Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:50   #826
crsuribe
10mm Auto

Like I've said before (not sure if I posted on this thread before), I came from a country where only the cops and criminals carry guns. It also happens to be one of the most dangerous countries in the world, go figure. So when I got here, I wanted to make sure I never felt helpless again, so I took it upon myself to defend my family and myself.

*I love USA*
crsuribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 06:19   #827
apache36

simply put.....because i love my family, because i live in america, and because i can...
apache36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 19:46   #828
G22DaD

This year, I started really thinking about what all has happened to my immediate family (my mother and father, that is). over the years.

When I was a baby, we were the victims of a home invasion. A man busted through the front door (this was a mobile home in 1969) and claimed he was being kidnapped. Then, up followed two other men (those were the ones the first man was claiming was trying to kidnap him) stating that he was drunk/high and was out of control; whom they were trying to get home. My mom scooped me up and ran me to the back bedroom and hid me underneath the bed covers, and grabbed dad's .22 High Standard--with one problem--she couldn't find any rounds. Ok... so she comes out, with the wheelgun and points it right at the first guy and orders him to leave. Ultimately, the men left. When dad went to clear the gun, he discovered it was empty and he just about passed out.

Second, my dad was robbed by some junkie with a switchblade knife early one morning while dad was waiting for his truck to be loaded with his day's deliveries.

Luckily, the guy(s) just wanted the money and tossed dad back his wallet and ran.

I am fortunate to say I have not been robbed or jumped in any way (yet). I have practiced Taekwondo for 18 years now and, hoped that was enough. Boy, who was I kidding? Well, up until now, I just thought that I would need some lofty reason to get a carry permit; that it would be more trouble than it was worth, until my dad got one. Even then, I just sat on arse and did nothing.

Then, this summer-late, I just decided to go for it. That was this last September, and I haven't looked back since.
I'm not looking for any trouble, just trying to take the nessesary steps to protect myself and my family, should similar events one day find us, too.

Live, Laugh, Love...Center Mass!
G22DaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 20:05   #829
blackouthx

I was car jacked at gunpoint with my wife and 2 children in the car.
Old 12-29-2010, 22:42   #830
RyanBDawg

Because I turned 21 and that is when I could legally carry...

My step-dad has been carrying for many years, so I guess it was just natural that I followed suit!
RyanBDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 22:18   #831
Ferdinandd

I don't have a CCW permit for OH where I currently live, but am planning to get one whithin the next few months. I had one for NY where I live previously. I'm seldom in a place where I feel the need to carry, but have had a couple instances where it would have been nice to have. I live in a good area with almost no crime, but one can't plan for being the rare victim, and that's why I want to carry. I'm responsible for the protection of my self and family and that's the bottom line.
Ferdinandd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 07:22   #832
tshadow6

My decision

I started carrying on my person when I began my career as a Correction Officer in 1990. Living in Florida most of my life, I've kept a gun in my car on a daily basis. That is legal in Florida as long as it is in a holster and not touching any person. Since I've been in the Corrections business, I've encountered dozens of my former inmates while off duty. Factor in today's threats from religious zealots and every day predators, I am nearly always armed.
tshadow6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:23   #833
Gary1911A1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshadow6 View Post
I started carrying on my person when I began my career as a Correction Officer in 1990. Living in Florida most of my life, I've kept a gun in my car on a daily basis. That is legal in Florida as long as it is in a holster and not touching any person. Since I've been in the Corrections business, I've encountered dozens of my former inmates while off duty. Factor in today's threats from religious zealots and every day predators, I am nearly always armed.
I'm retired from Corrections and have had similar experience. I think I can say I fully understand and I carry daily.
Gary1911A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:15   #834
coachrj
meat

My brother-in-law was closing up the Walgreen's store where he is the manager, when a young punk came up behind him and put a gun to his head. He was forced to go inside, unlock the safe, give the punk all the money- all while on his knees and begging for his life. The punk told said he knew my bro-in-law had kids and that he didn't care- he'd kill him if didn't stop fumbling with the lock. Only by luck and willpower was he able to stop shaking enough to open it. The punk took the money and let him live. When I saw him that night he grabbed me, gave me a hug, and said, "I thought I would never see you again."

I carry everywhere. Taking out the garbage. Walking the dog. Cleaning the gutters. Mowing the lawn. Running outside in my pajamas to get the mail.

On that day, evil showed that it doesn't care if you are an awesome father, a truly nice person, and a great brother. Evil will take your life if you aren't prepared to stop it.

That's one of the moments that made me a believer in CCW.
Old 01-14-2011, 18:05   #835
Wasatch
was "Patronus"

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachrj View Post
My brother-in-law was closing up the Walgreen's store where he is the manager, when a young punk came up behind him and put a gun to his head. He was forced to go inside, unlock the safe, give the punk all the money- all while on his knees and begging for his life. The punk told said he knew my bro-in-law had kids and that he didn't care- he'd kill him if didn't stop fumbling with the lock. Only by luck and willpower was he able to stop shaking enough to open it. The punk took the money and let him live. When I saw him that night he grabbed me, gave me a hug, and said, "I thought I would never see you again."

I carry everywhere. Taking out the garbage. Walking the dog. Cleaning the gutters. Mowing the lawn. Running outside in my pajamas to get the mail.

On that day, evil showed that it doesn't care if you are an awesome father, a truly nice person, and a great brother. Evil will take your life if you aren't prepared to stop it.

That's one of the moments that made me a believer in CCW.
Does your brother-in-law CCW now in the aftermath of this?
Wasatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 00:54   #836
coachrj
meat

I hope so. He's not a GT'er though.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:11   #837
glockvit
Glock Sportsman

When I know that all the bad guys have guns and no permit. And most of the good guys have guns... some with permit, some without. So many people are packing and they are all around me. Then, why should I not get one, too. Thus, I believe it was to get a CCW so that I can at least have something legal to say that I am allowed to carry. Of course my 12 gauge at home make me feel better, too.

...glockvit
---GSSF---
glockvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:33   #838
Torontogunguy

I am a member of a popular RVing forum and their philosophy seems to be mainly... I keep safe by keeping aware of what's going on around me. To which I responded, that's what I thought until I had a revolver stuck in my nose just outside of Disney in Orlando; and had an attempted home invasion at 3 a.m. by two druggies with guns who were trying to pry open my front door although the alarm was going and the lights were flashing.... and the doors were HALF GLASS.

My words to the 911 operator? "Sweetheart, if these guys come through my door and enter my home uninvited at 3 a.m. they are leaving it one way and one way only and that is feet first". The LEO's arrived just in time to take them down at gunpoint (we are talking HEAVY gunpoint here). I would not have hesitated for one second to take them out - the blood spatter would have been on the inside of my hallway. Case closed.

More importantly than "when did you start carrying and why" would be "what are your rules of engagement, do you practice them and are you prepared to carry them out?". I my case, they are very clear cut. As Ayoob says "If I am in fear of imminent grievous personal harm or death to myself or my loved ones (I am entitled to use lethal force)" my rules of engagement have been reached and I, by practice, would not hesitate for one fraction of a second in stopping the assault/threat. Once the threat is stopped, you MUST be prepared to stop or face the consequences of your actions.

I practice regularly, play IPSC and am ready at all times to protect what I hold dear.

When did I decide to start carrying? The very first time that my life was directly threatened and I had no recourse and no gun. I will not visit Florida again until they recognize non-resident permits.
There's no such thing as too much training or too much practice....
Torontogunguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:27   #839
pbs357

When I was about 5, my parents were victims of an attempted mugging in a parking garage.

A few years later my mom was robbed of her purse and jewelry in the hallway of our local mall.

I stopped an attempted home invasion while visiting my parents - but was only carrying because I was test-driving how my buddy's G23 felt, that he was trying to sell me (it would be my first Glock). It not only made my decision, but changed my entire family's decision (brother, sister in law, etc) who were all anti's until that day. They demanded that I leave my gun in the car, which I obviously refused. After I chased off the BG who was kicking at their front door, the first words out of their mouths was "where's your gun?"
pbs357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:52   #840
Royo
BCPD

I like what a previous poster said which was:

A gentleman should carry a loaded gun.

I am in my 26th year of a Law Enforcment career. I have had contact with thousands of people and arrested and put lots of people in jail . I have sent people to prison for years and I know sometime they are going to get out. (Some won't ever but I worry about thier friends)

We live in a dangerous time in a very dangerous world. If you are not prepared you are letting yourself and your friends and family down .
Old 01-15-2011, 09:52   #841
Torontogunguy

And that's always the way isn't it? My cousins used to "tsk.tsk.tsk" me when I told them we had guns. Until the neighbor was killed during a home invasion. I think the quiety went out and bought a shotgun.
There's no such thing as too much training or too much practice....
Torontogunguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 22:38   #842
palladen1331

defining moments

I joined the us air force in1942, they issued me a 1911 45 acp auto. I have been carrying the same kind ever since. its just like the watch on my arm I feel lost with out it.I have two things I am very serious about, MY GOD and my gun,my GOD is first but i always carry my gun
Old 01-27-2011, 17:37   #843
forgottencoast

My wife and I were eating supper at a pizza hut in a little North Florida town. I notice a guy circling the restaurant looking into the windows, had an AK on his gun rack in his truck. He kept circling and looking. I went to the counter and was not at all surprised to learn it was an angry ex-boyfriend of a waitress. I told my wife to go to the ladies restroom and not to come out until it was all over. I asked the manager to call the law. The guy circles for another 10 minutes and leaves right before the law gets there. I was unarmed and helpless and vowed I would not be stuck in a potential shooting box with no way to defend myself again.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:44   #844
Aaron1100us

Send a message via Yahoo to Aaron1100us
I didn't really have a defining moment. I've just been waiting for the right time to come. I've had my Glock 22 for 10 years now. Back then, I was going to get my CCW but where I lived, you pretty much had to have death threats against you in order to get one. So I just kept the G22 around for target practice and getting rid of coons in my mom's barn on occasion.

Just this year, Iowa passed the "shall issue" law. I'm going next month to take the class then apply for my permit.

With the way things are going on in the world, who knows when something bad will happen? I live in the second largest city in Iowa. Pretty small for a city but they call this "Little Chicago". A lot of gang and drug activity around. I work the midnight shift and sleep during the day. So I'm out and about in the evenings and at night most of the time.

Another reason to carry is what I do for a living. I work security at a fairly large hospital. We have three psych units here. I deal with psych patients, drug users, criminals and other not so nice people. I get threatened all the time by these people. Just recently, a female co-worker of mine was confronted by a previous psych patient at a convenience store. She had to deal with while that person when they were a patient here and they remembered her. Luckily nothing happened but she did get PD involved. I'm just waiting for time time when I come across someone that I've pissed off while I'm out in public somewhere.

We do wear bullet proof vests at work but no weapons besides our ASP batons and pepper spray. Wish they would let us carry at work. Our vests do work though, got to test one out with my G22. A few years ago, we got new vests and our supervisor gave me an old vest to test out. 10 feet away with my G22 and 165 grain target rounds. The vest had no problem stopping them.
Aaron1100us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:10   #845
MadMonkey
Spershul Furces

Send a message via AIM to MadMonkey Send a message via Yahoo to MadMonkey
My dad was a missionary/evangelist, and while he didn't believe self-defense was wrong, he didn't carry a gun (we had plenty, but not for defense). He did, however, end up in several incidents where I would have DEFINITELY used one (one involved our crazy neighbor holding a deer rifle at my dad's head and screaming that he was going to kill him... just for an example). Dad was always calm as ever in those situations, and he never got hurt. Unfortunately... I'm not my dad, so after seeing things like that and watching the world change as I grew up, I decided to start carrying a gun as soon as I could.

Like most of you, I hope I never have to use it, but I made it to the point in my mind that I won't hesitate if I need to. It took some explaining to some other members of the family (considering their "non-violent" style), but they've come around to the idea that even though they might not be violent, other people sure are....

Ah well. Convincing others is a never-ending process.
MadMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:13   #846
Aaron1100us

Send a message via Yahoo to Aaron1100us
Ha, yeah, that would be pretty stupid. Not sure if it was real or not but I have seen some youtube videos of idiots doing just that.

Years ago, I worked security at a shopping mall. One of the stores was throwing away an old mannequin torso made of dense foam. So that's what I put the vest on. None of the bullets went through but it sure did leave some deep dents in the foam. Its funny in the movies when you see someone get shot who is wearing a bullet proof vest and they get up and act like nothing happened. I bet in real life, you could possibly have broken ribs and some huge bruises from being shot with a vest.
Aaron1100us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:14   #847
wmkglock19
G21sf .45 ACP

I obtained my CPL first when my son was born, I always thought about me being a little under 6 feet tall and about 150 Lbs, that my self alone would not be able to protect my son, wife and myself against a larger assailant. So I started carrying my Glock with me but not ALWAYS, Sometimes I would use the excuse "Oh I'm only out for a few minutes I don't need it" until a Police Officer was shot and killed down the street from my house by a home invasion suspect that they had been following. That really hit close to home. My uncle was a homicide detective for 20 years. I am also trying to pursue a career in law enforcement, so this event encourages me to carry everyday where ever legal and allowed in order to protect my family.

-Will
Old 02-02-2011, 13:06   #848
timtx1

I had been thinking about getting a gun for a long time. Last year there was a guy that broke into a house in my neighborhood and attacked the guy living there with a knife. He said he was looking for his ex-wife or something. It was just some nut. This neighborhood is very safe and I had never heard of that happening here before. Well, the guy left for some reason and the cops came and had the helicopters and dogs looking for him. They never found him.

I have a young kid. I don't want to be in some fight with someone in my home and risk my child getting hurt. If someone breaks in, I'll give them one chance to leave or my Glock 23 will make sure they're not doing anyone any harm.

As for CCW, I had a friend that was held up while going to an event in town. When I'm away from home and outside my element (and more in someone else's), I want something to give me an edge to protect myself so that my child continues to have a father in their life. But, I think the incident last year really got me motivated to get a gun and then CCW was just a natural extension of owning one for me. Of course, I missed the class this last weekend, but should have the class completed soon and have my license in hand within a couple months.
timtx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 15:35   #849
tuf8seconds
TEXAS COWBOY

Send a message via Yahoo to tuf8seconds
My heros have always been cowboys!!!!!

Keep on Glockin'
tuf8seconds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 16:51   #850
coorsleftfield

I moved to Phoenix
coorsleftfield is offline   Reply With Quote