GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-26-2008, 22:00   #101
VN350X10

Good to hear a report on the PPU brass, not much of it shows up here in the Midwest.
Will file this good news for reference.

uncle albert
VN350X10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 22:02   #102
BullsEye10X
Semper Fidelis

I'll let everyone know more after I shoot it
Old 05-26-2008, 22:04   #103
VN350X10

appreciate it !

uncle albert
Old 05-27-2008, 14:14   #104
MustangGreg66

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-glock View Post
Agree completely about AMERC - total junk.

++++++++++++++++

I tried reloading them after that and found they worked O.K.. I made up a few hundred to use at ranges where I couldn't recover the cases. I don't use them now as I have all the brass pickups I need. I do occasionally save .45 Wolf if I find a bunch of fresh ones with no rust. I tumble them and store them for a "rainy day" when brass cases may be difficult to get. (Another advantage of steel cases is that they're easy to recover with a magnet.)
hmm, I've always thought how cool it would be if I could use a magnet to pick up my brass, even thought about steel primers or something like that (but that would never work) Anyway, I never thought to try to reload the wolf steel cases (because I've never shot any), it seems like they would be perfect for places where it would be difficult to recover brass, simply because you could use a magnet to pick them up.

I go shooting out on some BLM land and our favorite burm over the last couple years has been overrun by thistle weeds that are no more than ancle to shin high. Usually we just shoot and don't worry about the brass for fear of getting stuck so much, but since I've started to reload so much lately, it almost hurts to throw away good brass like that. Steel cases would be great in this instance, just use a long magnet on a stick to recover them... I might have to reconsider wolf ammo at the next gunshow... Then again, I get a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach about putting more ware on my gun shooting these.
MustangGreg66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 15:13   #105
Jeff82
CLM Number 237
NRA Benefactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangGreg66 View Post
just use a long magnet on a stick to recover them...
Make it a battery powered electro-magnet with a thumb switch...

"A Republic, if you can keep it." B. Franklin, 1787, outside Independence Hall

There's not "good" or "bad" muslims, only those true to their book and those that aren't, yet...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Jeff82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 13:53   #106
BullsEye10X
Semper Fidelis

I just got back from the range and tried out my first batches of home-made .38's. They all worked great! No issues at all with the PPU brass; I'll be loading them up again as soon as they come out of the tumbler.

Incidentally, I measured the case wall thickness of these (and several others) when I was having problems sizing older R-P stuff. The PPU casings were actually the thickest at ~ .011, whereas the R-P was .009 or less. So I'd think they will stand up to hot loads just fine.

Last edited by BullsEye10X; 06-06-2008 at 13:57..
BullsEye10X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 17:38   #107
deadite
Groovy.

So far, because of CAS, I've only loaded 45 Colt and 38 Special, so take my word with a grain of salt.

I have a handfull of 45 Colt brass from Buffalo Bore. It says something like,"Buffalo Bore Heavy 45 Colt" on the headstamp. I wish I had a thousand cases to load of that brass. It seems to me like the brass is thicker and stronger than any other 45 Colt brass I've used. I feel like I could reload those cases a zillion times and have no problems.

For some reason, the primer pockets in PMC brass seem easier to clean with that little Lee Primer Pocket cleaner tool than other brands.

Question, are some primer pockets concave at the bottom? The little Lee Primer Pocket cleaning tool, I mentioned earlier, has a flat cleaning surface and sometimes it fails to get stuff near the flash hole. That makes me believe that some pockets are concave down there.

deadite
Old 06-10-2008, 20:25   #108
VN350X10

It depends on the brass. Most primer pockets & flash holes are done in a stamping/punching operation.
If you ever need rifle brass, use Laupua & you'll be spoiled for life. They drill the flash holes & the primer pockets are CNC machined !

uncle albert
Old 06-10-2008, 20:45   #109
deadite
Groovy.

Neat!

deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by VN350X10 View Post
It depends on the brass. Most primer pockets & flash holes are done in a stamping/punching operation.
If you ever need rifle brass, use Laupua & you'll be spoiled for life. They drill the flash holes & the primer pockets are CNC machined !

uncle albert
Old 06-19-2008, 02:34   #110
Land G19
Smartass

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangGreg66 View Post
hmm, I've always thought how cool it would be if I could use a magnet to pick up my brass, even thought about steel primers or something like that (but that would never work) Anyway, I never thought to try to reload the wolf steel cases (because I've never shot any), it seems like they would be perfect for places where it would be difficult to recover brass, simply because you could use a magnet to pick them up.

I go shooting out on some BLM land and our favorite burm over the last couple years has been overrun by thistle weeds that are no more than ancle to shin high. Usually we just shoot and don't worry about the brass for fear of getting stuck so much, but since I've started to reload so much lately, it almost hurts to throw away good brass like that. Steel cases would be great in this instance, just use a long magnet on a stick to recover them... I might have to reconsider wolf ammo at the next gunshow... Then again, I get a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach about putting more ware on my gun shooting these.
I have a cow pasture with a nice tall 20' berm I shoot into. I just get a big blue tarp, and weight the corners down with rocks or something and then place one rock in teh middle to push it through the tall grass and it helps funnel all the brass to the middle of the tarp as well.

When im done shooting I just gather up the brass on the tarp and call it a day. But you will have to figure out where your guns throw most of the brass in order to get the tarp in the best place.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Land G19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:11   #111
hyper-glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land G19 View Post
I have a cow pasture with a nice tall 20' berm I shoot into. I just get a big blue tarp, and weight the corners down with rocks or something and then place one rock in teh middle to push it through the tall grass and it helps funnel all the brass to the middle of the tarp as well.

When im done shooting I just gather up the brass on the tarp and call it a day. But you will have to figure out where your guns throw most of the brass in order to get the tarp in the best place.
Since the steel cases are not in demand by reloaders and have no significant scrap metal value, they're pretty easy to find (and even to pick up w/ a magnet) after the original owner shot them. So why bother even looking for them if you're shooting somewhere cases are hard to recover? I pick the steel cases up when they're easy to get and keep a supply handy. I have 100-200 reloaded for the occasional times they'll be hard to recover. If it's a place they're hard to recover, I just leave them with no regrets. I really don't want to reload them very often anyway.
1911, 1 Niner, Big Dawg, Black Rifle, Kalishnikov, Milsurp, Rimfire & Sub Clubs #622
hyper-glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 15:23   #112
Land G19
Smartass

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-glock View Post
Since the steel cases are not in demand by reloaders and have no significant scrap metal value, they're pretty easy to find (and even to pick up w/ a magnet) after the original owner shot them. So why bother even looking for them if you're shooting somewhere cases are hard to recover? I pick the steel cases up when they're easy to get and keep a supply handy. I have 100-200 reloaded for the occasional times they'll be hard to recover. If it's a place they're hard to recover, I just leave them with no regrets. I really don't want to reload them very often anyway.
I dont worry about the steel cases from my AK or M38 either. I was referring to the brass cases. Some times I like to get in some pistol practice as well and that brass gets found.
Land G19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 10:14   #113
Beware Owner
NOT a victim.

Wolf Ammunition brass?

Beware Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 14:41   #114
gary newport

Last Friday, I was cranking out .45 ACP loads on my Dillon when one case felt very strange in the powder die. I removed it from the press and checked the headstamp -- Amerc!

I sorted out about 10 of these things from my bin of cleaned brass.

How bad is Armscor .45 ACP brass? I've got a baggie of perhaps 250 virgin cases I claimed from a shooting league prize table.

G17, G17RTF2, G19, G21, G21SF (2), G26, G30, G30SF, G34 (2), G37 (2), G38, G39
gary newport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 20:07   #115
VN350X10

Gary,
Armscor is usable, I've gotten 4 or 5 loadings out of it to test.

A-Merc is without a doubt the WORST mfgr. to try & reload.
It's made as a loss-leader type ammo, for mass merchandising sales, such as "Cheaper Than Dirt" and others.
The resultant quality shows !

uncle albert
Old 06-23-2008, 20:17   #116
M4inCA
pho_kit_all

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirreld View Post
Yer the only one tout'n CCI and I would like others input on it.
Good/bad?
LOVE CCI...

I load CCI/*I*/Speer as my IDPA brass with GREAT results. Consistant across the board, EZ fit primer pockets. Smooth as butter on my 650.

-Plato
M4inCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 11:48   #117
Papucho

Ive just ran into 500 units of brass marked with five stars *****. Has anybody used them? What brand are they? Thanks.
"Big Dawg" # 1568
Papucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 16:53   #118
VN350X10

Is there any other marking on the headstamp ?
I don't show any reference to brass with a 5-star marking.

uncle albert
NRA Endowment Member, NRA Certified Instructor for Rifle & Pistol, Illinois State Rifle Assn. - Life Member, GSSF Life Member,N.R.O.I. level I, IL Glockers #34
G: 19,20(x2),21,22,23(x2),24,27,29,34,35 & 36 (still counting)
USPSA, IDPA,
Old 06-29-2008, 17:28   #119
Papucho

Here is a pic of the brass.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0629_165742.jpg
Views:	751
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	152829
"Big Dawg" # 1568
Papucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 21:19   #120
Jeff82
CLM Number 237
NRA Benefactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papucho View Post
Here is a pic of the brass.

Attachment 152829
Who ever it was, looks like their firing pin is dragging...

"A Republic, if you can keep it." B. Franklin, 1787, outside Independence Hall

There's not "good" or "bad" muslims, only those true to their book and those that aren't, yet...
Jeff82 is offline   Reply With Quote