SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-22-2010, 13:09   #781
Silver01

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeyclaus View Post
I am glad to live in a country that allows me the reasonably effective means of doing so.
If I may break in here. I don't want to sound preachy, but I think it's always important to remind yourself and everyone else, that to keep and bear arms, is not allowed by the government. It's an inalienable right. Rights can't be allowed or forbidden. You just have them. If you get deprived of these rights, it's not because anyone was entitled to do so, but because someone stronger than you (for example because he/she is backed up by an army) is a criminal.
Silver01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 15:05   #782
carloglock19

I decided to carry simply because I can and make full use of this right! No defining momment just want to make sure I have the proper tools and training to protect my family and self if ever needed.
carloglock19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 13:58   #783
Torontogunguy

Nope. I was a sheeple like most. Not antigun just indifferent. Then I had a gun shoved in my nose in Orlando FL in broad daylight in an attempted carjacking by a whacko as high as a kite and escaped with my life and those of my family members. I came straight home and applied for as many permits as I could get my hands on to permit me to carry in as many states as I possibly could. And I began my quest for the perfect carry piece and method.

Two years ago we had an attempted home invasion and it was seconds between the perps getting taken down at gunpoint by LE and them getting in the house. I was on the phone with the 911 operator and had to put the phone on handsfree while she told me to gather my family in a safe place. You're ****tin' me, right? These guys have guns and if they get it there is no safe place. And they are going out feet first I assure you. And with that I had finished getting out my 12 guage, loading it to capacity with 00 self defense rounds and racked the first round. Cops showed up maybe fifteen seconds later and took the idiots down at gunpoint, waited several minutes to allow me to put my shotgun away and then knocked on the door. The rest, as they say, is history. NOT fast enough for me. Today I have a small safe in the bedroom and have cut the time to get armed from 5 or 10 seconds down to perhaps 2 seconds and I am still not happy but need to abide by the law. We also have a guard dog that is the sweetest early warning system you could want and if we push the panic button or the perimeter is breached two 125dB sirens go off, the police are called on landline (buried), and the downstairs and outside lights flash on and off to both alert the intruders and the police during the dark hours and permit us to take good aim and make sure we are not targetting the next door neighbor who has come home with a few too many in his tummy and picked the wrong house.

And.... the next intruder, carjacker or assailant that places me in fear of imminent grievous bodily harm or death is going home feet first. Of that I can assure you. My rules of engagement are ingrained, trained, practiced on a regular basis and autopilot will engage. I also carry the phone numbers of two major legal firms in my wallet and know exactly what to do and say should I ever find myself in a lethal force encounter. And last but not least, I have no pride in turning and running from such an encounter to avoid the grief that such an encounter will most assuredly bring to many people, not the least of whom is myself.

AVOID, but if you cannot avoid take the action that you must and do it without hesitation or thought. It must be reflexive lest the bad guy get the drop on you. Lest the bad guy prove a better shot than you. Lest your family wind up at the short end of the stick.

I know why I carry 100% and I train and practice several times a year, knowing my rules of engagement and my actions following the encounter.

I don't wish a lethal force encounter on anyone, but if you are left without choice walk tall and carry a big stick. Do not hesitate to use it. In a gunfight there is no second place.
There's no such thing as too much training or too much practice....
Torontogunguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 19:59   #784
canoesmith

I moved to AZ, where concealed carry is accepted and encouraged.

I carry a spare tire in my car in case of a flat.
I wear my seat belt in case of an accident.
I take vitamins in case of a cold.

Why wouldn't I train and carry a concealed weapon in case of a life threatening situation.

When I started to carry my wife used to ask me why am I putting that "thing" on. Since then, more than once when in a scary place or confronted with suspect individuals she has whispered to me "you have your gun, right?".

Been carrying for 9 years. Constitutional carry starts next Friday in AZ. Guess who Wants a ccw purse next Friday?
canoesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 21:17   #785
homeyclaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver01 View Post
If I may break in here. I don't want to sound preachy, but I think it's always important to remind yourself and everyone else, that to keep and bear arms, is not allowed by the government. It's an inalienable right. Rights can't be allowed or forbidden. You just have them. If you get deprived of these rights, it's not because anyone was entitled to do so, but because someone stronger than you (for example because he/she is backed up by an army) is a criminal.
Understood, and I thought for some time on how to word it. I guess "does not deny me the right" is a better phrase to use. This being said, this is a right denied to many who legally reside, work, and contribute to the USA while they live here. They may not intend to immigrate, but should be allowed the same protections everyone else is. Just my take. Other people may say that foreigners can FOAD.

Low post count != lack of experience
homeyclaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 21:24   #786
RussP

Folks, if you want to discuss who can and cannot carry, who should or shouldn't carry, this is not the thread for doing that.

Thanks...

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 22:18   #787
Van12

I decided to carry for a few reasons...luckily, none of which were a threat of violence to me or my family...

After buying my first pistol (G19), conversations with some of my family and friends would of course turn to guns at some point. I discovered that 5-6 of my friends and family carried concealed and that it is not only legal, but fairly easy to get with a clean record and a little patience. I've lived in Michigan my whole life, and my father is a retired LEO...but I didn't know until recently that we're a SHALL ISSUE state, Open Carry is legal, etc!

I also learned from my friends, family, and most of the posters on GT that it's not vigilantes and G.I. Joe wannabes that carry...it's NORMAL everyday people that choose to protect themselves this way. When I appeared before our county's gun board last week, there was one fellow in there just like me...and two other guys that brought their families! It was really cool to see that these were upstanding citizens protecting themselves and their families.

It's been quite an education. I've learned a lot by reading up on the law, of course taking the NRA course, magazine/net articles, etc. I can honestly say that I've learned more by reading GlockTalk! The members here are generally very knowledgeable, and they've helped shape my understanding of not only the WHEN and HOW of carrying, but WHY. The amount of responsibility is awesome, but so is the responsibility of protecting my family.

Bottom line, in my mind...I'll have a fighting chance if it hits the fan and I'm put in a life or death situation.

-Van12
Van12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 22:30   #788
vtbluegrass

Virginia Tech, I was at my office on the other side of campus oblivious to what was happening not far from where we sat.
The August before that happened at the beginning of the fall semester some guy in jail got taken to the hospital and broke out from there killing police officers and was finally captured hours later on a trail just off campus. So twice in nine months there were heavily armed officers walking around campus. Kinda surreal.
vtbluegrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 22:32   #789
GeorgiaRedfish

When I realized it was my responsibility to protect me and my girlfriend, and no one else was going to do it. Wasn't a moment i just realized one day before i was old enough and the day after my birthday i went to the Probate court.
GeorgiaRedfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 19:51   #790
crsuribe
10mm Auto

Oh man... I come from Colombia, South America. My dad is an American Citizen who lives there but it wasn't until I turned 24 that I moved to the U.S

I can't even begin to describe all the horrible things I witnessed growing up in Colombia. I've seen random people being murdered, have had people I knew murdered, I was almost kidnapped when I was 3, mugged lots of times... hell I've even been mugged by the cops and so has my dad. In fact, crooked cops stole his BMW and almost killed him.

I've always been into guns. When I was little I won medals shooting pneumatic pistols. My dad had a P7M8 given to him by H&K for helping them fix a problem they had with the military (my dad was friends with all the commanders of the Colombian armed forces back then). This gun, among a few others was stolen from us by my dad's lawyer.

I always wished I could carry a weapon. Everytime I was mugged or assaulted or whenever I found myself in a dangerous situation, I dreamed about having a gun.

So many times I've felt so helpless because I didn't have one... but in Colombia it's next to impossible to legally own, let alone carry a weapon. I mean, sure you can buy a .38spl snubby illegally for $100USD and they'll even give you a box of ammo, or a selective fire, full-auto capable Galil for $2500USD but there's just no way you'll get a permit from the GVT to buy a gun legally and even if you pull it off, a Glock 26 costs about $3500USD after taxes and the only ammo you'll be allowed to buy is their crappy 9mm NATO FMJ which seems way downgraded to me 'cause it kicks about as much as a .22lr should.

It's just ridiculous. In that country only two kind of people are allowed to be armed: GVT officials (cops, Amry, etc) and criminals.

Also goes to show how much gun control really works when there are people who don't give a damn about the law.

Heh, and now I heard they're gonna ban knives and anybody carrying one will receive the same penalties they would if they were caught with an illegal firearm. What a madhouse.

So yeah now I'm in the U.S and I feel lucky as hell that this is a country where people still get to enjoy freedom, at least to a certain extent, which is more than you can say about a lot (or most, or all) of places out there.

I don't have a handgun yet. Only a 10/22 but I'm trying to find a good deal on a G.20 SF, which is my dream gun. I've only been here for a little less than 4 months, so my budget is pretty tight.

After I get my gun, I will take the class and apply for an Ohio CHL and then try to invest in a G.29 for everyday carry.

I've read EVERY post in this thread and several other threads and I refuse to live in fear now that I'm in a country that allows me to arm and protect myself. My wife, who is an American from a pretty traditional American family will do the same. We'll get her a G.26 and her license as soon as we get the chance.
crsuribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:49   #791
DasBulk

That's cool and all. Really good that you got yourself into a healthier enviroment. Welcome to America.
But, 9mmNATO kicking like a 22?
Respectfully, I don't belive you were being sold honest NATO ammunition.
Old 08-05-2010, 19:21   #792
crsuribe
10mm Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasBulk View Post
That's cool and all. Really good that you got yourself into a healthier enviroment. Welcome to America.
But, 9mmNATO kicking like a 22?
Respectfully, I don't belive you were being sold honest NATO ammunition.
That's exactly my point. That ammo seemed 'watered down' to me. When I came to America and bought my 10/22 I went to a public range in my area where I met this really nice guy who offered to let me shoot his guns after he was impressed with my shooting. One of them was a 9mm and even though it was just loaded with white box ball ammo, the recoil and the loud bang took me by surprise. I had fired 9mm's a lot in Colombia and the recoil was always really light, and even back then I knew there had to be something wrong with that ammo. You would always get at least 1 dummy per box of 50. It was ridiculous. Still, it was hot enough for guns to cycle it. And that's all you're allowed to buy for your guns in Colombia, since imported ammo and hollow points are all banned there.

Also, thanks for the Welcome to America.. I love this country and have been very happy since I arrived here.
crsuribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:54   #793
Great Googly Moogly
Shiek Yerbouti

By the time the law was passed, I had grown tired of carrying rifles and shotguns around.
Great Googly Moogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 13:15   #794
Conan1

When Ky passed it CCDW law and I travel back and forth to Nashville 3-4 times per week.
Old 08-15-2010, 20:19   #795
MrSmoofy

In 9th grade I had a gun put to my head during lunch and was told to give up my lunch money which back then wasn't much only a couple of dollars. It turned out it was a starter pistol (but could of been made into a real gun from what I was told).

Every since then it's been in the back of my mind. Then my sister in law's significant other grew up having guns and hunting and showed me his Glock and started teaching my about guns and I now have a G19 and a G27 and my wife has a hamerless 38 special.

I now have my FL, UT, and TN permits and as soon as I figure out what's going to be the best IWB holster I will start carrying.
MrSmoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 18:24   #796
speedseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patronus View Post
I, too, have all the respect in the world for all LE professionals, and I've never had a negative experience with a "routine stop," and I've been pulled over 3-4 times while armed (registration--oops). All positive experiences, never disarmed, never asked to exit my vehicle, etc. .
Not interested in thread jacking but wanted to take advantage of the opportunity...

Curious, did you notify the LEO's that you were armed or did you keep that private? I know some states require notification while others do not.

If you would lke me to move this to another discussion please let me know.
Member: NRA, GSSF, IDPA

Last edited by speedseeker; 08-20-2010 at 18:28..
speedseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:50   #797
Lady Glock

Send a message via ICQ to Lady Glock
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedseeker View Post
Not interested in thread jacking but wanted to take advantage of the opportunity...

Curious, did you notify the LEO's that you were armed or did you keep that private? I know some states require notification while others do not.

If you would lke me to move this to another discussion please let me know.
I have been involved with police at least 4 times while armed.

1 traffic stop, I informed, they said thank you, stay in the vehicle...and gave me a warning.

1 traffic stop, I informed, was told thank you, stay in the vehicle...got a ticket for no seat belt.

1 traffic stop, I informed, was told thank you, stay in the vehicle...got a warning.

1 time I called police for a business trying to give me a gross motel room and refusing my money back. I told the police I was armed, they said they figured I was by the looks of the bumper sticker I had on my van. Thank you for telling them. They looked at the room, told the manager they would help me make a complaint to the health and safety department...he gave me my money back and I was on my way after getting suggestions for a better motel from the police.

Trust in God...Everyone else keep your hands where I can see them!
Lady Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 19:38   #798
RussP

Folks, PLEASE, limit your posts to 1st person experiences.

If you want to explore another person's post, click on the [Quote] icon, copy the post.

Close that window and go to the main Carry Issues forum.

Click the [New Thread] icon. Paste the quoted text and ask your question or make a comment.

Send the original author of the quoted post a PM telling them you started a thread about their post.

Thank you.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921

Last edited by RussP; 08-21-2010 at 19:39..
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 23:12   #799
wjv

I was born in, and lived in Chicago for 24 years. . .

Moved out of Chicago. . .
Moved out of Illinois. . .

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -
wjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:50   #800
Frameman
USMC !968/1970

Liberals and becoming a senior citizen. I'm too old to box and can't run fast anymore but can't bring myself to back down from a fight.