Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-09-2007, 21:58   #101
ecmills
I shoot guns.

I turned 21.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:43   #102
Donkey

i had just got stationed in Montgomery AL, first day me and my wife moved in our new apartment someone came in and stole my wallet off the kitchen counter while me and my wife were in the bed room. constant shootings all over the city, city police or sheriffs making vists once or twice a day to my complex every day. and i live in the "nice" part of montgomery.
Donkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 19:52   #103
SSG

CCW Reason

Talk to cops, the only real, uninterpreted way to carry a gun in your car, going to the range, ect, is to have a CCW. Forget what you heard, in a paper bag, in the trunk unloaded, on the dash, exposed on your hip...

Walk down the street with a gun on your hip, except in some podunk town in AZ and the cops will show up, at gunpoint.

A CCW allows you to carry and not be branded someone who is concealing a gun illegaly, it's $50 worth of insurance.

I never carry a gun, but I drive to the range, gun stores afterworld with the gun in a bag, in my car, that's considered concealed by many.

IMHO, having a CCW for all practical purposes is the only way to transport a gun without any issues.

If I need to have a gun where I live, then it's time to move, not safe for me, or family. If I need it for work, then I made that decision to carry.

If you get into a shooting, then having a CCW means you were atleast checked out, and you went through a class, that means you have some reasonable sense of training and that your somewhat upstanding, that helps you.
SSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 19:56   #104
Fraggle09027

Send a message via AIM to Fraggle09027 Send a message via Yahoo to Fraggle09027 Send a message via Skype™ to Fraggle09027

Re: CCW Reason

Quote:
Originally posted by SSG
If I need to have a gun where I live, then it's time to move, not safe for me, or family.
No violent crime where you live or no chance of it!! WOW
Where do you live so I can move.
Old 09-10-2007, 20:15   #105
iainmcphersn

I turned 21. I had been waiting for years at that point.
iainmcphersn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 20:19   #106
SSG

Live someplace nice.

Oregon - Pacific NW.

Plenty of poeple carry up here, almost a given, but I still haven't heard of a mugging, car jacking, ...a few home invasions, but they were druggies on druggies....

Low crime. Hey if you want to live in a high crime place, your choice, don't ***** about it.
Old 09-11-2007, 00:33   #107
Wasatch
was "Patronus"

Re: CCW Reason

Quote:
Originally posted by SSG

I never carry a gun
Why not? Not a challenge, just a question.
Wasatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 01:03   #108
SSG

Carrying a gun.

I shoot three times a week +,

carrying a gun is uncomfortable, a helluva responsibility in a place with little to no violent crime, don't need to.

Guns aremt the only options for self defense..it's really a last resort, not a first resort...
Old 09-11-2007, 05:18   #109
Lior
GUNS=FREEDOM

SSG, welcome to GlockTalk.
Rust and bureaucrats. Freedom and vigilance. Front sight and trigger. Kindness and firepower. Situational awareness and tolerance. Safety and concealment. Taxes and allegiance. Love of man and surgical marksmanship. Once a soldier, always a soldier.
Lior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:18   #110
Fraggle09027

Send a message via AIM to Fraggle09027 Send a message via Yahoo to Fraggle09027 Send a message via Skype™ to Fraggle09027

Re: Live someplace nice.

Quote:
Originally posted by SSG
Oregon - Pacific NW.

Plenty of poeple carry up here, almost a given, but I still haven't heard of a mugging, car jacking, ...a few home invasions, but they were druggies on druggies....

Low crime. Hey if you want to live in a high crime place, your choice, don't ***** about it.
I moved from Allentown, Pa to N.E. Pa to get away from the "city" life. Since I moved I found there is crime no matter where you go.

This weekend where I live.

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbc.../NEWS/70910018

I'll continue to carry.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:19   #111
Fraggle09027

Re: Carrying a gun.

Quote:
Originally posted by SSG
Guns aremt the only options for self defense..it's really a last resort, not a first resort...
Agreed, but when you at your last resort where will you gun be?
Old 09-11-2007, 10:13   #112
GlockandLoad

Better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it. And that's my motto about carrying a gun. I figure, as a civilian, I am also a member of the N. Texas miltia.

Also see the Second Amendment.

And keep in mind, not only are we given the ability to protect ourselves from the BG's, the second amendment is also there for civilians to protect ourselves against our own government and LE agencies.

Last edited by GlockandLoad; 09-11-2007 at 10:19..
GlockandLoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 16:56   #113
rebelpride302

I live in a small town in NC with a low crime rate, but I also realize that crime has no boundaries. The BGs dont care how nice my community is or how comftorable I feel about where I live. I see in the news everyday and hear from my friends and family about the increasing violence all around the country and I feel that it is my resonsibility to protect my friends, family and loved ones.

I grew up in a very pro gun family and have always had a huge intrest in firearms and hunting. I guess the defining moment actually took took place over 3 years of getting to know a lady that a have became very good friends with. Long story short she was beatin and abused by a former boyfriend many years ago and even raped in a parking lot in broad daylight. Since meeting her and learning her story and hearing just a fraction of some of the horrible things that have happined to her I decided I wanted to be prepaired to defend myself and my loved ones. That, along with my love for firearms and the right to keep and bear arms is the reason I carry.
rebelpride302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 19:48   #114
r3dot

Last edited by r3dot; 12-12-2009 at 08:43..
r3dot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 22:33   #115
Wasatch
was "Patronus"

Quote:
Originally posted by r3dot

If there are people that are like this as kids, I can only imagine what they'll be like when they're of age (if they aren't in prison)
Thanks for posting, r3dot. Here's to age 21. It sounds like you've had a few run-ins but have been lucky/smart enough to avoid making things worse. Armed or not, you're just trying to make it home at night. Good on you for making that happen many times over. Best of luck leading up to your 21st birthday.

As for the crazy criminals, I'd hope they're in prison, but that's a false hope--they aren't. Sure, violent criminals do some minimal jail/prison time, where they're truly educated in criminal tactics and have little else to do than lift weights and "talk shop" in their free time. But then they're released on "good behavior," and they're back on the street to engage in more mayhem.

So I'd add that another defining moment for me was when I learned about the revolving-door policies we currently have in the Dept. of Corrections throughout the nation.

"I work in Corrections. I know evil, and evil people are released into society every Tuesday."
-- Paraphrased from a Packing.org member a few years back
Wasatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:38   #116
LifterCatcher
Im watching You

Send a message via AIM to LifterCatcher Send a message via Yahoo to LifterCatcher
To the Top just found this brining it back from the dead!
Old 11-29-2007, 10:50   #117
acpd442

Because it's my right to do so. Rights are like muscles, You don't use them then you'll lose them! As a LEO I don't need a CHL but as a citizen I have exercised my right to get one. I am also in the process of getting my non-resident CCW's from Utah, Florida, and Pennsylvania.
acpd442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:55   #118
Daryl in Az
Enjoying life!

I grew up with firearms. I had my first shotgun when I was 9 years old, and bought my first .22 LR when I was 12 (parents with me, of course). I got my first centerfire rifle when I was 10 I think, and started loading my own ammo accordingly (with strict instructions from my father). I got my first handgun when I was about 16, although I'd been shooting my father's before that.

I carried openly, and also in my truck, from the time I was a teen. So, when Arizona became a shall-issue state, it was only natural to also get a CCW permit.

It was no earth shattering decision on my part, for sure!

Daryl
Daryl in Az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 11:17   #119
GreenDrake
Rip Lips

I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
GreenDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 12:00   #120
kurt_cobain

I don't think there was "one" defining moment for me, but there were a number of factors. My buddy has one and we shoot together a lot. There are also a number of "killer dogs" in our neighborhood and I have kids; also there have been stories of coyotoes and such. And of course, personal proection and I'd be amiss if I didn't say that one factor was the school shooting recently, although I'm not in school, stuff like that is a factor.
kurt_cobain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 12:07   #121
Lewsid 13

Because Minnesota went "Shall Issue", and I live in the hood!
Lewsid 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 12:35   #122
lindh
Reaaly Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDrake View Post
I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
That about sums it up for me. I live in Nebraska, a very right-wing State but where it's illegal to conceal carry in many towns. In fact, the further to the right- the more restrictive the laws. So much for the "liberal" aspect of anti-gun. Here, it's a matter of economics - "spend your money here, it's safe because we don't allow concealed carry".
Old 11-29-2007, 12:43   #123
Braden

Fortunately I have no "defining moment" that made me decide to start carrying a gun. Truthfully, the thought had never really occurred to me until 2001 when I had the opportunity to take a free CHL course. Since it was free, I figured I might as well. So I did.

When I took my class the only handgun I owned was a Ruger P90. Needless to say it wasn't very concealable so I never carried. It wasn't until late 2001 when I bought a Taurus PT145 that I started actually carrying. By the way, that gun was promptly traded for my first Glock...the G30.

Now I pretty much carry all the time. There has only been one instance where I thought I MIGHT have to draw my gun. Fortunately I did not...and I hope it stays that way.
"I can do all things through Him who strengthens me." - Philippians 4:13

G19, G17, G23 (EDC), G22
Braden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 14:26   #124
LifterCatcher
Im watching You

Send a message via AIM to LifterCatcher Send a message via Yahoo to LifterCatcher
Good reads Keep them comming
Old 11-29-2007, 17:10   #125
Evenflo76

I got through the first 100 posts before skipping to post my own. I would first like to those of you that have been victims " Glad your here to tell your stories

I have always known I would get a permit and carry. As of this post. My Permit is still in the mail. I am 31 years of age. IMO I waited too long.

I grew up just outside NYC. My fathers business, which he owned 'till I was 25, and worked with for over 7 years, took me to some of the worst areas in that city. I have also seen enough atrocities around me to convince myself a permit, and the ability to carry was certainly in order.

Having lived in NY and Miami proper, I never ordered a permit. In NY the comom Knowledge is that you don't get a CCW unless you own a business, have been attacked or have political connections. In FL, until now, I was just lazy about it. For the record, I grew up in Nassau County NY. This is Chuck Shumers backyard, as well as, Carolyn McArthy. I remember when her Husband and Son were brutally murdered. I have been present too many times in a life threatening situation. I know I am lucky to be alive. Gun Control Laws do nothing to stop a criminal from harming the innocent.

The upcoming election and threat of a new AWB is what has prompted me to "Man UP" and procure a good stash of firearms and be prepared.

Having been raised in a conservative household has imbedded the RKBA in me for life. This is something I will share with my children. Personal Rights and Responsobilities are extremely important to me. My father served in Vietnam. He has not held a firearm since.

Really I just want to let you GT's know that I thank you for your commitment to your beliefs. We bear a heavy cross, and I wish you and your families unending peace.

PS. WHen can we get *****EDITED FOR POSTING VIOLATION*****spell check on this forum?

visit www.secondamendmentmarch.com

Last edited by RussP; 11-29-2007 at 18:14.. Reason: Posting Violation
Evenflo76 is offline   Reply With Quote