GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:49   #976
SFla27

There was an incident in the last year or so where I was followed by a few guys in a car for what seemed to be an eternity while I was riding my bike.

For the few times I was able to turn my head and get a glance at the occupants, I could tell they weren't choir boys. And they weren't focused on anything else but me. At times, the car was tailing me by literally a few feet, other times they were possibly a few hundred feet back, maybe more.

Would they run me off the road? Would they run me down? Would they rob me, take my wallet and go to my house?

While this was happening, I really couldn't tell if this was just a simple 'breach of the peace' of a few guys wanting to have a little fun at the expense of some poor middle-aged guy alone on the road / bike-lane / sidewalk, or if it was going to turn into something else.

What made it worse was I didn't have my cell phone on me to call 911 first. I had left it on overnight (with the bluetooth, gps, and syncing functions on) and the battery was dead by morning, so I had it charging at the house.

Well, I'll tell you what...If that situation happens again, I don't intend to be a victim, robbed and beaten into a coma and on a ventilator in the hospital while my 5-year old daughter is holding my hand.

Last edited by SFla27; 05-23-2012 at 09:09.. Reason: grammar, spelling.
SFla27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:35   #977
Wasatch
was "Patronus"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFla27 View Post
There was an incident in the last year or so where I was followed by a few guys in a car for what seemed to be an eternity while I was riding my bike.....

...What made it worse was I didn't have my cell phone on me to call 911 first. I had left it on overnight (with the bluetooth, gps, and syncing functions on) and the battery was dead by morning, so I had it charging at the house.

Well, I'll tell you what...If that situation happens again, I don't intend to be a victim, robbed and beaten into a coma and on a ventilator in the hospital while my 5-year old daughter is holding my hand.
Thanks for sharing, and I'm glad your harrowing experience turned out alright.

I'd have a cheap Tracfone-like cell phone (pay as you go) as a backup when your smartphone is charging.
Wasatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 15:50   #978
Unk

The realization that you can accomplish more with a kind word and a gun, than a kind word alone.

74 now, I've been carrying since I was 18, when our Uncle provided the 1911..and ammunition for it..fed and clothed me too.
Unk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:52   #979
Mholnic

(Long. Was feeling wordy, as is usual for me.)
There was no single defining moment.. more a series of events and thoughts that culminated in my decision to arm myself.

Years ago I read a news article (I don't remember where) about a young couple that was assaulted by several men. The guy was beaten to a pulp and then forced to watch as they repeatedly gang raped his girlfriend. It was just one story but it stuck with me, and I never looked at groups the same way again.. in fact I sort of obsessed over it.

I started researching group dynamics and psychology, I read some incredibly gruesome accounts and watched some pretty gory videos. There's a shocking amount of footage out there showing different factions doing almost unimaginable things to each other. Beheadings, beatings, burnings, torture, etc.

It changed the way I looked at both groups and individuals. It's not that I assumed that every group of guys walking towards me intended to beat me up and take my stuff, it's more that I came to recognize that if they wanted to there was nothing I could do about it. If they wanted to gang rape my SO I'd be powerless to stop it.

That said, I was still strangely willing to interact with people I didn't know. I'd often give people rides.. I go stargazing a lot so I'd be coming home at 2-3am and if I saw someone on the side of the road I'd usually pull over and let them in. Most of the time I'd feel reasonably safe. Still, sometimes I had that uneasy feeling. Other times I was forced to reckon with the knowledge that the stranger in my car intended to do me harm.

I picked a guy up around 1am, it was 27~ degrees out and he was walking along the Highway with a sleeping bag in his arms. We picked up his girlfriend and headed to the address he'd given me when he first entered. When she asked where we were going, he gave a second address... but we were not headed in that direction. Visibly confused, she asked a few minutes later. He gave a third address.

I had the overwhelming feeling that I was about to be 'jacked' and was fortunate enough to see a local Sheriff out on an early-morning patrol. I flashed my lights at him a few times, pulled over and jumped out of the car. The homeless guy bolted, leaving his girlfriend in the car. The deputy drove up and asked if everything was alright, I explained and he called it in. Turns out the guy had a history of carjacking and they found a knife tucked into the sleeping bag he dropped a few yards from my car. Not sure if they ever caught him, but I'm glad I never found out what would've happened to me if I hadn't run into that deputy.

Still, even that was (somehow) not enough. I just told myself that while it was dangerous, it was a situation I could easily avoid by not picking up strangers. Which.. amusingly, I still do. Way to mitigate risk, self! So like I said.. it was the little things. It was going out for a late night run (pattern: night owl) and realizing that an approaching car has slowed down just a little too much, for a little too long. It was being screamed at through my driver's side window by some drunk who had gotten out of his car and was pacing around blocking traffic. It was Virginia Tech. It was Utoya (Norway). It was the ever-increasing feeling that the person most likely to defend me was.. me. And I was unarmed.

I had the mindset and I was aware of my surroundings, but I lacked the ability to do anything about danger even if I saw it coming. I was constantly on my family about leaving the doors unlocked but I didn't put a lot of thought into exactly what I would do if some undesirable gained entrance to my house. Poke him with my knife?

I had this desire to assist people when I was able, but overlooked the risks inherent to doing so. In fact the most recent event (the 'tipping-point', if you will) involved just that desire. I was pulling onto my street, seconds from home, as I happened to look up and see a man very clearly pushing a woman through their open 2nd story window. There was no doubt about it. He'd pushed her. I pulled into my driveway, got out and started walking to their house. Then I stopped. "What the hell am I doing?" I turned around and went home. Mad. Unlocked the door, walked in, locked the door. Really mad. Went to my bedroom, put away my stuff. Livid.

I knew what I saw, but I'd turned around because I wasn't sure how to handle it. My cowardice and indecision were really pissing me off. What do I say when they answer the door? What will I do if she's hurt? I'm not very physically imposing (both a source of some shame and motivation as I hit the weights)... what if he attacks me? My anger won out. I walked back out, knocked on their door and the guy answered. I told him I'd seen a woman being pushed and asked if everything was alright (as my heart rate skyrockets).. he laughs and says yes. I say I'd like to hear it from her.. he calls, and she comes out saying they were just playing.

No fireworks finish, just me looking stupid on my neighbor's doorstep. Still, I felt simultaneously relieved and disappointed. Relieved that she was unhurt and disappointed that I had, however briefly, entertained the idea of letting what appeared to be a violent domestic dispute continue. After my adrenaline dissipated and I managed to get to sleep, I woke up and started looking into carry options. I'd never carried but I've handled firearms enough that I'm comfortable with them.

A few days ago I purchased a Glock 23, and I'm looking into something smaller (LCP, PM9) for those times when I can't conceal it. I won't fool myself into thinking that I can handle any situation, but I also won't be too tempted to turn my back on someone again.

Last edited by Mholnic; 05-28-2012 at 02:53..
Mholnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 13:13   #980
PaulMason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mholnic View Post
A few days ago I purchased a Glock 23, and I'm looking into something smaller (LCP, PM9) for those times when I can't conceal it. I won't fool myself into thinking that I can handle any situation, but I also won't be too tempted to turn my back on someone again.
I would caution you that you are not the police. Most would say your primarily carry a gun to protect yourself and your family.
PaulMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 13:30   #981
Mholnic

I realize that, I simply meant that what kept me from checking on her in the first place was an uncertainty and fear about what might happen to me if I was grossly overpowered by an angry abuser. That (fortunately) wasn't the case, but it could have been. Calling the police in that situation, prior to knowing what I know now, may have been wise.. but I figured that if anything was happening I should put a stop to it sooner rather than later. If she had been hurt I'd have certainly called the police, rather than trying to physically intervene. There was just that concern about what might happen to me in the interim.

Basically I began carrying because I wish(ed) to feel less vulnerable on those occasions when I'm potentially at the mercy of someone able to do me great harm. I'm not a white knight of any sort, and don't intend to run around rescuing damsels in distress and looking for a reason to shoot someone.
Mholnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:48   #982
Chris Brines

1. Off duty police officer shot in the parking garage of my apt. complex, 15 minutes after I had left for work and in the exact spot my truck was parked.

2. Man senselessly murdered, shot in the head while changing a flat tire, at a gas station I had been at a few hours earlier.

3. Shootings, shootings and more shootings in my city, in my neighborhood, and for a 30 mile radius of my house

4. What Thomas Jefferson said, every single one of his quotes are ingenious.

5. It's a crazy world out there, and those of us who say "why carry a GUN?" I say, "why not?"

They usually can not answer that question. You'll never catch me trying to be the "neighborhood hero", or the "hero who saved the day", but I will say this much...if someone pulls a gun in my presence for criminal intentions, then my life is in danger. I am not sitting around waiting, hoping they don't decide to shoot me while robbing the store, bank, or whatever else.

For young bucks armed with nothing but fists, I have pepper spray. I would not wanna be the next you know who, but I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6, at least in Texas. God Bless America.

Last edited by Chris Brines; 05-31-2012 at 07:53..
Chris Brines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 20:11   #983
G23Skadoo

Well, the world has become much scarier in all aspects than when I was a kid. After my granpa passed away I wanted to know I would always be ready to protect my grandmother at a moments notice if ever need be. That feeling was reinforced once I met the woman I want to spend the rest of my life with.

But after a man ate another mans face off BY GOD I WILL CARRY A FIREARM.
G23Skadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:34   #984
19x9

I have three reasons. 1) My family, I have four, five, and seven year old daughters, and a wife that is very out spoken. Well lets just say for the better of myself and my family. 2) This world is definately not the same. While those of us with hope are still hanging on, there are alot of us that gave up years ago. That type of person doesn't care about their life, and you and your family are not even a concern when the thought of killing someone comes to mind. 3) Its my constitutional right, and im using it.
19x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:47   #985
ReyFufuRulesAll
Pantless Wonder

Send a message via ICQ to ReyFufuRulesAll Send a message via AIM to ReyFufuRulesAll Send a message via MSN to ReyFufuRulesAll Send a message via Yahoo to ReyFufuRulesAll

When WI started allowing it.

Anything you can't do pantless, isn't worth doing.
ReyFufuRulesAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 21:30   #986
gibsonman

Not one moment, there are just are too many bad people, with bad intentions who will kill you if they can.
gibsonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 22:04   #987
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

In grade school my father (had served in Cook County during Prohib) informed me that I was going to learn to shoot.

Spent two years (2 to 3 days a week, Summers) training me. I liked shooting.

When my state law was passed permitting CCW, I funded the family with guns and training and permits. Since I could, I did.

Later, my SIL got upset with me paying for my daughters divorce (for physical abuse), he was a convicted Felon, and said he was going to kill me and my wife and my daughter, and the kids, if they were with my daughter.

Her attorney asked why I wasn't worried. I told him I caried a gun, my Daughter carried a gun, my whole family carried guns and we like shooting.

He got a big laugh out of it. Turned out the BG SIL and his brother were afraid of guns.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 18:04   #988
uaengineer

1. My constitutional right. Grew up shooting and loved it. Bought my 1st carry pistol at 21, got a permit right after, and carried to this day.

2. Remember a story a few years back about a guy that stopped at Walmart on his way home from work to pick up some diapers for his new baby, and two thugs aged 19 and 17 I think, walked up to him and shot him in the head and stole his truck.

3. Close calls I've had at various parking lots and gas stations. (If you're not aware of your surroundings, I believe pumping gas is one of your most vulnerable situations..along with anything in a parking lot). Used to live in sketchy areas and still pass through them.

4. From above story and various stories about home invasions, gang rapes, etc that took place in neighborhoods around me and ones that you'd never think these things would happen, the determination that no one or group is going to do harm to myself or my family in any shape or form if I can help it. We don't have to back down, and we will never back down.

5. Someone I work with's friend got stabbed getting out of his truck in his driveway a couple months ago. Was able to get to his LCP with Crimson Trace..put the laser in between the bad guy's eyes, pulled the trigger, and click..nothing..bad guy ran away(but that's another story I won't get into).

Last edited by uaengineer; 06-27-2012 at 13:38..
uaengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:24   #989
JimNH

I decided to carry a gun because being defenseless is foolish.

There's no single defining moment; it came more in a series of conversations with friends who'd been robbed or were theorizing about what they'd do in the event that they were robbed. To me, most of their thinking came down to this:

"My jewelry/money/other property is not worth my life, so I'd just give the guy what he wants."

And they were often really defensive about this attitude, the same way people are often defensive about other "common sense" issues that are beyond the scope of this post. But, clearly, it was fear speaking for them, and fear tends to make pretty poor decisions.

My attitude, however, is that you should always fight back if you have a reasonable opportunity. I imagine this attitude is more popular on this forum than in the general public. Not doing so emboldens criminals (and, frankly, makes a sucker out of you). If they have to wonder about whether they'll survive the incident, they'll sure as hell think twice about robbing or attacking someone.

But I had some cognitive dissonance about this. When I was younger, I was robbed twice while working nights at a gas station, and I didn't employ any kind of defense either time. Part of it was that I was forbidden to do so by my employer, but the other part was this "common sense" idea of letting robbers have whatever they want, even if they give you a chance to shut 'em down.

So, upon moving out of New York City (ugh) and into New Hampshire, I decided to walk the walk instead of just talking the talk. I carry every day now, and woe to anyone who tries such a thing on me or in my presence again. Someone has to fight back, and the only person for whom I can make that choice is me.

Last edited by JimNH; 07-15-2012 at 12:35..
JimNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 22:16   #990
Dustypuddle

I got my first ccw permit when I was 21 and let it go. I am now 58 and got another one and started to carry full time with the inside of waste band holster kahr cm9. I live in Eastern washington and we have a alot of not spose to be here's and I don't want to be with out one.
Dustypuddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 22:49   #991
Creatism

I initially got my permit cause thought it was "cool" that I could carry a gun. Had a ND and stopped carrying cause I had a LOT of thinking to do. It took about 6 months of soul searching but i came to the conclusion that i could indeed handle carrying a gun.
Now for the incident that got me to my thinking on carrying. I fell on hard times it was pawn gun and pay rent or become homeless. So I pawned the gun and payed rent. Now while it was pawned, some idiot decided to break into my house, while I was home. Thank god I was able to get him to leave and nothing really came of it except a police report. After the incident the only thought going through my head was the "what ifs" I swear I had PTSD from it cause I new better and was unprepared for such an event, never again. As soon as I could I got my gun back and it has not left my hip since. Except when I pocket a 9mm, (my carry gun is a g36). From that day forward I vowed to be armed as close to 100% of the time as I could. So far I'm at 97-98% so not bad.

Typed from my iPhone with my thumbs!!

Last edited by Creatism; 07-01-2012 at 22:50..
Creatism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 00:36   #992
JONEBGD.

My girl friend and I took a motocycle trip up to see Folsom Prison- after Johnny Cash's album from there. We were camped out by a small river close to the prison when, around, two AM, three guys walked up to our remote campsite as we lay in our bags. One had an axe and one had a pick. They said they were looking for firewood. I was petrified with fear. I had a full sized lighter that I pulled out of my pocket and flicked the top open which gave a distinct click sound in the still night air. I wished them luck - they looked at each other and moved down the river. We did not see them again. I have NEVER felt so in danger and helpless for my girfriend and myself in my life. NEVER again. I now have several hanguns. I carry and shoot for pleasure. I have never had to unholster any of my weapons, but it sure has felt good to know I am protected in certain situations since then because I do carry! That was forty years ago.... Jon
JONEBGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 13:28   #993
Zeebra724

Mine isn't that exciting...but, I used to be a FedEx Express delivery/pickup courier in Norfolk, VA. My wife and I had just had our first son and I had considered getting my permit, especially since it was so easy in VA--also, a number of my buddies had theirs. I was delivering packages in the "projects" one afternoon and found a .357 Magnum casing in one of the sidewalk cracks--that did it for me--even though we lived in Chesapeake, if something randomly happened, I wanted to make sure it was my casings left in the sidewalk cracks instead of my (or my wife's/son's) killer's.
Zeebra724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 18:58   #994
JONEBGD.

Hey, E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra724 View Post
Mine isn't that exciting...but, I used to be a FedEx Express delivery/pickup courier in Norfolk, VA. My wife and I had just had our first son and I had considered getting my permit, especially since it was so easy in VA--also, a number of my buddies had theirs. I was delivering packages in the "projects" one afternoon and found a .357 Magnum casing in one of the sidewalk cracks--that did it for me--even though we lived in Chesapeake, if something randomly happened, I wanted to make sure it was my casings left in the sidewalk cracks instead of my (or my wife's/son's) killer's.
Hey Zebra- EXCITING it doesn't have to be!!!! Increditible fear and helplessness is what I felt. I vowed I would never put myself or anyone I cared about in that position again and I have not. Good for you!! Take Care, Jon
JONEBGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 14:05   #995
Ballisticism
Spray & Pray

The pivotal moment which led to my decision to carry a firearm was when I was assaulted by 3 men who demanded money and probably attempted to rob me (I was choked into unconsciousness for a significant portion of the encounter, so I don't know what happened from the time the big guy got his arm around my neck to when I regained consciousness convulsing on the ground and he graciously granted me permission to leave), and my only recourse was to call the police afterwards and explain what happened, so that they could nod sympathetically and do nothing about it. It led me to realize that nobody else has the responsibility to defend me against attack, and that I have to do that for myself.
Ballisticism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 19:14   #996
Janieoakley
G19 Packin Gal

I decided to get my permit when I was a Realtor and had to go to some pretty dangerous areas at times. I was confronted once in my car during a drive by of a property I was getting ready to list. He was just trying to sell me drugs but when he saw the gun on the seat next to me I think he decided I didn't need any I haven't been without it since. I also NEVER go in Wal Mart without my Baby Glock
Old 07-15-2012, 09:32   #997
CA Escapee
Finally!

I got my permit ASAP when I moved back to the United States.

Bill

Last edited by CA Escapee; 07-15-2012 at 09:38..
CA Escapee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 22:36   #998
mic_g19

I would say the "final straw" was when I found out that one of my neighbors was tied up in his house by burglars in the middle of the day. The killed his dog but let him live. I live in a really nice part of town, nothing ever like this, so to see it start to trickle in... made me realize nowhere is safe. So I bought my gun for home protection and then realized i would need it to be a carry gun after remembering an incident at the Boca Raton Town Center Mall here in Florida, where a lady and her daughter were shot and killed in their SUV in the parking lot when returning to it from shopping. Not going to be a victim, and seeing that I am married now, I have another life to look after.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:37   #999
RCR

For me there were several.
The fact that I was a Realtor and worked in areas many times that were shall we say high risk.
I have gotten deeply involved in politics and am now the state chairman for a Political party.
However the last straw was what I was attacked for by a political group in 2009. Since I consistently have been under threat and a month or so ago received a call at my home telling me that my KIND (openly Christian) was no longer wanted or welcome in the neighborhood I grew up in.
Think I'm joking?? This is the newspaper article from 2009 when this group first came after me. Now I carry a Glock 29 10mm or a Browning High Power daily.
Quote:
Roebuck Springs-South Roebuck Neighborhood Association meeting disbanded when some residents try to discuss president's ouster
Wednesday, April 15, 2009
ANNE RUISI
News staff writer
Residents left peacefully after Birmingham police disbanded a Thursday night meeting of the Roebuck Springs-South Roebuck Neighborhood Association when discussion about ousting association President Richard Rutledge started to escalate.
Resident Everett W. Wess, who in October's neighborhood elections lost a bid for president to Rutledge, tried to bring four resolutions pertaining to Rutledge to the floor during the meeting at South Roebuck Baptist Church.
The resolutions called for asking Rutledge to resign immediately, that he be removed from office immediately, that the neighborhood issue a vote of no confidence against the president and that the results of the votes be sent to the mayor and City Council.
Rutledge repeatedly said he would not allow the resolutions to be presented or discussion of the effort by some residents to oust him.
The situation grew heated when Wess walked to the front podium and tried to play into a microphone what he said was an offensive message Rutledge left on his telephone. Rutledge, who was at the podium, bent the microphone out of the way.
That's when a police officer at the meeting announced the meeting was over and for everyone to leave.
Some residents have said they want Rutledge removed, saying postings on an Internet site for Christian guitarists attributed to him have divided the neighborhood.
Rutledge has said accusations that he disrespects gays and blacks are "hugely offensive to me."
Posts he supposedly made on the Guitarists Praise & Worship, a privately owned Web site, now circulating through the neighborhood were manipulated and do not accurately reflect what he did write, Rutledge has said. Rutledge said he does not disrespect blacks and has worked for years to support diversity in the neighborhood. He said that as a Christian, he personally believes homosexuality is wrong, but does not disrespect gays.
Even if the resolutions were voted on, the outcome would have no force. The Citizens Participation Plan, which governs neighborhood associations, doesn't have a provision for impeachment or removal of an officer, city officials have said.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe."Frederick Douglass

Last edited by RCR; 08-01-2012 at 04:38..
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 14:06   #1000
stolenphot0
RTF2 Addict

Mine was just a simple my neighbor told me to get it. He is a police officer and carries 24/7. not to mention he keeps his house strategically armed and his wife also has a few pistols by her bedside when he works the night shift. He told me "You just never know. Along with that, it acts as a sort of extra insurance policy in the state of Ohio, where just having a magazine loaded and left in your car is a felony if you have no permit.

The $90 class and $67 permit fee is well worth the price if I were to ever be dumb enough to forget to unload a magazine on my way home from the range.

I live pretty close to a nice outdoor shopping center that has parking garages, and a few months ago a guy was walking to his car and got jumped by a couple guys. Luckily the guy ignored the signs and had his pistol on him and ran the bad guys off. Not to mention the crackheads, meth heads and drunks are edging closer and closer to my neighborhood as days go by.

stolenphot0 is offline   Reply With Quote