SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-05-2011, 00:51   #361
gary newport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ave8er View Post
Is there a definate answer on the legality of this item for IDPA in SSP and USPSA in production? I am shooting in the IDPA World Championship match in a few weeks and if this part is legal I would like to use one.
In IDPA SSP and, as far as I know, in USPSA Production, internal modifications to "enhance accuracy" are permitted. Since the MGSL is (sort of) visible externally, and doesn't look exactly like the stock part, the situation is ambiguous. I suggest checking with the governing bodies of those sports for a definitive answer.

G17, G17RTF2, G19, G21, G21SF (2), G26, G30, G30SF, G34 (2), G37 (2), G38, G39
gary newport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 15:19   #362
tackstrp

Graham, are you going to have a Benbrook telephone area code phone number? You live in my meighborhood and what you have posted is long distance for me.
Gordon hendon Markum Ranch Estates. Need to get a Not standard sight changed. That DVD you sold me, has paid for itself several times over. Pm me if you wish, Always at home.
tackstrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 17:46   #363
ozy

just installed one of the mgsl on my 19 and it is defenitely a must- have a/m part!

after an inital 100 or so rounds, the groups begun to form tighter and tighter.

can't be happier. 2 more will be installed shortly on my 26 and 34.

thank you ,mr. graham!!!!!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Gen4 17, 19, 34,Gen 3 17L
SIG 226 E/E,229 XTREME,226DARK ELITE, P938,
226XTREME, 229E/E,229ELITE DARK.
ozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:00   #364
shooter1234

Not saying this piece don't work, but where are you guys buying these glocks from, that have such uneven barrel lug contact? Six buddies of mine have glocks, including myself, (for 7 total) and I have been thru every one of them, and not a single one has an uneven contact patch on their slide locks... What are you guys doing to your guns?
shooter1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:29   #365
kylet

I love the mgsl!
It does make a difference....

Try it and you will see

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
kylet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 04:15   #366
bruzer

I must live under a rock. Just saw this thread for the first time. Did not know that little piece could be the reason I was all over the target during practice last night.
Mike
bruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:14   #367
super_chief
GOODfeelin

Gun-Parts & Access.

just installed my MGSL and couldn't be happier. thanks TR Graham

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
super_chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:00   #368
GlockBill

I never posted back about the results with my G23 - it seems to have significantly tightened my groups, so it was worthwhile for me. The transaction with TR went as smooth as possible. Thanks TR!
GlockBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 13:35   #369
JLarsson
Livin' FREE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockBill View Post
I never posted back about the results with my G23 - it seems to have significantly tightened my groups, so it was worthwhile for me. The transaction with TR went as smooth as possible. Thanks TR!
Any details? What Gen G23? What kind of load? What kind of group difference? What distance? What position (rested from bench, offhand, upside down with one eye closed? - lol)?

I've been thinking about getting one of these, but I'm just looking for more specific, quantitative feedback.

One other thing - for the guys who have had these installed for awhile, have you had any evidence of chipping on the barrel lug that engages the groove in the lock? There's a picture running around out there purporting to be damage of this kind, and I'm wondering if it's actually an issue.

He who truly knows has no occasion to shout.
" - Leonardo da Vinci

JLarsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 17:36   #370
Noponer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLarsson View Post
One other thing - for the guys who have had these installed for awhile, have you had any evidence of chipping on the barrel lug that engages the groove in the lock? There's a picture running around out there purporting to be damage of this kind, and I'm wondering if it's actually an issue.
(Edited 1/6/12 to summarize)

I installed an MGSL in a new G26 which now has chipping on the barrel lug. The chipping is not as severe the one referenced above (search the internet for more details & photos), but my gun has less than 100 rounds on it.

I cannot state with absolutely certainty that the MGSL chipped the lug on my G26, but I believe it did. The G26 is a recent Gen3, so it's possible that the lugs are now more brittle, but I doubt that's the problem. I just now examined my other 5 Glocks (with many more rounds than the G26 & a MGSL never installed) & none have chipped lugs.

Last edited by Noponer; 02-06-2012 at 08:48..
Noponer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 21:43   #371
GlockBill

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLarsson View Post
Any details? What Gen G23? What kind of load? What kind of group difference? What distance? What position (rested from bench, offhand, upside down with one eye closed? - lol)?
It was a 3rd gen. G23, 25 ft., offhand with two hands. 180gr. reloads. I didn't do any scientific testing. I don't have a Ransom rest.

I shoot my G23 often enough that I have a good feeling for the typical group size. After the break-in period, I'm confident that my average group size decreased enough that I'd say it's worth the cost. I really didn't have any reason to try to prove the effectiveness of the MGSL to anyone but myself.
GlockBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:36   #372
JLarsson
Livin' FREE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockBill View Post
It was a 3rd gen. G23, 25 ft., offhand with two hands. 180gr. reloads. I didn't do any scientific testing. I don't have a Ransom rest.

I shoot my G23 often enough that I have a good feeling for the typical group size. After the break-in period, I'm confident that my average group size decreased enough that I'd say it's worth the cost. I really didn't have any reason to try to prove the effectiveness of the MGSL to anyone but myself.
Good info. Thanks for clarifying.

" - Leonardo da Vinci

Old 02-06-2012, 09:00   #373
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noponer View Post

I installed an MGSL in a new G26 which now has chipping on the barrel lug. The chipping is not as severe the one referenced above (search the internet for more details & photos), but my gun has less than 100 rounds on it.

I cannot state with absolutely certainty that the MGSL chipped the lug on my G26, but I believe it did. The G26 is a recent Gen3, so it's possible that the lugs are now more brittle, but I doubt that's the problem. I just now examined my other 5 Glocks (with many more rounds than the G26 & a MGSL never installed) & none have chipped lugs.
The material used to make your barrel is MUCH harder than that used to make the slide lock. I highly doubt it was the slide lock that chipped the lug. Have you ever dropped it? I would call Glock an let them know, I'm sure they will replace it. I run the mgsl in all my glock's and have never had 1 issue

Old 02-06-2012, 10:45   #374
JLarsson
Livin' FREE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSU74 View Post
The material used to make your barrel is MUCH harder than that used to make the slide lock. I highly doubt it was the slide lock that chipped the lug. Have you ever dropped it? I would call Glock an let them know, I'm sure they will replace it. I run the mgsl in all my glock's and have never had 1 issue

Have you read this: http://www.blogger-index.com/3785529-green-amp-brass

I would think as you do, that the barrel is harder than the slide lock. I wonder if some barrels are hard to the point of being brittle and that the lug chips when encountering the narrow groove of the MGSL. As you have said according to your own experience, it's not an issue, so I wonder if Glock had some barrels that were a bit brittle.

Maybe a better question would be, has anyone experienced this kind of chipping using the stock lock?

And, I think it's important to note from the link above that the operator had replaced his recoil spring with a 13-lb assembly. Stock Glock is 17#, if I understand correctly.

" - Leonardo da Vinci

Last edited by JLarsson; 02-06-2012 at 11:31.. Reason: Added another thought...
Old 02-06-2012, 15:39   #375
Noponer

Quote:
I agree that the barrel is harder... but, as JLarsson says, hardened metals are also tend to be more brittle. The MGSL is not Tenifer-treated, but it is pretty hard; I just took a file to the one I have & it would not dig into the MGSL as it would into mild steel.

No, I have not dropped the gun or barrel. How in the world would it ever hit the floor, etc, in such an odd place? The chipping is on the barrel side of the ledge, so if dropped on a hard floor, that edge would never hit the floor.

Also see JLarsson's link... that barrel lug is much worse than mine.

My barrel is still functional & I do not want a mis-matched serial number even if Glock will replace it. I do not think it is fair to ask them to since I have used an aftermarket part.

Please take time to check your barrel lugs with a magnifying glass & let us know if you see no damage. The ledge that gets chipped is very small (but very important).

Last edited by Noponer; 02-06-2012 at 16:36..
Old 02-06-2012, 16:14   #376
SCSU74
St. Cloud Proud

Just putting some ideas out there, I really have no idea how it could have got chipped there... In the armorers class they used the slide as a hammer, which is made of the same metal as the barrel an it held up fine. Maybe you did just get a brittle one, who knows. I have 1,600 rds through my 21 and close to 1000 through my 19 both look good to go without any chips.

Old 02-06-2012, 16:53   #377
Noponer

Quote:
Just putting some ideas out there, I really have no idea how it could have got chipped there... In the armorers class they used the slide as a hammer, which is made of the same metal as the barrel an it held up fine. Maybe you did just get a brittle one, who knows. I have 1,600 rds through my 21 and close to 1000 through my 19 both look good to go without any chips.

(Edited 2/14/12 to reflect 18# spring, not 20#... 18# is only 2# heavier than the stock 16# spring.)

Thanks for the reply. I have re-installed the factory slide lock. It will be interesting to see if the chipping continues.

In all fairness to the MGSL, I might add that, of the less-than-100 rounds on the G26, some were Winchester 127gr +p+ loads. Further, some of the time, I had a Wolff 18# recoil spring/rod assembly in the gun. I fail to see that the Wolff spring assembly would do any harm (except that it throws the slide back into the slide lock with more force). On the other hand, the +p+ ammo.... ?????

By all reports, Glocks handle +p+ ammo fine... & I have never heard of any problems with the Wolff setup.

Last edited by Noponer; 02-14-2012 at 13:23..
Old 02-25-2012, 18:17   #378
novasquid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noponer View Post

the mgsl chipped my g29sf barrel as well. i'm 99% convinced it was the mgsl. the barrel was in pristine condition for 400 rounds and then i installed the mgsl. after a dozen or so dry fires, here's how it looks:

see the left side of the barrel in the pic just below the lower arch.
Gun-Parts & Access.

another one:
Gun-Parts & Access.

last one:
Gun-Parts & Access.
novasquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 21:20   #379
super_chief
GOODfeelin

my barrel has chipped also after only installing the MGSL.

The rest of my G23 is stock and I have been shooting the same WWB ammo. I purchased a new barrel and decided it has been a lesson learned

Discovered cleaning after 200 rounds without issue

Gun-Parts & Access.

On my MGSL there is wear marks just below the slit. Therefore, I'd assume the slit is too narrow allowing for it to lock up as intended (as the original slide lock has a large slit/groove)

Last edited by super_chief; 02-25-2012 at 21:23..
super_chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 13:40   #380
SlickGlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by novasquid View Post
the mgsl chipped my g29sf barrel as well. i'm 99% convinced it was the mgsl. the barrel was in pristine condition for 400 rounds and then i installed the mgsl. after a dozen or so dry fires, here's how it looks:

see the left side of the barrel in the pic just below the lower arch.
Gun-Parts & Access.

another one:
Gun-Parts & Access.

last one:
Gun-Parts & Access.
I am getting error message for the image links : "Page not found"...
SlickGlock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mgsl