SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-30-2014, 15:29   #1
yocan

Keep reading about gen3/4 interchange abilty

Not really a Glock guy but I like a gun that works so carrying a g19

So I keep reading you can put a gen 3 slide on a gen4. Seems like you can. Any negative affects? If I want to try an rmr on my 19 and have grip how I like it and a spate gen3 just lying around can I rmr the gen 3 slide and put it on the gen 4 frame?

Any long term negatives to this idea?

Safety is a momentary choice. Prior performance and certification are completely irrelevant.
yocan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 17:55   #2
cciman

Yes you can put a Gen3 slide on a Gen4 frame, not the other way around.

The only downside is cosmetic- the front of the Gen3 slide does not fill out the tip of the frame, so you have a smiling cyclops.

Why not just buy a Gen4 and RMR it, and sell the Gen3?

Last edited by cciman; 08-30-2014 at 17:57..
cciman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 21:37   #3
nraman

Quote:
Originally Posted by yocan View Post
Not really a Glock guy but I like a gun that works so carrying a g19

So I keep reading you can put a gen 3 slide on a gen4. Seems like you can. Any negative affects? If I want to try an rmr on my 19 and have grip how I like it and a spate gen3 just lying around can I rmr the gen 3 slide and put it on the gen 4 frame?

Any long term negatives to this idea?

Safety is a momentary choice. Prior performance and certification are completely irrelevant.
Call Glock and ask them.
If they say no, ask them why.
Let us know.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:28   #4
NYresq

Quote:
Originally Posted by nraman View Post
Call Glock and ask them.
If they say no, ask them why.
Let us know.
Glock will also tell you that you cant use a Gen3 trigger bar in a gen4...

No manufacturer is going to ever say its alright to use anything other than the stock factory part... Too much liability..

Lots of forum members have put gen 3 slides on gen 4 frames with no issues or breakage after thousands of rounds.

Experience is something you get right after the moment you needed it...
NYresq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:13   #5
nraman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYresq View Post
Glock will also tell you that you cant use a Gen3 trigger bar in a gen4...

No manufacturer is going to ever say its alright to use anything other than the stock factory part... Too much liability..

Lots of forum members have put gen 3 slides on gen 4 frames with no issues or breakage after thousands of rounds.
They obviously had a reason to modify the Gen 4 trigger bar, what is the reason?
One of the modifications we know that it was done to extend the life of the spring.
Unless we know what they had in mind, we cannot simply dismiss as not important, more so when it is obvious that it works in a different manner now that it has the little bump.
As for the slide, I have already found a difference in the slide/frame interface. Is the difference important? It was to me and decided against using the mismatch. I could be wrong that the difference is important but at the very least I'd try to pick their brains and see if and why they are against it. Who knows, they might even give you a good reason besides liability.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:43   #6
cciman

Here is a discussion on another webforum on those who are convinced that it is not a good idea. Could be the Glock reason, but seems no-one knows it on this Glocktalk forum.
http://www.warriortalk.com/showthrea...n-a-Gen4-frame

Personally, I would Just buy a Gen4, and piece out my gen3.
I don't get the logic of why someone would have the Gen4 frame alone. I've played with it to see that it fits fine, but have never fired it as such.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:12   #7
nraman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cciman View Post
Here is a discussion on another webforum on those who are convinced that it is not a good idea. Could be the Glock reason, but seems no-one knows it on this Glocktalk forum.

I don't get the logic of why someone would have the Gen4 frame alone. I've played with it to see that it fits fine, but have never fired it as such.
If I remember right, we both subscribed to an earlier thread on this forum where I brought up the mismatch between the Gen3 slide and the frame stops of the Gen4 frame.
At the time the members seemed to have made up their mind and didn't want to be confused with facts. The warrior talk thread is excellent, thanks for the link.
I had a Gen3 G20 slide that I planned to use on a Gen4 G21 frame and I examined everything I could including the frame stops and decided to sell the Gen3 slide rather than risk damaging the Gen4 frame.
Old 08-31-2014, 17:03   #8
cciman

MWMMI (money where my mouth is) I did that, BTW. Bought a Gen4 G19, RMR'd and NIB'd it.

I love my gen3 G19, for sentimental reasons, Still have it, plus another OD g19 with NIB slide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cciman View Post