Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2014, 07:54   #1
zeke501
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: arkansas
Posts: 1,469
Commission says Christian business owners should leave religion at home

Commission says Christian business owners should leave religion at home

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/...igion-at-home/



The examiner also ordered Adamson to attend “diversity training” conducted by – wait for it – the Lexington Human Rights Commission.
zeke501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:01   #2
HalfHazzard
Señor Member
 
HalfHazzard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,188
We're in uncharted waters... Where a government can force you to perform services for other people... Kind of contrary to the principles of a free market.


Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire
__________________
The right to Bears arms shall not be infringed.
HalfHazzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:06   #3
JFrame
Senior Member
 
JFrame's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Mid-Atlantic, US of A
Posts: 32,547
I'll wait for the "separation of Church and State" folks to weigh in first...

.
__________________
"When newspapers are controlled, it's amazing how ignorant and immune from pressure the government can be." -- Amartya Sen

--
JFrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:11   #4
Incitatus1
Erect Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 309
Quote:
The examiner concluded that Blaine Adamson of Hands On Originals broke the law in 2012 by declining to print shirts promoting the Lexington Pride Festival. The Gay and Lesbian Services Organization subsequently filed a complaint.
Bad decision. If I would have been in charge I would have taken their money and delivered the crappies, most poorly executed T-shirt prints nobody would wear.
Incitatus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:12   #5
Dave514
Senior Member
 
Dave514's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: USSA
Posts: 9,822
So they don't want to print some Gay Pride festival T-Shirts. The PC police say they can't delcine printing them because of religious reasons. So if I want some shirts printed up that depict a bunch of drunk people or naked ladies or swingers club or some other activity they might disagree with on religious grounds they have to print them anyway or risk a complaint.

Welcome to taking things too far.
__________________
“I will not attack your doctrines nor your creeds if they accord liberty to me. If they hold thought to be dangerous - if they aver that doubt is a crime, then I attack them one and all, because they enslave the minds of men."
Robert Ingersoll
Dave514 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:15   #6
callihan_44
INFIDEL
 
callihan_44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Flyover,USA
Posts: 2,692
that's going to work out well, lets grease this slope while we're at it
callihan_44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:20   #7
John Rambo
Raven
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Tampa, Fl.
Posts: 9,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfHazzard View Post
We're in uncharted waters... Where a government can force you to perform services for other people... Kind of contrary to the principles of a free market.


Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire
Actually, theres plenty of court rulings that have done exactly that over the years. Its not new.
John Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:25   #8
G33
CLM Number 296
Re-Assigned
 
G33's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: With G29
Posts: 58,421


Muslims can still behead at work.....right?
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.


"I'd wager G would waterboard a salmon."--tous

"...those without swords can still die upon them." --Eowyn
G33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:29   #9
Incitatus1
Erect Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 309
Speaking of Muslims: let's just say the business owner was a devout Muslim.
Anybody want to bet that not only he would have get a pass from these stupid laws / ordinances, but those gays wouldn't even dreamed of objecting his refusal do take their business?

Last edited by Incitatus1; 10-08-2014 at 08:29..
Incitatus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:28   #10
JBnTX
God Bless Texas
 
JBnTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Between The Red And Rio Grande
Posts: 15,125
It's funny how it's only the Christians being told to sit down and shut up.

Has anyone ever told the gays they can't have a parade, ever told the Muslims to zip it about the bacon thing, or ever told an atheist to mind his own business?

..

Last edited by JBnTX; 10-08-2014 at 09:29..
JBnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:35   #11
snerd
Senior Member
 
snerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 6,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incitatus1 View Post
Speaking of Muslims: let's just say the business owner was a devout Muslim.
Anybody want to bet that not only he would have get a pass from these stupid laws / ordinances, but those gays wouldn't even dreamed of objecting his refusal do take their business?
Dude, I don't think I would stick my neck out by poking my head into a Muslim business!
snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:54   #12
JBnTX
God Bless Texas
 
JBnTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Between The Red And Rio Grande
Posts: 15,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFrame View Post

I'll wait for the "separation of Church and State" folks to weigh in first...
Where are those guys anyway?
Where's those posters that fear that big old evil government?

This thread is tailor made for them.
JBnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:54   #13
SC Tiger
Some say...
 
SC Tiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 9,305
This is ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incitatus1 View Post
Bad decision. If I would have been in charge I would have taken their money and delivered the crappies, most poorly executed T-shirt prints nobody would wear.
Honestly, as long as you didn't do something that could be construed as sabotage (such as printing anti-gay stuff on them) that may be the best option if you don't want to do it.

It's like the wedding cake issue a while back. If you bake a crappy cake you just fouled up. Oops. Mistakes happen.

If you bake crap INTO the cake, you could be prosecuted I imagine.
__________________
Hug your barking irons as the Devil hugs a witch

Quote:
If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Last edited by SC Tiger; 10-08-2014 at 09:57..
SC Tiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 09:57   #14
JFrame
Senior Member
 
JFrame's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Mid-Atlantic, US of A
Posts: 32,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incitatus1 View Post
Speaking of Muslims: let's just say the business owner was a devout Muslim.
Anybody want to bet that not only he would have get a pass from these stupid laws / ordinances, but those gays wouldn't even dreamed of objecting his refusal do take their business?
Muslim business owner: "What you ask goes against the Koran and my belief."

Customer: "Oh, my goodness -- I'm so sorry for intruding on your faith and your cultural sensitivities!"


Christian business owner: "What you ask goes against the Bible and my belief."

Customer: "I'm gonna sue!"

.
__________________
"When newspapers are controlled, it's amazing how ignorant and immune from pressure the government can be." -- Amartya Sen

--
JFrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 10:11   #15
Dave514
Senior Member
 
Dave514's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: USSA
Posts: 9,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
Where are those guys anyway?
Where's those posters that fear that big old evil government?

This thread is tailor made for them.

See post #5.

Keep your mythology out of my government and away from my tax dollars. You are subsidized enough.

I don't know where you think a T-Shirt shop falls? Is that a Church or is that the State?

It's the "big old evil government" that's going to tell the Shop they have to make Gay Pride shirts. Understand before you post.

And just to spell it out for you, Separation of Church and State people don't want the govenrment telling private business what to do unless absolutely necessary. i.e. I am against making this shop print shirts they don't want to print.
__________________
“I will not attack your doctrines nor your creeds if they accord liberty to me. If they hold thought to be dangerous - if they aver that doubt is a crime, then I attack them one and all, because they enslave the minds of men."
Robert Ingersoll

Last edited by Dave514; 10-08-2014 at 10:13..
Dave514 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 10:33   #16
JBnTX
God Bless Texas
 
JBnTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Between The Red And Rio Grande
Posts: 15,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave514 View Post
See post #5.

Keep your mythology out of my government and away from my tax dollars. You are subsidized enough.

I don't know where you think a T-Shirt shop falls? Is that a Church or is that the State?

It's the "big old evil government" that's going to tell the Shop they have to make Gay Pride shirts. Understand before you post.

And just to spell it out for you, Separation of Church and State people don't want the govenrment telling private business what to do unless absolutely necessary. i.e. I am against making this shop print shirts they don't want to print.

Oh Snap! I guess you put me in my place.
JBnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:13   #17
John Rambo
Raven
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Tampa, Fl.
Posts: 9,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
Where are those guys anyway?
Where's those posters that fear that big old evil government?

This thread is tailor made for them.


You know, you're finally right. You're absolutely correct in this thread. But, not on any moral or decent level. No, you're right in the same way Gov. Wallace would've been right if he had the law on his side when blocking the students from entering that school. Well, no, you're not really right at all, but I wanted to start this post off on a positive note. Let me explain.

Discrimination based on protected classes is flat out illegal and a fairly old law. If I want to rent a hotel room from you, you can't tell me no because I'm black. Now, some states extend the protected classification to sexual orientation, but I don't think theres anything in the Federal Government which does. There should be. But there isn't. No gay person should be able to discriminate against me because I'm straight, and likewise. But, since there isn't, barring local laws, its a government overreach if they try to force the issue.

So, onto why you're wrong. Lexington, Kentucky has local anti-discrimination laws. Thats not the federal government, thats the local government doing the things it was intended to do in the constitution. Wiki says their laws were passed in 1999, so thats not exactly a new thing either.

In conclusion, although us anti-big-government types are here, most of us won't see this as federal government overreach. You, on the other hand...I hope you learned something, but I doubt you'll take anything to heart that forces you to re-evaluate your perspectice, no matter how factual.

Last edited by John Rambo; 10-08-2014 at 11:17..
John Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:16   #18
JBnTX
God Bless Texas
 
JBnTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Between The Red And Rio Grande
Posts: 15,125
I just love how you guys make these threads about me, and avoid the issue.
JBnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:18   #19
Paul7
New Guy
 
Paul7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: East of Eden
Posts: 13,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rambo View Post


You know, you're finally right. You're absolutely correct in this thread. But, not on any moral or decent level. No, you're right in the same way Gov. Wallace would've been right if he had the law on his side when blocking the students from entering that school. Well, no, you're not really right at all, but I wanted to start this post off on a positive note. Let me explain.

Discrimination based on protected classes is flat out illegal and a fairly old law. If I want to rent a hotel room from you, you can't tell me no because I'm black. Now, some states extend the protected classification to sexual orientation, but I don't think theres anything in the Federal Government which does. There should be. But there isn't. No gay person should be able to discriminate against me because I'm straight, and likewise. But, since there isn't, barring local laws, its a government overreach if they try to force the issue.

So, onto why you're wrong. Lexington, Kentucky has local anti-discrimination laws. Thats not the federal government, thats the local government doing the things it was intended to do in the constitution. Wiki says their laws were passed in 1999, so thats not exactly a new thing either.

In conclusion, although us anti-big-government types are here, most of us won't see this as federal government overreach. You, on the other hand...I hope you learned something, but I doubt you'll take anything to heart that forces you to re-evaluate your perspectice, no matter how factual.
So should a black-owned business be forced to make t-shirts for the KKK? How about a Jewish owned business for the Nazis?
__________________
“I don’t believe that people should be able to own guns.” Obama to John R. Lott Jr. in a private conversation at the University of Chicago.
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:18   #20
John Rambo
Raven
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Tampa, Fl.
Posts: 9,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
I just love how you guys make these threads about me, and avoid the issue.
The issue is that you hate the constitution and want a Theocracy. Thats always been the issue with you.
John Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 18:38.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,128
351 Members
777 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31