SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:33   #141
txbonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwalchmai View Post
WCC is good stuff - mil, I think. BHA is fine, too. The R-P is probably just nickle Remington-Peters brass. I don't think they had aluminum back then. Look down into the case. If there's only one charge hole you're good to go. If two, recycle it.

Remember, low pressure cartridges like .38 SPL can be reloaded until the mouths split.

Thanks. I'll take a look. The low pressure thing is what has me thinking about picking up a .45 acp at some point rather than reloading for 9mm and .40 for my G35.
txbonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 07:51   #142
gwalchmai
Lucky Member

Yep, .45 ACP is very forgiving and for many is the first round to reload. Was for me. I should explain about the "two holes", I guess. Many european ammo makers (and Speer, with their aluminum Blazer stuff) use Berdan primers, which require a totally different setup to reload than what most US (Boxer primed) makers use. Berdan primers use two charge holes, so most folks chuck 'em.

Here may be more than you want to know...
gwalchmai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:53   #143
txbonds

Quote:
Yep, .45 ACP is very forgiving and for many is the first round to reload. Was for me. I should explain about the "two holes", I guess. Many european ammo makers (and Speer, with their aluminum Blazer stuff) use Berdan primers, which require a totally different setup to reload than what most US (Boxer primed) makers use. Berdan primers use two charge holes, so most folks chuck 'em.

Here may be more than you want to know...

I think they are single hole cases, but will take a look.

I forgot to mention I also have a handful of blazer brass that is "gold" colored, so I'm assuming it really is the brass stuff and not the alum. Is blazer brass considered okay also?

Thanks again for the feedback.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:10   #144
gwalchmai
Lucky Member

Yep. "brass" Blazer brass should be fine.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:56   #145
txbonds

Quote:
Yep. "brass" Blazer brass should be fine.
Thanks. I only had about 125 of the .38 special cases, so the brand variety is limited.

Now, when I pop open my 9mm cases to start loading some of them, I've got a bin with about 2,000 or more in it I'm guessing, so there will probably be lots of case brand variety in it. LOL

In other words, I'm sure I'll be back with more questions soon.

Thanks again.
Old 02-07-2009, 21:23   #146
byf43
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helms View Post
heh... I suppose it depends on how hot we are talking, but if it were ME, and you are shooting this out of a glock with the unsupported chamber, I would use new brass for some he-man loads.

The common response is that federal brass is junk. I use a few, but try to toss most of them out. They were redesigned at one point to make them a little more "burst proof" at the webbing, so they in theory should be OK with the newer stuff, but I just dont trust them. I have also seen some nastily bulged out rem. and win. brass. I would say if it were up to me, I guess speer. That seems to look a tad stronger just from looking at fired brass. I use my .40 less than other brass, with about 3 reloads or so before I toss them. I think the constant expansion on the brass from the "glock bulge" and resizing process weakens it a bit. Perhaps I am paranoid, but I really dont want to KB my glock if I can keep from it.
In all my years of reloading, I've used a LOT of Federal brass and really have good results using it.
Now, to be honest, I have just started loading .40 S&W.
I was given two bags (2,000+ pieces) of .40 S&W from a local police department's training division. (All the brass is now once-fired.)
The vast majority is Federal. Some Winchester, but mostly Federal.

Somebody, please explain why Federal is 'bad'.

I've used Starline ONCE. The Starline that I used (.45 acp) was total crap!

Also, Magtech brass (9mm) is terrible.
A friend bought some once fired 9mm and the primers came apart while sizing/de-priming, and we had to remove the 'ring' of the primer with a tiny screwdriver, after a new primer ignited while seating.
Avoid Magtech, like it has the plague.

"Live Free. Practice democracy. Make a difference. Love your family and your country." H.N.K. (My Dad) 09/02/1924 - 05/11/2012
byf43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:11   #147
CTSixshot

FWIW: Information on American Ammunition, Inc (AAMU-OTC Pink Sheets):
American Ammunition, Inc., through its subsidiaries, engages in the design, manufacture, and sale of small arms ammunition for the wholesale and governmental markets. It also operates an electrochemical metallization facility for processing its line of projectiles, as well as other products and services. The company was founded in 1983 and is based in Miami, Florida. On September 23, 2008, American Ammunition, Inc along with its affiliate Industrial Plating Enterprise Co filed a voluntary petition for reorganization under Chapter 11 in the US Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Florida, Miami. ( http://finance.yahoo.com/q/pr?s=AAMU.PK )
A-MERC website: http://www.a-merc.com/ Seems to me they made frangible ammo for inside of aircraft use etc. I recall a video from their website at one time. Most of their news releases had to do with contracts for 5.56 mostly to Central and South American countries, as I recollect. I don't follow this company much these days.

I've reloaded their .45 ACP, but I will attest to sloppy primer pockets and off-center flash holes.

Last edited by CTSixshot; 02-08-2009 at 11:23..
CTSixshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:32   #148
CTSixshot

Jay Hansen, whom I know personally, is one of the major importers of 'NNY' (Prvi Partizan) ammunition. He travels regularly to eastern Europe and brings back container units of product...not in his carry-on, of course.

Hansen Cartridge Co. packaged ammo is usually Igman (IK) or perhaps PPU (Prvi Partizan). Don't quote me on the exact contents, but it's his own label on the package. The last box of HCC fodder I saw was .308 Win 180 gr SP 'Posi-Feed'. It was Igman, (IK Igman Zavod, Konjic, Yugoslavia)

Similarly, he used to package ammo under the name Connecticut Cartridge Co. (CCC). This brand may have been discontinued; I'll have to ask him.

He and his partner, Tom, own 'Hansen & Hansen Arms & Antiques' in Southport, CT
http://hansenguns.com/ I"ll throw this in for free... there is a fella (Dick) at Hansen's that comes in mostly on Thursdays. He is quite knowledgable on cartridges, headstamps, Remington history etc. If you have questions regarding Peters, RA, R-P, REM-UMC, etc., he'd probably know the answer. (He may not appreciate me telling you to barrage him with calls though!) Remember, the old Remington ammo plant is just up the road in Bridgeport. Hansens is also about a stones' throw from Lacey Place, the HQ of Sturm Ruger.

Last edited by CTSixshot; 02-08-2009 at 11:38..
Old 02-08-2009, 08:44   #149
CTSixshot

Reloading The Igman headstamp (i) with 6.5x55SE (6.5x55 Swedish) packaged in the Igman red and grey box and also as 'HOTSHOT' (distributed by: Century International Arms, Inc.) has a distinguishable red sealant around the primer. They have very small flash holes that pull the pin from my decapper punch. Once decapped and drilled slightly larger, the brass is good to go for reloads.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:01   #150
CTSixshot

Winchester Non-Toxic and I think I've come across Federal Non-Toxic, too:

"WIN NT 45 AUTO" Segregate from large primer cases. Use small pistol primers and they work fine. Same with federal; don't have a Federal NT case handy.

Be careful with 45 GAP cases in the mix, too. Small primers!

One more observation on "WINCHESTER 45 AUTO" cases. I've come across many of these that have oversized flash holes...I'm talking 0.125" diameter! They work fine, but I don't know what lot number they are nor what they were produced for. I doubt they were someones "X-Ring" project since I've got several hundred of them.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:22   #151
CTSixshot

Okay! I'll quit after this post... SHOOTING TIMES May 2008

Practical Reloading by Lane Peace...
"Steel-Cased Reloads, Cracks and Fireforming Wildcat Cases" pg.10

This is not a recomendation to do it, but I have reloaded Wolf steel 45 ACP many times (same with steel-cased 7.62x39, 8mm etc). I can't vouch for higher pressure rounds such as 9mm and 40 S&W, but I find the steel cases do work well, especially the polymer-coated ones vs. the lacquered variety. Be mindful of potential workhardening issues and possible wear on your dies (none found to date). I must have reloaded these cases a half dozen times or more.

And do pass on those Wolf cases that are heavily rusted! You needn't reload every case on the ground!

Berdan-primed rifle cases: If you can find berdan primers, you can salvage many of the berdan-primed cases and reload them. I won't attempt to list the good, bad and ugly at this time, except...

Swiss 7.5x55 GP-11 Standard fodder for the K31 offered from Grafs, CTD, SG, etc:
Excellent brass, decaps easily with water and .30 cal punch (w/o pin).
The headstamps on GP11 rounds can be read as thus; The numbers at the top and bottom of the case represents the month and year of manufacture, respectively. The letter to the left of the headstamp represents where the case was manufactured, while the letter to the right represent the finally assembly point of the cartridge. Letters used include D=Dornach, A=Altdorf, and T=Thun from http://www.swissrifles.com/ammo/#7.5

Wolf steel decaps readily with the above process, too. You may use a bread wrapper (plastic bag) to help seal loose fits or neck-size if you want to bother. Some may figure why bother for the price etc...me, too! But, it can be done, that's all.

RCBS has a decapping tool for berdan primers, but I don't find it to be 100%. Assuming you have a source for berdan primers, you have many more brass sources available to you. Some of the stuff just doesn't decap easily and maybe hard to f-l resize, so scrap that stuff. You should be able to get 80% recovery, so that makes it a go in my book.

Oh...I'll gladly scoff up that GP11 brass, guys!

Last edited by CTSixshot; 02-08-2009 at 11:26..
Old 02-08-2009, 10:34   #152
VN350X10

The Win brass (.45 ACP) with the large flash holes is some of the earlier lead free primer brass. It can be used for any normal .45 ACP loads, but is not recomended for a "+P" loading.
All normal data works well in these cases & I have personally loaded several thousands of them for bullseye & USPSA loads with excellent results. It's not even really necessary to seggregate them from normal brass with a standard size flash hole, as given the low operating pressures of the .45ACP, it doesn't make a lot of difference in velocity.

uncle albert
VN350X10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:12   #153
CTSixshot

Thanks VN350X10 !

I knew it was some sort of production run, but wasn't sure what it was exactly.

...and...speaking of 45 ACP +P, where do you find most of your load data on that? Or do you use a general rule, like x% more than the listed maximum for 45ACP? Not that I'm really concerned with loading +P, but I just don't usually see published load data.

Last edited by CTSixshot; 02-08-2009 at 11:29..
Old 02-08-2009, 12:09   #154
VN350X10

CTSixshot,
I really don't do much with +P .45ACP, except an occasional run of 185 JHPT for bowling pins !

My 2 favorite calibers are .44 Magnum & 10MM, so I don't have much need for the 45"extra". I only do it because the range that we shoot pins at has a rule for the pin shoots, no magnums & no 10MM.(a properly loaded 10MM is on the lower end of .41 Mag ballistics !)
I don't remember my exact pin load, as I load them about once a year, I make large runs of ammo. But it's BlueDot & pushing the Rem 185 JHPT right around 1150 fps from my comped/optic Springfield 1911. Takes a pin off the table clean !

uncle albert
NRA Endowment Member, NRA Certified Instructor for Rifle & Pistol, Illinois State Rifle Assn. - Life Member, GSSF Life Member,N.R.O.I. level I, IL Glockers #34
G: 19,20(x2),21,22,23(x2),24,27,29,34,35 & 36 (still counting)
USPSA, IDPA,
Old 02-08-2009, 18:43   #155
CTSixshot

VN350X10

Roger that! I'd better not reply after this, since I'm off the topic of this thread.
I don't recall any clubs here in CT restricting calibers as to pin shoots; is that to keep from busting the pins up too much, or due to ricochet potential? One club does pin shoots with rifle, but limits it to pistol-caliber carbines in winter in order to spare (sorry!) the pins a bit.

Out!
Old 02-08-2009, 20:35   #156
VN350X10

Not to worry about the off-topic, happens all the time here !

Yeah, we've gone to a .22RF only format this year.
The bowling alley that used to give us the pins now wants to charge for them.
They have to pay disposal on them if we don't take them, but the new owner of the alley is a cheap _________ !
So the .22's are a LOT easier on them, as I haven't figured out how to load my own .22 RF. (YET !)

I really like using my .44 AutoMag, but not many places have anything goes pin shoots nearby.

uncle albert
Old 02-16-2009, 11:01   #157
mjk

What about Frontier brass? A quick search says it was Hornady way back when.
I have one 45 acp that says FC Match 62. Is this Federal from 1962?
mjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:35   #158
gwalchmai
Lucky Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk View Post
What about Frontier brass? A quick search says it was Hornady way back when.
I have one 45 acp that says FC Match 62. Is this Federal from 1962?
yep. FC is military made by Federal Cartridge. Commercial says Federal.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:54   #159
Rickenbacker53

Hey Guys how do you know what the brass manufacturer was say on 3d blue bullets ..I am assuming Magtech bullets uses Magtech brass..But over-all how do you know..there's nothing I can see on the brass of a factory round. I have shot 1000's of factory loaded rounds of 45 and 40 in my back yard ..I always saved the brass so like for 40 smith I have 2 5Gallon pails full..All different types..Back than I was shooting whatever the gunshop had the best price on. Can I assume if the factory thought it was ok it is??
Rickenbacker53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:58   #160
gwalchmai
Lucky Member

IIRC, 3D brass is just marked 3D, or maybe 3-D.

Magtech brass has a CBC headstamp - Compania Brasillia Cartouches (rough translation).