SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:16   #126
380Seecamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff82 View Post
I'm having trouble reloading my .32-.380 brass...

I think I see your problem . . .

Reloading

You've done the conversion backward; 'sposed to neck down the .380 to .32, not the other way around.

380Seecamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 09:34   #127
VN350X10

Might be easier to reload if the bullet was big enough to hold without using tweezers....

uncle albert
VN350X10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 12:22   #128
380Seecamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff82 View Post
I'm having trouble reloading my .32-.380 brass...

Here's the correct ammo for your .32-380:

Reloading

I had a "Homer Simpson" moment after reading your post, and came up with this .32-380 Auto Wildcat Cartridge.

Old 11-23-2008, 18:31   #129
Jeff82
CLM Number 237
NRA Benefactor

Now THAT is great followup!!

"A Republic, if you can keep it." B. Franklin, 1787, outside Independence Hall

There's not "good" or "bad" muslims, only those true to their book and those that aren't, yet...
Jeff82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 22:08   #130
Beware Owner
NOT a victim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 380Seecamp View Post

Here's the correct ammo for your .32-380:

Reloading

I had a "Homer Simpson" moment after reading your post, and came up with this .32-380 Auto Wildcat Cartridge.

You are wrong in so many ways!!!
Homegrown Terrorism
Beware Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 22:10   #131
VN350X10

Bet the headspace is tight !
VN350X10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 23:45   #132
JML2365

I got received a couple handfulls of NNY, NPA and CBC brass mixed in a lot of 2500 9mm casings I recently bought. I tried to reload them for "lost brass matches" and I gave up and tossed them. The primers were really tight and some of them would not go in. I am loading with a Dillon SQB with Remington primers.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:16   #133
380Seecamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by JML2365 View Post
I got received a couple handfulls of NNY, NPA and CBC brass mixed in a lot of 2500 9mm casings I recently bought. I tried to reload them for "lost brass matches" and I gave up and tossed them. The primers were really tight and some of them would not go in. I am loading with a Dillon SQB with Remington primers.

The Hansen (nny) brass in 9mm (late 1980s manufacture) has a small flash hole that has pulled the decapping pin out of my RCBS Rock Chucker press more than once. While the quality of the brass appears to be good otherwise, I don't reload this brand any more.

I have one other case in 9mm headstamped "RA 68" that had a small flash hole and stole my deprimer out of the press; don't have a large quantity of this stuff to tell whether this one was a fluke or not. It appears to have a military crimp on the primer pocket as well.

Never had a problem with Magtech (CBC) brass; in fact, I gave all I had in .45 Auto to a friend when he got started reloading. This brand is common at one of the ranges I visit (when I'm not shooting at my own gun club). I've bought 5 gallon buckets of mixed brass from them in the past, so I've used a bit of CBC brass over the years without problem.

I found this web site interesting with regard to headstamp codes:

http://www.cartridgecollectors.org/headstampcodes.htm
Old 12-04-2008, 07:57   #134
Charly

I am also a fan of CBC brass (Magtech) which I am using in priority to the rest I have in 9mm
Niner's #18
G1 Niner #51
Big Dawg#628
Wheelhouse member #129
Rimfire #34
Charly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 23:54   #135
JML2365

I had one of the primers not want to go in the CBC brass and I had already gotten frustrated so to say with the other brands and I only had 5 or 6 CBC cases I just chucked them. In all I chucked about 15 cases total.
Old 12-16-2008, 20:25   #136
novaDAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by alank2 View Post
Winchester (Winchester, WIN, WCC?)
WCC actually stands for Western Cartridge Company, which is also found on military brass.

Winchester also can have a "W-W" headstamp, which stands for "winchester - Western" since winchester bought out western ammo.

I have some "peters" brass which I assume is old, because that is what the "P" stands for in remington's current "R-P" headstamp.
novaDAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 20:53   #137
Beware Owner
NOT a victim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 380Seecamp View Post
The Hansen (nny) brass in 9mm (late 1980s manufacture) has a small flash hole that has pulled the decapping pin out of my RCBS Rock Chucker press more than once. While the quality of the brass appears to be good otherwise, I don't reload this brand any more.

I have one other case in 9mm headstamped "RA 68" that had a small flash hole and stole my deprimer out of the press; don't have a large quantity of this stuff to tell whether this one was a fluke or not. It appears to have a military crimp on the primer pocket as well.
All my Remington brass in .357 Sig pull out my decapping pin. They're marked R-P.
Homegrown Terrorism
Beware Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 22:30   #138
whenmonkeysfly
CLM Number 249
Charter Lifetime Member

Lapua also seems to be excellent brass! (Limited pistol brass).

Last edited by whenmonkeysfly; 01-09-2009 at 22:39..
whenmonkeysfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 04:34   #139
txbonds

Just went though a box of .38 special brass during depriming/sizing and have a mixture of winchester, wcc and bha.

If the wcc is western cartridge and the bha is black hills, are these two considered to be in the good or bad category? I gathered the winchester was good from posts above, but didn't see anything on black hills and noticed someone pointed out wcc was western and not winchester.

Also, I've got some silver cartridges stamped R-P but they are at least 20 years old or more I'm guessing as they were my grandfathers. I shot the rounds the other day at the range and picked them up, but can't tell the material. They are lighter than the other brass. Best to avoid these and pitch in the recycle bin?
txbonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 05:13   #140
gwalchmai
Lucky Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbonds View Post
Just went though a box of .38 special brass during depriming/sizing and have a mixture of winchester, wcc and bha.

If the wcc is western cartridge and the bha is black hills, are these two considered to be in the good or bad category? I gathered the winchester was good from posts above, but didn't see anything on black hills and noticed someone pointed out wcc was western and not winchester.

Also, I've got some silver cartridges stamped R-P but they are at least 20 years old or more I'm guessing as they were my grandfathers. I shot the rounds the other day at the range and picked them up, but can't tell the material. They are lighter than the other brass. Best to avoid these and pitch in the recycle bin?
WCC is good stuff - mil, I think. BHA is fine, too. The R-P is probably just nickle Remington-Peters brass. I don't think they had aluminum back then. Look down into the case. If there's only one charge hole you're good to go. If two, recycle it.

Remember, low pressure cartridges like .38 SPL can be reloaded until the mouths split.
gwalchmai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 06:33   #141
txbonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwalchmai View Post
WCC is good stuff - mil, I think. BHA is fine, too. The R-P is probably just nickle Remington-Peters brass. I don't think they had aluminum back then. Look down into the case. If there's only one charge hole you're good to go. If two, recycle it.

Remember, low pressure cartridges like .38 SPL can be reloaded until the mouths split.

Thanks. I'll take a look. The low pressure thing is what has me thinking about picking up a .45 acp at some point rather than reloading for 9mm and .40 for my G35.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:51   #142
gwalchmai
Lucky Member

Yep, .45 ACP is very forgiving and for many is the first round to reload. Was for me. I should explain about the "two holes", I guess. Many european ammo makers (and Speer, with their aluminum Blazer stuff) use Berdan primers, which require a totally different setup to reload than what most US (Boxer primed) makers use. Berdan primers use two charge holes, so most folks chuck 'em.

Here may be more than you want to know...
Old 01-16-2009, 07:53   #143
txbonds

Quote:
Yep, .45 ACP is very forgiving and for many is the first round to reload. Was for me. I should explain about the "two holes", I guess. Many european ammo makers (and Speer, with their aluminum Blazer stuff) use Berdan primers, which require a totally different setup to reload than what most US (Boxer primed) makers use. Berdan primers use two charge holes, so most folks chuck 'em.

Here may be more than you want to know...

I think they are single hole cases, but will take a look.

I forgot to mention I also have a handful of blazer brass that is "gold" colored, so I'm assuming it really is the brass stuff and not the alum. Is blazer brass considered okay also?

Thanks again for the feedback.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:10   #144
gwalchmai
Lucky Member

Yep. "brass" Blazer brass should be fine.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:56   #145
txbonds

Quote:
Yep. "brass" Blazer brass should be fine.
Thanks. I only had about 125 of the .38 special cases, so the brand variety is limited.

Now, when I pop open my 9mm cases to start loading some of them, I've got a bin with about 2,000 or more in it I'm guessing, so there will probably be lots of case brand variety in it. LOL

In other words, I'm sure I'll be back with more questions soon.

Thanks again.
Old 02-07-2009, 20:23   #146
byf43
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helms View Post
heh... I suppose it depends on how hot we are talking, but if it were ME, and you are shooting this out of a glock with the unsupported chamber, I would use new brass for some he-man loads.

The common response is that federal brass is junk. I use a few, but try to toss most of them out. They were redesigned at one point to make them a little more "burst proof" at the webbing, so they in theory should be OK with the newer stuff, but I just dont trust them. I have also seen some nastily bulged out rem. and win. brass. I would say if it were up to me, I guess speer. That seems to look a tad stronger just from looking at fired brass. I use my .40 less than other brass, with about 3 reloads or so before I toss them. I think the constant expansion on the brass from the "glock bulge" and resizing process weakens it a bit. Perhaps I am paranoid, but I really dont want to KB my glock if I can keep from it.
In all my years of reloading, I've used a LOT of Federal brass and really have good results using it.
Now, to be honest, I have just started loading .40 S&W.
I was given two bags (2,000+ pieces) of .40 S&W from a local police department's training division. (All the brass is now once-fired.)
The vast majority is Federal. Some Winchester, but mostly Federal.

Somebody, please explain why Federal is 'bad'.

I've used Starline ONCE. The Starline that I used (.45 acp) was total crap!

Also, Magtech brass (9mm) is terrible.
A friend bought some once fired 9mm and the primers came apart while sizing/de-priming, and we had to remove the 'ring' of the primer with a tiny screwdriver, after a new primer ignited while seating.
Avoid Magtech, like it has the plague.

"Live Free. Practice democracy. Make a difference. Love your family and your country." H.N.K. (My Dad) 09/02/1924 - 05/11/2012
byf43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 07:11   #147
CTSixshot

FWIW: Information on American Ammunition, Inc (AAMU-OTC Pink Sheets):
American Ammunition, Inc., through its subsidiaries, engages in the design, manufacture, and sale of small arms ammunition for the wholesale and governmental markets. It also operates an electrochemical metallization facility for processing its line of projectiles, as well as other products and services. The company was founded in 1983 and is based in Miami, Florida. On September 23, 2008, American Ammunition, Inc along with its affiliate Industrial Plating Enterprise Co filed a voluntary petition for reorganization under Chapter 11 in the US Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Florida, Miami. ( http://finance.yahoo.com/q/pr?s=AAMU.PK )
A-MERC website: http://www.a-merc.com/ Seems to me they made frangible ammo for inside of aircraft use etc. I recall a video from their website at one time. Most of their news releases had to do with contracts for 5.56 mostly to Central and South American countries, as I recollect. I don't follow this company much these days.

I've reloaded their .45 ACP, but I will attest to sloppy primer pockets and off-center flash holes.

Last edited by CTSixshot; 02-08-2009 at 10:23..
CTSixshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 07:32   #148
CTSixshot

Jay Hansen, whom I know personally, is one of the major importers of 'NNY' (Prvi Partizan) ammunition. He travels regularly to eastern Europe and brings back container units of product...not in his carry-on, of course.

Hansen Cartridge Co. packaged ammo is usually Igman (IK) or perhaps PPU (Prvi Partizan). Don't quote me on the exact contents, but it's his own label on the package. The last box of HCC fodder I saw was .308 Win 180 gr SP 'Posi-Feed'. It was Igman, (IK Igman Zavod, Konjic, Yugoslavia)

Similarly, he used to package ammo under the name Connecticut Cartridge Co. (CCC). This brand may have been discontinued; I'll have to ask him.

He and his partner, Tom, own 'Hansen & Hansen Arms & Antiques' in Southport, CT
http://hansenguns.com/ I"ll throw this in for free... there is a fella (Dick) at Hansen's that comes in mostly on Thursdays. He is quite knowledgable on cartridges, headstamps, Remington history etc. If you have questions regarding Peters, RA, R-P, REM-UMC, etc., he'd probably know the answer. (He may not appreciate me telling you to barrage him with calls though!) Remember, the old Remington ammo plant is just up the road in Bridgeport. Hansens is also about a stones' throw from Lacey Place, the HQ of Sturm Ruger.

Last edited by CTSixshot; 02-08-2009 at 10:38..
Old 02-08-2009, 07:44   #149
CTSixshot

Reloading The Igman headstamp (i) with 6.5x55SE (6.5x55 Swedish) packaged in the Igman red and grey box and also as 'HOTSHOT' (distributed by: Century International Arms, Inc.) has a distinguishable red sealant around the primer. They have very small flash holes that pull the pin from my decapper punch. Once decapped and drilled slightly larger, the brass is good to go for reloads.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:01   #150
CTSixshot

Winchester Non-Toxic and I think I've come across Federal Non-Toxic, too:

"WIN NT 45 AUTO" Segregate from large primer cases. Use small pistol primers and they work fine. Same with federal; don't have a Federal NT case handy.

Be careful with 45 GAP cases in the mix, too. Small primers!

One more observation on "WINCHESTER 45 AUTO" cases. I've come across many of these that have oversized flash holes...I'm talking 0.125" diameter! They work fine, but I don't know what lot number they are nor what they were produced for. I doubt they were someones "X-Ring" project since I've got several hundred of them.