Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-19-2014, 02:35   #1
Dcrosle1

4# striker spring, trigger safety reset & light primer strikes

I recently bought a Ghost Competition Spring set and noticed that after installing the 4# striker spring in my Gen4 g19, the trigger safety would not reset on it's own after pulling the trigger. I also installed an OEM (-) connector, and a Gen3 trigger bar. I liked how light the 4# striker spring made the trigger pull, in addition to installing the other competition springs in the set, but took it out because I've heard that this light of a striker spring can cause light primer strikes unless used with a lighter firing pin. Since this setup is for competition, I'd like to get the lightest trigger possible without compromising reliability.

I've heard that re-installing the stock 5# trigger spring, instead of using the competition 6# trigger spring, will allow for the trigger safety to reset properly when used with the 4# striker spring.

Does anyone have any experience in this?
Dcrosle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 03:41   #2
mtstream

What you're really trying to do is create a barbershop quartet - the four pieces have to sing in harmony or it doesn't sound good.

It sounds like your lighter firing pin spring does not have enough force to create the resistance needed to push trigger bar forward to reset. A lighter trigger spring may fix this by reducing the overall pressure needed to reset the trigger. Where the lighter trigger spring is a risk is if it can't lift the trigger bar all the way up for the firing pin lug to engage with. A partial lift can cause double fires so be cautious when first trying any changes out.
mtstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 05:13   #3
smokey45

I use the extra power firing pin springs in my Glocks. Reliability is more important to me than a couple ounces less trigger pull weight. It doesn't take but a couple of light strikes to lose in a close match. I'm not competitive on that level, but like to finish as well as I can. My production/ssp Glock 35 has a 3#6oz trigger weight, (10 pull average) using the heavier firing pin spring, with no light strikes. If you're shooting action pistol sports, that's about right for most. As you have learned, function problems can occur when your springs are out of balance.
s45
Old 11-19-2014, 05:41   #4
JBP55

I have repeatedly said the 4.0# firing pin and 6.0# trigger spring in a Gen 4 Glock can cause reset issues and Glock owners continue to use them because they come in a kit.
Since it is a range only pistol and you are not going to use a lightweight firing pin try this combination with your OEM Gen 4 trigger bar.
With your - connector try a Wolff 4.5# firing pin spring and leave everything else as it came from Glock. Your trigger pull will be approximately 1# 10oz. lighter that stock and will be reliable unless you use some of the hard European Primers. Purchase several of the 4.5# springs as they will not hold up as long as the OEM spring.
JBP55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 07:44   #5
mboylan

You cannot 100% reliably run a 4# striker spring without a custom striker. You cannot get a really light pull cheaply without having the know how and gunsmithing skill to do so.

A 4# striker spring does take about a pound off of the trigger.

My first suggestion is to buy either a Zev or Jager lightened Glock striker. Both are machined with alot more care than the OEM striker.

My second suggestion is to spend $150-$200 on a Zev or Vanek Custom trigger kit. Both will be at least as reliable as OEM. If you are shooting Production or IDPA, you need to buy the Production legal version. If you want to shoot GSSF, Vanek makes the only legal trigger kit. If you shoot Limited, the sky's the limit and expect to pay dearly for it.

Last edited by mboylan; 11-19-2014 at 07:47..
mboylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 14:21   #6
triggerjerk

My money is on the trigger spring. You need to find one that works.
I put a zev striker spring and trigger spring in 4th gen 17.
I had to install their type r trigger spring to get reliable trigger reset. Their other one would not reset the trigger reliably.
Now, I think they only install one trigger spring.

I have some 3rd gen glocks with lighter striker springs and have never had reset (or any other) issues.

Last edited by triggerjerk; 11-19-2014 at 14:22..
triggerjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 14:28   #7
JBP55

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerjerk View Post
My money is on the trigger spring. You need to find one that works.
I put a zev striker spring and trigger spring in 4th gen 17.
I had to install their type r trigger spring to get reliable trigger reset. Their other one would not reset the trigger reliably.
Now, I think they only install one trigger spring.

I have some 3rd gen glocks with lighter striker springs and have never had reset (or any other) issues.
The weak reset can be the result of a strong trigger spring or a weak firing pin spring or a combination of both.
Old 11-19-2014, 15:02   #8
MajorD

A gun with a ten pound pull that works is useful. One with a four of less pound pull that is not reliable not so much. Accept stock as is for what it is and stop breaking what is working.
MajorD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 15:18   #9
JBP55

The ones that do not work right were not done right.
If done right they are just as reliable as OEM.
Old 11-19-2014, 15:23   #10
cohoskip

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
^^^^^ what he said...
Old 11-19-2014, 15:33   #11
cohoskip

I just returned from the range after installing the competition kit from Glock Works.
4lb striker spring and 6# trigger spring along with the double diamond trigger bar in my G36.
No problems, worked flawlessly...
Old 11-19-2014, 15:39   #12
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Quote:
Old 12-23-2014, 09:04   #13
dbarn

Anyone know a current source for the large Zev Tech or Jager Strikers?
dbarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 10:49   #14
Ryobi
SummertimeRules

I haven't found one that had a problem that couldn't be quickly fixed by returninng to stock parts.
Ryobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 12:34   #15
Glock+2

Quote:
I will 2nd ....uh 3rd oh 4th that.....

Last edited by Glock+2; 12-23-2014 at 12:37..
Glock+2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 13:14   #16
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

If you know what you're doing, they can be alright for plinking. We've had to pull too many aftermarket parts out due to malfunctions for me to be a fan. Just too easy to shoot well with the stock parts. Nothing wrong with chasing your preferences though.