Home Forums Classifieds GT Store Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-06-2015, 12:44   #1
GCBHM

The only reason Glock is so popular...

"The only reason Glock is so popular is b/c they are cheap, they have great marketing and the best after market accessories."

I am always amused when I see this statement made by those who are somehow trying to prove that Glocks really suck. I was watching a video some clowns made where they were submerging pistols under water and shooting them, etc., citing that the P226 (a pistol I love) is the Glock slayer. Both pistols faltered in this test, yet somehow the P226 came out being the Glock slayer. LOL

Of course the ensuing conversations blew up, as you can imagine, and the statement above makes it way in by some fool who thinks he is being objective...another laughable attempt. What is it that these clowns do not get as if cheap cost and marketing will keep professionals and serious CCs buying the product? I guess Glock saw all the after market accessories that were available for their guns, so they needed to make so many to fill all the holsters and lights that were being made for Glocks.

"People are buying fewer Glocks than five years ago, and even fewer than ten years ago."

OK, seriously? There are a number of striker fire pistols on the market today as the result of Glock's success. Many of these are fine offerings and certainly fill gaps where the Glock simply did not get to for one reason or another. I know for a fact that a lot of folks who wanted to buy a striker fire gun, but did not want a "Glock" bought the M&P as soon as it came out. I know people who carried Glocks who know won't carry one b/c they like another striker fire offering better. All these things are true! But it seems to me that every time I go into my LSG or the range I see someone wither buy a Glock or shooting them. It seems nearly every shooting instructor I see either in person or in a video uses a Glock. But, with all the new and better striker fire pistols available, I guess Glock just needs to shut the doors and retire, but wait!!!

Just two years ago, the British Army purchased 25,000 Glock 17 Gen4s to replace their aging BHP. In February of this year the MARSOC officially approved the Glock 19 for use citing the troops prefer it to the Colt. The Army Delta Force have used a Glock for years, but most recently transitioned to the 9mm (19, 17 and 34) instead of the .40. DEVGRU (SEAL Team Six) uses the Glock as does the USAFSOC, along with countless other militaries and police departments around the world, yet we are expected to believe that the only reason these professionals are using Glocks is b/c they are cheap, the marketing is better, and they have the most after market accessories. Granted, there are a lot of really great striker fire polymer pistols on the market, and I like most if not all of them, but I have to say I find it humorous to see the haters try feverishly to prove Glocks really suck and are losing to new and better designs.

The truth is that since Glock hit the scene, all the major manufacturers were trying to convince buyers that the plastic striker fire gun was junk and would never stand the test of time. Dyed in the wool steel gun guys scoffed and turned their noses up at the silly little watergun, laughing them to scorn (I was one of these btw). Meanwhile, Glock was steadily going about proving them all wrong. Now, some 30 years later, all of them are producing plastic striker fire guns and comparing themselves to the Glock, but yeah...the only reason all these professionals use the Glock is b/c they are cheap and Glock has great marketing and accessories.
GCBHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 13:13   #2
skyboss_4evr

There are some who just like to hate on a particular platform for no valid reason. I'm a GLOCK guy, but have a love for all firearms.

Just because I don't own a 1911, for example, doesn't make them inferior in my mind. I simply don't own one...yet.

Sadly, there are many folks who simply cannot appreciate firearms as a whole because they let blind, brand loyalty get in the way.
Old 04-06-2015, 13:14   #3
Ernest72

[QUOTE=GCBHM;22079626]"The only reason Glock is so popular is b/c they are cheap, they have great marketing and the best after market accessories

I agree except I would change cheap to affordable. Cheap makes them sound like they don't have quality. But since they are so reliable, they really are affordable compared to other manufacturers. Why pay more for the others , except for perhaps preference or if you like pretty guns because one Glocks are not is pretty.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 13:15   #4
GCBHM

Agreed. I don't get it, but that's the way it is.
GCBHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 13:26   #5
tonyparson

Glocks are poplar because you can trust your life to one. In the 20 years that I've been shooting handguns, I can honestly say Glock is the only handgun I've never had an issue with. And I've tried them all over the years.

Last edited by tonyparson; 04-06-2015 at 17:29..
tonyparson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 13:38   #6
2guns

I enjoy guns from Hi-point to custom 1911s. For whatever reason I really enjoy glocks the most. But what do I know I have only been shooting since I was 7 (50 years).

Please be safe
Joethebear
Old 04-06-2015, 13:48   #7
Tucker3434

Glocks are good quality and reasonably priced. It shouldn't be too difficult to figure out why that type of product is popular.
Tucker3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 14:36   #8
Nestor
Lean & Mean

I couldn't care less about what other people think about the choices that I made regarding my stuff and I don't care either what works for the others. If everybody would stick to such rule, we could be one, happy bunch.

R.I.P Jeff (23Skidoo), Chad (CJLandry) & Mark (Okie) You all will be missed.

Last edited by Nestor; 04-06-2015 at 14:37..
Nestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 14:52   #9
1911toGLOCK

Glocks are cheap??? I didn't get that memo. Hipoints are cheap. That memo I got.
Old 04-06-2015, 15:12   #10
IamtheNRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker3434 View Post
Glocks are good quality and reasonably priced. It shouldn't be too difficult to figure out why that type of product is popular.
^ this

It's like someone asking why the Toyota Camry is so popular.

Last edited by IamtheNRA; 04-06-2015 at 15:13..
IamtheNRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 15:17   #11
ensure

Because they work time and time again.
ensure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 15:27   #12
IamtheNRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensure View Post
Because they work time and time again.
Yup...relatively inexpensive, well constructed, and stone cold reliable...what's not to love?
Old 04-06-2015, 15:55   #13
Wetrudgeon

We know shooters who prefer some other brand to Glock. But we don't know any (knowledgeable) shooters who disparage Glock.

We trudge on.
Wetrudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 16:23   #14
GlockFan7

I've been shooting for decades, but I'm somewhat of a newcomer to Glocks. The first Glock I ever held, was my dad's brand new Glock 22 Gen 2 that was issued to him. He liked his Glock so much that he bought a Glock 22 Gen 3 right before he retired and a Glock 27 Gen 3 not long after. With all three, I gave a polite, "Yes...that's nice", but never had an interest in shooting one. I decided after the Gen 4's were released, that I needed to add a Glock to my collection. Since the Glock 17 was the first Glock, it had to be mine as well. I bought it purely because I wanted one. It didn't matter if I liked it or not. As it turned out, I did. The 17 is far from my favorite Glock, but I do like it. The fact that Glocks are so well sought after by professionals in law enforcement, military and various security services was a bonus, but not necessarily a motivation for me. I consider opinions a waste of breath unless I ask for it. I the concept of marketing, is to get me to buy something whether I want it or not, whether I need it or not, so someone can take my money. So...I ignore that too. I already had several Glocks before I knew Glocktalk existed, so there was no influence there. I own more Glocks than most of my friends combined, so no influence there either. I bought my Glocks purely and simply, because I wanted one...then another and another and so on. Trying to find reason, justification, logic or whatever is a waste of time. If someone buys a Glock or a Ford or a double mocha latte freezer...just go with it. It's okay, really.
GlockFan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 16:30   #15
mj9mm

Yea,,, and we just had a thread on GT asking why Glocks are so expensive.
Old 04-06-2015, 16:40   #16
glide

My opinion on Glock pistols was skewed when I first heard that Glock was ugly and were made of plastic. But as time went on I eventually warmed up to platform. Got my first Glock pistol (Model 19 gen 3) years ago and I was amazed at how well it performs. I love the aftermarket support and the simplicity of the pistol. It's not a target gun but could be if you throw enough money into it. But I already have firearms that are set up for accuracy.
Old 04-06-2015, 16:43   #17
LampShadeActual

L.L.Bean: "Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten."

That is all you need to know.

Glocks work.

Period.

_____

I would buy them at twice the price because they work and are trouble free long past when Mama says we need some food rather than more ammo.

Besides, the cost of a gun is nothing. Say you shoot one 30,000 rounds over X many years. That's 600 boxes of ammo times the cheapest 9mm at $12 or so equalling $7200. The most expensive Glock is no where near 1/10th that much. If you cannot afford a quality gun, you sure as hell can't afford to shoot it.

For a .40 or .357 or .45acp, double that $7200.

Last edited by LampShadeActual; 04-06-2015 at 16:44..
LampShadeActual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 16:51   #18
cciman

Actually, they are cheap.... and they work reliably with minimal maintenance, and fewest parts count, simplest design, and cheapest production while keeping consistent specs.

Those above, and they treated the bare metal slide and barrels to be super hard and rust resistant.

Above was what turned the gun industry on its ear in the early 90's. Prices have not changed much since that time.
cciman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 16:53   #19
chandne

Haters will hate. Glock will still outsell pretty much anything. They are reliable and accurate. I took my three Gen 4s out to the range yesterday..26, 19, 20. Fantastic accuracy with stock sights., 100% reliability even when new, and I was in a much better frame of mind after. Heck, it made me even go to the gym today.

I consider Glocks reasonably priced and the best gun for the money. I can afford pretty much any gun I want (had 8-10 HKs and a few Sigs) but the Glock just fits, works like a beast of burden, is accurate, and low maintenance.

For a defense gun, I'll take a Glock first and HK second. I like HKs but I prefer the Glock trigger. Haters will hate...it is what they do best.
chandne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 17:31   #20
johnwestphal

Reasonable price, lightweight, reliable, simple and safe operating system (no manual/thumb safety, de-cocking lever, etc). Good capacity in most models, interchangeable magazines within caliber, able to convert calibers (i.e .40 to .357, etc), lots of accessory options/holsters, etc. In use by many law enforcement agencies so training from agency to agency and duty to off-duty/BUG carry is familar. Many different caliber choices ie 10mm, .357 etc Great customer service/warranty if ever needed (rare). Damn, I just sold this weapon system to myself again lol
johnwestphal is offline   Reply With Quote