GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-11-2012, 15:17   #1026
Mr. Niceguy

I was at a new year's eve party several years ago (outside) and at the stroke of midnight a bunch of other people started firing their guns into the air in celebration. I felt like the odd man out, and vowed to never again be in a situation where I didn't have the ability to punctuate a joyous occasion with a little gunfire.
Mr. Niceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:15   #1027
crazycooter91
Roll Tide

The biggest reason that I chose to CCW is because my previous neighbors were drug dealers and counterfeiters, and they didn't hide the fact that they were. I was always afraid of there being a drug deal go bad next door to my house (less than 50yds from my home). Fortunately, one is in jail and the other moved away. The other reason is most of my friends ccw and may state is a very lenient may-issue state.
crazycooter91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 13:30   #1028
westy39

I carried on duty for 22 years, I also carried when I was off duty, you never know when you will run across your favorite felon. I was standing in line to go to a movie with my wife, I had turned to talk to her and heard a familiar voice behind me.... It was some fine citizen I had arrested for Domestic Abuse two nights before. It was not what one would call an easy arrest but not quite a donnybrook. He went to jail I went home after my shift and now he was right behind me with the woman he beat. I was carrying but I just told my wife we needed to leave, she understood. I will continue to carry cause you can't always walk away and the protection of you and yours is the most important principle in life or so I believe. Just my thoughts from the Big Sky Country...
westy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 18:27   #1029
FourthPointOfContact

The defining moment that led me to CCW this morning was that it was 54-degrees. Around noon I had another defining moment and went to OC.
FourthPointOfContact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 18:59   #1030
Bigpoppie50

Culmination of all of the crazy and absurd things happening in the surrounding communities. All you have to do is watch the local evening news. Sometimes it does not always happen to someone else.
Bigpoppie50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:20   #1031
LEOson

So this is really just an update to my earlier post...but I sent off the paperwork for my ccw yesterday. By law the state has a max of 45 days to issue it. Go me!
LEOson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 22:16   #1032
Brutus Fullman

When my state finally passed our Concealed Carry law, it was filled with restrictions that would prohibit carrying in almost every location in which I was likely to find myself. Also, my place of employment declared itself to be a gun-free zone so I just didn't bother. Then, in December of 2007, eight people were murdered in a "gun-free zone" at the Westroads Mall Massacre - within walking distance of my house. I took the next qualification class I could find and had my permit by Spring (that reminds me: it's almost time to re-new). I now carry almost everywhere. Concealed means concealed.
Laws enacted to punish evil firmly are characteristic of a government which values the lives and rights of its citizens. Laws purporting to prevent evil by prohibiting inherently harmless behavior are meant to limit rights and control lives.
Brutus Fullman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 13:05   #1033
Zelesnik G17

Today, after reading story after story. I picked up a Glock 17 a few weeks ago mainly to use for targets. I am not ready to carry yet, but after some training time, and many more range sessions, I plan on doing just that. I thought I would look/feel stupid carrying a gun. But, I can get get over all that, just knowing people exist that want to harm me, my family, or my neighbors. I do know I'm not ready yet, legally or mentally.
Zelesnik G17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 22:07   #1034
JohnnyTactical305

I first got interested in firearms at a young age when my dad took me shooting in the Everglades, but never really got into them. The Travon Martin shooting, the reactions to it, plus seeing society going down the drain made me start getting into firearms and CCW.

Last edited by JohnnyTactical305; 01-10-2013 at 22:10..
JohnnyTactical305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 16:43   #1035
SpitFyRRe
Bang Bang

I had always been into firearms and kept putting off my CCW class. Almost getting carjacked was the defining moment for me to get my *** in gear to get my permit. The next month was the soonest I could get in. I've had it for about 2.5 years now.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:13   #1036
Hooch0903

I was never around guns as a kid much. In 96 I joined the military and found it was something I was good at, and I enjoyed it.
I joined a long distance club while I was stationed in MO and spent 5 years there collecting various guns. I was then transfered to MT and the mission changed drastically. I no longer had the time to shoot my guns. Also, being an armorer I had no desire. When the deployments started in late 2001 I sold all of my guns.

After leaving the military in late 2003 and returning to central IN, a homeless man attempted to mug me while running a service call at 3am in a bad neighborhood in Richmond, IN. I was lucky that night...I purchased a ccw 9mm two days later and I've carried ever since. I've had the misfortune of working in some very bad neighborhoods up and down the eastern seaboard since then, and carrying has saved my ass on more than one occasion. I've carried nearly every day since my purchase in 03, and never leave home without at least one firearm.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Hooch0903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 18:28   #1037
Reaver2218

Send a message via Skype™ to Reaver2218
The main reason I chose to purchase a firearm and to put myself through gun safety classes as well as CCW class was I lived in a bad neighborhood and wanted a way to protect myself and my family after I woke up in the middle of the night walking to the bathroom I witnesses an intruder starring at me in the hallway I guess he didnt expect anyone to wake up and fled out the backdoor.
Reaver2218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 23:00   #1038
txglocker23

Send a message via Yahoo to txglocker23
I got mine to defend my family and myself
Old 01-21-2013, 20:09   #1039
fratello

I got my ccw about a year ago,,,Time to defend,,,Never had any guns till then,,read about the Glock
and still reading about them ,so far I have 3 ,Model 17,,,27,,and 20...going to have all before I quit.
The reason for getting these is the way the economy is today with the unemployment lots and
lots of people out on the street trying to survive the wrong way...............

Last edited by fratello; 01-21-2013 at 20:10..
fratello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 20:32   #1040
Indianashooter

Here in Indiana its called a License to Carry a Handgun. I've had one for almost 20 years.

At first I got one so I could legally carry the hand gun to and from the range. I carried on and off for many years but not on a regular basis. About 15 years ago I joined a civil defense unit in Mishawaka, the Mishawaka Civil Dense Special Police. They issued a GP 100. The regular cops had just gotten Sigs issued to them.

About 4 years ago I sued for full custody of my son. Some material of questionable used was found at her boyfriends house. My son decided to report it. I supported him. About 4 months later several police officers come to my house with the information that they had received a Crime Stoppers tip that my son and I life was in danger. Needles to say I was astounded!
Right then I decided to carry 24/7. And I have.

Edit: BTW, I won full custody!

Last edited by Indianashooter; 01-21-2013 at 20:33..
Indianashooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:45   #1041
BADOS

Nothing exciting here. In the late 60's I was in a business that required me to take cash from my business out of shopping malls. I aquired a "Life and Property" permit from Massachusetts so that I could conceal carry my Colt 1911 Commander. In 1989 I moved my business to Florida and applied for the Florida CC permit. Because MA was so strict in their gun laws, I wasn't required to take a course and they just issued me the permit. When I moved to Florida, I switched to Glock and have been carrying them ever since.

Last edited by BADOS; 01-25-2013 at 07:47..
BADOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 21:19   #1042
TXPamIAm

-----

Last edited by TXPamIAm; 01-29-2014 at 23:17.. Reason: misspelling
TXPamIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:52   #1043
Lady Glock

Send a message via ICQ to Lady Glock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelesnik G17 View Post
Today, after reading story after story. I picked up a Glock 17 a few weeks ago mainly to use for targets. I am not ready to carry yet, but after some training time, and many more range sessions, I plan on doing just that. I thought I would look/feel stupid carrying a gun. But, I can get get over all that, just knowing people exist that want to harm me, my family, or my neighbors. I do know I'm not ready yet, legally or mentally.
I have a Galco IWB holster that works wonderful to keep you from having a bulge from a composite style OWB holster. It's leather with a "plastic" belt clip. I've worn it to work when I worked at a place that forbid carry. (that was a few years ago as the last place I worked I would have been caught going through the metal detector).

Trust in God...Everyone else keep your hands where I can see them!
Lady Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:02   #1044
chevydave

Watch the news! Didn't need much more than that! I worked hard to get where I am and decided I want to stay here! I love life, my wife and family And I refuse to be a victim! There are really bad people out there and you never know if/when you might meet up with one. It's a bad bet not to be prepared.
Old 03-03-2013, 13:37   #1045
maxmanta

There was no specific turning point. I just always liked guns.
maxmanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 18:10   #1046
blake716

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmanta View Post
There was no specific turning point. I just always liked guns.
Same here. I just finally got off of my butt amd turned in my paperwork about a month ago.
They told me it would take between 100-120 days. I'm still waiting on my permit.

I was robbed at gunpoint, twice. But that was over 15 years ago. I guess I'm quite the procrastinator.
blake716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 19:36   #1047
redcat11

Wow thats some serious ****, good reason why you carry.
redcat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 23:25   #1048
Jt1974

A store owner and his son were shot to death during a robbery at 2pm on a saturday afternoon NEXT DOOR to my office (as in just a few feet away). The son was shot first and the father ran into the bathroom and locked the door. The killer kicked the door in and shot the dad to death in the bathroom.

A few months before that a college kid got his teeth knocked out in the parking lot of my office building when he was walking home from the bars.

I'm 6'3" and always thought most bad guys would pass me by and look for an easier target. However, after the two incidents noted above I realized that criminals are getting pretty brave these days so I decided I might as well start exercising my 2A rights.
Jt1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:24   #1049
ezthumper

I carry as a result of experience and a jaded view of humanity.
ezthumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:53   #1050
PVolk

I got a good one.

I was 23 years old and recently bought my first house. We were throwing a party in the apartment above the garage (we partied up there to keep the house clean) when a random drunk stranger walks in and picks a fight with my buddy and his girlfriend. Since nobody knew who he was, we kicked him out. As he was leaving my driveway, he hit two parked cars and peeled out off down the road. Several people chased after him on foot. The guy pulled over about a block away, got out of his truck with a revolver in hand, and started shooting in their direction. Everyone hit the ground. The shots were clearly heard at my house, where I still was. Just about that time, my buddy Evan (who was determined to get the guys plate number) was barelling down the road and saw him with gun in hand and decided to take him out with his Jeep Cherokee. He drove right into the guy and layed him out across the hood. Broke both of his legs and knocked him unconscious.

While waiting for the police to get there, it occured to me that I don't even own a handgun to defend myself against the next drunken ******* that stumbles onto my property armed. Being new to an unknown neighborhood, I figured I wouldn't take any more chances. A couple weeks later, I bought a Springfield SD40 and 6 months after that, my father and I signed up for a CCW class.

The guy in my story turned out to be so drunk, he thought he had arrived at his buddies house when he came to mine. Apparantly his buddy lived 5 or 6 houses down the street. The police charged him with his 4th DUI that night. His pistol was never recovered and Evan was never charged with running him over.