Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-05-2009, 00:18   #101
Brock Morgan
Gunleather!

I have not waded through all of the posts but I can tell you that lately I have taken to carrying two J-frames and do not feel at all "under-gunned". I will likely soon swap one of the J=Frames for a 325 NG, but this will not change my overall thought process....

First, the who shot placement concept. If you think the .38 +P is a pansy load then let me hit you with a couple. Yes there are stouter calibers, but that alone will not win the fight;

Second, any firearm you have with you is better than the one you leave ______ (insert location here);

And third, I typically live and travel about in one of the nicer parts of my city. Were I to go and hang out in the more lively parts of the city I would arm accordingly....and bring friends armed similarly for backup. In short, assess your own life risk. there is nothing wrong with toting the latest and greatest bang machine, especially because I make a living of making holsters for all of the new firearms....but I make a lot of holsters for small firearms and "old school" ones, too.

yes, a snubby can be slow to reload, hence my "new york" reload....along with bunches of speed strips carried on me or in pockets. I doubt if a situation ever arises in my life where I would have to shoot that I will have to fire more than 10 rounds....if I do, I will also be seeking cover and reloading from there....along with calling 911 and inviting my local constabulary to come join the party, after which I will take a moment to change my shorts.

Let's raise a toast to ALL of the fine firearms we have in this country, and the ability to carry them....and let us all remember, too, that we have that right because of the fine men and women who sacrificed of themselves on our behalf. Don't throw away that sacrifice by believing every word some politician says....it is not a right unless you INSIST on it....otherwise it is simply words on paper.
www.bluegrasshybridholsters.com
Brock Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 22:49   #102
g36user

That's a good post, Brock...and thanks for the link to bluegrass...very nice!!

g
Old 01-08-2009, 07:34   #103
Brock Morgan
Gunleather!

Quote:
Originally Posted by g36user View Post
That's a good post, Brock...and thanks for the link to bluegrass...very nice!!

g
thank you, sir! let me know if you ever need any good leather.

take care

brock
www.bluegrasshybridholsters.com
Brock Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 14:55   #104
Dandapani

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJSully421 View Post
3 rounds, 3 YARDS, 3 seconds... and that was before auto pistols became the norm... .
21 feet is a long self defense shot. An aggressive DA might not agree with it.
Florida Glockers, Wheelhouse, S&W, Snubbie #940
Dandapani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 18:37   #105
Landric
Supervisor?

Send a message via AIM to Landric
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandapani View Post
21 feet is a long self defense shot. An aggressive DA might not agree with it.
Of course that would be 7 yards, not three yards.

Since I last posted to this thread I have acquired a Ruger SP101 2 1/4" DAO .357. I haven't made it to the range yet to qualify, but once I do, I expect to carry it as a primary on a fairly regular basis. It will, of course, still be backed up by my trusty 37-2 Airweight. I don't expect to feel undergunned with two 5 shot snubbies and a couple of reloads.

I have also decided to try an IDPA match shooting SSR with my SP101 here soon. Reloads will be a combination of speed loaders and speed strips, just to see how things go. I fully expect to be trounced, but it will be worth it for the experience.
Mon: Do you carry chambered?, Tue: Can a cop write a ticket without his hat?, Wed: Should I carry a spare mag?, Thurs: I got stopped without "probably cause"., Fri: Will there be a Glock Carbine?, Sat: Why the GAP hate?, Sun: I hate the GAP.
Landric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:17   #106
Dandapani

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landric View Post
Of course that would be 7 yards, not three yards.
Yup. My bad. Sorry. Brain fart. Too many meds. Up too late. Not enough coffee....
Florida Glockers, Wheelhouse, S&W, Snubbie #940
Dandapani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:23   #107
Bannack

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonB View Post
Would any of you trade your snub for the new 380 LCP by Ruger?

G20SF, S&W SD9, S&W 637
Bannack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:10   #108
Landric
Supervisor?

Send a message via AIM to Landric
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonB View Post
Would any of you trade your snub for the new 380 LCP by Ruger?
Not even if I was convinced that the LCP, or any small auto for that matter, was as reliable as my snubbies. I'm not convinced of that of course, because in my experience such small autos are not as reliable.
Mon: Do you carry chambered?, Tue: Can a cop write a ticket without his hat?, Wed: Should I carry a spare mag?, Thurs: I got stopped without "probably cause"., Fri: Will there be a Glock Carbine?, Sat: Why the GAP hate?, Sun: I hate the GAP.
Landric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:23   #109
coltm4a3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spober View Post
my snubby is more often than not my night stand gun.i feel in a situation were im awakened by a threat in the middle of the night, the simple nature of a small revolver seems like a better alternative than a semi auto .

Care to explain why you feel this way? The whole purpose of a snubby is concealment, and for a nightstand/home defense gun there is no need for concealment. A full size auto, mainly my Glock 38 or 1911 .45 gets that duty for me....
coltm4a3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 03:41   #110
Gunboat1
Far Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltm4a3 View Post
Care to explain why you feel this way? The whole purpose of a snubby is concealment, and for a nightstand/home defense gun there is no need for concealment. A full size auto, mainly my Glock 38 or 1911 .45 gets that duty for me....
Exactly - Pick up a snub, point it, find the trigger, and pull.

Pick up a full-size Glock with 18 rounds available, longer sight radius, tritium sight capability, point it, find the trigger, and pull.

The line of reasoning seems to be "I like the snub, so despite any and all evidence to the contrary, I want to believe it is sufficient to the task. I'm not listening to you. If you can't do it with six..... etc."

Freedom is great - do what you want. I just hope that new people who are choosing based upon what they read or hear, choose wisely, with a full appreciation of the weight of collective experience.

"The sum of virtue is to be sociable with them that will be sociable, and formidable to them that will not." - Hobbes
Gunboat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:22   #111
h&kbama

I love Snubbies! The only time I have only a snubbie on my person, is when dress code dictates such (shirt tucked in for church, no jacket weather). Otherwise, if I am carrying a snubbie, it is only a secondary weapon. I live in a rural area where violent crimes against persons do occur, but not on a large scale. I would love to get another snubbie so when I can only carry the ol' J frame, at least I could have (2) on hand (one in pocket & one on the ankle). Just my 2 cents. Just to avoid the argument, I am not fond of belly bands, IWB holsters that one can tuck their shirt around and so forth. Pocket, ankle, or strong side hip OWB only for me.
Old 04-02-2009, 19:29   #112
watsoncb
CLM Number 40
Charter Lifetime Member

Send a message via MSN to watsoncb Send a message via Yahoo to watsoncb

442 with 2 Buffalo Bores and 3 of Hornaday's new 38spl defense rounds.
Glock Talk Charter Lifetime Member #40
Glockers of the Old Dominion #648
Smith & Wesson Club #648
Black Rifle Club #648
Kalashnikov Klub #648
The 10 Ring #648
Sub Club #648
watsoncb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 19:26   #113
LApm9

I regard five shots as enough. My strategy is not to win a shoot out, it is effect an escape. My use of a weapon is to prevent "them" from preventing my escape. By the second second I will be moving fast.

My dear departed daddy, who carried a weapon as an LEO for many decades, and used it, imparted two points to me:

1) The first aimed shot wins
2) If you use your weapon, the first time the other guy should know you have it is when he sees the flash (in answer to my obvious question: If you do it right he will not hear it.)

I still carry a speed strip, though.
LApm9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 07:25   #114
Glockanatorrrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bannack View Post
I second this!!!!! NO WAY!
Old 04-05-2009, 09:55   #115
ncligs

I feel comfortable with any of my three cc weapons below in my signature!

Glock 19 /CT Laser
Glock 26 /CT Laser
Kel Tec P3AT .380/CT Laser
ncligs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:56   #116
Berto
woo woo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunboat1 View Post
Exactly - Pick up a snub, point it, find the trigger, and pull.

Pick up a full-size Glock with 18 rounds available, longer sight radius, tritium sight capability, point it, find the trigger, and pull.

The line of reasoning seems to be "I like the snub, so despite any and all evidence to the contrary, I want to believe it is sufficient to the task. I'm not listening to you. If you can't do it with six..... etc."

Freedom is great - do what you want. I just hope that new people who are choosing based upon what they read or hear, choose wisely, with a full appreciation of the weight of collective experience.

His line of reasoning is based on his own sensibilities, experience and knowledge, yet you seem to assume to know better what he needs.
How is this?
Berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 12:08   #117
Gunboat1
Far Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berto View Post
His line of reasoning is based on his own sensibilities, experience and knowledge, yet you seem to assume to know better what he needs.
How is this?
We all inhabit the same physical world. The laws of physics and mathematics don't vary according to individual so-called "sensibilities." You can learn them and live by them, or you can ignore them at your peril.

I'm not talking to the individual snub owner who just looooooves his snub and isn't going to change his mind no matter what logic he is faced with. I'm talking to the noob who is trying to choose a weapon for self-defense. I'm hopeful that with some thought, that noob will choose a better weapon than a 5-shot snub as his ONLY weapon.

"The sum of virtue is to be sociable with them that will be sociable, and formidable to them that will not." - Hobbes
Gunboat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 12:52   #118
Tactician

If you don't feel under gunned, you are over confident no matter what you decide to carry. Do any of you folks go anywhere without a gun? My carry weapon varies by season, my wardrobe, and the threat environment. There is no one sized fits all weapon.

I'm old school. I carry a J frame quite often, but then again, I'm not going into real bad places either. People have to realize that you may not always prevail when faced with an overwhelming group of determined well armed people no matter what your weapons choice.

Usually, my truck is close by and my J frame would get me back for additional fire power if SHTF. If I am not close to additional weapons, I carry more fire power and magazines.

Here is the deal, tactics will serve you better than fire power. Most criminals run at the first sight of trouble. If they don't run, you should. If you have cover, it don't matter how many there are. If faced with overwhelming fire power, If I cannot get out of the situation, my next move is to acquire more weapons either from my stash or getting my hands on one of the bad guys guns.

People need to face the fact that you might not prevail in a gun fight no matter what you carry. Guns don't make you bullet proof. Speed is your friend and J frames can get in the fight early without drawing a weapon.
Tactician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 17:05   #119
JackC53
BOONDOCK SAINTS

Used to think that revolvers were for old farts so when I started my CCW "career" it was hi-cap semi-autos all the way. Got to shoot my friend's SP101 a few years back and now I own 2 of those (2 1/4" and 3 1/16") and 4 S&W snubbies. My 360PD W/CT grips is my carry piece at least 9 months of the year and I feel very safe with it. In the winter I'll usually go with my G19 or the SP101. I love my SP101 2 1/4" so much it's the only gun in my collection that has a Mitch Rosen holster to sleep in! lol.

I have my G21 with a light/laser setup on my nightstand and a Mossberg 590 ready in the safe. My personal preference for home defense is a shotgun but the G21 will give me plenty of time to get to the Mossy if needed. YMMV. The odds of me ever needing to defend myself with a gun are astronomical (I hope) but I'm a believer in being prepared...
Old 04-05-2009, 18:04   #120
LT642

I have been carrying a 642 j-frame and a speedloader/speedstrip off duty for many years. However, recent events have convinced me that I need to step it up a notch. I now carry my issued Glock 23 and a spare magazine off duty, the spare mag is a must if you carry an auto should you have a magazine failure.
I always thought I was well protected and truth be known I was, however I have to say the Glock is much more comforting than the j-frame.
I read people say if I'm just going out to pick up a paper, etc. I'll grab my _________,
but, if you need a gun you need a gun,period and you may wish you had taken the time to carry a combat ready pistol vs. a bug.
I ordered a new iwb holster and have commited to the Glock, I hope this helps.
Stay safe.
LT642 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 18:11   #121
FLGUY
The Gabagool

Based on where I live and where I usually go, carrying my 19 is not always convenient. I feel confident with my 642 tucked in a pocket holster with +P .38 and 10 more in 2 auto loaders. I figure I'll be able to handle most (maybe not all) SD situations that might occur. Sometimes I do carry the 642 as backup to the 19.
FLGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 18:17   #122
RemSp10
Ok I give up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT642 View Post
I have been carrying a 642 j-frame and a speedloader/speedstrip off duty for many years. However, recent events have convinced me that I need to step it up a notch. I now carry my issued Glock 23 and a spare magazine off duty, the spare mag is a must if you carry an auto should you have a magazine failure.
I always thought I was well protected and truth be known I was, however I have to say the Glock is much more comforting than the j-frame.
I read people say if I'm just going out to pick up a paper, etc. I'll grab my _________,
but, if you need a gun you need a gun,period and you may wish you had taken the time to carry a combat ready pistol vs. a bug.
I ordered a new iwb holster and have commited to the Glock, I hope this helps.
Stay safe.
This is how i feel now. my .38 has been with me everwhere.
Now either my 22 or 19 leave the house with me.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:32   #123
Berto
woo woo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunboat1 View Post
We all inhabit the same physical world. The laws of physics and mathematics don't vary according to individual so-called "sensibilities." You can learn them and live by them, or you can ignore them at your peril.

I'm not talking to the individual snub owner who just looooooves his snub and isn't going to change his mind no matter what logic he is faced with. I'm talking to the noob who is trying to choose a weapon for self-defense. I'm hopeful that with some thought, that noob will choose a better weapon than a 5-shot snub as his ONLY weapon.

Unfortunately, you seem to assume you know more than every individual that chooses a snub. Most handguns are a compromise.
For a small handgun, the snub is a good choice given the required practice.
Many very well respected instructors would agree with this...and they understand the laws of physics and mathematics likely as well as you do.

Maybe you should write a book, for all the noobs.
Berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 19:42   #124
fowler

Its enough and all you hope you never have to use.
fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 15:16   #125
NFrameFred

Never had to actually point it or use it, but was faced with a situation where my 5 shot J frame felt woefully puny in my hand as I pondered whether or not the individual on the other side of the door was going to make me find out how effective it was. At that moment I wished it had been my model 29.

But and however, I have enough confidence in my abilities and common sense to know that it's not practical for me to always have my 12 gauge or my model 29 at arms length, but I can and do keep my airweight J Frame with me at all times.

The biggest one you have in the safe is useless when you need it on the street. And the one you have and the one you'll constantly have is better than the one you leave behind occasionally because it's too big, it prints too easy, it's too heavy, it's blah, blah, blah - not WITH you.

Guess I'm not a tough guy - if I'm in a fight for my life I'm going to feel undergunned with anything that isn't shoulder fired . . . . or crew served

Last edited by NFrameFred; 04-24-2009 at 15:19..
NFrameFred is offline   Reply With Quote