Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-11-2014, 21:27   #1
boomchakabowwow

sent my cheap Mora knife thru a deer.

i bowhunted successfully, and tipped over a buck. (my first!)

anyways, to the knife. i got my brother and myself each a Mora. why? cuz they were about $14 each, with shipping. i gutted trout, and wild turkey..but no big animals. they are friggen sharp to begin with..i had ZERO idea what a Scandi grind is or was..googled it.

anyways, the MORA, or scandi grind is my new favorite. i gutted that deer QUICK!! at the rib cage, using a cheap knife, you take liberties. i kept going, right thru the ribs. just fisted the knife hard and pushed it up all the way thru the rib cage. quick cuts on the insides and the guts came out clean.

i got the buck out, and then skinned it, and broke it down. i only stopped to touch up the edge once. not cuz i need to..but i needed a break and stand up to stretch. i used an Accusharp (made for convex grinds) and just a few wipes.it was back to scary..i then cut my pinkie finger. deep..no pain. clean cut. cleaned it, wrapped it..put on a nitrile glove and finished.

i finally remembered the knife and used a waterstone and put an amazing edge back on..sharper than stock.

i love the thing. it's cheap, so i dont mind taping it thur bone with a rock .

i want a custom scandi grind knife..maybe a Woodsman Pro,but man..it will have to be amazing to get me to jump.

even the plastic sheath has a purpose. it is so easy to clean of deer blood. leather would be wasted dirty. hehe.
best knife for the money, hands down.

bonus..i think it weighs 13 oz, so it is an awesome backpack knife. i can cut off the belt hook and make it lighter.

Last edited by boomchakabowwow; 09-11-2014 at 21:29..
boomchakabowwow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 19:11   #2
droptrd

Love my moras. Ive never done a deer with one but Ive breasted more ducks than I can count with moras. a couple few turkeys too. Are you using a carbon or stainless mora?
droptrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 19:28   #3
Leigh

About 10 years ago I used Moras and thought, "Man, these are some underrated knives!"

Not so...in the years since, I've seen many folks who know what they are doing using them quite capably.

Of course, they are not a batoning tool or a sharpened pry bar (there are plenty of those on the market) but for CUTTING and SLICING, they are hard to beat.
Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 21:32   #4
boomchakabowwow

Quote:
Originally Posted by droptrd View Post
Love my moras. Ive never done a deer with one but Ive breasted more ducks than I can count with moras. a couple few turkeys too. Are you using a carbon or stainless mora?
mine is a carbon model.

i forced a patina by sticking it into one of my gigantic lemons for about half and hour. the thing is great.

i have a buddy that cut carpet with his. hahah..it sharpened back to 100%

i've been looking at woodbear knives and LT Wrights for a better scandi blade knife..one with more "cool points"..but i cant really justify it right now. not when i KNOW my cheap knife will work just as well, and i am not afraid to really use it.
boomchakabowwow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 21:46   #5
Joshhtn
The eBay Guy

I have many laying around the house and in gear bags. They work and are inexpensive.

Congrats on the buck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Joshhtn is offline   Reply With Quote