Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-30-2008, 20:52   #81
J.P.
Intergalactic

As a primary, yes, I feel undergunned with a snub...even my .44special.
As a backup, it'll do just fine.

5-6 shots in 2 seconds done...then what? reload?

No thanks.
Old 08-30-2008, 21:16   #82
1canvas

i don't feel comfortable with a .38 snub and not much better with my .357 j frame either. so i bought a g-23 to fill in some times when my colt .45 is to much and i want something a more than my j frames. that has worked out real good for me.
that said, on my lowest risk travels i carry j frames, anything else its the 23 or the colt.
1canvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 11:13   #83
Hydraulicman

Send a message via AIM to Hydraulicman
no because I can draw it faster than any of my autos.
Old 09-09-2008, 18:48   #84
Two Guns
VIP MEMBER

No I don't feel under gunned with my J frame.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:43   #85
Chup

I still like my Snubs the best. The norm is a 7 shot 357 and One or Two J frames. I keep the G26 in my Glove Box for Road Hazards or carry it when I only want One Gun.
Chup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 13:38   #86
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

I've carried a 649 as a primary, with reloads. Not my favorite but the other option was a G30 and in the situations at the time, could not be effectively hidden.

I more often carried it as a backup to the 30 during winter, in an outer jacket pocket (Hand in pocket, hand on gun philosophy) because i could get to it faster. 5 shots of .38 followed up by 11 rounds of .45 isn't too bad.

The one time it all hit the fan, 4 of them, 3 of us, my other two were hand to hand with 3 of them, #4 looked like he was about to bring "more" into play from inside the car and I stepped out of the vehicle to draw and get a clear shot. Apparently the motion of drawing and my general appearance (young guy in his 20s, flat top haircut) to them = cop and they all vanished before I had to find out if 21 rounds of .45 ACP would have sufficed in a nighttime firefight.

Three of them (in the same car) were later arrested (2 weeks later) for a fatal drive-by and had rap sheets several pages long.

I started carrying 2 spare mags after that, and rarely carried a snub or small auto for quite some time. I'd carry a 642 for backup or if nothing else would do, but a G26 or maybe a Walther PPS and a pair of spare mags would be more likely. I'm a better shot with better sights on a small auto, and the reload is more rounds, and faster.

There are still places where a snub excels, but I'll never carry one as a primary unless nothing else fits.

And of the two other guys......1 had his permit already submitted (been carrying for years now) and the other became a cop.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 09:36   #87
shark_za
Woes

Yes but it should stop any attack long enough to give me a head start when I run like the wind outta there.

I live I win.
shark_za is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 18:58   #88
fredobbs

i feel good with my laser equipped 340mp
fredobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 22:58   #89
Landric
Supervisor?

Send a message via AIM to Landric
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunboat1 View Post
You're entitled to your opinion. How one trains and prepares for a fight we hope will never come does not equal a dispassionate analysis of the overwhelming majority of criminals and criminal assaults. Show me an example of where several thugs have trained together, armed themselves in overwhelming firepower and complementary systems, and then have performed during a fight like a tactical team would. It simply doesn't happen much. North Hollywood is about the only example I can think of, and that was pretty much unique. And they weren't mugging an individual - they were robbing a bank. Newhall, Miami, hell even Columbine don't apply. And most criminals' experience has been with UNARMED, UNTRAINED victims. That doesn't prepare them to win against a warrior...
OK, not too long ago in the small North Carolina city I work in, a group of thugs hit a rival drug dealer's house. They cut the phone lines before they hit, two hit the front door and two hit the back door at the same time, they were armed with military-style rifles and shotguns. The rival dealer and his pals, no strangers to police take-down tactics, said that they thought they were being raided by the police when they were hit.

Now, in this particular case I don't feel too sorry for the "victims", they brought it on themselves; but if the thugs hit them like that, they could do it to anyone they saw as profitable. It happens, not a lot, but its frequency is increasing.

With regard to the original question, I don't generally carry just a J-frame because I don't feel comfortable with just the J. I'm sure in most situations it would be sufficient, but I'd hate to find myself in one of the few where it wasn't. It really isn't that hard to carry a slightly larger, more effective handgun (which in my case would be in addition to the J-frame, not instead of it). That said, I don't carry the latest and greatest mega-capacity auto off duty. I'm currently qualified with 3 personally owned weapons (in addition to the handgun, rifle, and shotgun the PD issued me). The three are: a S&W 37-2 DAO Airweight (which is my on and off-duty BUG), a H&K P7 9x19mm, and a Glock 36 .45ACP. One will note that the largest capacity of any of the three, when fully loaded, is 9 rounds. Normally, I carry one spare mag for my primary gun and one speed strip for the J-frame. Since I live in my jurisdiction and do most of my shopping and such here, I also usually carry handcuffs and OC off-duty. I'm not planning on taking police action off-duty unless I have no choice, but one never knows when I might run into a co-worker who needs help while I'm off, and I like to be prepared.
Mon: Do you carry chambered?, Tue: Can a cop write a ticket without his hat?, Wed: Should I carry a spare mag?, Thurs: I got stopped without "probably cause"., Fri: Will there be a Glock Carbine?, Sat: Why the GAP hate?, Sun: I hate the GAP.
Landric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 18:39   #90
g36user

I've enjoyed reading the posts.

I'm now carrying a 2" .45acp revolver. No, I don't "feel" under gunned. My geographic circumstances don't match many of the "worst case" scenarios expressed in previous posts. And...there's just something about a Remington 230gr Golden Saber hollow point that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy

Chuck
Old 12-03-2008, 19:13   #91
alank2

Hi,

There is no way to determine "undergunned" or not as it depends on what situation you are presented with. One nut job that you can use 3 or 4 of your rounds on and still have one round remaining would probably be handled well by a snub. Two bad guys could *probably* be able to be handled if you had the skill. Three or more gets tougher as you will run out of the 5 rounds pretty quick. Heck, I feel like those 5 go way too fast at the range, I sure know it would be an issue in a bad situation. I also agree with the people who say it would be very difficult to reload a j-frame under stress. I always carry a speed strip with me when I only carry my 442, but I am under no dilusion that I will be reloading it quickly, just that I will have the rounds if I have the TIME to reload it.

I love my 442 and it fits so quick in the pocket, it is a dream to carry, but it lacks when being compared to a gun like the G26, G27, G33. I do think snubs are much better than most small mouse gun autos. I admit to carrying my 442 as a primary more than I should, that is risk in having a snub which is that you will get lazy about carrying and just carry it when you know full well that it is not as capable as a true belt gun would be.

Good luck,

Alan

Last edited by alank2; 12-09-2008 at 19:49..
alank2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 18:55   #92
spober

my snubby is more often than not my night stand gun.i feel in a situation were im awakened by a threat in the middle of the night, the simple nature of a small revolver seems like a better alternative than a semi auto .
spober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 12:45   #93
fowler

If you can,t hit what you aim at a 17 shot auto won,t help you! I feel my snub is good enough for 3 perp,s with 2 rounds left over for coup-de-grace if needed. 5 for sure is enough. How about your auto that won,t fire when pushed into a perp or in the stuggle your mag release is pushed . Oh yes it doe,s happen.
fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 13:40   #94
SIGSAREBETTER
Teh Pieman

Send a message via AIM to SIGSAREBETTER

Most of the time I feel more than adequate, particularly since I've spent a lot of time developing skill with the 638 I carry. But in the really shady parts of Tacoma where there are roving bands of urban clowns, I always long for my GLOCK 20 or SIG.
SIGSAREBETTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 15:41   #95
Gunboat1
Far Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by fowler View Post
If you can,t hit what you aim at a 17 shot auto won,t help you! I feel my snub is good enough for 3 perp,s with 2 rounds left over for coup-de-grace if needed. 5 for sure is enough. How about your auto that won,t fire when pushed into a perp or in the stuggle your mag release is pushed . Oh yes it doe,s happen.
Ah, I understand. People only shoot high-capacity semiautos to cover up for their poor marksmanship. A short barrel, long, stiff trigger and marginal sights will result in perfect hits, and all one-shot stops from a middling-powerful caliber fired from that short barrel will definitely happen, assuring you of winning over three attackers, with two shots left over for coups de grace.

That's certainly realistic.

Perhaps, just perhaps, a weapon with more barrel length, better sights and trigger, a much faster reload and many more shots on tap might be a better weapon with which to defend one's life?

Nahhhh.

"The sum of virtue is to be sociable with them that will be sociable, and formidable to them that will not." - Hobbes
Gunboat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 17:32   #96
17z

I carry a .500 S&W in a 2.5 inch barrel. I love the one shot to3 it gives. 17z
17z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 01:38   #97
1911govt

I carry a S&W 642 5 days out of the week. Absolute concealment is a must for me Mon-Fri. If my company's policy were to miraculously change in favor of the 2a, I'd be packing a full sized 1911. Yes I do feel a little under gunned, but what I have is 10X better than a cell phone and prayers.
1911govt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 13:03   #98
50 Cent

Taurus 856?

How about the new Taurus 6 shot snubby based on the M85 frame? If six shots won't get you out of trouble in a civilian SD situation then either you should have stayed at home or concealed an underfolding Krink under your arm.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:39   #99
Bannack

Nope, don't feel undergunned and most of the time my 642 with a couple of speed loaders is all I have with me now.
Bannack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 23:24   #100
Tank44
Tank44

I never feel under gunned with my SP101 snubby! A Federal 357B round makes a nice hole. If I need more than 5 shots and 2 quick re-loads, I figure I'm in bigger trouble than the gun is gonna help me with.
Sometimes I sit and think. Sometimes I just sit.
Tank44 is offline   Reply With Quote