GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2008, 22:00   #101
VN350X10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: McHenry, IL
Posts: 8,039
Good to hear a report on the PPU brass, not much of it shows up here in the Midwest.
Will file this good news for reference.

uncle albert
VN350X10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 22:02   #102
BullsEye10X
Semper Fidelis
 
BullsEye10X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,136
I'll let everyone know more after I shoot it
__________________
If I am absent, and you find yourself in need of orders, go find something and kill it!
BullsEye10X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 22:04   #103
VN350X10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: McHenry, IL
Posts: 8,039
appreciate it !

uncle albert
VN350X10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 14:14   #104
MustangGreg66
Senior Member
 
MustangGreg66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-glock View Post
Agree completely about AMERC - total junk.

++++++++++++++++

...

I tried reloading them after that and found they worked O.K.. I made up a few hundred to use at ranges where I couldn't recover the cases. I don't use them now as I have all the brass pickups I need. I do occasionally save .45 Wolf if I find a bunch of fresh ones with no rust. I tumble them and store them for a "rainy day" when brass cases may be difficult to get. (Another advantage of steel cases is that they're easy to recover with a magnet.)
hmm, I've always thought how cool it would be if I could use a magnet to pick up my brass, even thought about steel primers or something like that (but that would never work) Anyway, I never thought to try to reload the wolf steel cases (because I've never shot any), it seems like they would be perfect for places where it would be difficult to recover brass, simply because you could use a magnet to pick them up.

I go shooting out on some BLM land and our favorite burm over the last couple years has been overrun by thistle weeds that are no more than ancle to shin high. Usually we just shoot and don't worry about the brass for fear of getting stuck so much, but since I've started to reload so much lately, it almost hurts to throw away good brass like that. Steel cases would be great in this instance, just use a long magnet on a stick to recover them... I might have to reconsider wolf ammo at the next gunshow... Then again, I get a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach about putting more ware on my gun shooting these.
MustangGreg66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 15:13   #105
Jeff82
CLM Number 237
NRA Benefactor
 
Jeff82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: USofA!
Posts: 6,057


Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangGreg66 View Post
just use a long magnet on a stick to recover them...
Make it a battery powered electro-magnet with a thumb switch...
__________________
MOΛΩN ΛABE!

"A Republic, if you can keep it." B. Franklin, 1787, outside Independence Hall

There's not "good" or "bad" muslims, only those true to their book and those that aren't, yet...
Jeff82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 13:53   #106
BullsEye10X
Semper Fidelis
 
BullsEye10X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,136
I just got back from the range and tried out my first batches of home-made .38's. They all worked great! No issues at all with the PPU brass; I'll be loading them up again as soon as they come out of the tumbler.

Incidentally, I measured the case wall thickness of these (and several others) when I was having problems sizing older R-P stuff. The PPU casings were actually the thickest at ~ .011, whereas the R-P was .009 or less. So I'd think they will stand up to hot loads just fine.
__________________
If I am absent, and you find yourself in need of orders, go find something and kill it!

Last edited by BullsEye10X; 06-06-2008 at 13:57..
BullsEye10X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 17:38   #107
deadite
Groovy.
 
deadite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: In an ancient slumber..
Posts: 5,455
So far, because of CAS, I've only loaded 45 Colt and 38 Special, so take my word with a grain of salt.

I have a handfull of 45 Colt brass from Buffalo Bore. It says something like,"Buffalo Bore Heavy 45 Colt" on the headstamp. I wish I had a thousand cases to load of that brass. It seems to me like the brass is thicker and stronger than any other 45 Colt brass I've used. I feel like I could reload those cases a zillion times and have no problems.

For some reason, the primer pockets in PMC brass seem easier to clean with that little Lee Primer Pocket cleaner tool than other brands.

Question, are some primer pockets concave at the bottom? The little Lee Primer Pocket cleaning tool, I mentioned earlier, has a flat cleaning surface and sometimes it fails to get stuff near the flash hole. That makes me believe that some pockets are concave down there.

deadite
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
I'm a normal heterosexual American male, so of course I own a 1911.
deadite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 20:25   #108
VN350X10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: McHenry, IL
Posts: 8,039
It depends on the brass. Most primer pockets & flash holes are done in a stamping/punching operation.
If you ever need rifle brass, use Laupua & you'll be spoiled for life. They drill the flash holes & the primer pockets are CNC machined !


uncle albert
VN350X10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 20:45   #109
deadite
Groovy.
 
deadite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: In an ancient slumber..
Posts: 5,455
Neat!

deadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by VN350X10 View Post
It depends on the brass. Most primer pockets & flash holes are done in a stamping/punching operation.
If you ever need rifle brass, use Laupua & you'll be spoiled for life. They drill the flash holes & the primer pockets are CNC machined !


uncle albert
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
I'm a normal heterosexual American male, so of course I own a 1911.
deadite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 02:34   #110
Land G19
Smartass
 
Land G19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NW oklahoma
Posts: 5,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangGreg66 View Post
hmm, I've always thought how cool it would be if I could use a magnet to pick up my brass, even thought about steel primers or something like that (but that would never work) Anyway, I never thought to try to reload the wolf steel cases (because I've never shot any), it seems like they would be perfect for places where it would be difficult to recover brass, simply because you could use a magnet to pick them up.

I go shooting out on some BLM land and our favorite burm over the last couple years has been overrun by thistle weeds that are no more than ancle to shin high. Usually we just shoot and don't worry about the brass for fear of getting stuck so much, but since I've started to reload so much lately, it almost hurts to throw away good brass like that. Steel cases would be great in this instance, just use a long magnet on a stick to recover them... I might have to reconsider wolf ammo at the next gunshow... Then again, I get a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach about putting more ware on my gun shooting these.
I have a cow pasture with a nice tall 20' berm I shoot into. I just get a big blue tarp, and weight the corners down with rocks or something and then place one rock in teh middle to push it through the tall grass and it helps funnel all the brass to the middle of the tarp as well.

When im done shooting I just gather up the brass on the tarp and call it a day. But you will have to figure out where your guns throw most of the brass in order to get the tarp in the best place.
__________________
Lets remember Guns are like condoms it's better to have one and not need it, than need one and not have it.
"Whoever said the pen wass mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons." General Douglas MacArthur
Join the fight to find a cure for Multiple Sclerosis. Support Team Long Shots in reaching our goal You can get more info or donate here
Land G19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:11   #111
hyper-glock
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: So. Central PA
Posts: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Land G19 View Post
I have a cow pasture with a nice tall 20' berm I shoot into. I just get a big blue tarp, and weight the corners down with rocks or something and then place one rock in teh middle to push it through the tall grass and it helps funnel all the brass to the middle of the tarp as well.

When im done shooting I just gather up the brass on the tarp and call it a day. But you will have to figure out where your guns throw most of the brass in order to get the tarp in the best place.
Since the steel cases are not in demand by reloaders and have no significant scrap metal value, they're pretty easy to find (and even to pick up w/ a magnet) after the original owner shot them. So why bother even looking for them if you're shooting somewhere cases are hard to recover? I pick the steel cases up when they're easy to get and keep a supply handy. I have 100-200 reloaded for the occasional times they'll be hard to recover. If it's a place they're hard to recover, I just leave them with no regrets. I really don't want to reload them very often anyway.
__________________
1911, 1 Niner, Big Dawg, Black Rifle, Kalishnikov, Milsurp, Rimfire & Sub Clubs #622
hyper-glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 15:23   #112
Land G19
Smartass
 
Land G19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NW oklahoma
Posts: 5,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-glock View Post
Since the steel cases are not in demand by reloaders and have no significant scrap metal value, they're pretty easy to find (and even to pick up w/ a magnet) after the original owner shot them. So why bother even looking for them if you're shooting somewhere cases are hard to recover? I pick the steel cases up when they're easy to get and keep a supply handy. I have 100-200 reloaded for the occasional times they'll be hard to recover. If it's a place they're hard to recover, I just leave them with no regrets. I really don't want to reload them very often anyway.
I dont worry about the steel cases from my AK or M38 either. I was referring to the brass cases. Some times I like to get in some pistol practice as well and that brass gets found.
__________________
Lets remember Guns are like condoms it's better to have one and not need it, than need one and not have it.
"Whoever said the pen wass mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons." General Douglas MacArthur
Join the fight to find a cure for Multiple Sclerosis. Support Team Long Shots in reaching our goal You can get more info or donate here
Land G19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 10:14   #113
Beware Owner
NOT a victim.
 
Beware Owner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,143
Wolf Ammunition brass?
__________________
Free men have arms; slaves do not. Tyrants mistrust the people, hence they deprive them of arms.
Criminals for Gun Control
Myth: Gun Control Reduces Crime
Homegrown Terrorism
Beware Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 14:41   #114
gary newport
Senior Member
 
gary newport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: People's Republic of California
Posts: 12,273
Last Friday, I was cranking out .45 ACP loads on my Dillon when one case felt very strange in the powder die. I removed it from the press and checked the headstamp -- Amerc!

I sorted out about 10 of these things from my bin of cleaned brass.

How bad is Armscor .45 ACP brass? I've got a baggie of perhaps 250 virgin cases I claimed from a shooting league prize table.
__________________
A forum with WalterGa is a more informative, funnier, and more interesting place.

G17, G17RTF2, G19, G21, G21SF (2), G26, G30, G30SF, G34 (2), G37 (2), G38, G39
gary newport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 20:07   #115
VN350X10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: McHenry, IL
Posts: 8,039
Gary,
Armscor is usable, I've gotten 4 or 5 loadings out of it to test.

A-Merc is without a doubt the WORST mfgr. to try & reload.
It's made as a loss-leader type ammo, for mass merchandising sales, such as "Cheaper Than Dirt" and others.
The resultant quality shows !

uncle albert
VN350X10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 20:17   #116
M4inCA
pho_kit_all
 
M4inCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Southern Tip of the PRK
Posts: 1,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirreld View Post
Yer the only one tout'n CCI and I would like others input on it.
Good/bad?
LOVE CCI...

I load CCI/*I*/Speer as my IDPA brass with GREAT results. Consistant across the board, EZ fit primer pockets. Smooth as butter on my 650.
__________________
Excess of liberty, whether it lies in state or individuals, seems only to pass into excess of slavery.

-Plato
M4inCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 11:48   #117
Papucho
Member
 
Papucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central America
Posts: 66
Ive just ran into 500 units of brass marked with five stars *****. Has anybody used them? What brand are they? Thanks.
__________________
Dominus Vobiscum
__________________________________________
"The 21 Club" # 0401
"Big Dawg" # 1568
Papucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 16:53   #118
VN350X10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: McHenry, IL
Posts: 8,039
Is there any other marking on the headstamp ?
I don't show any reference to brass with a 5-star marking.

uncle albert
__________________
NRA Endowment Member, NRA Certified Instructor for Rifle & Pistol, Illinois State Rifle Assn. - Life Member, GSSF Life Member,N.R.O.I. level I, IL Glockers #34
G: 19,20(x2),21,22,23(x2),24,27,29,34,35 & 36 (still counting)
USPSA, IDPA,
VN350X10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 17:28   #119
Papucho
Member
 
Papucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central America
Posts: 66
Here is a pic of the brass.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0629_165742.jpg
Views:	713
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	152829
__________________
Dominus Vobiscum
__________________________________________
"The 21 Club" # 0401
"Big Dawg" # 1568
Papucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 21:19   #120
Jeff82
CLM Number 237
NRA Benefactor
 
Jeff82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: USofA!
Posts: 6,057


Quote:
Originally Posted by Papucho View Post
Here is a pic of the brass.

Attachment 152829
Who ever it was, looks like their firing pin is dragging...
__________________
MOΛΩN ΛABE!

"A Republic, if you can keep it." B. Franklin, 1787, outside Independence Hall

There's not "good" or "bad" muslims, only those true to their book and those that aren't, yet...
Jeff82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 11:38   #121
Apocalypse_Now
Molon Labe
 
Apocalypse_Now's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The Outer Limits
Posts: 2,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by sig2009 View Post
I think you should remove Speer from the not as good section!
Several of the "not as good" are just fine reloading brass
__________________
"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves. ... Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible instrument of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American" Tench Coxe 1788.
Apocalypse_Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:40   #122
HiredGun77
Senior Member
 
HiredGun77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: North Bend Oregon
Posts: 560
Brass varies batch to batch. Lots if you will. I have had Remington, Winchester and Starline that failed at a 60% rate on it's first firing. in 40S&W and 10MM those failures were body splits and severe smilies even with very mild loads. A different batch all worked ffine even with max loads and have gone 20 firings. i don't retire pistol brass until it gets a case mouth crack. 357 and 44 magnum brass doesn't last near as long.
__________________
Straight Shooter Supply
Custom Rifles - NIC Certified Cerakote Applicator
HiredGun77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 15:04   #123
target4fun
Senior Member
 
target4fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: san antonio tx
Posts: 128
PPU brass in 45 is garbage it stalls up my machine every time as does FC marked brass. I would stay away from these just as you would Amerc brass.

PPU may be okay in other cal's but not in 45 ... it jammed my machine every single time!
__________________
Visit my website: www.AlamoDefense.net for Texas CHL Concealed Handgun Course or NRA instructor Courses in San Antonio, Texas. I also have firearm reviews on my site.
target4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 15:26   #124
gary newport
Senior Member
 
gary newport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: People's Republic of California
Posts: 12,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by target4fun View Post
PPU brass in 45 is garbage it stalls up my machine every time as does FC marked brass. I would stay away from these just as you would Amerc brass.

PPU may be okay in other cal's but not in 45 ... it jammed my machine every single time!
FC is Federal Cartridge: I've had no problems with Federal brass in .45 ACP/GAP.
__________________
A forum with WalterGa is a more informative, funnier, and more interesting place.

G17, G17RTF2, G19, G21, G21SF (2), G26, G30, G30SF, G34 (2), G37 (2), G38, G39
gary newport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 00:20   #125
167
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 160
The Monarch brand stuff you can get at Academy Sports has the PPU headstamp, does that mean it is Prvi Partizan with another name on it?
__________________
Master Class Chronicles
167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 23:00.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,088
299 Members
789 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42