SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-29-2008, 22:53   #1
G26man
OBEY ME!

Make your Tapco mags support stripper clips

One of my pet peeves about the 20rd Tapco mags was that I could never load them with stripper clips successfully. I always envisioned that if I ever had to bug out with a SKS I would take a small number (2-4) of these loaded mags and the rest of the ammo on stripper clips. This would allow one to carry a lot more ammo and reload the mags from the stripper clips as needed. In the event of a sustained battle I wanted the stripper clips to be able to load the mags directly as is possible with the stock SKS mag. Problem was I could never get it to work. I could get the first 3 or 4 rounds in but then it would usually jam.

Well last night I decided to sit down and figure out what the problem was, and it didn't take long. The stock fixed SKS mag has cutouts in the feed lips for the stripper clips to fall into. The Tapco doesn't so the stripper clip doesn't go down far enough and the rounds have about 1/8" to 1/4" of free fall before they hit the mag follower. As soon as the follower starts to offer any real resistance due to its spring being compressed the rounds get forced out of line and jam. I'm no artist with a dremel as you'll soon see but it was a fairly easy task to mimick the cutouts from the stock mag on the Tapco mags and now they work just fine.

Here's what a stock tapco mag looks like next to a stock fixed SKS mag. Notice the difference in the feed lips.

SKS Carbiners

Here's a modified Tapco next to an unmodified one (unloaded).

SKS Carbiners

And a modified Tapco next to an unmodified one (loaded)

SKS Carbiners

I believe this simple mod significantly enhances the capabilities of any SKS using the Tapco aftermarket mags. I don't know if other aftermarket SKS mags need this but as far as I know the Tapcos are the only one's with a track record of being reliable so I don't bother with any other.

In addition, anyone serious about using these mags should also do the bolt mod posted here a while back. It allows you to insert and remove mags without having to hold the bolt back which is imperative for intuitive and ergonomic operation. Performing both of these mods to your SKS goes a long way toward closing the gap between its capabilities and the AK IMHO. I believe it even surpasses the AK in some important areas, not the least of which is to be able to use both mags AND clips. You can carry more ammo on clips due to weight and space savings than you can in AK mags, but now due to this easy mod you can still do the majority of your shooting/fighting with the higher capacity quicker loading mags.
The combustion of fuel being necessary for heating and cooking in the home, the right of the people to keep fire extinguishers shall not be infringed. - Alternate structural interpretation of the 2A (to protect the people from the state militia).

Last edited by G26man; 09-30-2008 at 09:28..
G26man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 12:49   #2
RED64CJ5

Great post. I wondered what it would take to do this myself. We keep a lot of SKS around and a lot of loaded clips. This solves the issue of loading SKS that I have with the Tapco magazines.
RED64CJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 17:20   #3
tipsovr

G26- Great write up on the Tapco mags. A couple questions for you: 1) Are you using your mags with a standard wooden SKS stock or did you change the stock also? 2) Where is the write up on the mod that allows you to change the mags with the bolt closed?

Thanks in advance!!
tipsovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:11   #4
G26man
OBEY ME!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsovr View Post
Where is the write up on the mod that allows you to change the mags with the bolt closed?
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=934268
The combustion of fuel being necessary for heating and cooking in the home, the right of the people to keep fire extinguishers shall not be infringed. - Alternate structural interpretation of the 2A (to protect the people from the state militia).
Old 10-09-2008, 13:44   #5
tipsovr

Quote:
Originally Posted by G26man View Post
Great info, thank you!
tipsovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 14:53   #6
G26man
OBEY ME!

Oops forgot to answer the stock question. Yes both my Norincos I purchased already outfitted with the Tasco T6 stocks. I hear you have to remove some wood from the original stocks to use the Tapco mags, and probably any other aftermarket mags as well.
Old 12-29-2009, 14:18   #7
CrazyFeet

wow I am really glad I found this thread.

Thanks... I have a new project to work on
CrazyFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 21:53   #8
tenholewheels

i have the bolt mod and the mag mod

turns the sks into a true assault type rifle,actually better.

i also have the tech-sights so i have a longer sight radius and longer barrel

than an ak.

i also modded a couple of u.s.a 30round mags that have proven to be

reliable.

i like the idea of the one piece wooden stock of the sks also,better than

the cheap plastic of the AR platform or the 3-piece set of the AK.

i believe from a cqb standpoint, the sks's stock and folding bayonet

provide me with options.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:44   #9
Veedubklown

Just did this mod myself

I just finished this up on my 2 tapco mags, to accept the pack of 20 stripper clips I just bought. Loaded 200 rounds on em, can't wait to hit the range next weekend.