SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-06-2015, 16:50   #1
SIGMA 40
Grits and Gravy

Foreign made knives

Ordered a Buck Canoe and upon receiving it I realized it was made in China... It seems to be a nice knife, well built... However, it's still a Buck made in China... Anyone else have a problem withy China made knives or am I just being ridiculous?
SIGMA 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 20:10   #2
Benton

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGMA 40 View Post
Ordered a Buck Canoe and upon receiving it I realized it was made in China... It seems to be a nice knife, well built... However, it's still a Buck made in China... Anyone else have a problem withy China made knives or am I just being ridiculous?
Always ask which country the product is made in when ordering
on phone or internet.
Having said that, I will not buy a knife or anything else made in
Commie China, Taiwan, Pakistan, Bangladesh, etc.
A lot of CRKT, and Gerbers are made in sub standard countries
listed above. I like Benchmade and Pro Tech for folders.
Plenty of made in USA quality knives available.
Benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 20:44   #3
rednoved
NRA Member

You're not alone. I hate that a couple of my Buck knives are made in China. I love the knives, just hate that they say China on them. When I grabbed them off the shelf, I didn't pay attention to the packaging. I have a Buck Noblemen and a Buck Solo that were made in China, but didn't realize at the time of purchase. I have I Buck Redpoint that I purchased knowing it was made in China, but I just wanted it for a cheap utility knife to throw in the camping bag. I liked the features. USA made would have been nice.
rednoved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 10:43   #4
SIGMA 40
Grits and Gravy

I took the knife to my maintenance guy at work and he buffed China right off the blade... It will be an ok knife to bounce around in my pocket until I get up the gumption to buy the American made Case knife that's just like it...
Old 04-07-2015, 10:48   #5
jollym1a

I am of the mindset that we have brought a lot of the foreign/cheap blade manufactering on ourselves. Unfortunately, by not being willing to pay a few more dollars for quality blades, Buck, Gerber, and many other companies are forced to find cheaper and cheaper manufacturing methods to meet the demands of the consumer. As Benton said though, I always check the stamp on the blade, or box for country before buying...if it is a concern. Otherwise, I throw them in the "beater box" for things I don't want to use my Benchmade for (working in the yard, cutting boxes, etc).

Much of the Chinese blades are made with recycled 440A/B stainless (mostly from the US, which I find funny...), and I have found them wanting in the edge-holding category, and usually are easy to chip/break. Mostly US stainless is 440C or HC (high carbon). This is what you want for a good general-purpose knife, at least as a starting point. I have heard that Chinese manufacturers may even stamp 440C on the blade, when in fact it is not. Frustrating.

As a side note, if you buy a Japanese blade, then disregard pretty much everything I have said. That's a different story altogether. I have a Gerber skinner with a Japanese blade that holds an awesome edge.

May be more info than you want...but nobody else in my house is gonna talk knives with me.
jollym1a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 12:02   #6
SIGMA 40
Grits and Gravy

I appreciate the info Jolly, like you, no one in my house cares to hear about knives or guns...
Old 04-07-2015, 12:56   #7
jollym1a

Yeah...I stay knife(or gun)-poor most of the time
Old 04-08-2015, 10:53   #8
SIGMA 40
Grits and Gravy

Spent some time on Buck's website looking over their knives and where they are made... I'll be roaming on Amazon soon to make some purchases... USA made!!
Old 04-08-2015, 13:56   #9
jollym1a

Old 04-08-2015, 16:09   #10
Kentguy

SIGMA40 "...Anyone else have a problem with China made knives or am I just being ridiculous?"

Have used & carried knives for over 50 years from Buck, Schrade, Ka Bar and Case - yes it does bother me that I see just a title wave of new knives coming over from China. It also bothers me that more than half of the things in my house were either made or imported from over seas and assembled here.

When it comes to knives I look at it this way; the knives I really need to use and trust my life with are coming from the USA. EDC knives that I cut open boxes with come from... wherever.

I still love to see the "MADE IN THE USA" stamped on a product.
Kentguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 16:46   #11
mattallamerican

no china junk usa or seki japan or german
mattallamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 04:14   #12
bamacisa

Boker, Puma and Swiss made knives are good quality.
bamacisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 16:52   #13
SIGMA 40
Grits and Gravy

I'm pretty interested in a few Puma knives, may have to do some research tonight...
Old 04-09-2015, 18:12   #14
bdcochran

Like this!

Take the time to read reviews of the specific knife model that you are considering. Look closely at the negative reviews. Amazon.com and youtube.com are places to start.

If you want a simplistic, knee jerk response that all Chinese made knives are junk, you can find it. Conversely, most of those people making a knee jerk response don't have a clue that one quality Chinese manufacturer is currently making knives for three US brands because the quality is acceptable.

You have to research the sellers as well. There are American citizens on eBay who are selling Fallkniven knives that were not produced by the company. I emailed one of those guys and told him that at the price he was listing the knife, it was a fraudulent knockoff.

You also have to be aware that name brand knife, gun, computer, machine manufacturing, car and other companies are sold from time to time and the new management is installed to cut costs and make a profit. I won't mention names. One knife maker was extremely decent until it was bought out some years ago. Then the quality dropped. It has lived off its name now for many years. Although the main plant is in the US, I would not buy a product from that company today.
bdcochran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 18:55   #15
LA_03HD

Spyderco. Golden, Colorado. Enough said.
LA_03HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 19:02   #16
rednoved
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcochran View Post
one quality Chinese manufacturer is currently making knives for three US brands because the quality is acceptable.
My imported Buck knives are more than acceptable to me. I'd have no problem carrying one of them everyday. I just prefer to carry a USA made knife.

Quote:
I won't mention names. One knife maker was extremely decent until it was bought out some years ago. Then the quality dropped. It has lived off its name now for many years. Although the main plant is in the US, I would not buy a product from that company today.
If the quality has dropped to the point you wouldn't buy anything from them, why wouldn't you share that information?

Last edited by rednoved; 04-09-2015 at 19:03..
rednoved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 19:29   #17
got_metal

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_03HD View Post
Spyderco also has an inexpensive, high value line of knives that are made in China. As do several other knife companies. Nothing wrong with them.
got_metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 20:59   #18
SIGMA 40
Grits and Gravy

One knife maker was extremely decent until it was bought out some years ago. Then the quality dropped. It has lived off its name now for many years. Although the main plant is in the US, I would not buy a product from that company today.

I would like to know who said knife maker is if at all possible
Old 04-09-2015, 21:01   #19
SIGMA 40
Grits and Gravy

The Buck Canoe I bought is a solid knife, just a little bugged out about the China stamp which had been removed.. It will definitely do the job until I find what I'm looking for.

Thanks for all the advice guys, I appreciate the help!
Old 04-10-2015, 09:29   #20
Leigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_03HD View Post
Spyderco. Seki, Japan are superior. Enough said.
Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote