GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-29-2007, 13:07   #121
Lewsid 13

Because Minnesota went "Shall Issue", and I live in the hood!
Lewsid 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 13:35   #122
lindh
Reaaly Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDrake View Post
I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
That about sums it up for me. I live in Nebraska, a very right-wing State but where it's illegal to conceal carry in many towns. In fact, the further to the right- the more restrictive the laws. So much for the "liberal" aspect of anti-gun. Here, it's a matter of economics - "spend your money here, it's safe because we don't allow concealed carry".
Old 11-29-2007, 13:43   #123
Braden

Fortunately I have no "defining moment" that made me decide to start carrying a gun. Truthfully, the thought had never really occurred to me until 2001 when I had the opportunity to take a free CHL course. Since it was free, I figured I might as well. So I did.

When I took my class the only handgun I owned was a Ruger P90. Needless to say it wasn't very concealable so I never carried. It wasn't until late 2001 when I bought a Taurus PT145 that I started actually carrying. By the way, that gun was promptly traded for my first Glock...the G30.

Now I pretty much carry all the time. There has only been one instance where I thought I MIGHT have to draw my gun. Fortunately I did not...and I hope it stays that way.
"I can do all things through Him who strengthens me." - Philippians 4:13

G19, G17, G23 (EDC), G22
Braden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 15:26   #124
LifterCatcher
Im watching You

Send a message via AIM to LifterCatcher Send a message via Yahoo to LifterCatcher
Good reads Keep them comming
Old 11-29-2007, 18:10   #125
Evenflo76

I got through the first 100 posts before skipping to post my own. I would first like to those of you that have been victims " Glad your here to tell your stories

I have always known I would get a permit and carry. As of this post. My Permit is still in the mail. I am 31 years of age. IMO I waited too long.

I grew up just outside NYC. My fathers business, which he owned 'till I was 25, and worked with for over 7 years, took me to some of the worst areas in that city. I have also seen enough atrocities around me to convince myself a permit, and the ability to carry was certainly in order.

Having lived in NY and Miami proper, I never ordered a permit. In NY the comom Knowledge is that you don't get a CCW unless you own a business, have been attacked or have political connections. In FL, until now, I was just lazy about it. For the record, I grew up in Nassau County NY. This is Chuck Shumers backyard, as well as, Carolyn McArthy. I remember when her Husband and Son were brutally murdered. I have been present too many times in a life threatening situation. I know I am lucky to be alive. Gun Control Laws do nothing to stop a criminal from harming the innocent.

The upcoming election and threat of a new AWB is what has prompted me to "Man UP" and procure a good stash of firearms and be prepared.

Having been raised in a conservative household has imbedded the RKBA in me for life. This is something I will share with my children. Personal Rights and Responsobilities are extremely important to me. My father served in Vietnam. He has not held a firearm since.

Really I just want to let you GT's know that I thank you for your commitment to your beliefs. We bear a heavy cross, and I wish you and your families unending peace.

PS. WHen can we get *****EDITED FOR POSTING VIOLATION*****spell check on this forum?

visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by RussP; 11-29-2007 at 19:14.. Reason: Posting Violation
Evenflo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 18:27   #126
Moonfish
CLM Number 30
Charter Lifetime Member

Finding myself (a Texan) in southeast Oklahoma unarmed... and hearing banjo music. The only alternative was to hand out 1-800-FREEDENTALWORK cards and hope for the best...

Last edited by Moonfish; 11-29-2007 at 18:30..
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 20:16   #127
FLGUY
The Gabagool

Because I live in Florida. Enough said.
FLGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 20:36   #128
mabar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenflo76 View Post
PS. WHen can we get *****EDITED FOR POSTING VIOLATION*****spell check on this forum?
Switch over to Mozilla Firefox. It has a built-in spell checker.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

Tom

GOA Member
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

NRA Member

OFCC Member

SAF Member
mabar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 22:12   #129
LifterCatcher
Im watching You

Send a message via AIM to LifterCatcher Send a message via Yahoo to LifterCatcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGUY View Post
Because I live in Florida. Enough said.
I hear that born and raised in Homestead Fl. Place is nuts so glad I got out.
Old 11-29-2007, 23:23   #130
wjv

Born in Chicago IL. Bought a couple handguns when I turned 21. Then Jane Byrne became mayor and banned the sales of all new handguns. Mine were grandfathered under the law.

Move out of Chicago.

3 years later mover to Colorado. Bought more guns and high capacity magazines as soon as a certain person became President. HINT: "It depends on what the meaning of the words 'is' is.". CO was a fairly gun friendly State, but no CCW was available at that time.

13 years later moved to WA State. Got a new DL, a new voters card, and a CCW.

What REALLY ticked me off about Chicago was that I had a IL State "Blue Card" (armed security officer) and a carry permit. I could buy, and carry, and use a gun while working a job to protect some store from being robbed, but couldn't buy, and carry, and use a gun to protect myself at home, or during non-working hours. The carry permit was only good for 1hr before/after work when commuting.

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -
wjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 00:21   #131
mike1969
NRA&GOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piolin View Post
"The barrel of the glock was pressed against the glass."

not a good idea IMHO
Yours would have been close to the window if you had been in that same situation. If that thugs wants my truck he can have it. But when he comes up to the door and I have a chance to defend myself I will.
mike1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 03:50   #132
ComeAndGetThem

Ate lunch at Luby's in Killeen, TX 24 hours prior to the then worst mass murder in U.S. history.
ComeAndGetThem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 04:08   #133
sheriff733
NRA LIFE MEMBER

I got interested in it when:

I realized that I live in the greatest nation on the face of the earth that gives me the right to keep and bear arms and SWEARS that cannot ever be taken away.

Nuff' said.

"This isn't domestic abuse. This is hilarious!" -Peter Griffin
sheriff733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 06:45   #134
Bren
NRA Life Member

Everybody in my family carried guns when I was growing up (I currently carry my grandmother's old chief special sometimes) and my father always carried a gun, usually in the open. When I turned 21 I got my first police job and bought my first handgun and have been carrying ever since. In Kentucky you could always carry in the open or in your glove compartment and a year after I quit my last police job to go to school, KY passed CCW.
Bren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 17:31   #135
FLGUY
The Gabagool

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifterCatcher View Post
I hear that born and raised in Homestead Fl. Place is nuts so glad I got out.
Good for you. I went in the other direction. Moved down from NJ to escape the cold among other things there. It's getting really bad here in FL. I won't go back to NJ cuz it's impossible to get a CCW. Eight more years till retirement then I'm OUTTA HERE!
FLGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 23:41   #136
omega48038

When Michigan changed the law and became a shall issue state, I figured I'd get one just because I could. We were one of the earlier states to change, and I kept thinking they might repeal the law.

Just the opposite happened, Michigan gun laws keep getting more favorable. We were one of the first to adopt the "Castle Doctrine" and to ban civil suits in justifiable self defense shootings. Now there's talk of easing restrictions on where you can legally carry.

I guess they figure with Detroit, Flint, Grand Rapids and Benton Harbor in our state, they might as well give the law abiding a fair chance.

Last edited by omega48038; 11-30-2007 at 23:49..
omega48038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 00:43   #137
Elliott

I watched a swat team take down my next door neighbors house. Turns out he was MS13 and a real scum bag. His 22yr old son stood at the front door and made racial comments about all the white guys being p@##@s and he made various threats as well.
I began carrying soon after.
Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 11:56   #138
Mingus Jim

I decided I'd carry a weapon when I knew I was moving from the People's Republik of Illinois to Arizona. I bought my G19 back in IL, and took my CCW course not long after I moved here. Like the old American Express motto goes: "Don't leave home without it."

I see no reason not to carry, just as I don't see any reason not to have auto or homeowners insurance.
Niner's #1799 [G19]
-------
"Gun control means using both hands."
Mingus Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 13:18   #139
happyguy
Man, I'm Pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior View Post
5. A gentleman should always carry a loaded gun.

6. Same goes for a lady.

Regards,
Happyguy
Proverbs 21:31 The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but victory is of the LORD.

"I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive at death safely."
happyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 14:10   #140
Uzi4U
NRA Life Member

I witnessed a murder in 1975, three blocks from a police station. To make a very long story short, if CCW had been legal at that time, I, or someone else, may have prevented it.
Uzi4U is offline   Reply With Quote