Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-26-2008, 00:14   #1
badge4436

Do You Feel "Undergunned" carrying the Snubbie?

I have heard people say the snubbie is very convenient to carry but they felt undergunned while relying on it alone. When you consider your lifestyle-- where you go in your personal and business affairs, is this really an issue?

I make a point of staying out of situations and places I know have a credible and probable likelihood of a confrontation with criminals. Just about all of us have an area in town you want to stay out of. Having carried a gun both in patrol and as a detective for 30 years I don't feel undergunned with the J-Frame. I would have had to be deaf and blind not to get a "street sense" in all that time. I wasn't sitting behind a desk. The snubbie suits me just fine now that I am retired. I practice often with it and am fast and accurate with it. Fast in shooting and in reloading. Nothing unique there, just a matter of practice.

How many of you feel comfortable with just the snubbie when you go out and how many of you feel undergunned?
badge4436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 02:37   #2
G33
CLM Number 296
Re-Assigned

Feel fine with snub.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

"I'd wager G would waterboard a salmon."--tous

"...those without swords can still die upon them." --Eowyn
G33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 02:50   #3
mitchshrader
Deceased

uhm. yes. i cheat. pachmayer boot grips and a 3" barrel and heavy loads, +P 158s.

i'd rather have a 4" pencil barrel round butt model 10 with the same loads, and will when i find it.
Old 01-26-2008, 03:03   #4
RemSp10
Ok I give up

undergunned heck no.
my snubby works great for me.
but still like to carry my colt .45 and 19 at times.
Old 01-26-2008, 03:06   #5
Goldendog Redux
Shut your mouth

I never feel undergunned with my 642. Granted I usually have a 1911 with me as well.

Really though, just tooling around town I do not feel undergunned with my Smiff, I can shoot it well and I figure five rounds of .38+P stuck in a bad guy should go a long way in stopping th bad guy from doing what he is doing.

MF
Old 01-26-2008, 03:13   #6
ok47s

Quote:
Originally Posted by badge4436 View Post
I have heard people say the snubbie is very convenient to carry but they felt undergunned while relying on it alone. When you consider your lifestyle-- where you go in your personal and business affairs, is this really an issue?

I make a point of staying out of situations and places I know have a credible and probable likelihood of a confrontation with criminals. Just about all of us have an area in town you want to stay out of. Having carried a gun both in patrol and as a detective for 30 years I don't feel undergunned with the J-Frame. I would have had to be deaf and blind not to get a "street sense" in all that time. I wasn't sitting behind a desk. The snubbie suits me just fine now that I am retired. I practice often with it and am fast and accurate with it. Fast in shooting and in reloading. Nothing unique there, just a matter of practice.

How many of you feel comfortable with just the snubbie when you go out and how many of you feel undergunned?
My comfort zone with the snub as a primary weapon for ccw continues to decrease as the number of armed attacks involving multiple criminals increase.My snub now serves as a pocket carry back-up.
ok47s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 07:32   #7
Gunboat1
Far Traveler

Yes. A snub is really not enough, because 5 rounds is all you are likely to be able to use. Ever try to reload a snub under extreme stress? It ain't likely to happen.

Mine is used only when I can't carry a Glock that is more effective (and ANY Glock is). Whenever those occasions occur, I do feel undergunned.

Criminals run in packs these days. Misses happen. And one round rarely solves the problem with a determined bad guy. Somewhere in that arithmetic, you drop the hammer on an empty chamber, and that ain't a good thing.

"The sum of virtue is to be sociable with them that will be sociable, and formidable to them that will not." - Hobbes
Gunboat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 08:34   #8
h2o-5o
Owned by Pugs

IMO, a realistic analysis of a SD situation leaves me comfortable with a J-frame. To use deadly force against someone, you must be able to articulate why you felt your life was in immediate danger. Quite frankly, if three or more assailants are using weapons against me, I really don't think I could draw a $2000 custom 1911 from concealment and stop them, at least not before at least one would be able to pull the trigger.

On the other hand, if proper tactics and cover are utilized, in all likelihood the rest will turn tail and run, after I fire the first shot into one of them.

I am firmly convinced that a large percentage of folks who tout the "latest and greatest" autoloader, are envisioning themselves being Todd Jarrett or Rob Leatham at an IPSC event.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:46   #9
Gunboat1
Far Traveler

Many, many average men have won fights against superior numbers - if their weapon was capable of it. You can't use capability you aren't carrying. The fight in the dog is more important than the dog in the fight - but if your weapon runs dry, you are pretty much done.

"I probably won't need more firepower" sucks as an epitaph.

"The sum of virtue is to be sociable with them that will be sociable, and formidable to them that will not." - Hobbes
Old 01-26-2008, 08:52   #10
Glockanatorrrrr

Let me shoot you with it. Tell me what you think. I have heard this before but for me it's a carry gun while at work and a BUG when off. I carry a speed loader and a speed strip so 15 shots. I have a 340pd so 5 of .38+p or .357 I feel fine with this gun.

To each there own though. I used to pocket carry a P3at and felt undergunned so I swithed to the 340pd.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:41   #11
MCPreacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunboat1 View Post
The fight in the dog is more important than the dog in the fight
While a very amusing saying, it doesn't really fit the situation.

When pitting a rottweiler against a chihuahua, the willingness to fight doesn't do the chihuahua a lot of good....
G36 Club 47
Snubbie Club 001
MCPreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 11:18   #12
Berto
woo woo

I'd imagine any gun won't feel like enough when a gunfight happens.
As it's been, I didn't need to shoot and the snubby sufficied.
The idea that 3-4 guys are going to stand around stoically while you empty your gun into one of them is also a bit of a sretch, be it a snubby or Mac 10.
I carry what I can, usually it's a five shooter.
Old 01-26-2008, 13:47   #13
stmcelroy
Holster Maker

The majority of the time I feel well armed with my little 340PD, for the times I don't I still have my Glock 19.

stmcelroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 16:09   #14
G27Chief
Lifetime Membership

J frame comfort level

In as much as I regulate mine to the defense of myself and others, and not for use as a SWAT entry gun I feel well armed. I have to admit it is rarely the only gun I have on, however when it is I feel well armed for the situations I have been in. I have to generalize, becuase I carry one of the many j frame .38's I own.
Old 01-26-2008, 17:14   #15
DeadMansLife

Yes, I do feel under gunned with my SP101. I only carry a snub if I cannot carry something bigger. Also. part of my plan is to use the snub to get so my G31 of Mossy either in the car or house.

[/B] *
DeadMansLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 18:52   #16
rob700

Currently torn between a Glock 23 and a S+W airweights to compliment my Glock 27. Can't come to grips with 5 shots vs multiple mags.

The snub would be ideal as a day to day CCW.

At night the G27 and a S+W pocket rocket would seem ideal for some of my nightime photography excursions which attract the enevitable homeless vampire or werewolf. They worry me less than the organized thugs.

I figure a little shock and awe to give me enough time to draw the Glock.

My Taurus 85 is totally unreliable... so thus my dilemma.
rob700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 19:26   #17
G27Chief
Lifetime Membership

OK class tell me at what distance and how many rounds are fired on average in a defensive gunfight?

Last edited by G27Chief; 01-26-2008 at 19:34..
G27Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 19:40   #18
RemSp10
Ok I give up

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2o-5o View Post
IMO, a realistic analysis of a SD situation leaves me comfortable with a J-frame. To use deadly force against someone, you must be able to articulate why you felt your life was in immediate danger. Quite frankly, if three or more assailants are using weapons against me, I really don't think I could draw a $2000 custom 1911 from concealment and stop them, at least not before at least one would be able to pull the trigger.

On the other hand, if proper tactics and cover are utilized, in all likelihood the rest will turn tail and run, after I fire the first shot into one of them.

I am firmly convinced that a large percentage of folks who tout the "latest and greatest" autoloader, are envisioning themselves being Todd Jarrett or Rob Leatham at an IPSC event.
I must say that this post better describes any of them so far.
And yes most of the other posts have some valid points but this one seems to me the most logical. Most "gun fights" wont last past a few rounds or so i don't think. (IMHO only )
One poster mentioned useing their .38 until they can get to their auto that is in the car or house,by that time it is either too late or the BG is gone.
just my nickels worth for what its worth.
Old 01-26-2008, 19:52   #19
Gunboat1
Far Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCPreacher View Post
While a very amusing saying, it doesn't really fit the situation.

When pitting a rottweiler against a chihuahua, the willingness to fight doesn't do the chihuahua a lot of good....
My point exactly. The will to fight is the most important variable - but even with it, if your equipment isn't sufficient to the task, you will come up short. A 5-shot snub might be enough for an "average" gunfight. But what if your assailant(s) are above average criminals?

5 ain't enough.

I say again: "I probably won't need more firepower" sucks as an epitaph.

Old 01-26-2008, 20:01   #20
RemSp10
Ok I give up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunboat1 View Post
My point exactly. The will to fight is the most important variable - but even with it, if your equipment isn't sufficient to the task, you will come up short. A 5-shot snub might be enough for an "average" gunfight. But what if your assailant(s) are above average criminals?
5 ain't enough.

I say again: "I probably won't need more firepower" sucks as an epitaph.
Average , Above Average. ???????????????.

Any body out there ever been in a "gun fight" with the BG'S. (Maybe a new thread on this question and share your experiance with us. Not looking for any "what if" "or " stuff .just what took place how long it lasted and such.)

Last edited by RemSp10; 01-26-2008 at 20:08..
RemSp10 is offline   Reply With Quote