Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-13-2008, 23:21   #1
DA_NINJA

Bushmaster M4

I am thinking of buying a bushy M4, in this field, I have zero knowledge . Could any of you AR gurus kindly enlightened me which is better the 14.5" or the 16" barrel. What's the difference between the Hbar and LBar.
Which do you guys prefer the A2 or the A3.
Thanks in advance to any advice you'll chime in.
And Oh, by the way , what's the best scope you'll recommend to get just in case that I'll go for the A3.
DA_NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 01:23   #2
bikethief
itchy trigger

Hbar=heavy barrel, Lbar=light barrel. What would be your primary use for it? 14.5" is more than enough for most applications. Decent groups out to 250m. are achievable if your rifle is built correctly. Are you looking to shoot something farther away? This will also determine your choice of optics.

- bikethief
bikethief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:01   #3
cebuboy
toy soldier

Get an LMT if you can, they make good guns IMHO. For all around use, an Aimpoint is my choice.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:43   #4
atmarcella

what is an LMT? ty
Old 02-14-2008, 03:58   #5
TTPower

Send a message via Yahoo to TTPower
mga experts.... i have a dilema! i bought a quadrail handguard on-line. now the problem is the original delta ring and the end cap of my m16 is not compatible with the handguard. nag ikot na ko sa lahat ng gunstores wala sila makita na compatible sa handguard ko. they say that my handguard has a different specs.... (specs daw ng fobus).

these are my options....
1) gunsmith (tony pascual) will file the front part of the handguard and install his own fabricated delta ring and end-cap. total cost P2700 (30 min. tapos na daw)

2) gunsmith (metrillo) will fabricate a delta ring and end-cap according tho the specs of the handguard. cost 1800 (3-4 days daw)

i'll try to post pics later.
TTPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 04:01   #6
TTPower

whats the difference between A2 and A3? also whats the difference between a heavy barrel and the light barrel in terms of their purpose?

wala rin ako masyado alam sa rifles e
Old 02-14-2008, 04:48   #7
DA_NINJA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikethief View Post
Hbar=heavy barrel, Lbar=light barrel. What would be your primary use for it? 14.5" is more than enough for most applications. Decent groups out to 250m. are achievable if your rifle is built correctly. Are you looking to shoot something farther away? This will also determine your choice of optics.
basically, this rifle would only see range time both indoor at the moment, since pulos yelo ang inabot namin dito sa illinois, then probably by summertime, outdoor range, and siguro by hunting seasons, gaya ng turkey and deer, it would probably see get its share of the games.

another question mga bossings... ano ba ang mas preferred or ang difference between light chromed line heavy barrel and chromed line heavy barrel. again, maraming salamat sa inyong mga sagot.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:04   #8
ess45

LMT - Lewis Machine & Tool Co.
Agree with Cebuboy on LMT. LMT barrels are better than Bushy. The differrence in price is probably around $100- 150 on the complete upper receiver (LMT on the expensive side).

Difference between A2 and A3

A2 Upper receiver
Band of Glockers

A3 Upper with detachable carry handle
Band of Glockers
A3 Upper receiver with lower receiver
Band of Glockers

Lower receivers are basically the same except for the logos.

If you go 14.5, you would have to permanently pin the flash hider.

Last edited by ess45; 02-14-2008 at 08:00..
ess45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 07:05   #9
bulm540

If you get a 14.5 be sure to have the flash supressor permanently attached to make is legal if you are here in teh States. 16 is the minimum barrel lenght unless you want to pay teh $ 200 stamp for your M4 to be registered. For infos about ar go here www.AR15.com
Old 02-14-2008, 07:31   #10
Sweater

Bushmaster ,they make good M4 ,price is in the midrange , but if budget permit get an LMT ,but if you really want a Bushy get the gas piston.Sweater

Last edited by Sweater; 02-14-2008 at 07:46..
Sweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 07:50   #11
andersmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulm540 View Post
If you get a 14.5 be sure to have the flash supressor permanently attached to make is legal if you are here in teh States. 16 is the minimum barrel lenght unless you want to pay teh $ 200 stamp for your M4 to be registered. For infos about ar go here www.AR15.com
My take on the barrel length is if it must be 16" to be legal why give up any velocity you will lose from the shorter barrel? It has to have the flash suppressor on it and it will still be 16" in the US unless you pay the $200 and get the permit. That being the case I bought the 16" light barrelled AR myself.

Just my two cents worth...
andersmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 08:19   #12
ess45

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_NINJA View Post
basically, this rifle would only see range time both indoor at the moment, since pulos yelo ang inabot namin dito sa illinois, then probably by summertime, outdoor range, and siguro by hunting seasons, gaya ng turkey and deer, it would probably see get its share of the games.

another question mga bossings... ano ba ang mas preferred or ang difference between light chromed line heavy barrel and chromed line heavy barrel. again, maraming salamat sa inyong mga sagot.
If you are planning to use it for hunting deer, get a least a 16" or 18" and a bigger caliber than 223/5.56 (eg. 6.8 SPC). I don't know about the hunting rules in your state, but some states don't allow 223/5.56 for deer hunting and besides it's inhumane.
Old 02-14-2008, 17:02   #13
atmarcella

saw this last night on discovery channel...

http://world.guns.ru/sniper/sn63-e.htm

2000+ yards sisiw.....
Old 02-14-2008, 17:09   #14
SARG

Go to this thread and study. This guy explains which ones and why.
http://forums.officer.com/showthread.php?t=81462
Old 02-14-2008, 19:32   #15
isuzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTPower View Post
whats the difference between A2 and A3? also whats the difference between a heavy barrel and the light barrel in terms of their purpose?

wala rin ako masyado alam sa rifles e
An A3 has a detachable handguard.

Da Ninja,

A heavy barrel supposedly dissipates heat better than the lightweight barrel, and minimizes vibration. In my experience, the heavy barrel makes the rifle feel nose heavy; unlike with the lightweight barrel that makes the rifle feel more "balanced." A chromelined barrel has a longer life and less maintenance than the non-chromelined ones.

You can also try to assemble a rifle by buying kits which would come out cheaper (around $600.00). You can try looking at www.model1sales.com. IMO, they have good value on rifle kits. Their dissipator model is a good compromise between a carbine and a full-length AR (and still benifitting from a full sight radius). www.atlanticfirearms.com has an Olympic Arms 16" carbine with fixed stock and A1 sights on sale at $589.00 http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/prog...asp?Prodid=298

I would be very careful about using a .223/5.56mm in hunting deer. Check your state's hunting laws as to what minimum caliber to use for deer. IMO, a .243 is the minimum for hunting whitetails beyond 200 meters, and the ideal caliber for hunting whitetails within the 200 meter range is the 30-30. Hornady has introduced the LeveRevolution in 30-30, which extends the range of this caliber to the 300 meter range.

A cheap alternative to hunting deer is the SKS http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/prog...d.asp?Prodid=3. The ballistics for the 7.62 x 39 is almost similar to the 30-30, and there are lots of cheap ammo for this rifle. Soft or hollow point ammo are the kind I would use for hunting deer. I'm also planning to hunt deer using a Norinco SKS. A friend of mine saved lots of money when he started hunting whitetails.

Samozaryadniy Karabin sistemi Simonova

Last edited by isuzu; 02-15-2008 at 19:41..
isuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 22:24   #16
DA_NINJA

Thanks to all the info--guys, you've all shed light to my dim knowledge about ARs, I might probably go for the 16" hbar chromed line bbl-a3.
As, for the hunting laws of illinois and wisconsin, I'll have to check on that-- further more, the hunting part might be done in Wisconsin. And only if .223 rem is prohibited to be used in hunting, well that gives me another reason to buy another rifle (in permitted hunting caliber).
Old 02-15-2008, 04:01   #17
TTPower

here are the pics....
Band of Glockers
front end of the handguard
Band of Glockers
back end of the handguard
Band of Glockers
Old 02-15-2008, 06:39   #18
cebuboy
toy soldier

You need the round carbine handguard endcap fo that,Which I'm also looking for.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:50   #19
isuzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuboy View Post
You need the round carbine handguard endcap fo that,Which I'm also looking for.

Cebuboy,

Danao gunsmiths can make those handguard caps. My gunsmith in the Philippines, who comes from Danao, brought a mold when he visited his hometown. He just gets a sheet metal and hammers them into the mold to eventually shape it into a cap.

TTPower,

Some handguards have universal ends now.

Last edited by isuzu; 02-15-2008 at 06:55..
Old 02-15-2008, 07:02   #20
cebuboy
toy soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by isuzu View Post
Cebuboy,

Danao gunsmiths can make those handguard caps. My gunsmith in the Philippines, who comes from Danao, brought a mold when he visited his hometown. He just gets a sheet metal and hammers them into the mold to eventually shape it into a cap.
hehehe my locally made endcap just cracked...
Old 02-15-2008, 17:27   #21
ess45

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_NINJA View Post
Thanks to all the info--guys, you've all shed light to my dim knowledge about ARs, I might probably go for the 16" hbar chromed line bbl-a3.
As, for the hunting laws of illinois and wisconsin, I'll have to check on that-- further more, the hunting part might be done in Wisconsin. And only if .223 rem is prohibited to be used in hunting, well that gives me another reason to buy another rifle (in permitted hunting caliber).
Get a midlenght gas system if you go for 16" barrel.
Old 02-15-2008, 19:42   #22
isuzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuboy View Post
hehehe my locally made endcap just cracked...
The sheet metal that they used might be a bit thin or has been extensively heated, causing it to be brittle.

Old 02-15-2008, 21:35   #23
snipy_fox

Band of Glockers
just sharing my LBar 11" and HBar 16". items also are for sale for phil members only. pm me for details....
snipy_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 23:38   #24
DA_NINJA

thanks to all the guys who threw a piece or two of advice on what to look for for by EBR..........look what followed me home....sorry for the crappy pic...just finished installing the handguard and the light and light grip
Attached Thumbnails
Band of Glockers - Click for larger version  
Old 03-01-2008, 01:00   #25
Young Once

Sir snipy_fox, sent you a pm.
Young Once is offline   Reply With Quote