Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-06-2008, 12:38   #1
cookekdjr

Obama outraises McCain 6:1 among active overseas military

Just some food for thought:

Obama outraises McCain 6:1 among active overseas military
The Center for Responsive politics has come out with a new study on donations from military personnel to presidential candidates, and the results are actively embarrassing for Senator John McCain. Despite McCain’s own veteran status and a media narrative that paints him as a foreign policy expert (despite all evidence to the contrary), the troops which have the most on the line have overwhelmingly favored Senator Obama with their donations.

According to an analysis of campaign contributions by the nonpartisan Center for Responsive Politics, Democrat Barack Obama has received nearly six times as much money from troops deployed overseas at the time of their contributions than has Republican John McCain, and the fiercely anti-war Ron Paul, though he suspended his campaign for the Republican nomination months ago, has received more than four times McCain’s haul.

What’s arguably even more embarrassing for Senator McCain than Barack Obama’s fundraising prowess is that Ron Paul out raised him by more than a 4:1 margin from active overseas military. Ron Paul, despite being borderline certifiable with some of his policy ideas, was the only Republican candidate who was anti-war in the primary. Between the contributions that Ron Paul and Barack Obama have received, it’s clear that active duty military that are deployed overseas are sending a clear message that they are ready to end America’s military engagement in Iraq.

The study also goes on to analyze the contributions from all active duty military, regardless if they are stationed here or abroad. While Senator Obama’s lead over John McCain is not as commanding as it is with just overseas troops, Senator Obama still leads John McCain when it comes to military contributions. What’s more amazing though, is that Senator McCain actually performs much worse than the Republican party when it comes to military fundraising.

Despite McCain’s status as a decorated veteran and a historically Republican bent among the military, members of the armed services overall — whether stationed overseas or at home — are also favoring Obama with their campaign contributions in 2008, by a $55,000 margin. Although 59 percent of federal contributions by military personnel has gone to Republicans this cycle, of money from the military to the presumed presidential nominees, 57 percent has gone to Obama. (emphasis mine)

So despite the Republican party leading the Democratic party overall in military contributions by an 18 percent margin, John McCain trails Barack Obama by a 14 percent margin in overall contributions. Maybe it’s been brought to the attention of active military members that when it comes to Veteran Care, Senator Obama is clearly the better candidate than John McCain. Or maybe they are sick and tired of being the ones stuck in a never ending war. But whatever the reason, this year it’s clear that John McCain will not be able to count on the military vote like Republicans have in the past (Bush beat Gore 2-1 in the active military vote), and that should be very worrying to his campaign.

UPDATE: Barack Obama has raised $60,642 from 134 donors (overseas troops) and $335,536 from 859 donors (all military personnel). John McCain raise $10,665 from 26 donors (overseas troops), and $280,513 from 558 donors (all military personnel). It’s important to point out that this study only covers donations over $200 that are reported to the FEC, and does not include the $25 and $50 donations that Barack usually racks up.

Source: http://strategy08.wordpress.com/2008...seas-military/

Last edited by cookekdjr; 09-06-2008 at 12:40.. Reason: to add source
cookekdjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 15:12   #2
deadday

Because a lot of the people overseas think that voting for Obama will bring them home majically....

drew
There's one less tornado in Texas, a saddle is empty tonight...There's one hell of a cowboy in heaven, at the big rodeo in the sky. RIP LCpl Blake Wafford, Spc. Devon Gibbons, PFC Dean Bright, SSg Brian Craig. In the field we had a code of honor: you watch my back, I watch yours. Back here there's NOTHING.
deadday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 15:22   #3
striker6126

My best friend is a Maj. In the Army and he prays every night for Mccain to get elected.
striker6126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 15:24   #4
Javelin
Silver Membership
Got Glock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadday View Post
Because a lot of the people overseas think that voting for Obama will bring them home majically....

drew
I noticed this when Kerry was running for President. But what I noticed most were the ones that were 'pro-Kerry supporters' did not vote and spent most of their time drinking in the barracks. So really in the end it made no difference what the lefties in the Armed Forces thought.

Those of us who did take the time to register and vote voted Republican IMO
Disclaimer: This writer is not a lawyer. This product is meant for entertainment and fan or political fiction purposes only and writer accepts no liability. All material should be considered as infotainment only. Writer does not own any characters, topics or subject matter in this story. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is for entertainment only. If rash, irritation, redness, or swelling develops, discontinue reading immediately and consult your physician.
Javelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 13:07   #5
REDDAWN

BIG supporters for LOW Paid Military. Don't you think??
REDDAWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 14:04   #6
Fred Hansen
Liberal Bane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG4fe9GlWS8
When change is absolute there remains no being to improve and no direction is set for possible improvement: and when experience is not retained, as among savages, infancy is perpetual. - George Santayana
Fred Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 16:08   #7
nnickatnight

The Center for Responsive Politics is a leftist group so of course the spin is favorable to the Obamination.
nnickatnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 18:02   #8
GVFlyer

The quoted article qualifies as political propaganda. Although retired from the Army, I still serve in an advisory capacity to the Guard at the brigade level. Military personnel are overwhelming for John McCain.

The military primarily votes Republican, we know the Democrats would hang us out to dry. I have a top down and bottom up view of this - as a junior officer I was a voting officer.

The democrats know the military is almost a monolithic Republican voting block so they try to change the truth through means such as this article. They also do disgraceful things like going to court to keep the military's absentee ballots from being counted in the contentious 2000 presidential election.

Last edited by GVFlyer; 09-10-2008 at 18:05..
GVFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 17:01   #9
ChrisK

As a former active duty member and now in the reserves I can tell you that all of the people I talk to support McCain. I would say it is 99 to 1. My son is stationed a Beale AFB and he says the same.
1911 Club #871
Niners Club #871
KC135R Hydraulic Tech
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 17:12   #10
Norman
CLM Number 32
Non nobis

Not surprising considering you find this on that very same website:

Strategy ‘08 is a new blog dedicated to covering issues surrounding the 2008 Presidential Campaign between Barack Obama and John McCain. Authors are long-time bloggers and unabashed Barack Obama supporters dansac, slinkerwink, turneresq, zenbowl, smash artist and gdh1 who often post on DailyKos and elsewhere.

and above that,

Obama vs. the other guy, 2008

No bias in the facts there, huh?
Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 03:06   #11
SW342

Quote:
Originally Posted by striker6126 View Post
My best friend is a Maj. In the Army and he prays every night for Mccain to get elected.

So do I, and lots of other folks.

Go McCain!
SW342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 07:47   #12
zoyter2
Yeah, so what?

I have no scientific data to back this up, but I call 'HUMONGOUS' BS.

I am yet to find a soldier who supports Obama. I am sure they are out there, but 6:1? BFS.
Old 09-14-2008, 20:51   #13
FL2NV

Ron Paul was the GOP's leading money getter from military..just saying.
FL2NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 21:53   #14
mitchshrader
Deceased

i'm willing to believe soldiers don't respect incompetent commanders, but that doesn't explain obama's popularity.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:17   #15
zooropa

"UPDATE: Barack Obama has raised $60,642 from 134 donors (overseas troops) and $335,536 from 859 donors (all military personnel). John McCain raise $10,665 from 26 donors (overseas troops), and $280,513 from 558 donors (all military personnel). It’s important to point out that this study only covers donations over $200 that are reported to the FEC, and does not include the $25 and $50 donations that Barack usually racks up."

*This is an absolutely invalid statistical sample. Poorly spun by a biased political group.

"It does not include the $25 and $50 donations that Barack usually racks up."

*Oh, how convenient. No, it does not include the $25 and $50 donations that constitute the overwheming majority of military donations. If you were to actually analyse those military donations (instead of just saying what you wish to be true as fact) you might (likely would) find a completely different story.

Nice attempt to try to convince folks that the miltary rank and file wants Obama. Perhaps it will work on folks who know absolutely no one in the military and have trouble reading (i.e. much of his current base). But I doubt it will work here.

Last edited by zooropa; 09-17-2008 at 10:21..
zooropa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 21:35   #16
Linh40

Whether a person support Obama or McCain. One thing is clear for carreer military personnel or those in for a few years after deploying a few times it stasrts to take a tow on people.

Think about this, husband and wife are both military. Husband deploy for "12 months" then get extended for another 3 months. Comes home only to find out wife's unit is deploying for 12 months. So they would have lived apart for over 2 years. Yeah it was their choice to join.................

That's why some want obama to win thinking that they will be home quicker and deploy less maybe maybe not who knows but at least he sounds good

This might be my first time voting since I want Obama to win...........................jk LOL

If you want to know what happens if McCain or Obama win:

Obama: America will be like South Africa
McCain: It will be like Bush's third term

Last edited by Linh40; 09-17-2008 at 21:38..
Linh40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 21:56   #17
Dirty Dealer

I know this is off topic but; If the economy is so bad hows come the two guys running for president can raise over 110 million dollars in campaign money between them in just one month?
Dirty Dealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 08:08   #18
CPT_CRUNCH
P.O.W.

dont let GT fool ya... dont let your brother or your cousin or whoever else you "know" in the military fool ya... there are A LOT service members who support OBAMA.

i support him, have given his campaign money, ever volunteered some of my time for the cause. and as a combat vet, still serving and leading Soldiers EVERY DAY; understand that not all service members automatically vote republican.
:patriot:
CPT_CRUNCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 08:25   #19
4TS&W
2A RKBA 4EVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT_CRUNCH View Post
dont let GT fool ya... dont let your brother or your cousin or whoever else you "know" in the military fool ya... there are A LOT service members who support OBAMA.

i support him, have given his campaign money, ever volunteered some of my time for the cause. and as a combat vet, still serving and leading Soldiers EVERY DAY; understand that not all service members automatically vote republican.
Yeah, only the smart ones do....
4TS&W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 10:00   #20
Captain Caveman
a.k.a. DaReaper

I only know of 1. A co-worker who is also a Lt. Col. in the Army Reserves. I've known him for 12yrs and never really clicked with him. But I respect the HELL out of his rank.
so they went to the polls and removed all doubt.
Captain Caveman is offline   Reply With Quote