GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-15-2014, 20:43   #1
Cheecho

Pistol powders in stock at LGS, now what?

Checked LGS today and they had decent stock of most common Alliant and Hodgdon powders including Unique and Bulleye and Titegroup. I have been looking to start loading for pistol for well over one year. This is first time I have found any pistol powder locally. $20.99/lb. + tax. What is best for 9mm & .40?
Cheecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 20:59   #2
sourdough44

I have used the 3 powders you mention in various loadings. I usually use powders on the fast side with lighter 9mm loads, then 'medium' speed powders with the 40. Of those I may use Unique in the 40, then one of the other 2 with the 9. Unique would work for both too, sometimes it can be more a pain to measure though.

Besides a good powder for a certain cartridge, the weight of bullet and intended loads/ use factor in.
sourdough44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 21:23   #3
WeeWilly

All three will work well.

As a newcomer, I think Unique would be your best choice, unlikely to double charge in those calibers.
Old 09-15-2014, 21:47   #4
Cheecho

Thanks for the quick feedback gentlemen. I should have mentioned I will be loading for punching paper, non-competition. 115 gr for 9mm & 165mm for .40. Just happy to start seeing some pistol powder around.
Old 09-15-2014, 22:05   #5
WeeWilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheecho View Post
Thanks for the quick feedback gentlemen. I should have mentioned I will be loading for punching paper, non-competition. 115 gr for 9mm & 165mm for .40. Just happy to start seeing some pistol powder around.
Glad you found some, it gets pretty easy after this milestone (finding powder that is).

I would have bought all the Unique and Bullseye he had, still a little jumpy after this drought....
Old 09-16-2014, 05:46   #6
Kentguy

cheecho "...What is best for 9mm & .40?"

Two powders (of the ones you mentioned) I will always have on the shelve is Alliant Bullseye & Winchester 231. These powders I have used for just about eveything.

If it becomes available, pick up some Hodgdon Universal (very similar to Unique) but IMHO works/burns just a bit better.

Hodgdon HS6 works well for both of those calibers and if you can run across any Accurate Arms #5, this also works well in both 9 & 40.

Good luck and have fun.

Last edited by Kentguy; 09-16-2014 at 05:46..
Kentguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:07   #7
Gen421

Bullseye!
Gen421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 14:12   #8
naughtymoose

for a new reloader, Unique is a much safer place to get started. Unique does a lot of things well, however it will burn dirty in reduced loads.
naughtymoose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 14:55   #9
BobbyS
You Talkin ToMe

If you can get those powders at you LGS be very appreciative as they are not readily available everywhere.
Old 09-16-2014, 16:34   #10
gunowner1

Did they have any left when you went back?
gunowner1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 17:10   #11
F106 Fan

Just to pick a number, assume you can make 1400 rounds per pound of powder. So, go buy as much as you can.

Unique is ALWAYS a good choice and TiteGroup and Bullseye can be used to make light gamer loads. Unique makes full power loads.

Get the powder then get the primers. Grab up some bullets (they are plentiful) and then buy whatever equipment you still need.

Richard
Old 09-16-2014, 18:11   #12
Cheecho

I went with Bullseye. Thanks for all the advice, especially concerning the double charge. Maybe I should pick up some Unique too, to get started. They still had inventory in stock, not much changed from yesterday. I am in western Oklahoma btw. Finding this powder will now lead me to buy my eq. I had been holding out until all components were available. I have no excuse now.
Old 09-16-2014, 19:13   #13
WeeWilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheecho View Post
I went with Bullseye. Thanks for all the advice, especially concerning the double charge. Maybe I should pick up some Unique too, to get started. They still had inventory in stock, not much changed from yesterday. I am in western Oklahoma btw. Finding this powder will now lead me to buy my eq. I had been holding out until all components were available. I have no excuse now.
BE will work fine. Even in the larger 40 case, a double will be apparent. Just set up a routine where you look into every case with one of those snake neck LED lights providing illumination, before you set the bullet. In no time at all, you will be so familiar with what the proper charge looks like, even just a light charge will set off alarm bells in your head.

Have fun.

Last edited by WeeWilly; 09-16-2014 at 19:16..
WeeWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 20:11   #14
gunowner1

I'm glad they had powder when you went back.
gunowner1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 21:00   #15
Steel Head
Tactical Cat

Looking forward to a report OP.
I would have picked the BE.
Keep an eye out for WSF, fantastic for mid to full loads in 9mm & 40s&w, similar to unique.