Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-31-2014, 09:35   #1
lenshure

bad reload

Oops. I blew out the magazine from a G 17 with a bad reload. Can the gun be saved? Do I need to get a new barrel? Please help. I love shooting my Glock but can't afford to buy a new one.
lenshure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:39   #2
Just_plinking

yes, or no, or maybe. Is the gun broken? is the barel broken? Can they be fixed? Herein lies your answer.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:39   #3
SCC
Member Me

Send a message via Skype™ to SCC
You need to post lots of info for us to tell
SCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:05   #4
SJ 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCC View Post
You need to post lots of info for us to tell
Agreed, more than you have provided thus far. SJ 40
SJ 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:07   #5
MooMooBoo

Uh yea. Did the round somehow explode in the magazine? Barrel?
MooMooBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:23   #6
DWARREN123
Grumpy Old Guy

Take it to a Glock armor or good gunsmith for an eval on the firearm.
May need nothing or may need a total rebuild.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:42   #7
nraman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenshure View Post
Oops. I blew out the magazine from a G 17 with a bad reload. Can the gun be saved? Do I need to get a new barrel? Please help. I love shooting my Glock but can't afford to buy a new one.
Put a straight edge against the barrel, look for bulging.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:59   #8
ken grant

Same happened to me, a small hole in the case blew out , magazine blew out, a smoked up hand and stinging.

Pulled the 19 down and checked it out while at the range and found nothing wrong.

Just kept on shooting with no problems except for my shooting suffering after the blowout.

Several 1,000 rds. fired later with no more problems.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:34   #9
mboylan

First revisit your loading procedures. Examine the case and determine what exactly happened. Was it a defective case? Was it a double charge? Was it an overcharge with a really fast powder. If you can still rack the slide easily, your barrel probably has not bulged. You are lucky to have your fingers and eyes intact.

Are they your reloads? Someone elses (Don't do that again)? If they are commercial reloads, contact the company immediately.

The gun needs to go to an armorer or back to Glock.

Last edited by mboylan; 08-31-2014 at 11:37..
mboylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:45   #10
Vartarg

Been there, done that!

Same thing several years ago, a Glock 21 at Thunder Ranch at night....very memorable event

Send it back to Glock.....they'll charge you, but likely return the gun in great shape....

I stopped loading on a Dillon, now use a Lee turret. I'm just not well suited to a bunch of things going on at one time. YMMV

Let us know how it turns out for you,

Glad you're OK,

George
Old 08-31-2014, 13:10   #11
Noponer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vartarg View Post
... I stopped loading on a Dillon, now use a Lee turret. I'm just not well suited to a bunch of things going on at one time. YMMV
It's decent of you to take the blame. It is easier to miss a step with a progressive loader, regardless of the brand of loader. Dillon's are great machines... that's all I have ever used, so I had to get accustomed to watching my steps carefully. I have loaded about 50,000 rounds on my Dillon RL550B with no significant problems.

I have blown 2 cases during USPSA matches with my reloads. I thought the first was an incorrect bullet/load combination, but later I had one blow with a time-proven load. I found out that I had been using some faulty manufactured cases in both instances. The magazines blew out in both instances... along with one extractor (never found that sucker!). After putting in spare parts, I was able to finish the matches.

As advised above... at least, be sure the barrel is not bulged (mine was not) - or send it to Glock for examination.

Last edited by Noponer; 08-31-2014 at 13:11..
Noponer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 13:12   #12
Bruce M

Good thing it was only the gun or hopefully only the magazine and not you.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 13:52   #13
sciolist

As far as loading on a 550 goes, you just need to make sure you see powder in the case at Station 3. That should not be a problem, as you have to look at the case to place a bullet on top of it. Just use a desk lamp to make sure you can see in.

Most of the powders I use need a charge in the 3.25gr range for Production ammo. That is easily visible during loading, and a double charge would be quite obvious. An intelligent person is going to intentionally double-charge a case to make sure he knows what it looks like. There is no way you could put a bullet on top of a double charge like this (let alone a double charge of slower powder or hotter ammo) without being aware of it.

All the cases I’ve ever blown (maybe a total of 10 or so) have ruptured at the mouth, with a crack spanning back maybe a third to half the case. This has never resulted in any sort of ‘kB’ event. It probably sends some extra combustion gas back to the breech, but is not going to do any significant damage to the gun.

A head separation would be a different story, but based on my experience reloading mixed range brass, that does not seem too likely. Over the last 4 years, I’ve probably picked up about 150K 9mm cases, including a few with blown out heads. They stand out pretty well, especially after the brass is tumbled.

Sure, stuff happens. But I think if you’re loading 9mm to 130PF, blowing cases is not a major concern. Even with 9 Major, the brass is not being pushed that hard.

I have witnessed one of these mag-blowout events up close. It was with a G19, shooting home reloads. No one seemed to be sure what had happened. The shooter stopped, we looked the gun and mag over, seemed OK, and went back to shooting. The gun ran fine after that.
sciolist is offline   Reply With Quote