Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:08   #741
Getwild2
Mac Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewalk View Post
Yeah I know but I am used to carrying a full sized gun. I have 4" guns on my CCW permit with the exception of my 2" .357 Rossi. I just feel more comfortable with a full sized handgun. I know smaller would be more concealable and comfortable but I am more confident with the larger framed guns.
Ewalk,

Glad you're still with us, first of all. Second, would you mind giving us a few lines on the aftermath immediately following the shooting such as what occurred between the shooting and your hospital stay? I'm always curious about the LEO aspect of a self defense shoot, there's always a lot for us to learn in that area.

Thanks so much and stay safe!
-GW2
S&W M&P 9c, 40c
Ruger LCP, 22/45 Mark III
Getwild2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 20:06   #742
05_psd_erik
\/ Why I Carry

Hello All! New here and love this thread! I should be the proud owner of my first Glock (G30 od) by this weekend!

I, thankfully, have never had a 'moment' that just made me 'know' I need to CC. But with having just gotten married last year and now awaiting the arrival of our daughter, I decided now was the time to become proactive in my and my family's safety. The best way I have seen this expressed is this; "<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5CKrystal%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026"/> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:shapelayout v:ext="edit"> <o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1"/> </o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->'The True Soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because He loves what is behind him." - G.K. Chesterton
05_psd_erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:11   #743
ubersoldat

I was told I was coming to America.
ubersoldat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:26   #744
Wastelander
NEVER BACK DOWN

I use to think that I didn't "need" a ccw in my neck-o-the-woods. About two weeks ago a coworker told me that his roommate was walking back from his girlfriends house late at night/early morning when he was jumped, beaten, and robbed by two "thugs." That really opened my eyes to the world I live in. It's not a fear, but rather a real strong dose of "it can happen anywhere." I have since enrolled in a ccw class next month and I plan to carry when I can afford an compact or subcompact gun.

G21C, G22, G33
Wastelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:26   #745
PrimitiveBeasty

Being nineteen years of age, I have about a year and a quarter until I am legal to get a permit to carry concealed. I am set on getting it as soon as possible. I have the "moment" given below, which solidified a resolve I already had to get a permit, and this thread has managed to strengthen that resolve even further.

My defining moment didn't happen to me, so to speak. I managed to run across the video of the death of Deputy Kyle Dinkheller. The video image itself isn't so disturbing or upsetting, I would say - it's the sound. I've never heard anyone scream like that man did as he was killed, and hope I never hear anyone else scream like that again. The man that killed him was a plain whack job. It illustrated vividly for me that there are people out there that will do crazy, senseless, and violent things, for no reason that the rest of us can see. I couldn't imagine trying to fend off a lunatic like that (who did have a gun - M1 carbine, so the various sources say) with only a knife or a baton or what have you. I would have a gun if I ever ran into someone like him. I resolved to never die in such an unfortunate manner as Kyle Dinkheller, nor let any of those around me suffer the same fate. I think what happened to him was horrible, and wish it hadn't happened (as we might feel about all such crimes), but it is certainly something for us to learn from.

Having fully recovered from watching the video (it did screw with me pretty bad, for about a week), I could say that I would rather have watched it than not, given what it taught me about life and this world. That said, I will not watch it again for a long time, if ever. And I strongly caution anyone who might watch it - it is disturbing and upsetting. Any person it doesn't affect I would say is either a rock or the same kind of nutcase criminal in the video. As for the repulsive being that did the killing, he was caught two days after the crime, and is currently on death row, having failed in a series of attempts to change his sentence.

Last edited by PrimitiveBeasty; 04-08-2010 at 08:27..
PrimitiveBeasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:30   #746
MacG22
CLM Number 213
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimitiveBeasty View Post
Being nineteen years of age, I have about a year and a quarter until I am legal to get a permit to carry concealed. I am set on getting it as soon as possible. I have the "moment" given below, which solidified a resolve I already had to get a permit, and this thread has managed to strengthen that resolve even further.

My defining moment didn't happen to me, so to speak. I managed to run across the video of the death of Deputy Kyle Dinkheller. The video image itself isn't so disturbing or upsetting, I would say - it's the sound. I've never heard anyone scream like that man did as he was killed, and hope I never hear anyone else scream like that again. The man that killed him was a plain whack job. It illustrated vividly for me that there are people out there that will do crazy, senseless, and violent things, for no reason that the rest of us can see. I couldn't imagine trying to fend off a lunatic like that (who did have a gun - M1 carbine, so the various sources say) with only a knife or a baton or what have you. I would have a gun if I ever ran into someone like him. I resolved to never die in such an unfortunate manner as Kyle Dinkheller, nor let any of those around me suffer the same fate. I think what happened to him was horrible, and wish it hadn't happened (as we might feel about all such crimes), but it is certainly something for us to learn from.

Having fully recovered from watching the video (it did screw with me pretty bad, for about a week), I could say that I would rather have watched it than not, given what it taught me about life and this world. That said, I will not watch it again for a long time, if ever. And I strongly caution anyone who might watch it - it is disturbing and upsetting. Any person it doesn't affect I would say is either a rock or the same kind of nutcase criminal in the video. As for the repulsive being that did the killing, he was caught two days after the crime, and is currently on death row, having failed in a series of attempts to change his sentence.

That video really affected me as well. This book in this thread mentions it as well (briefly) but made it really hit home for me. Before you start carrying you may find some value in the book:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthre...tions+violence
Old 04-08-2010, 11:50   #747
cousin15

I was always in to firearms, and had planned on getting my CPL in MI. The defining moment that accelerated the process was having my home broken into while I was working and my girlfriend was grocery shopping.

The feeling of being violated and unsafe in my own home was a big motivator. This is most important when I come home from work. What if I had walked in on them and they were armed? Now I am always armed and ready.
cousin15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:41   #748
Mrs.Cicero
Wayward Member

I was packing in the backcountry in Glacier National Park in summer of '95 when I was stalked by a cougar, and I decided as I was heaving rocks at his snarling, creeping self that I would never backpack again without a very large gun...

Mrs.Cicero, not lunch for cougars or cannibals

"Oh bother," said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Mrs.Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 17:52   #749
HemiR/T

The impetus for me buying my first handgun and applying for my CCW is as follows. I live in town where a man going through a nasty divorce decided to take it out on his wife's attorney and walked into his office and proceeded to shoot two lawyers, the receptionist, and a mailman who happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. The youngest lawyer and the mailman did not survive. He holed up in the office and SWAT had to take him out. A shock to a small community where a bunch of country lawyers used to keep their doors open to all, a shock to my wife and our friends who work in either the district attorney's office or the courthouse and knew the victims personally, including the mailman who was also a pretty talented guitarist and played locally. My wife decided not to apply for her CCW which is her choice although it makes me worry, but I have tried to make her familiar with my S&W 642 in hopes she changes her mind. Needless to say I'm around LEO's and probation and parole officers a lot, and I get lots of free and sound advice on handguns, ammo, and personal defense and safety.

Jack
Old 04-21-2010, 05:03   #750
23owner

I didn't really have the moment of fear like many of you had to, Thank God, but basically I think I just came to my senses.
My wife has wanted a security system in the house for years. We live in a very small town and there's really no crime here, so I keep saying we don't need it.
One night a couple months ago, I woke up dead awake in the middle of the night and said to myself, "If someone had just broken into my house, what am I gonna do about it?" Looking around the room, there wouldn't have been anything I could have done. I didn't have so much as a large knife around.
This was the impetus for purchasing my G23. A firefighter buddy of mine carries 24/7, even to church :-). After talking to him and a few other friends that have encouraged me for a while to get armed, I realized that it's too easy to get a CCW permit to do without.
Now I'm just trying to convince my wife to learn to shoot my G23 and get something she can carry daily. I hopefully can replace the fear of entering the house alone at night with confidence to ward off an intruder if she had to.
23owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:15   #751
Proxstud

I am a former US ARMY M1A1 Tank Gunner. I have used many different type of weapons and had the privilege of shooting the 120mm Smooth Bore Sabot round as a Gunner.

When I left the Army and became a citizen, I was focused on my future, my schooling and career. Several years had past and I eventually married but never got my CHL as we call it in Texas. (Concealed Handgun License).

When I purchased our new home and was expecting my first child, I realized that I could not protect my family if someone broke into the house. I got a Shotgun and a Rifle and moved on.

3 Years later, I realized that as I take my family out around town that I may not be able to protect them away from the home and decided it was time for me to WAKE UP and get my CHL.

I could not believe it took me that long but life has a funny way of getting in the way. Once I started thinking straight, I realized it was my responsibility to protect my family and my neighbor if I ever had to do so.
Proxstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 13:14   #752
betes

Send a message via AIM to betes Send a message via Yahoo to betes
There are 3 recent events which have weighed heavily on my mind and definitely influenced me to finally sign up for a CCW class. First is that I had a guy pull a gun out and point it at me in traffic because he thought I cut him off. Second is the shooting death of a robbery victim after he complied with all of the requests of the assailants. Third is when I was sitting on the OB floor at the hospital where I work when a thuggish looking guy ran straight into the nursing station, unzipped a pocket, and pulled out a small bag of drugs that he then shoved into his butt right before being caught up with by security. It was a huge surprise and I remember thinking that he could just as easily have pulled a knife or gun.

Last edited by betes; 05-28-2010 at 09:32..
betes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 23:09   #753
Dream to Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimitiveBeasty View Post
My defining moment didn't happen to me, so to speak. I managed to run across the video of the death of Deputy Kyle Dinkheller. The video image itself isn't so disturbing or upsetting, I would say - it's the sound. I've never heard anyone scream like that man did as he was killed, and hope I never hear anyone else scream like that again. I resolved to never die in such an unfortunate manner as Kyle Dinkheller, nor let any of those around me suffer the same fate. I think what happened to him was horrible, and wish it hadn't happened (as we might feel about all such crimes), but it is certainly something for us to learn from.
This is the first time I've actually seen the video. It's horrifying, it's profoundly disturbing, and I cried afterward (quietly... the family is asleep), but I'm glad that I watched it. I'm fortunate enough to spend my days with good people, and sometimes I forget why my gun is on me whenever I leave my home.

Thanks for posting this. It was harsh, but I needed a reminder.
Dream to Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 00:47   #754
VitruvianDoc

My father is a retired LEO, served 30 years before retiring due to PTSD after a severe incident in which his Glock 17 took 4 lives in order to save his own including a bullet to the slide which saved his.

My father raised me around guns, always teaching me the safety and how to handle them from the earliest age that I can remember. Fast forward to June 2008, my dad retired and gave me his Gen 1 glock 17 service weapon. I was 20 at the time and so kept the weapon at home. Turned 21 a few months later, put off the idea of CCW.

Come Feb 2010, My fiance and I were out of town and got lost in a new town during an interview for medical school, experienced an attempted car jacking at multiple gun point, luckily escaped with life and hide in tact. Took the CCW course and submitted app the next day (literally) and received license in the mail a few weeks ago.

Glock 17 proved bulky to CCW, invested in new 26 for $510 after tax. Got the basic with regular sights and three clips and a free tauga leather holster thrown in. I CCW daily now with Gold dot LE 147 HP ammo.

1st year Medical Student

Last edited by VitruvianDoc; 05-23-2010 at 00:51..
VitruvianDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 09:23   #755
Wasatch
was "Patronus"

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitruvianDoc View Post
My fiance and I were out of town and got lost in a new town during an interview for medical school, experienced an attempted car jacking at multiple gun point, luckily escaped with life and hide in tact.
Glad you're OK.

Could you give us more details of the incident? We could probably learn something from it.

Let's start a new thread to discuss this, please...

Thanks

RussP

Last edited by RussP; 05-23-2010 at 09:58..
Wasatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 12:34   #756
VitruvianDoc

Edit - Starting new post see "Attempted Carjacking"

1st year Medical Student

Last edited by VitruvianDoc; 05-23-2010 at 12:37..
VitruvianDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:43   #757
HoldHard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patronus View Post
Glad you're OK.

Could you give us more details of the incident? We could probably learn something from it.

Let's start a new thread to discuss this, please...

Thanks

RussP
"Attempted Carjacking" Link to new thread from VitruvianDoc

HH

Last edited by HoldHard; 05-24-2010 at 12:44..
HoldHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 22:01   #758
glockfan9
1911Fan9 :)

well i turn 20 in a few months but already on my second gun, i assure you the day i turn 21 i will have my ccw permit. but there were a few defining moments for me even as a youngin lol.
-First, was only about 10 at home and large male tried to get into the house, luckily my grandfather (FDLE) was in town and ran him off and arrested him
-second, about 2 years ago my mom was picking up my little sister from her elementary school bus stop appx 200yds away from my house and a 23yo male decided he didnt want her parked out front of his house and he pulled an old revolver out and pointed it at my mother and 9yo sister. i wasnt there but watching cops fly past my house w/ guns drawn and the thoucht of loosing my mom and sister hit my hard ( even scary to think about now).
-third was me personally, family was out at the movies i came home about 9pm after work, walked in the house and dogs were barking and sprinting around the house very angry ( 3 rottweilers) i walk past a hall and glance over to see a window open and i dont realize it until im half way upstairs.. i sprint up the remaining stairs and lock myself in my room. the dogs continued to bark then they were fine.i sat in my room with a loaded walther p22 ready to fire. very scary moment for a 18yo. i called 911 and they said they would send someone over and i called my mom to come home, mom was home in 3 min and local PD... 3 HOURS! they thought i said there "was someone in my house" and they send a dept over to fill out a report. they didnt take anything and idk if any one actually made it through the house or the dogs scared them away.
- overall, i kno im young but have been raised around firearms and a family and friends in law enforcement. i have been properly trained on how to handle a firearm and i am a very responsible young adult. so with that i say that i will very surely take advantage of the 2nd amendment and my states laws allowing me to carry my ever so wonderfull G19RTF2 thanks for listening everybody
glockfan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:10   #759
FireForged
Millenium #3936

NO defining moment... I began to vote when I was old enough.. I bought beer, when I was old enough and I got a ccw when I was old enough. It was just something I felt like doing and was allowed to do so at a certain age, so I did.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:24   #760
combatmedic78
SempreEnHostes

My two tours in Iraq made me see that I never wanted to be a disarmed civilian with no way to protect myself or my family(future). I hate the feeling for being unready or unprepared for when certain things happen.

BTW, Patronus, I dig your picture of Porter Rockwell. I did a book report on him when I was in the 8th grade.
combatmedic78 is offline   Reply With Quote