Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:21   #1
Need4Speed

G30 slide stuck with a live round in the tube.

Took the toy to the range yesterday to try out some different combos of barrels, recoil springs, and ammo.

So I'm trying a mag full of 255GR hard cast flat nose +p, out of a Lone Wolf barrel. I rack the slide, and it doesn't spring all the way back into the fire positon. It's back about a 1/4 inch or so, about the same location you pull back on the slide to push down on the two slide releases. I popped the mag, and the slide is very stuck, will barely go back at all, just barely a wiggle. I can look up the gun where the mag goes, and I can see the round is not flush in the chamber.

I am tempted to push on the slide releases and pull the trigger so I can pull the slide....but if that thing goes off....

Gunsmith time?? Any ideas?
Need4Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:26   #2
batman4706

I had a Colt 380 that fell off a motorcycle at 60 mph and the slide was stuck fully fwd with a Glaser Safety slug in the chamber. The hammer was cocked, but it would not fire when the trigger was pulled. Finally I drilled (very slowly) the bullet out, then I dumped the powder, then I sprayed WD40 into the case.

I waited a while the knocked it open with a hard plastic mallet.
batman4706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:39   #3
gnystrom

Don't do anything until you have more opinions.
gnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:47   #4
ede
Bama's Friend

Place front end of slide against a firm surface and smack the back of the grip. Doubt the trigger will release without being in battery.
PM Black Diamond 538 F&AM
Bamatrooper taught Chuck Norris how to shoot.
ede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:01   #5
Z71bill

I am not telling you what you should do - I am not qualified to give advice except on the internet.

If I was faced with this situation again -

I would either push the slide forward and fire the round - or pull the slide back and remove the round. I don't see any other option.

I would try and pull back on the slide first - seems safer - and less likely to cause damage.

I will guess it will come back if you pull on it HARD -

I would 100% for sure - no freaking way - pull down on the slide lock and pull the trigger.

BTW the slide release is the lever on the left side that locks back the slide. The two little tabs you are talking about is the slide lock.

Someone will be along soon to tell you what to do that knows better than I do.

Last edited by Z71bill; 11-18-2014 at 08:39..
Z71bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:15   #6
Need4Speed

Batman, you crazy ass superhero. No freaking way I am sticking a drill bit down the business end of a barrel with a live round in it. I suppose you got away with it because...well...you're batman.

Getting some ideas here. Keep them coming!
Old 11-18-2014, 08:19   #7
MooMooBoo

Maybe take it to a armorer. I sure wouldn't take a drill
MooMooBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:28   #8
bilkay

Gunsmith. Period.
bilkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:31   #9
DocWills

Gunsmith,or use a fat brass rod to drive the bullet into the case a bit and unlock the slide. Im glad I don't have to tell you not to drill out a live round. We call that the herd thinning itself.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:33   #10
ken grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ede View Post
Place front end of slide against a firm surface and smack the back of the grip. Doubt the trigger will release without being in battery.

Have done the above many times over the many years I have been shooting.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:42   #11
JBP55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ede View Post
What he said.
JBP55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 09:20   #12
Rebel 6

Sorry I'm no help on getting out the stuck round, but on a related note, this is proof that a G30 and G30S simply do no like Underwood 255GR hard cast flat nose +p. When I tried some in my G30S, 3 out of 5 rounds jammed. Something on the lead bullet itself hangs up on the feed ramp.

That make that particular round a no-go for carry. I traded my remaining 45 rounds for 2 boxes of cheap practice ammo, just to get rid of it.

And I bought some Buffalo Bore 230GR flat nose FMJ +p. A G30S feeds that just fine. That will be my woods round for this gun.

115 + 115 = 230
Rebel 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 09:34   #13
b_oglethorpe

If you can get a glock takedown tool in to disassemble the slide you can pull the slide back plate off pull the striker out and safety plunger spring you can pull the slide off without forcing anything. There is a video on YouTube. I would reference that first. Google disassembly of glock without pulling trigger.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
b_oglethorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 10:16   #14
Batts

If the cartridge is jammed at an angle, press it up from below to align it for full seating.

If it is jammed on a chunk of lead into the cylinder block and is holding the slide in place w/ the extractor, simply raise the extractor w/ a toothpick and pull the slide back.

Drilling the bullet to release the powder should be done by hand, not by power drill.

Check for squibs before attempting ... this might even be the problem?

Oh, and taking the backing plate off the slide might work too.

I use bamboo skewers ... 2 bucks for hundred and no scratching.

Batts

Last edited by Batts; 11-18-2014 at 10:20..
Batts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 14:01   #15
Emmett4glock

I know this comment isn't anywhere near the top of your priority list but if you decide to remedy this yourself; have someone film it and post to youtube. Best of Luck in solving this predicament.
Emmett4glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 16:35   #16
ca survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWills View Post
Gunsmith,or use a fat brass rod to drive the bullet into the case a bit and unlock the slide. Im glad I don't have to tell you not to drill out a live round. We call that the herd thinning itself.
yep, were are the hands and maybe the face when doing the drilling ?
Old 11-18-2014, 16:59   #17
robhic
Platinum Membership
WOLVERINE!!!!

Same problem here with my G30sf about 2 years ago. A MagTech 230gr JHP round stuck in the chamber. I went home, took the back end and the guts from the slide + striker. Removed it all then took a small wooden dowel I use to disassemble my Ruger 22 pistols and tapped the nose of the bullet to free it. After I stopped sweating and shaking it worked great.

"Giving Money and Power to Government is Like Giving Whiskey and Car Keys to Teenage Boys" - PJ O'Rourke
robhic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 17:36   #18
DWARREN123
Grumpy Old Guy

Put front of slide against wood or plastic (non marring surface) and hit the grip with hand. Round is out of spec or chamber really dirty.
I have done this before, always use caution and safety gear.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:13   #19
Z71bill

Imagine this type of jam happening during a SD situation.

Makes a guy want to check their carry ammo before they load the gun.
Z71bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 12:21   #20
Need4Speed

Tried the procedure described by ede when I got home yesterday. I probably wasn't hitting the grip hard enough, no love.

Took it to the shop I bought it from. Kinda funny. I plop the case on the counter, and state that I have a "sick glock" I'd like them to look at. I open the cover, and tell the guy that there is a live round stuck in the chamber. Dude behind the counter puts up his hands and says "you brought a gun with a live round into my store?". I looked at him and said that I didn't have much choice, and I wouldn't be here if it wasn't stuck.

Old dude comes up from the back room, and spins the gun in the case, at one point it was pointed in the direction of the guy behind the counter. He's about ready to **** himself. Old dude says "what? don't know how a glock works??". Takes it in the back, and comes back out a few minutes later with the round in one hand and the gun in the other. Not sure what magic he did, but he did say he was about to get out the mallet....

Looks like the round was deformed. Not sure how much of it was from me continually trying to work the slide or if it was that way at the beginning. Anyway problem solved, and no more Underwood 255gr ammo.