Home Forums Classifieds GT Store Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-24-2015, 17:55   #1
MinervaDoe

Article on Best EDC knife

Take it for what it is. They're opinion may vary widely from your own.

http://gearpatrol.com/2015/03/24/bes...-carry-knives/
MinervaDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 19:04   #2
Glock-O-Rican
GLOCKAHOLIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinervaDoe View Post
Take it for what it is. They're opinion may vary widely from your own.

http://gearpatrol.com/2015/03/24/bes...-carry-knives/
Author of articals personal opinion. My favorite EDC is what is in my pockt at the moment I need a sharp edge to opn a box, or evelope at the post office.

Hopefully I will never ever have to use my EDC for self defence.
Old 03-24-2015, 21:27   #3
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

My favorite EDC is my Swiss Army Knife Camper. The toothpick is invaluable. As is the scissor.
Old 03-24-2015, 21:54   #4
ewetstone

Here in CT we cant carry a knife with more than a 4" blade, fixed or folder I believe.

I have several fixed knives I would like to carry but the blades are to long.
ewetstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 23:09   #5
JimBianchi
CLM Number 25
Da Da

I bought the GLOCKTALK Spyderco Endura years ago when Eric had them special ordered. I've carried it every day since.

Great knife. (I've lost it three times, and keep finding it. Once for almost six months! Found it Under the carpet of my truck. I was picking gum out of the carpet and there it was)
SAF

The scariest words in the English language: I'm from the government and I'm here to help! President Ronald Reagan
JimBianchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 05:04   #6
Kentguy

The author Amos Kwon, pretty much sums it up the "EDC" in this opening statement;

"...It opens packages, cuts rope or cord, carves food when needed and, heaven forbid, can help defend against an assailant. An EDC knife should be slim enough to carry without being cumbersome, but still be accessible and functional..."

MinervaDoe, The knives he posted in his article certainly have that definition covered. But like you pointed out (and I agree) "opinions will vary" and that's fine.

I do have to say that the last item on my list of a "must be able to" when it comes to my EDC is to be used in a defensive situation. Lets face it any knife can do that if it really had to - not to say I'd try to fend off a would-be assailant with a butter knife. But I think you know what I mean.

In other posts I pointed out for 2015 I am carrying the Kershaw Cryo II, so far it had lived up to the advertizing that I heard before I purchased it.

Last edited by Kentguy; 03-25-2015 at 05:06..
Kentguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 10:47   #7
MinervaDoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentguy View Post
The author Amos Kwon, pretty much sums it up the "EDC" in this opening statement;

"...It opens packages, cuts rope or cord, carves food when needed and, heaven forbid, can help defend against an assailant. An EDC knife should be slim enough to carry without being cumbersome, but still be accessible and functional..."
The author referred to a Benchmade 530, which I own, and the knife is really handy. It's unobtrusive enough so that you can carry it all the time, and while it makes a great letter opener, it's razor sharp and fairly versatile.

Quote:
I do have to say that the last item on my list of a "must be able to" when it comes to my EDC is to be used in a defensive situation. Lets face it any knife can do that if it really had to - not to say I'd try to fend off a would-be assailant with a butter knife. But I think you know what I mean.
One of the guys that I used to practice Aikido with was a police Koga instructor. The stuff he could do with one of those Kubotans looked very effective. I'm pretty sure he could take me out using the handle of a butter knife.

Quote:
In other posts I pointed out for 2015 I am carrying the Kershaw Cryo II, so far it had lived up to the advertising that I heard before I purchased it.
The Kershaws offer amazing value. I must own four or five of them. Because of their price, I don't mind letting them get beat up a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBianchi View Post
I bought the GLOCKTALK Spyderco Endura years ago when Eric had them special ordered. I've carried it every day since.

Great knife.
I picked up an Endura4 in January. I haven't used it much, but it has typical Spyderco high quality, and I think it's a really nice knife. It's between my Griptilian and my Endura as to which knife I carry in my hiking fanny pack, but the Griptilian fits my hand a little better, so I throw it in more often..

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
My favorite EDC is my Swiss Army Knife Camper. The toothpick is invaluable. As is the scissor.
I'm torn between a multitool with scissors or pliers for every day carry. But, I tend to need scissors a lot more, so I mostly carry a little Gerber Shortcut. The Buck Spitfire and Boker Urban Trapper both caught my eye, but like your saying a multitool is actually a lot more useful. That's why I still have my eye out for a multitool that has a decently designed locking knife blade in it. The Leatherman Freestyle looks good, but again, no scissors. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/672...tainless-steel
Also, for hiking, pruning sheers would be nice, but I've found multitool pruning sheers to wear out really fast. Here's a pair I'm curious about; the Real Advid multi cutter looks to have a decent knife blade. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/253...ter-multi-tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock-O-Rican View Post
Author of articles personal opinion. My favorite EDC is what is in my pocket at the moment I need a sharp edge to open a box, or envelope at the post office.
Which one do you carry?
Old Yesterday, 19:25   #8
racer88
NRA & SAF mbr

Not a single Spydie on the list. Booooooo!

My current EDC is the new Spyderco Schempp Bowie. It's a beaut!
Before that I was carrying the Spyderco Domino, which is a fantastic knife.
racer88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 19:45   #9
MinervaDoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer88 View Post
Not a single Spydie on the list. Booooooo!

My current EDC is the new Spyderco Schempp Bowie. It's a beaut!
Before that I was carrying the Spyderco Domino, which is a fantastic knife.
Nice. Even Crocodile Dundee couldn't give you a hard time about that knife. I think I own four Spyderco knives. Any one of them would be an excellent EDC knife.

The Cutting Edge
Old Yesterday, 20:23   #10
racer88
NRA & SAF mbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinervaDoe View Post
Nice. Even Crocodile Dundee couldn't give you a hard time about that knife. I think I own four Spyderco knives. Any one of them would be an excellent EDC knife.
Yep.... as soon as I saw it, I had to have it. And, it went straight to my pocket. Brass is already scratched and developing a patina. I've got about 50 Spydercos at this point. Many have never made it into the rotation, yet. I find one I like and I tend to stick with it for a while. The Domino was my EDC for at least a year until this Bowie came out. The Bowie is on the bigger side of the spectrum, but with the wire clip, it carries deep in the pocket, and is stealthy.

Last edited by racer88; Yesterday at 20:33..
racer88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 20:38   #11
JMag

Almost bought the BM 531BK today. Still might.
JMag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 20:39   #12
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
Classless POS®

Because I's not a distinguished gentleman....
The Cutting Edge

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Every day that you wait, you're falling faster. No sleight of hand, no twist of fate, no ever after. When it's gone, it's gone. A fight to the bitter end... Life won't wait for you, no life won't wait for you, my friend.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote