17:00   #5
RocPO

Unfortunately, we're only allowed to use issued gear. Guess that's a no go on the light then. Thanks guys.
Old 02-25-2012, 17:18   #6
socalchuckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocPO View Post
Unfortunately, we're only allowed to use issued gear. Guess that's a no go on the light then. Thanks guys.
Maybe approach your admin with the idea and see if they will change ways. Would they allow you to buy the same style/brand holster but made for a light mounted weapon? It's 2012...I scratch my head at why each officer does not have or isn't allowed to have a light mounted to their handgun, it's something that I could never live without.
socalchuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 17:19   #7
JohnHoliday

Quote:
Thats crap, go to your chief (or immediate supervisor) and ask for an issued light holster.

A gun light is very important in my opinion, It is sad that an office/agency wouldn't allow you to have one.

I would see if you can get one issued to you, and if not, ask for written permission to purchase you own, a gun light it very useful, and necessary in my opinion. It not a replacement for a flashlight, but I use my gun mounted light almost every day.

Good luck.

Last edited by JohnHoliday; 02-25-2012 at 17:20..
JohnHoliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:38   #8
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

If you can't have a dedicated holster for it, don't bother. It is going to be more trouble than it's worth to deploy and then take off when you have to reholster and could possibly be a serious officer safety issue.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:54   #9
RocPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHoliday View Post
Thats crap, go to your chief (or immediate supervisor) and ask for an issued light holster.

A gun light is very important in my opinion, It is sad that an office/agency wouldn't allow you to have one.

I would see if you can get one issued to you, and if not, ask for written permission to purchase you own, a gun light it very useful, and necessary in my opinion. It not a replacement for a flashlight, but I use my gun mounted light almost every day.

Good luck.
I've gone to the training guys and been denied.

I completely agree, but they're concerned that if I get one, they'd have to issue everyone else one, including the small band of water heads that would use that light as their only flashlight. And that they'd have to "retrain" me on the use of the holster itself.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:31   #10
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

This.
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.O.Interceptor View Post
DO NOT use a light if you're going to have to remove it to reholster. Either do it right and get a holster for the appropriate light, or do it the old fashioned way and use a handheld flashlight. You don't want to be fiddling with your light when you have to suddenly reholster. I did it that way years back when they first released the old M3 lights and there weren't any holsters available yet. I was too young and dumb to know better, even after I had an issue with needing to reholster suddenly and not being able to get my light off under stress.

I recommend trying the Safariland 6280 or the 6360. I love both of them, but prefer the 6360 for the auto lock feature.

As for lights, I really like the Surefire X2/300 series, but not for the price. I prefer the same quality in the Streamlight TLR-1 for 1/3 the price.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:15   #11
collim1
Shower Time!

We T&E'd a few of them at my dept about 5 years ago when they first came out. I say avoid it for the reasons posted above.

I am not a SWAT officer so I am not allowed to carry a WML on duty. No matter how much I practice I cannot shoot a gun while holding a flashlight very well. With a WML I shoot nearly the same percentage as daytime shoots.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:26   #12
Vigilant

Quote:
I've gone to the training guys and been denied.

I completely agree, but they're concerned that if I get one, they'd have to issue everyone else one, including the small band of water heads that would use that light as their only flashlight. And that they'd have to "retrain" me on the use of the holster itself.
Perhaps, in their infinite wisdom, the admins have discerned that it costs less at the bottom line for an Officer to die, than to spend the money on training and equipment. Or maybe a fallen Officer would be handled from 'a different account'. Whatever the case, it appears to be one more case of bean counters with their heads up their butts having too much control over the budget.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:53   #13
blueiron

You can always make a point of their idiocy by showing up at night quals wearing a helmet mounted miner's lamp.
blueiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 14:26   #14
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiron View Post
You can always make a point of their idiocy by showing up at night quals wearing a helmet mounted miner's lamp.
We had people do some creative stuff back in the day. Some guy had those military L-shaped flashlights on their shirts, I clipped a small flashlight to my lapel, one guy wore the headband mounted flashlight, etc. Nobody wore a miner's helmet, IIRC.

IMHO, in this day and age, you really are crippling your officers by not allowing a weapon mounted light. That's like saying, well, the new cars are nice, but you can still drive the 1996 Crown Victoria so there. There is new technology, use it.

If you can't trust your officers to not use the weapons mounted light as their only light, maybe you need better training and polices, and also better officers. We have very strict policies regarding using weapons lights for anything other than as weapons lights.
Old 02-26-2012, 14:32   #15
collim1
Shower Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800 View Post
We had people do some creative stuff back in the day. Some guy had those military L-shaped flashlights on their shirts, I clipped a small flashlight to my lapel, one guy wore the headband mounted flashlight, etc. Nobody wore a miner's helmet, IIRC.

IMHO, in this day and age, you really are crippling your officers by not allowing a weapon mounted light. That's like saying, well, the new cars are nice, but you can still drive the 1996 Crown Victoria so there. There is new technology, use it.

If you can't trust your officers to not use the weapons mounted light as their only light, maybe you need better training and polices, and also better officers. We have very strict policies regarding using weapons lights for anything other than as weapons lights.
They told us that there is a danger of shooting yourself in the hand when installing/removing the light.

We argued that was a stupid reason to not allow a WML because you could just easily shoot yourself disassembling the weapon.

Unfortunately, about a week later, a deputy in neighboring agency shot himself in the hand taking the weapon light off.

That sealed it for us. No WML's except for tac team.
Old 02-26-2012, 14:34   #16
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by collim1 View Post
They told us that there is a danger of shooting yourself in the hand when installing/removing the light.

We argued that was a stupid reason to not allow a WML because you could just easily shoot yourself disassembling the weapon.

Unfortunately, about a week later, a deputy in neighboring agency shot himself in the hand taking the weapon light off.

That means any AD is good enough reason to take something away... so pretty much every department will have their duty weapons taken away because there has to be at least 1 AD with a duty weapon somewhere in department history.
Old 02-26-2012, 14:37   #17
Ryobi
SummertimeRules

There is no reason to mount or remove a light from a loaded weapon. Part of training before we issue dedicated lights/holsters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by collim1 View Post

Ryobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 14:38   #18
collim1
Shower Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800 View Post
That means any AD is good enough reason to take something away... so pretty much every department will have their duty weapons taken away because there has to be at least 1 AD with a duty weapon somewhere in department history.
IMO its a reason to not buy new holsters. The issue is about to come back up again because all the new Sigs have rails and the old holster wont fit the P226R's. We are 2+ years overdue for new pistols, and the dept is having to buy new guns with rails for new hires.

Might as well buy holsters that will fit guns with the light attached, heck I have a TLR-1 at the house that I could use if I was allowed.

Better yet just let me choose my own **** weapon for duty use. Everyone else can. Admin, narcs, investigations, special services all carry whatever they qualify with. Patrol is the only division that has equipment constraints.

Last edited by collim1; 02-26-2012 at 14:38..
Old 02-26-2012, 15:56   #19
blueiron

This kind of punishing everyone over the minor potential of an accident/incident is nothing more than that of severely intellectual deficients rubbing one out on the false pretense that they have prevented a 'tragedy'. They take perverse ecstasy in their belief that they are a true admin hero for doing such twisted inferential logic.

Administrators like this should be drug out into the streets and hung from lamp posts as soon as the revolution starts. Let real leaders lead.
blueiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 22:44   #20
Metro566
Gunfighter

Our admin supports WML's, thankfully. Our Use of Force&Firearms Instructors actually encourage all deputies to carry WML's...I think I can count on one hand how many of our guys and gals don't have one.

Metro566 is offline   Reply With Quote