Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2009, 18:11   #121
FLGUY
The Gabagool
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 1000 mi. south of the N.J. Turnpike
Posts: 823
Based on where I live and where I usually go, carrying my 19 is not always convenient. I feel confident with my 642 tucked in a pocket holster with +P .38 and 10 more in 2 auto loaders. I figure I'll be able to handle most (maybe not all) SD situations that might occur. Sometimes I do carry the 642 as backup to the 19.
FLGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 18:17   #122
RemSp10
Ok I give up
 
RemSp10's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Albany,Oregon
Posts: 1,327


Quote:
Originally Posted by LT642 View Post
I have been carrying a 642 j-frame and a speedloader/speedstrip off duty for many years. However, recent events have convinced me that I need to step it up a notch. I now carry my issued Glock 23 and a spare magazine off duty, the spare mag is a must if you carry an auto should you have a magazine failure.
I always thought I was well protected and truth be known I was, however I have to say the Glock is much more comforting than the j-frame.
I read people say if I'm just going out to pick up a paper, etc. I'll grab my _________,
but, if you need a gun you need a gun,period and you may wish you had taken the time to carry a combat ready pistol vs. a bug.
I ordered a new iwb holster and have commited to the Glock, I hope this helps.
Stay safe.
This is how i feel now. my .38 has been with me everwhere.
Now either my 22 or 19 leave the house with me.
__________________
Make the first one count,there may not be time for a second.
Snubbie Club # 638
RemSp10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 10:32   #123
Berto
woo woo
 
Berto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: WA
Posts: 29,913


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunboat1 View Post
We all inhabit the same physical world. The laws of physics and mathematics don't vary according to individual so-called "sensibilities." You can learn them and live by them, or you can ignore them at your peril.

I'm not talking to the individual snub owner who just looooooves his snub and isn't going to change his mind no matter what logic he is faced with. I'm talking to the noob who is trying to choose a weapon for self-defense. I'm hopeful that with some thought, that noob will choose a better weapon than a 5-shot snub as his ONLY weapon.

Unfortunately, you seem to assume you know more than every individual that chooses a snub. Most handguns are a compromise.
For a small handgun, the snub is a good choice given the required practice.
Many very well respected instructors would agree with this...and they understand the laws of physics and mathematics likely as well as you do.

Maybe you should write a book, for all the noobs.
__________________
The West is the Best.
Berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 19:42   #124
fowler
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: ohio
Posts: 3,861
Its enough and all you hope you never have to use.
fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 15:16   #125
NFrameFred
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 51
Never had to actually point it or use it, but was faced with a situation where my 5 shot J frame felt woefully puny in my hand as I pondered whether or not the individual on the other side of the door was going to make me find out how effective it was. At that moment I wished it had been my model 29.

But and however, I have enough confidence in my abilities and common sense to know that it's not practical for me to always have my 12 gauge or my model 29 at arms length, but I can and do keep my airweight J Frame with me at all times.

The biggest one you have in the safe is useless when you need it on the street. And the one you have and the one you'll constantly have is better than the one you leave behind occasionally because it's too big, it prints too easy, it's too heavy, it's blah, blah, blah - not WITH you.

Guess I'm not a tough guy - if I'm in a fight for my life I'm going to feel undergunned with anything that isn't shoulder fired . . . . or crew served

Last edited by NFrameFred; 04-24-2009 at 15:19..
NFrameFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 14:08   #126
CraigsG19
Lost Boy
 
CraigsG19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: CT
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFrameFred View Post
.

Guess I'm not a tough guy - if I'm in a fight for my life I'm going to feel undergunned with anything that isn't shoulder fired . . . . or crew served
+1 ... Hard to argue this logic.
__________________
G19, G30, S&W Model 642 Snubbie, NRA Member
CraigsG19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 16:27   #127
Gunboat1
Far Traveler
 
Gunboat1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: The Old Dominion
Posts: 3,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFrameFred View Post
...it's too heavy, it's blah, blah, blah - not WITH you.

Guess I'm not a tough guy - if I'm in a fight for my life I'm going to feel undergunned with anything that isn't shoulder fired . . . . or crew served

So make the necessary sacrifices to carry a better weapon, consistently. That isn't so hard to do.

In the event of a fight, feeling undergunned? Almost certainly. Actually being undergunned? Not necessarily, and only if you let yourself be. That was the whole point of this thread's discussion. Usually, there are better choices which will be far less likely to fall short of the need than a 5-shot snub.
__________________
Molon Labe!

"The sum of virtue is to be sociable with them that will be sociable, and formidable to them that will not." - Hobbes
Gunboat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 20:03   #128
AZ_Quailhunter
NRA Life Member
 
AZ_Quailhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Arizona
Posts: 415
NO.....not really. For two reasons.....I can carry more than one.....and I can also carry my Glock 19. I think I have most of it covered.
__________________
"Never advance cheerfully on your late opponent without reloading. You may have used your last round, and he may not be properly dead and still spiteful." Maj. Hugh Pollard
AZ_Quailhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 04:44   #129
frankr
Senior Member
 
frankr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Northwestern Pennsylvania
Posts: 581
I have a Glock 27 that I carry, but I feel just as good with my S&W 442 loaded with 158 grain SJHP. If your in the process of being robbed the bad guy will be surprised and shocked when you pull your weapon and at the sound of the first shot he will be running as fast as he can. Five bullets will be plenty even with two bad guys. They are not going to stick around and shoot it out with you.
__________________
Frank
frankr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 11:03   #130
michiglocker
Member
 
michiglocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Nashville Tn (Michigan Native)
Posts: 72
But................what if

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankr View Post
I have a Glock 27 that I carry, but I feel just as good with my S&W 442 loaded with 158 grain SJHP. If your in the process of being robbed the bad guy will be surprised and shocked when you pull your weapon and at the sound of the first shot he will be running as fast as he can. Five bullets will be plenty even with two bad guys. They are not going to stick around and shoot it out with you.
What if the two of them both are packing high cap and have many more chances at you then you do at them? (just playing Devil's advocate)
__________________
"Life's journey is not meant to end at the graveside with a well preserved body, but rather you should slide in sideways ,through a great cloud of dust, at the last possible second,totally worn out, yelling at the top of your lungs "HOLY SH*#, WHAT A RIDE!:faint: BILL
michiglocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 17:55   #131
Phoenix_400
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ft Bragg
Posts: 11
Nope, no the least bit undergunned. I carry a 642 everywhere with me. Though I'm looking for detective special as I usually end up carrying IWB. The 642 will stick around as a pocket or ankle gun when dress requires.

Of course, tactics are the thing to keep in mind. Most of my friends carry Sigs, Glocks, XDs, and then there's me, with my little snubbie. They laugh, until I explain it to them. The snub goes everywhere with me, and anywhere on my person. They can't do that and don't always carry. They leave the gun the car, at home, whatever. If I'm wearing pants, I've got my snub with me. My snub serves one purpose, get me out of immediate danger. This gun's purpose is to end a confrontation quickly or, failing that, get my assailants duckin' and movin' and get me back to my car. There I can either:

A.) Get the heck outta there. Then call the cops once I'm far enough away that I feel safe.

B.) Grab the CZ outta the car and either finish the fight or stay in it until I can safely disengage.

The snub does have its limitations. Plan around them and you are not undergunned.

Last edited by Phoenix_400; 05-16-2009 at 17:59..
Phoenix_400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 18:18   #132
JackC53
BOONDOCK SAINTS
 
JackC53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: North of Boston
Posts: 1,383
About 75% of all gunfights occur at 10 feet or less. That's BEFORE we're even talking about the odds of running into a situation where the other guy(s) even has a gun. I don't feel undergunned with a snubby but I would feel undergunned with my Glock19 sitting at home because it's 90 degrees out and I'm wearing shorts and a t-shirt.
__________________
It's a Glock!
JackC53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 19:36   #133
Ulysses
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,451
A J-frame is effective but think of this!

A J-Frame has 5 rounds and is slow to reload compared to say a Glock 19.

It has 1/3 the rounds and less powerful rounds at that.


A derringer had 2 rounds which is 40% of what a Colt Single Action Army carried when loaded with 5 rounds as was typical for safety.

SO we are effectively carrying the modern equivalent of a deringer compared to the more effective arms of our times.

That being said I would rather most people carry J-Frames because they are MUCH more forgiving against NEGLIGENT gun discharges.
Ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 13:14   #134
glockguerilla
Senior Member
 
glockguerilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 956
3 rounds, 3 feet, 3 seconds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandapani View Post
3 rounds, 3 feet, 3 seconds.
My dad would talk about this scenario being most common. He had 25 years with Dallas TX police dept. I train often with this in mind.

We're on summer vacation at our beach house and I have my snubbie and
keep Glock 19 cached. Snubbie in my cargo pocket (Nemesis holster) and
loaded with Hornady Critical Defense ammo. I practice regularly and feel
very confident for any scenario may occur in the area we're in (extremely
low crime rate). http://www.hornady.com/story.php?s=786 Folks in
our community look out for each other and most all ccw.
glockguerilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:35   #135
LSP972
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Zachary, LA
Posts: 2,530
Interesting discussion. Valid points made on all sides.

I have carried ONE J-frame when off-duty for many , many years... and never felt "undergunned". I felt that way for the same reason I never felt undergunned when carrying a six-shot revolver in uniform... any encounter would be one-on-one, two-on-one at most; and if I couldn't handle it with six rounds, well, it just wasn't my day. I had the snubby as a back-up, but the odds were that if I didn't win in those first six magnum rounds, I probably wasn't going to.

Later, when I got into plain clothes, I carried TWO J-frames; one as a primary, the other as a back-up. And felt adequately armed.

Times have changed. It usually takes an epiphany of some sort to change an old-timer's mind who is set in his ways. Mine happened at the local "bad mall' (there are two in the BR area) where the bride and I stopped in one Saturday evening to get something unobtainable at the 'good mall'.

The place was overrun with wanna-be gangsta thugs who collected in groups of five or more... and were looking for something to keep their limited attention spans engaged. For the first time, I felt nearly naked... even with a J-frame in my pocket and six extra rounds in a speed strip in a belt pouch.

I normally don't go to that mall, period... for that reason. Before Katrina, the local trash pretty much kept to their own areas. Since Katrina, these pieces of cancer (many from New Orleans, who stayed here) have infested the whole town.

I now carry a G19 AND a J-frame everywhere. Its a crying shame, but at least I'm getting my head in gear for The Revolution....

.
__________________
"You say you have a "sheepdog" mentality. But if you have no structured training behind you... you're just barking."

"The retard cannot comprehend that everyone else... isn't."
-pangris
LSP972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:30   #136
badge4436
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
Interesting discussion. Valid points made on all sides.

I have carried ONE J-frame when off-duty for many , many years... and never felt "undergunned". I felt that way for the same reason I never felt undergunned when carrying a six-shot revolver in uniform... any encounter would be one-on-one, two-on-one at most; and if I couldn't handle it with six rounds, well, it just wasn't my day. I had the snubby as a back-up, but the odds were that if I didn't win in those first six magnum rounds, I probably wasn't going to.

Later, when I got into plain clothes, I carried TWO J-frames; one as a primary, the other as a back-up. And felt adequately armed.

Times have changed. It usually takes an epiphany of some sort to change an old-timer's mind who is set in his ways. Mine happened at the local "bad mall' (there are two in the BR area) where the bride and I stopped in one Saturday evening to get something unobtainable at the 'good mall'.

The place was overrun with wanna-be gangsta thugs who collected in groups of five or more... and were looking for something to keep their limited attention spans engaged. For the first time, I felt nearly naked... even with a J-frame in my pocket and six extra rounds in a speed strip in a belt pouch.

I normally don't go to that mall, period... for that reason. Before Katrina, the local trash pretty much kept to their own areas. Since Katrina, these pieces of cancer (many from New Orleans, who stayed here) have infested the whole town.

I now carry a G19 AND a J-frame everywhere. Its a crying shame, but at least I'm getting my head in gear for The Revolution....

.
Sadly I find myself supplementing the J frame with a G26 or G19 myself. Times are changing. Add the fact that I have done so much professional training with my son using the G19 and G26 I feel kind of foolish not carrying one with at least one extra magazine. As for clothing, I find I can wear any kind of clothing and find a way to stash the G26 and an extra mag, even in swimtrunks (think SmartCarry).

It gets down to threat assessment. Although a retired detective from a large Southern California Sheriff's Dept. I am double dipping as a crime scene investigator for a smaller agency. I carry a G26 and an extra mag concealed on that job. I have got so used to that weapon that when I'm not working I just carry it appendix style under a T-shirt whether wearing shorts or Levis. It has never been noticed that I know of.

I have been a long time revolver guy. Carried a Smith and Wesson Combat Masterpiece six shot .38 for the first 13 years in patrol. I didn't feel undergunned with that. I also carried a backup Chief Special five shot .38 with a dehorned hammer.

The thing is that Glock is just soooo reliable....and all those extra rounds....why do I feel like a traitor?
badge4436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 16:06   #137
Gunboat1
Far Traveler
 
Gunboat1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: The Old Dominion
Posts: 3,149
Not a traitor - just a more thoughtful, better prepared sheepdog. Thank you for your service, and your candor.
__________________
Molon Labe!

"The sum of virtue is to be sociable with them that will be sociable, and formidable to them that will not." - Hobbes
Gunboat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 20:01   #138
den888
Senior Member
 
den888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 5,062
No, if it's all I got, I would use it to my advantage.
den888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 14:56   #139
GuitarCrazyo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: US
Posts: 7
Send a message via ICQ to GuitarCrazyo
Do You Feel "Undergunned" carrying the Snubbie

My bestfriend betrayed me. She was one of the only people I was close to, she was like a sister and a haven away from my not so perfect home life. She stole my first love from me, whom I gave everything to. Needless to say, I was depressed, hurt, suicidal tendencies, yadayada. I was alone except for them because my ex and I were the only ones to fail our grade Laziness and we only knew each other really, and she was the only one who would visit us. Imagine yourself being in that situation, its not pretty. I knew it would never work, and it didnt. Eventually I forgave her. Were friends again. My ex and I are friends again. We dont hang like we used to, but we talk. Its funny how she thinks I want to take her bf from her. Paranoia much, its like thats payback because she felt somewhat guilty. I mean, if theyre broken up, then yeah. On top of that, when she was dating my ex, he tried to sort of do some things I can not really say with me, tried. I stood stock still when he kissed me, not kissing back but not stopping him either. Just bored, I didnt even provoke him.But yeah, were all good now. All is forgiven. Funny thing is, forgiveness is for you, not them. If you forgive them, youre relinquishing any sort of control they had on your life. You feel better when the anger subsides. Chances are, if theyre going to do something to you like what happened in my or your situation, either you both had a major misunderstanding, your friendship wasnt as strong as you thought, or the friend just simply isnt worthy of you.
GuitarCrazyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 13:55   #140
Drew78
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarCrazyo View Post
My bestfriend betrayed me. She was one of the only people I was close to, she was like a sister and a haven away from my not so perfect home life. She stole my first love from me, whom I gave everything to. Needless to say, I was depressed, hurt, suicidal tendencies, yadayada. I was alone except for them because my ex and I were the only ones to fail our grade Laziness and we only knew each other really, and she was the only one who would visit us. Imagine yourself being in that situation, its not pretty. I knew it would never work, and it didnt. Eventually I forgave her. Were friends again. My ex and I are friends again. We dont hang like we used to, but we talk. Its funny how she thinks I want to take her bf from her. Paranoia much, its like thats payback because she felt somewhat guilty. I mean, if theyre broken up, then yeah. On top of that, when she was dating my ex, he tried to sort of do some things I can not really say with me, tried. I stood stock still when he kissed me, not kissing back but not stopping him either. Just bored, I didnt even provoke him.But yeah, were all good now. All is forgiven. Funny thing is, forgiveness is for you, not them. If you forgive them, youre relinquishing any sort of control they had on your life. You feel better when the anger subsides. Chances are, if theyre going to do something to you like what happened in my or your situation, either you both had a major misunderstanding, your friendship wasnt as strong as you thought, or the friend just simply isnt worthy of you.

WTF!?!

Like listing to Dr. Phil
__________________
Nothing to see here folks, let's move it along now...
Drew78 is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 23:17.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 831
213 Members
618 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31