Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-07-2014, 18:59   #1
NitLion

Canik TP-9 - Love It!

Picked up my Canik TP-9 from my FFL this morning and out to the range I went.
What great value! I bought it from Aimsurplus for $319...$10 shipping and $17.50 for the transfer/paperwork. So for under $350 out the door, I got a new 9mm pistol with two 18 round Mec-Gar magazines. The package also came with a Serpa style holster that you can connect to a belt slide or a paddle -I used the paddle! (also included!) Came with an extra back-strap which I assume is larger.... it actually looked the same size to me. I kept the one on that came installed. It also came with two additional front sights and the tool to change them if you need height adjustment. The rear sight is screw-adjustable for windage.
It really needed no adjustment though...it seems to shoot on so far.
Anyway, I broke it down quickly and put a little Ballistol here and there, reassembled and then loaded up the mags. The last round is very stiff getting into the mag - even with the Uplula mag loader!
Here it is at the range:
The Niner's Club

Here is my first 5 shots at ten yards:
The Niner's Club

Horrible cell phone pic but you can see the group anyway.

Interesting trigger on this pistol. You can push it back and it will click into a staged position where it becomes a short single action pull from there. Nutnfancy of Youtube fame has a good video of this and much like he said, it is still a stiff pull after that... but it doesn't seem that bad or seem to hinder accuracy. The re-set is very short. Here is my first two shots on steel at 16-17 yards:
The Niner's Club
I actually never missed that steel target all day and put about 29-30 shots on it. I had another 8" round steel target off to the left about one yard closer to me and I only missed it twice in the same amount of shots. Here was my best five shot group at 10 yards:

The Niner's Club

That is (as best I could measure) 13/16ths of an inch!!

I shot 50 rounds of CCI Speer Lawmen - 124g - TMJ and 50 rounds of RWS - 124g - FMJ with not one hiccup. I then fired 50 rounds of Federal Champion -115g - FMJ. I had been loading the magazines full, putting one in the chamber and then topping of the magazine for a full 18+1! With the Federal, It was very difficult to rack the slide with a full magazine. I muscled one in the chamber and then topped off the mag. I wondered if the slide would strip that top round out of the magazine after firing since I had such a hard time moving the slide to load it. It didn't. I think maybe a hotter round may have...and if I had just loaded the magazine down one, it would have worked for sure. That was the one and only bobble - everything else fed, fired and extracted flawlessly. I am very happy with this gun! The last gun that I paid this amount for (NEW) that worked this well was a Ruger P89...but that was in 1997 (yeh... 17 years ago). Here is one last shot of that 10 yard grouping:

The Niner's Club
TOP GUNS 357SIG Club #5
Pa. Glockers #65

Last edited by NitLion; 12-19-2014 at 20:55..
NitLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 16:46   #2
joegerardi
Lifetime Membership

Send a message via ICQ to joegerardi
I got one (Desert Tan) too. Love it also. In fact, I'm thinking of springing for a second one in Titanium. The price and the gun are both that good.

..Joe
joegerardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 19:42   #3
NitLion

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegerardi View Post
I got one (Desert Tan) too. Love it also. In fact, I'm thinking of springing for a second one in Titanium. The price and the gun are both that good.

..Joe
We must think alike... I also like the Titanium version!
TOP GUNS 357SIG Club #5
Pa. Glockers #65
NitLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 14:50   #4
joegerardi
Lifetime Membership

Problem is, they're starting to get popular: getting hard to find them.

..Joe
Old 06-30-2014, 15:22   #5
itstime

I went to tw last show looking for one. I'm very interested in getting one.

All the reviews seem favorable.

Congrats.

And damn you. I want one more now.

Congrats again.
itstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:10   #6
joegerardi
Lifetime Membership

I've been looking at addressing the only issue people have- the trigger. If the slide is removed, then the trigger pull in just the frame is probably no more than a pound, so the problem is in the striker area. Now, I'm partners in my second plane with a hell of an aircraft mechanic, and he's also a shooter. The combination of his skills might be the answer. He thinks some valve lapping compound on the striker might polish it down quite enough to make the trigger - if not as good as the Walther's - quite acceptable. I mean in the 4-5 pound in SA, and 8-9 in DA modes. Combined with the incredibly short reset (maybe a millimeter?) that will make the trigger awesome.

And if that's the case, then it will really start to be a great pistol. That's the good news.

The bad news is that I will definitely want a second one then! :-)

..Joe

PS: Long but good video review: