GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:57   #1081
mnotlyon

I live in a rural community. I grew up on a farm. My father taught me how to be responsible with a gun at a very early age. When I was twelve, I saved up $200 and he took me to the store to buy my first gun. A remington 870.

Fast forward about 25 years. I have to get up early for work, so I usually am in bed and asleep long before my wife comes to bed. One night she comes into the room, and says, "sorry to wake you, but somebody just tried to come in through the front door".

I had young children in the house, so all my guns were locked safely away. We have to be safe around the kids don't ya know. I ran by the front door that happens to be about half glass on my way to the basement to get a gun. The gun cabinet is a cheap wooden one, but it's locked, and the keys are upstairs. I ran back past the glass front door again, grab my keys, and run back by the door again to get downstairs. I finally get the cabinet opened, and unlock the drawer where the ammo is. I take out a gun.... Hmmm where did I put the key for the trigger lock? We can't have an unlocked gun in this cheap wooded gun case now can we.

By the time I get a gun in an operational condition, it's been nearly 10 minutes, and I've exposed myself to the danger that could be outside multiple times. My wife is hiding in our bedroom downstairs, and my children are sleeping upstairs.

Thankfully, whoever, or whatever scared my wife disappeared as soon as they realized someone was awake in the house. Or, maybe nobody was ever there and my wife dreamed it all up. Regardless, I realised that night, that even though we lived in a very safe little town, I was not prepared to protect my family.

I spent the next few days trying to figure out how to keep my young children safe from dangerous items, while still having them quickly available if I need them. I realised that the safest place for a gun was in my control at all times. In Missouri, you can carry a gun on your own property, or in your car (considered an extension of your property) without a permit, but I found it much easier to have a CCW so I could have it with me at all times. During the day, I have a gun strapped somewhere on my body. When I sleep, the guns that aren't in the gun safe (the old wooden cabinet is gone), is in a quick-open handgun safe bolted to the bottom shelf of our dresser.

I thank God for our trial run. It ended safely, and taught me many valuable lessons. I believe you cannot be a good husband if you have not taken steps to keep your family as safe as you can.
mnotlyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:58   #1082
The Fist Of Goodness

My experience didn't cause me to CCW immediately, but soon after, I became a federal agent and often thought about how different it might have worked out had I been armed.

I was working at the corporate offices of a major travel company in Center City Philadelphia, my first job out of college. It was winter, a few days after one of the worst ice storms the city had ever had (early 1994, IIRC).

Two separate incidents, one minor, one major, happened on my way home one night, after working late. I took the train home from 30th street station, and had to walk several blocks from my office to an enclosed stairwell that would take me up to Market Street, where I could cross the river to get to the station.

As I approached the stairwell, maybe a 100 yards away, a shady looking character exited the stairs and started walking in my direction. After a few steps, he looked up and saw me approaching (in my business attire, overcoat, and briefcase). He looked at me, still several dozen yards away, turned around, and went back into the stairwell.

This was the first time I can remember the hair on the back of my neck standing up. I knew without a doubt that if I went into the stairs, something bad was going to happen. I was freaked out enough that I walked back to my building, went inside, re-exited a different door, and found a different path to the train station.

Fast forward to me getting off the train at station near my house. I get my car, and stop at parents house for dinner. I leave their house and start home (which was maybe a mile away). I stop at the light at the bottom of their street, where it dead ends with a major road, as well as a train trestle bridge, and access roads for the city park system. As I start through the intersection, an old beat up pick up truck lurches out of one of the access roads, and almost t-bones my car. I slam on my brakes, and can see the passenger leaning forward screaming something at me.

I drive on, make a turn onto a side street, when the pick up swerves into oncoming traffic, passes me, and cuts me off, blocking the road in front of me. The driver and passenger both jump out and approach my car with some sort of clubs (bats, axe handles, or something along those lines). They clearly meant to harm me.

Luckily, they had passed a small side street to my left, giving me enough room to take off. Unfortunately, they followed me, and the chase was on.

I still vividly remember thinking I was going to crash because of the ice, and driving by my house hoping my brother was home (he was a cop), but he wasn't. They chased me for about ten minutes, literally on my bumper (I can still recall one of the headlights being loose in it's housing and shaking) They chased me from the incident all the way to the closest police station, where they finally broke off.

What is interesting is that I kept my cool throughout the chase. I wasn't panicked. I obviously didn't want to tangle with these two guys, but I was thinking and making decisions the whole time.

Once they broke off, I went into the police station to report the incident. That was when the adrenaline dump hit me. I started shaking, and had to sit down, calm down, and catch my breath before I was able to talk to the desk Sgt.

They were never caught. I don't know why they decided to chase me. I drove down the access road that they came out of the next day looking for the truck (there was an industrial area back there) but never found it.

Within a year of that incident, I was in training at FLETC, so I can't say that it cause me to start carrying. However, it is an incident I still think about to remind me that there are people out there who will harm you at the drop of a hat.

A few years later, I told a friend about the incident (she wanted to know why I carried a gun off duty). After I told her the story, she asked me what I would have done had I been armed. I told her that if they attacked me with their clubs, I would have shot them. She told me that she did not think that was fair, because they only had clubs :confused: .

To be fair, when I responded that they were going to beat an unarmed person, minding their own business, with their clubs, she did see my point.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Old 05-05-2014, 11:02   #1083
roscoepcoaltrain

I live in a rural area so I have always been around guns and shoot them regularly. I was in LE many eons ago for a short period in my life so I know about the evil out there that preys on others, but after I left LE I only kept a handgun in my vehicle or on my person while I was on my property. I really didn't want to carry in public and I avoided situations that have high potential for risk.

All was good until about five years ago. I was walking my dog like I do just about every day on our favorite scenic route in the middle of nowhere when a white van with tinted windows slowly passed by then stopped. I was unarmed and my mind began to race. Should I run in the woods? Wait? They may just want directions. I can't see inside the van. It is just sitting there. This is not good. Then, as if sent from God, a car came up from behind and the van sped away. This is a seldom traveled road in the boonies. I got my concealed carry permit as quick as I could after that.
Old 05-05-2014, 17:00   #1084
G115BA

Birth
G115BA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:42   #1085
BillKillgore

The Petit home invasion in CT. The Aurora, CO theater shooting. I have always been in favor of self-protection, but these really caused me to give CCW some thought. A turning point for my wife occurred while we were in a grocery store. I young guy immediately in front of us in the check-out line, with a 12-pack of beer under each arm, got agitated and very vocal with the store clerk. On the way out of the store, my wife whispered to me "He could have taken out his gun and shot us". I put my arm around her and whispered, "No he wouldn't". Knowing she would put her arm around me and feel my weapon. From that point forward, she has been a proponent of legal concealed carry.
BillKillgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 11:14   #1086
MK1

My defining moment was when I bought a gun. I wanted to be able to carry it so I got my license. I had no profound reason.
MK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:06   #1087
WarDamnGlock

Sandy Hook and Aurora took place shortly before I turned 21. This prompted my father and I to get our CCW and acquire pistols. I first bought a Glock 17, my father got the 19. I now have a 19 FDE after a brief stint with the 17. Still have not convinced my mother to get a permit and carry. She is Mrs. Corporate America and works in ATL, I thought she would have come around by now.

I am now 22, led the Campus Concealed Carry group at Auburn University until graduation, and own a 19gen4 and a MP Shield for a lighter summer carry option. Dad still has his original 19Gen3.

War Eagle

Last edited by WarDamnGlock; 06-05-2014 at 10:07..
WarDamnGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 13:38   #1088
chiefjack

The passing of the 2nd Amendment.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:08   #1089
houdinii1212

defining moment was more of a colaberate effort of all the videos and coverage of the local / out of state shootings, armed roberies, and muggings that were not on the news but on the internet almost to be hidden from public view like they where hiding all the stories from us.

on my 21st birthday i baught my glock 19 and already had an apointment to get my concealed permet about 2 weeks after.
houdinii1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 17:36   #1090
bunkerbo

The defining moment was serving as a police officer for 10 years. Lot of good folks out there but some bad ones in the mix also.
bunkerbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 17:43   #1091
barth
six barrels

I've been faced with three apparent mugging/robbery attempts.
All three times it was three on one.
Think about that...

Last edited by barth; 07-14-2014 at 17:44..
barth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 17:55   #1092
10Krunner

Part of what I have to do as a business owner is make large cash withdrawals from time to time. About 3 years ago I made a withdrawal like I always did. Went straight to my car and drove off. On the way to the office I decided to make a stop at the post office to see if any checks had come in. In the 30 seconds or so that it took to walk in and check the box and walk out, my car had been ransacked and the cash was gone.

Of course at the time I felt violated and incredibly pissed. As time went on I started realizing two very important things...

1. It could have been much worse. The guy could have attacked me. He also could have just ambushed me and shot me point blank. Thankfully I never even had to see his face.

2. I needed to much more aware of my surroundings.

It was a real wake-up call for me. Signed up for the class a few weeks after this happened.
Old 07-20-2014, 19:23   #1093
Slaindingo

I have something for you................?

I have responded to this thread a while back with a "general" answer, that being the fact that there is "Evil" in the world. I have also experienced several "specific" events that led to my decision...........this is one:

A few years ago, While I was bicycling on a desolate two lane road one Sunday afternoon, a young guy drove up slowly from behind me in a crappy old car ...pulled up ahead on the shoulder and looked back at me as if he needed something....perhaps directions?

So........wanting to be helpful, I slowed and rolled up beside him and at that moment he looked up and said "I have something for you......." and he reached into his center console to get something........to which I loudly replied "No man..........I AIN'T GOT TIME!!!" I sped away all the while looking at him in my rear view mirror.........thinking to myself......(what in the world would he have for me.....a complete stranger?) I continued to watch him as he grew smaller and smaller in my rear view mirror......I had no weapon......wasn't real sure what I'd do if he sped up aggressively to me.........I figured I'd pull a quick u turn and go the opposite direction.......hopefully, elude him........but if he still were to pursue me, I thought I would throw my bicycle at his windshield and take off running across the adjacent field. Fortunately, I never got to do that........haha..............he sat there for awhile and then turned around and left......I never saw him again. I have often wondered what might have happened had I hesitated there while sitting on my bike next to his car.......

I still bicycle frequently, but today I legally carry a Glock 30 in a "fanny" pack holster....right in front of my belly......at ready..............because......you never know..............
Slaindingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:31   #1094
MooMooBoo

You know, ive been thinking about CCW. I just wanted it for dogs while I run out here, unfortunately I got my CCW, and a holster for the gun I want, but the gun I want is backordered so it's not doing me any good.

Ive started randomly CC, I guess I don't see so much of the hype behind it? I live in a pretty safe place which may be why I don't see much of the reason to CC. Do many of you guys CC because you live in bad neighborhoods? Or are you trying to be prepared for the just in case?
MooMooBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:45   #1095
grit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMooBoo View Post
Ive started randomly CC, I guess I don't see so much of the hype behind it? I live in a pretty safe place which may be why I don't see much of the reason to CC. Do many of you guys CC because you live in bad neighborhoods? Or are you trying to be prepared for the just in case?
I live in a very safe neighborhood and a generally "safe" area, but I carry almost all the time. Before, like you, I only carried occasionally. Then I had a couple of experiences where I really wished I was armed. The situations came out of "nowhere" and all of a sudden I found myself confronted with a potentially dangerous confrontation. I fortunately managed to escape the situations without further incident but I feel it was just my quick thinking and good luck I did.

There are bad people around even in "safe" areas. One never knows when evil people will show up and decide you are ripe to be their next victim.

My advice? If you can carry... do it. The worst that can happen is you won't ever need to use a weapon. But better safe than sorry.
Old 07-23-2014, 20:25   #1096
Gator Monroe

In California ? hmm... Well because I'm one of less than 50k with one in a State of Roughly 40 million people and I wanted to represent.
Gator Monroe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 20:41   #1097
RussP

Folks, you're drifting away from the purpose of the thread as stated in the title and Post #1, "Defining Moment(s) that led to your decision to CCW."

Go back and read Post #1.

This is not a thread to discuss, to debate, to argue about anyone's "Defining Moment". If you want to do that, quoting the post, start a new thread.

Tomorrow I'm going to review the last few pages and remove the posts that do not follow the thread's purpose.

RussP

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921

Last edited by RussP; 07-24-2014 at 19:53..
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 14:58   #1098
captcurly

In 1964 I became a LEO and it went with the job. After 30yrs retirement and still carry concealed. I just do not want to ever be a victim. During my career I interviewed too many victims and I do not want to be one. Some victims were unable to be interviewed.

It is all about shot placement.
captcurly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 15:14   #1099
Aglockalpyse Now

I decided to get a CCW as soon as I turned 21. All my buddies ran up a couple hundred dollar bar tab when they turned 21 and i figured the money was better spent on a handgun permit.
Old 07-24-2014, 17:30   #1100
BillKillgore

The Petit home invasion, 23 July 2007!

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/07/ny...anted=all&_r=0

This is the defining event that drove me to purchase my first handgun (G21), to become proficient with it and to get my CCW.
BillKillgore is offline   Reply With Quote