Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-03-2010, 20:32   #741
Priapus

I have had many events in my life that made me always want to have a concealed carry license for protection. I grew up in a pretty rough neighborhood in the inner city. I remember our house was broken into when I was young, like maybe the 3rd or 4th grade. It was while my mom was dropping us off at school, so it had to have taken place within a 15 minute window. They kicked in the front door and went through what they could looking for goods. They found my mom's purse, some video games, and tried to take the tv but couldn't get the cables out. It's scary to know that it was most likely one of our neighbors that knew our schedule. If it wasn't, I don't know what would have happened had we been home...

I was also robbed several times when I was younger, and almost jumped plenty of times as well. Me and my friend had our phones stolen at gunpoint one night, one of the scariest times of my life. Another time my friends were hanging out (I was supposed to be with them but oddly work took a couple extra hours that night) and robbed at gunpoint by several masked hoodlums that pulled up in a car with a gun. They had their phones, keys, wallets, etc. taken, and it shook me up because I was supposed to be there (it was outside of my house).

Now I finally have the money to be able to afford a gun and practice. I took my CCW class and will be applying for my permit as soon as school slows down enough for me to do so.
Priapus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 18:13   #742
1911ES

I had my first CCW in the early eighties. After time I let it expire, due to having chidren in the home, good economy, very low crime in my area and so on.
Fast foward to the present ......... Now, my children have grown, the economy sucks, and criminals and punks seem to do as they please........
So ..... I now carry one of many handguns I've began to enjoy again, as a hobby, and more so as personal protection ....
I will not be victim .....

Last edited by 1911ES; 11-08-2010 at 18:13..
1911ES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 21:23   #743
jack76590

I applied for my permit within a week of shall issue going into effect where I lived. So my answer is passage of "shall issue." Since that time I have continually had a permit from my state of residency, often out of State permits as well.

Last edited by jack76590; 11-08-2010 at 21:24..
jack76590 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:19   #744
JDShannon

Walmart parking lot Black Friday....

My wife and I were meeting up at Wal-mart, and as I arrived in the parking lot (from work) I noticed a car that had collided into a parked car. It had snowed so I thought man that sucks and started over to my wife's car which was heading in my direction. I had grabbed my coat, when i noticed the same car reverse it's course and then hit the gas and broadside a Cadillac. My wife hadn't noticed the car and started to walk out into the lot traffic after parking her car. At this point I yelled at her to stop, and as she looked up the car was gunning it's engine and again was reversing straight for her.....I had closed most of the distance between myself and the deranged driver, and my wife, then drew down on the lunatic. My wife had managed to get out of the way, and as the driver turned towards me and noticed the Springfield XDM .40 pointed at him with firm orders to stop the car, he bailed out of the car. The car started rolling forward and came to a rest against a Ford pick-up F250. The driver however managed to flee, and after the Police arrived had determined that the car had been stolen. I relayed to the police that when the driver first noticed me it seemed that his intention was to run me down, then he noticed the gun....The police took more information from witnesses, and thanked me for saving lives. First however I had to wait to receive my gun back after they watched the surviellance tapes. I couldn't even imagine what could of happened if my wife had the kids with her. God protects us by putting guns in good peoples hands.

Last edited by JDShannon; 11-30-2010 at 09:23..
JDShannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:28   #745
JDShannon

New here!!

By the way in my previous post I had an XDM .40 cal, but I am a Glock fan too!!
Old 12-03-2010, 01:30   #746
JDShannon

Multi-state ccw permits

I now have an Idaho CCL and an Oregon CCL. Thinking about a Utah CWP, which covers about 33 states plus the other two CCL's. With an Oregon CCL I don't actually need an Idaho CCL other than to forego the background check in Idaho.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:41   #747
KommieforniaGlocker

My defining moment, was when a couple of guys tried to kick the door in into my home from the back master bedroom with me and my young wife (we were newlyweds) the only thing that made them run like hell was the sound of the rifle being racked.
KommieforniaGlocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 20:40   #748
Lady Glock

Send a message via ICQ to Lady Glock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Glock View Post
I am a survivor of a violent rape. The sub-human who attacked me was coming up eligible to see the parole board and he had promised me when he got out of prison, I was dead.

I have 2 kids to protect, so I took the class, got my CCW, bought my first gun and went into some extreme training courses to make sure I was prepared no matter what the situation.

I now own a .44 special (charter arms/bulldog), 2 .45s (a glock 30, and a ruger P345), a 9mm and a .25 (both astras).

I am waiting for my CCW to be issued in the new state...I was previously permitted in Colorado.
This is still mostly true except I now carry a Glock30, and I sold the 9mm. I have my new CCW for MN and the non-resident from PA. The creep had another parole hearing and was thankfully denied...but it's alway close. Every 3 years I get to beg for them to understand why he shouldn't be released...he is a 5 time felon, the attack on me was his 5th felony conviction...how many did he do that he wasn't caught for? I am NEVER without...from the moment I put on my clothes in the morning until I lay down at night...and then it's beside me.

Trust in God...Everyone else keep your hands where I can see them!
Lady Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 23:00   #749
captain5104

I have several reasons why I carry a gun.

1. On my 18th instead of buying cigarettes and lottery tickets I applied for a CCP. I also joined the United States Army.

2. After getting out of the Army I felt like something was missing... a gun filled that void.

3. After working in the capital city of my state on the East side of it aka the worst part of the city I never wanted to return without a weapon. Especially, after working 5 to 6 shootings in a shift and having some thugs point loaded AK's at my truck.
captain5104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 23:08   #750
Search

Three reasons from most to least important why I carry (off duty):

1) I refuse to be a victim

2) I don't want to be recognized and targeted in Walmart off duty

3) I have a soft spot for protecting women Yes.. ladies first
Search is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 02:05   #751
JDShannon

Why I carry

First I wanted to apologize for previous reply's that were off topic, I just got my membership and still learning the lay of the land.

NE ways I first decided or should I say made a concious decision to CCW carry (off duty) when there were several break-ins in my neighborhood, cars, homes etc. I also do not want to be noticed as an off duty LEO and be targeted unprepared. I finally have talked my wife into CC and am in the process of buying her a firearm. After much research on my part via internet, news stories, I have made a pretty good case to her on the importance of carrying a gun whether concealed or open. I think the most persuasive context came in the form of her protecting our children when I am not present. I also am concerned about the fact that addresses and personal info are readily available online to anyone who wants to look, as a personal practice I don't answer the door without having an insurance plan on my person ie (XD subcompact or G22). Of course I also have a back-up plan and a back-up to the back-up plan.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:50   #752
crsuribe
10mm Auto

Like I've said before (not sure if I posted on this thread before), I came from a country where only the cops and criminals carry guns. It also happens to be one of the most dangerous countries in the world, go figure. So when I got here, I wanted to make sure I never felt helpless again, so I took it upon myself to defend my family and myself.

*I love USA*
crsuribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:19   #753
apache36

simply put.....because i love my family, because i live in america, and because i can...
apache36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 20:46   #754
G22DaD

This year, I started really thinking about what all has happened to my immediate family (my mother and father, that is). over the years.

When I was a baby, we were the victims of a home invasion. A man busted through the front door (this was a mobile home in 1969) and claimed he was being kidnapped. Then, up followed two other men (those were the ones the first man was claiming was trying to kidnap him) stating that he was drunk/high and was out of control; whom they were trying to get home. My mom scooped me up and ran me to the back bedroom and hid me underneath the bed covers, and grabbed dad's .22 High Standard--with one problem--she couldn't find any rounds. Ok... so she comes out, with the wheelgun and points it right at the first guy and orders him to leave. Ultimately, the men left. When dad went to clear the gun, he discovered it was empty and he just about passed out.

Second, my dad was robbed by some junkie with a switchblade knife early one morning while dad was waiting for his truck to be loaded with his day's deliveries.

Luckily, the guy(s) just wanted the money and tossed dad back his wallet and ran.

I am fortunate to say I have not been robbed or jumped in any way (yet). I have practiced Taekwondo for 18 years now and, hoped that was enough. Boy, who was I kidding? Well, up until now, I just thought that I would need some lofty reason to get a carry permit; that it would be more trouble than it was worth, until my dad got one. Even then, I just sat on arse and did nothing.

Then, this summer-late, I just decided to go for it. That was this last September, and I haven't looked back since.
I'm not looking for any trouble, just trying to take the nessesary steps to protect myself and my family, should similar events one day find us, too.

Live, Laugh, Love...Center Mass!
G22DaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 21:05   #755
blackouthx

I was car jacked at gunpoint with my wife and 2 children in the car.
Old 12-29-2010, 23:42   #756
RyanBDawg

Because I turned 21 and that is when I could legally carry...

My step-dad has been carrying for many years, so I guess it was just natural that I followed suit!
RyanBDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 23:18   #757
Ferdinandd

I don't have a CCW permit for OH where I currently live, but am planning to get one whithin the next few months. I had one for NY where I live previously. I'm seldom in a place where I feel the need to carry, but have had a couple instances where it would have been nice to have. I live in a good area with almost no crime, but one can't plan for being the rare victim, and that's why I want to carry. I'm responsible for the protection of my self and family and that's the bottom line.
Ferdinandd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:22   #758
tshadow6

My decision

I started carrying on my person when I began my career as a Correction Officer in 1990. Living in Florida most of my life, I've kept a gun in my car on a daily basis. That is legal in Florida as long as it is in a holster and not touching any person. Since I've been in the Corrections business, I've encountered dozens of my former inmates while off duty. Factor in today's threats from religious zealots and every day predators, I am nearly always armed.
tshadow6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:23   #759
Gary1911A1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshadow6 View Post
I started carrying on my person when I began my career as a Correction Officer in 1990. Living in Florida most of my life, I've kept a gun in my car on a daily basis. That is legal in Florida as long as it is in a holster and not touching any person. Since I've been in the Corrections business, I've encountered dozens of my former inmates while off duty. Factor in today's threats from religious zealots and every day predators, I am nearly always armed.
I'm retired from Corrections and have had similar experience. I think I can say I fully understand and I carry daily.
Gary1911A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:15   #760
coachrj
meat

My brother-in-law was closing up the Walgreen's store where he is the manager, when a young punk came up behind him and put a gun to his head. He was forced to go inside, unlock the safe, give the punk all the money- all while on his knees and begging for his life. The punk told said he knew my bro-in-law had kids and that he didn't care- he'd kill him if didn't stop fumbling with the lock. Only by luck and willpower was he able to stop shaking enough to open it. The punk took the money and let him live. When I saw him that night he grabbed me, gave me a hug, and said, "I thought I would never see you again."

I carry everywhere. Taking out the garbage. Walking the dog. Cleaning the gutters. Mowing the lawn. Running outside in my pajamas to get the mail.

On that day, evil showed that it doesn't care if you are an awesome father, a truly nice person, and a great brother. Evil will take your life if you aren't prepared to stop it.

That's one of the moments that made me a believer in CCW.