GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-23-2009, 00:14   #661
tedwhite

I was an LEO in Kalifornia. Now I live in South East Arizona, in comparison a walk in the park. But mental memory is like muscle memory. I never leave home without a piece. I would feel quite stupid if a situation developed and my Kimber was home in a drawer.
tedwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 18:43   #662
amd4me
Coffee Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detectorist View Post
I can understand your question.

Joanne Lispcombe Police Officer. http://www.odmp.org/reflections.php?oid=165
I just read this on ODMP, it made me tear up.
Quote:
JoAnne, I remember the tragic night as if were yesterday. I also remember we spoke a few days prior to that and you were the same professional Cop with a great sense of humor...

Before I left Missouri in 2003 I visited BlackJack park. There was a ray of sunlight shining on one particular bench so I decided to sit there. Out of 20 or so benches the one I choose was the one dedicated to you. You got me again. RIP
Old 09-26-2009, 07:49   #663
StoneRaven

I did not have defining moment, so to speak. My father often carried when I was young, and I simply grew up with the idea that it was normal to be prepared to defend you and yours against those intending harm.

I did have a "reaffirming moment" many years ago. It was Christmas 1986 and I was 25 years old. My young family (wife 26yrs; son 3yrs; daughter 2yrs) and I had traveled to middle Tennessee to visit our families for the holidays.

After a two day trip including multiple stops to visit parents, in-laws, grand parents, and grand parents-inlaws, we were loaded down with gifts. As we headed out of town to return to our home in Atlanta, we stopped in the parking lot of a shopping center, near the interstate, to better situate the overflowing load of gifts in the back of the 1984 Chevrolet Blazer.

Back then, hardly any businesses were open during the Christmas Holidays, and the parking lot was completely empty. We had barely come to a stop when an old, beaten station wagon came screeching to a hault about 30 yards away from us on the passenger side of my vehicle. Two men immediatly exited the vehicle and began approaching the passenger side of the Blazer where my wife was seated. One was holding a baseball bat.

At this time in my life, I had no knowledge of the Awareness Color Codes, but in hidsight my mind went from code yellow to orange to red in a split second. I exited my vehicle while telling my wife to lock the doors. I stepped around the front of my vehicle and unholstered my weapon, a Taurus PT92AF. I held the pistol at low ready and took the safety off. Both men immediately stopped, and the empty handed one put his hands in the air. The one with the bat gave me a haunting grin, as if to say "well played", and then they simply turned around and walked to their still running vehicle. They both got in and were gone almost as quickly as they had shown up.

It took 100 miles for my blood pressure to get back to normal.

I now carry daily and have not since had the missfortune to have to draw my firearm with the intent to defend myself with lethal force.
StoneRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 08:51   #664
Wasatch
was "Patronus"

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneRaven View Post
I did not have defining moment, so to speak. My father often carried when I was young, and I simply grew up with the idea that it was normal to be prepared to defend you and yours against those intending harm.

I did have a "reaffirming moment" many years ago. It was Christmas 1986 and I was 25 years old. My young family (wife 26yrs; son 3yrs; daughter 2yrs) and I had traveled to middle Tennessee to visit our families for the holidays.

After a two day trip including multiple stops to visit parents, in-laws, grand parents, and grand parents-inlaws, we were loaded down with gifts. As we headed out of town to return to our home in Atlanta, we stopped in the parking lot of a shopping center, near the interstate, to better situate the overflowing load of gifts in the back of the 1984 Chevrolet Blazer.

Back then, hardly any businesses were open during the Christmas Holidays, and the parking lot was completely empty. We had barely come to a stop when an old, beaten station wagon came screeching to a hault about 30 yards away from us on the passenger side of my vehicle. Two men immediatly exited the vehicle and began approaching the passenger side of the Blazer where my wife was seated. One was holding a baseball bat.

At this time in my life, I had no knowledge of the Awareness Color Codes, but in hidsight my mind went from code yellow to orange to red in a split second. I exited my vehicle while telling my wife to lock the doors. I stepped around the front of my vehicle and unholstered my weapon, a Taurus PT92AF. I held the pistol at low ready and took the safety off. Both men immediately stopped, and the empty handed one put his hands in the air. The one with the bat gave me a haunting grin, as if to say "well played", and then they simply turned around and walked to their still running vehicle. They both got in and were gone almost as quickly as they had shown up.

I now carry daily and have not since had the missfortune to have to draw my firearm with the intent to defend myself with lethal force.
Wasatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 12:49   #665
Torontogunguy

One has an immediate gut reaction to say that you should have held them for the police... only problem is that they had done nothing wrong and you would have been charged with forcible confinement or worse. Well played.

We have had TWO home invasions. One successful. They ran as soon as we screamed like little girls and took our pots and lamps with them. Go figure. High as kites?

Second home invasion; prepared myself for an entry but they were ultimately taken down by police at gunpoint and taken away. They were using prybars to try and gain entry..... high as kites? Our doors are half glass (albeit reinforced).

Third time lucky. Orlando Florida just a couple of years ago. Home of Mickey. Guy doesn't like the way I am driving or my Ontario Canada plates and comes over with a revolver strapped on (open carry) and pulls it out and sticks it right in my nose. Wife and kids sleeping. Light turns green and I floor it and leave him eating dust and he fortunately does NOT open fire.

When I am stateside and permitted to carry legally I do so 24/7/365 without fail. I would rather forget my wallet than my protection.

You don't have to go looking for trouble. It will find you. We have depended on GPS for our travels for many years now and sometimes it takes into areas that we would rather not be. You know them at a glance. It is comforting to know that you have an equalizer on hand.

You handled your situation with great aplomb and did what was right. The old saying "Johnny, Johnny, run away... come back and play another day" should be an ingrained rule in your mind. If you have an escape route, take it. I have heard too many stories of legitimate shootings where the good guy spends $50K on his or her defense and loses their permits and guns either temporarily or permanently. It is all about training. And knowing as early as humanly possible what is going on around you at all times so you can foresee what is going to play out. I never sit with my back to the washroom or entrance in a restaurant for example. And when I go to orange or yellow my hackles go up and I am prepared... my chair is moved back, I make sure I have a clear escape route for family and myself, etc.

One last thing. YOUR FAMILY should know the colours of the rainbow as well. Have a talk with them about things like moving away from you, moving to cover, diagonal movement, distancing and running like hell. We initially went with code words but decided that it was simpler to simply say, "heads up" or "take cover" or "run like hell somethings going down". My wife did not like the talk at all. AT ALL! But afterwards said she felt much more comfortable knowing that we were better protected than the average Joe and that we at least had some sort of action plans in place.

Training. Training. We never wear anything fancy or gold, etc., when travelling. We dress down. Way down. And so on. Like I said, you don't have to go looking for trouble, it will come to find you. Be prepared. Stay safe.

And never go without protection; and while some feel that it means that your calibre needs to start with a "4" that is not true. Better to be able to place shots well than to have a round go through two walls and kill someone watching TV as has happened so often. I carry a 9mm, .40 and .45 as my situation dictates - and try to carry the larger calibres when I am able (i.e. if I am wearing a suit I will carry a larger .45). And I use only the latest and best engineered rounds for self protection and carry three 10 round magazines and sometimes one in the tube depending on how I am carrying. If I cannot avoid doing it I will carry my 9mm Glock 26 with ported barrel and know that my shots will be well placed until the threat is stopped. And I visit the range regularly to play IPSC/IDPA. No sense shooting at stationary targets unless I am setting my sights or just checking out my handgun. You need to be practicing while on the move and you need to be moving diagonally and away from your bad guy and perhaps towards cover if available close at hand. But... be moving. It messes them up and FBI and LE studies have shown that your chances of avoiding a hit increase by 70 percent if you are doing so. And especially so if you are in reaction mode as reaction lags action.

Stay safe. I'm off my soapbox. I guess you can tell how strongly I feel about the matter and it just pains me to no end being up here north of the 49th. and unable to protect myself in public, although, to be honest, the violent crime rate (although increasing contrary to popular opinion) is still very very low. Toronto, for example, a city of several million people only had something like 50 something murders all of last year. We have been in cities stateside where that is a monthly number on top of all of the survived shootings, stabbings, rapes, armed robberies, home invasions, etc. It is just a different society for now... but as the bad guys realize that pickings are easier up here guess where they are going to be coming? Like Orlando FL, Compton CA, etc. Easy pickings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneRaven View Post

There's no such thing as too much training or too much practice....
Torontogunguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 13:02   #666
Wasatch
was "Patronus"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torontogunguy View Post
One has an immediate gut reaction to say that you should have held them for the police... only problem is that they had done nothing wrong and you would have been charged with forcible confinement or worse. Well played.

We have had TWO home invasions. One successful. They ran as soon as we screamed like little girls and took our pots and lamps with them. Go figure. High as kites?

Second home invasion; prepared myself for an entry but they were ultimately taken down by police at gunpoint and taken away. They were using prybars to try and gain entry..... high as kites? Our doors are half glass (albeit reinforced).

Third time lucky. Orlando Florida just a couple of years ago. Home of Mickey. Guy doesn't like the way I am driving or my Ontario Canada plates and comes over with a revolver strapped on (open carry) and pulls it out and sticks it right in my nose. Wife and kids sleeping. Light turns green and I floor it and leave him eating dust and he fortunately does NOT open fire.

When I am stateside and permitted to carry legally I do so 24/7/365 without fail. I would rather forget my wallet than my protection.

You don't have to go looking for trouble. It will find you. We have depended on GPS for our travels for many years now and sometimes it takes into areas that we would rather not be. You know them at a glance. It is comforting to know that you have an equalizer on hand.

You handled your situation with great aplomb and did what was right. The old saying "Johnny, Johnny, run away... come back and play another day" should be an ingrained rule in your mind. If you have an escape route, take it. I have heard too many stories of legitimate shootings where the good guy spends $50K on his or her defense and loses their permits and guns either temporarily or permanently. It is all about training. And knowing as early as humanly possible what is going on around you at all times so you can foresee what is going to play out. I never sit with my back to the washroom or entrance in a restaurant for example. And when I go to orange or yellow my hackles go up and I am prepared... my chair is moved back, I make sure I have a clear escape route for family and myself, etc.

One last thing. YOUR FAMILY should know the colours of the rainbow as well. Have a talk with them about things like moving away from you, moving to cover, diagonal movement, distancing and running like hell. We initially went with code words but decided that it was simpler to simply say, "heads up" or "take cover" or "run like hell somethings going down". My wife did not like the talk at all. AT ALL! But afterwards said she felt much more comfortable knowing that we were better protected than the average Joe and that we at least had some sort of action plans in place.

Training. Training. We never wear anything fancy or gold, etc., when travelling. We dress down. Way down. And so on. Like I said, you don't have to go looking for trouble, it will come to find you. Be prepared. Stay safe.

And never go without protection; and while some feel that it means that your calibre needs to start with a "4" that is not true. Better to be able to place shots well than to have a round go through two walls and kill someone watching TV as has happened so often. I carry a 9mm, .40 and .45 as my situation dictates - and try to carry the larger calibres when I am able (i.e. if I am wearing a suit I will carry a larger .45). And I use only the latest and best engineered rounds for self protection and carry three 10 round magazines and sometimes one in the tube depending on how I am carrying. If I cannot avoid doing it I will carry my 9mm Glock 26 with ported barrel and know that my shots will be well placed until the threat is stopped. And I visit the range regularly to play IPSC/IDPA. No sense shooting at stationary targets unless I am setting my sights or just checking out my handgun. You need to be practicing while on the move and you need to be moving diagonally and away from your bad guy and perhaps towards cover if available close at hand. But... be moving. It messes them up and FBI and LE studies have shown that your chances of avoiding a hit increase by 70 percent if you are doing so. And especially so if you are in reaction mode as reaction lags action.

Stay safe. I'm off my soapbox. I guess you can tell how strongly I feel about the matter and it just pains me to no end being up here north of the 49th. and unable to protect myself in public, although, to be honest, the violent crime rate (although increasing contrary to popular opinion) is still very very low. Toronto, for example, a city of several million people only had something like 50 something murders all of last year. We have been in cities stateside where that is a monthly number on top of all of the survived shootings, stabbings, rapes, armed robberies, home invasions, etc. It is just a different society for now... but as the bad guys realize that pickings are easier up here guess where they are going to be coming? Like Orlando FL, Compton CA, etc. Easy pickings.
All good points, but this post would do better as a thread all by itself, IMO.
Wasatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 09:17   #667
dabestbank

I live in New Orleans and I bought my first gun while evacuated for Katrina. My dad taught me to shoot and I shot in competitions with him before but always borrowed his guns. With everything going on back home I didn't feel safe without one. A couple of months after that there was two events that finally lead me to get my CCW. First my neighbor was outside one night working on his car and someone came up to him with a gun and and forced him into his house and robbed him. We lived in what I thought was a safe gated neighborhood but after the storm everything wend down hill. We eventually moved into a better neighborhood. The second event happened about a week later my wife's grandpaw was riding his bike in his neighborhood, which he has done everyday for the last 20 years, and was robbed at gunpoint. After the I got my CCW and have been carrying for the last 4 years.
dabestbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 12:16   #668
bend2jam

Very specific defining moment: I had a neighbor's pit bull jump through a window and come after me while I was on a riding mower. I was able to keep it between me and it but, it proved, stuff can go sideways in an instant! I decided that day that I'd much rather "have it and not need it than need it and not have it."

I went out the very next day and purchased a Glock 23. Switched to a 27 within six months for concealability/comfort.

Bend
bend2jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 17:02   #669
Torontogunguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bend2jam View Post
Very specific defining moment: I had a neighbor's pit bull jump through a window and come after me while I was on a riding mower. I was able to keep it between me and it but, it proved, stuff can go sideways in an instant! I decided that day that I'd much rather "have it and not need it than need it and not have it."

I went out the very next day and purchased a Glock 23. Switched to a 27 within six months for concealability/comfort.

Bend
I swear I had a muscle spasm in my groin after reading this one. This one wins hands down (at least for all the guys reading it).
There's no such thing as too much training or too much practice....
Torontogunguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 19:45   #670
40 glock

I'm a father, husband, and red blooded american. What other reason do I need?
Old 10-13-2009, 21:12   #671
jortega
Earl & Efren

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 glock View Post
I'm a father, husband, and red blooded american. What other reason do I need?
I like your thinking!
jortega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 21:15   #672
jortega
Earl & Efren

I was stabbed 9 times when I was 16 (now 27). Three guys jumped and beat and stabbed me relentlessly. I was in ICU for 2 days and in hospital for 7days. All three were caught within a week.

A few months ago I got a letter from the parole board saying that one of the guys was released. Im not really worried about that guy but it made me relive the most traumatic event in my life.

The guy has since broken parole and is back to prison with his boyfriend!

Karma is a mutha!
jortega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 05:36   #673
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patronus View Post
....Defining Moments - What made YOU decide to CCW? .
Wife was transfered to Miami.
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 09:28   #674
hiredgun73

Go forth and multiply

I have been a "gun nut" since I was about 10 years old and drew my first silhouette for target practice. My dad took me out and let me shoot his S&W Mod 27-T and I was hooked with 10 Ring on the first shot. (Like any good father, he was holding my little hands and guiding me in the right direction.) So, I was no stranger to firearms.

At 15 I had a gun put to my head. Decision made. Law said no. I started carrying a handgun in the glove box at 17. (One guess for you on the make and model.) This is remarkable in that even when stopped by LEO for speeding etc, nothing was ever said. This was late 80's Charlotte, NC.

As soon as the NC saw fit to give us our rights back, I got mine. In 2001 I took the Bible literally, and got my instructor's certification so that I could "go forth and multiply."
hiredgun73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 05:23   #675
cmoore2980

I got my CCW about a year ago, didn't really have a good reason aside from my dad pushing me to do so. I started carrying daily about 4 months ago following a double homicide literally 100 feet away from where I work.
cmoore2980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 20:43   #676
DScottHewitt
EMT-B

Send a message via AIM to DScottHewitt Send a message via Yahoo to DScottHewitt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patronus View Post
I want to briefly describe two incidents that led me to the decision to carry a firearm for self-defense. And if YOU had a defining moment--or numerous ones--that led to your CCW decision, then I think it would be interesting to read about them.

My story isn't very exciting, but I do hope you'll share your "defining moment(s)" with your GT compadres.

Brief Background
I grew up in a family that only occasionally hunted. My dad had a .22LR rifle and a bolt-action .30-06 for deer. As for "incidents," I'd witnessed a few road-rage episodes and the like, but no weapons were ever involved and no deadly threats--perhaps one possible threat of serious bodily harm at age 15 (road rage, again).

Defining Moment
It was around October of 2002. My wife and I were working on starting a family, and my mind was occupied by the responsibilities of a husband and future father. One morning, I was listening to a local radio talk show -- Salt Lake City area (Bob Lonsberry - visit www.lonsberry.com) -- and Bob was talking about CCW (he's a CCW'er and a vocal advocate for it), and he urged his audience to read a column he'd written regarding CCW entitled "This is Why I Carry a Gun." (He wrote two versions--one version for a general audience and another version for Guns & Ammo.)

I read both articles, and it was as if lightning had struck me. Paternal instinct? Maybe so.

The Decision
Long story short, from late 2002 till early 2003 I did a huge crash course in firearms (handguns mostly) and CCW--via the Internet, books, magazines, friends, etc. I'd handled Glocks in the gun shops and took a particular liking to the Glock 19, but budget constraints forced me to settle for a Kel-Tec P-11, which I eventually purchased in early summer of 2004 and could legally carry concealed one month later, UT permit in hand.

Like I said, not that exciting.

I hope you'll chime in and tell us about your Defining Moment(s).
I finally dropped a pair. Felt the FAMILIAL AND SOCIAL obligation to be a SHEEPDOG. Was not really a defining moment. Just grew up and decided to TAKE RESPONSIBILITY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
DScottHewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 21:55   #677
GlockRock19

Multiple reasons...

I started seriously thinking about getting a HG & CPL a year ago.

I live in a small town where there is almost no serious crimes.
Last year we got to read about a nice guy (NG) coming out of a Chinese restaurant with carry-out. Before he can shut his car door all the way, a young perp in his late teens yanks it open. He proceeds to stick a gun in his face yelling the N-word, give me your wallet, N-word give me your phone N, N, N, , etc. Thankfully the NG was not shot. The perp and his two accomplices were arrested.

However,

the growing trend is to shoot people anyway even after they give up what the perps want.

This has been happening a lot in S. E. Mich with carjackings.

I'm polite and respectful to everyone. If I make a mistake in traffic (rare), I wave in an apologetic manner. I can talk my way out of a lot of potentially bad things before they even go south. Also, I avoid a lot of bad places/people by default. Too bad that's not good enough anymore. I'm not going to live in fear like a sheep and be a victim.

I've been carrying a nice knife for work and PP, but that is not enough and I'm not Italian so...
Several months of saving up $, Joining the NRA & MCRGO, learning all of the carry laws and trying several models at the gun range multiple times. I took the CPL class paid all the fees and now I'm waiting for the CPL to arrive to get my HG. In the meantime I discovered GSSF so I can save on a G19.

Last edited by GlockRock19; 10-22-2009 at 21:58..
GlockRock19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 14:32   #678
Dogguy

Sorry. Ignore this post.

I was interrupted in the process, hit the "Save" button and tried to back out but I couldn't erase the unfinished comment since my "message was too short".

Sometimes (most times!) I really hate computers!

Last edited by Dogguy; 10-23-2009 at 14:37..
Dogguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 23:13   #679
XelderX

My defining moment...

It got cold one day and I put a jacket on which covered the gun.
XelderX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 23:35   #680
Defender77

No defining moments for me, I just want to be there and be able to do something if "that day" ever comes.

I guess it's the sheepdog blood in me.
Defender77 is offline   Reply With Quote