Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-16-2010, 23:10   #641
Snareman

I work in an ER and deal with a lot of crazy patients. I can see one going home with my name on their Motrin prescription upset that they didn't get percocet. My last name isn't very common, so you could probably find me without too much trouble. One of our docs actually had to get a restraining order against a patient. There seems to be a lot of craziness out in the world these days and I'd like to not be a victim of it.
Snareman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 16:17   #642
Stablefall
CLM Number 246
Charter Lifetime Member

Because I was tired of trying to figure out where, when and how I could legally carry in my vehicle when going to the range. I also believed it was my right without the state giving me their blessing.
Stablefall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:52   #643
cmac212
Praise Jesus!

Because we can! Living in a "shall issue" state doens't hurt, either I refuse to be a victim...crime is on the rise EVERYWHERE. Never say "it won't happen to me" because it will. I am very new to CCing, still waiting on my holster and belt to get here (after trying 3 others, hopfully finally I've got it right!). My brother-in-law opened my eyes to CCing...after that, my wife and I both went and bought guns, applied for our permits and that was all she wrote. I don't know why I thought I could carry a G22 comfortably concealed, so I bought the G27, too! I will do anything to protect myself and my family...thankfully I haven't had to yet, and hopefully never will. But my wife and I are BOTH ready.
:50cal:
cmac212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 14:34   #644
ChucklesG21
CCW'ing a 21

Zombie Attacks of course! Hahaha, all jokes aside. A friend of mine was shot and killed at an ATM machine in a "good" part of the town I live in. That was probably one of the first things that made me want a CCW permit. Another reason is probably the simplest one out there: The bad guys have guns, why shouldn't the good guys?
Old 01-25-2010, 21:44   #645
ncglock19

I was brought up in a home where guns were not "tools of Satan." My dad was an avid hunter, duck deer, quail, dove and went with his buddies all during the different seasons.

I got my 410 at age 7, and hunted until school took me in other directions. My dad passed about 7 years ago, and I held on to one of his shotguns. I've always been interested in reconnecting with shooting, and when Obama was elected, it was a wake up call, if I didn't have a pistol soon, there might be a good chance that I would never have the right to buy one in the future.

I took a basic pistol course at a local range in January 2009 and requested some permits for purchase. Work kept me busy for many months, but in August, I took the opportunity to visit the local range and rent quite a few semi-auto pistols. I kept gravitating towards the Glock 17. Of course, for CCW purposes, I started renting their 19 and during Thanksgiving week spent 4 separate days at the range.

I did the same during the week after Christmas, and on the last day of the year, asked the sales guy if they had any new Glock 19's with factory night sights. The owner said they had 2 coming in. I asked to reserve one. I got it the 2nd week in January 2010.

I'm going to take another basic pistol course that covers the care and feeding of my Glock 19. I've also signed up for the CCW class that will be held in April on my birthday, no less. It's just screaming karma. :D

So, to boil this all down, my desire to get my CCW is the fear that somehow the 2nd amendment to the Constitution may be buried 6 feet under. I'm looking forward to getting it.

joe
ncglock19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:06   #646
Big2wheeler

I live in Las Vegas,Town is full of crooks and beggers.My own bank is hesitant to let me withdraw my own money they are so paranoid about getting ripped off by a scammer.They require 2 forms of i.d. and you must know answer to secret question.OMG
Big2wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:18   #647
DasBulk

No defining moment to speak of. Sort of just felt like something I SHOULD do.
There is no logical reason NOT to.
There are people out there that will do what they want and to who they want with no remorse or measurable sense of consciences. They will do this with any tools they have at hand and for the most part, those individuals will arm themselves with a firearm.
So with that in mind, as long as firearms exist, there will be a need to counter act them with equal and opposite force should they be employed with villainous intent.

Simply put, as long as there are guns being used against the good, the good will need guns.

I consider myself a "Good Person".
Old 01-30-2010, 06:36   #648
USAglock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1969 View Post
I was robbed at gunpoint of a rifle at my place of employment on July 26 2003, and almost again on October 18, 2003. That was the wakeup. I thought I was going to have actually use a gun to defend myself against a car-jacking in 2005, they guy grabbed the door handle at a gas station after I decided I wanted a coca-cola. I know he saw the glock, because after I yelled he didnt want my truck, he turnt tail and ran off. The barrel of the glock was pressed against the glass.

And one more incident years ago, some punks in a car pointed a revolver out the window of a white hyundai. I wish I had a gun then, because know when I think back about that incident the police where called and it took them almost an hour to respond. And I remember the retarded-ass manager coming out asking why in the hell did I drive like a maniac and almost take out 2 of the gas pumps. He said he was going to call the cops and I had to leave. I told his sorry behind he would drive like a maniac if someone pointed a gun at him, and maybe he should call the cops. He did and when they got there, they stayed for 30 seconds, and no report. Low and behold a few months later, I saw the same car with the same 4 guys.

Do you know the fear of looking down the barrel of a rifle pointed at you, not knowing if that moment in time is the last?? If the thug decides to be a heartless asshat and shoots you for your last 15 dollars.?? It sucks, and I refuse to be a victim again. Im not saying Im gung-ho and am looking for an excuse to just shoot someone. Its far from that, but if I have to defend myself, I will.
And the crime that happens on a daily basis, is another reason.

Many, many, many glocktalkers have had a similiar experience and dont wish to selected to be a victim again. And those that havent, dont want to be the next one.
Interesting story, thanks
USAglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 08:15   #649
Raiderman

I don't have a defining moment in my life that urged me to carry. But when the defining moment comes...I'll already be carrying.
And it could be a defining moment for a crook to decide he should get another line of work.
Carolina Glockers: #6671
"Courage is being scared to death - and saddling up anyway." - John Wayne
Raiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 20:34   #650
Diesel_Bomber

When I was 19, I had an acquaintance come to my door with a gun and tell me he was going to kill me and everyone who lived with me, and then did his best to make good on his statement. I will not go into details but obviously I'm still here, and so is everyone who was in my house at the time. Decided it would have been a lot easier to handle had I had a gun, too. Made sure that was the case from then on, and got my CHL ASAP after turning 21.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Diesel_Bomber; 02-07-2010 at 00:55..
Diesel_Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:08   #651
Fortycal

The political climate beginning in 2006 is what started me down the road to conceal carry.
Fortycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 20:51   #652
Rick50
average guy

I had a job that I dealt with certain types of induviduals that I needed to carry when not at work
Rick50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 21:56   #653
Scott3670

The reason I carry is because I feel that the police will not be able to respond to my particular emergency when/if it ever happens. I'm not implying that the police are less than attentive to my needs but there are 40,000 people in my county and about 100 police officers/sheriff's deputies. With those odds, I decided to increase the likelihood that I will survive any situation that arises.

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.
Scott3670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 20:23   #654
Cool Impala Glocker
NRA Member

My story....

Hey there ya ll!! New to the site and glad I found ya! For me..I've always been fascinated by guns..cant say the same for my wife tho. The reason I decided (have yet to obtain FULL permit..class in 3 weeks) to start carrying concealed is because of a few series of events. I will try to do my best..so if this is lengthy..please pardon my babbling.

Reason 1: Where I currently reside..this subdivision..one might say this is a prominent place to live. This town is more for the wealthy (which I'm not) and more laid back folks. My house sits nestled right in the thick of the ADULT community..meaning folks who are better than 60+. Really nice folks. You may think BG may want to case this subdivision since we're all old, so to speak. Me and the wife..we're in our mid 30's, so we're practically kids.

Reason 2: Some might say I drive a flashy Impala with illegal tints, illegal headlights (HID's) and some other illegal modifcations on my 07 impala. That car truly is a chick magnet..I don't hafta do anything but just put the sunroof back..drive with some good tunes and be cool.

Reason 3: I'm hard of hearing to moderately deaf. I'm not stone deaf...but you dont need to HOLLAR..ya know?

Reason 4: We were drivin down the main road in our town..and we just missed this episode by 2 minutes tops. Cops came flyin down and turned into this gas station not no more than 50 feet ahead of us. While one cop turned in..a buncha other cops flew like a bat outta hell to get on the interstate. Turns out...it was a drug deal gone bad. The buyer wanted drugs...so buyer/seller met at a gas station..did the deal. Buyer gave seller counterfeit money...buyer gets out of sellers car..starts walkin..and next thing he knows..he's full of holes. Runs to the front door of gas station and dies walking in. Seller was caught a few good miles down the road. There was 5 guys in the celebrity(?) car and all have been sentenced for 1st degree murder.

Last...but not least...where we live..is considered the upper end of middle class to lower end of upper class section. The next town north of us (7 miles) is a really rough town and it continues for another 15 or 20 miles north. Really rough stretch of 20 miles north. It's slowly creeping down towards us.

Wife....she detests guns. Wont have nothing to do with em. After reason #4 happened...she told me to march to the nearest gun store and buy a glock pronto. So I went and bought a glock 27. Nice little gun. Wife actually asked me to teach her how to shoot and hold it. She does great for a very very begining shooter..her only problem is she needs to keep her finger on the trigger guard.

Anyway..thats my story. I have class on the 27th of March and when I get my permit..its gonna be on me all the time. I currently have my glock catagory 2 (i think its called cat 2).

Glad to be on this site for all the info/reviews/stories and whatnots!!
Cool Impala Glocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 15:27   #655
Willieboy

Growing up on the south side of Chicago where violence reigns supreme.
Old 02-15-2010, 23:22   #656
Spen84107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willieboy View Post
Growing up on the south side of Chicago where violence reigns supreme.
It only took driving through the south side of Chicago ONCE for me to feel justified in carrying a gun. And, then it was reaffirmed when I accidentally took the wrong exit and ended up in GARY, IN.
40 S&W Club #8410
Kalashnikov Klub #5
Spen84107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 16:13   #657
Getwild2
Mac Aficionado

I thank God I haven't had any major instances in my life causing me to CCW, I was simply born and raised in Flint, Michigan and I hear about threats and lives lost on a daily basis in and around our city. I currently live in an upper-middle to upper class suburb of Flint, though crime can occur anytime, anywhere as it is no respecter of persons.

I decided to obtain my CPL just over 3 years ago. I haven't had a lot of experience with guns, in fact, my first was a Glock 17C bought used. I started going to the range and thoroughly enjoyed the sport. One day I stumbled upon GT and started reading a lot of your posts, I found myself in the "Carry Issues" sub-forum and from there began to learn about my opportunities. As a kid or teen I had always thought "it would be cool" to have my "CCW", but now, an adult see a real need and responsibility to my family. I realized the responsibility to protect myself so I am around for my family, in addition to my immediate and extended family and friends, whomever I'm with.

Since obtaining my CPL I can count on two hands the number of times I haven't carried in over 3 years, and those were simply times when it wasn't lawful for me to carry. My EDC is as a part of me as anything else. I am thankful for the right to carry, it has changed my life. Being that myself and my family hadn't really had the gun exposure, my family thought I was strange when I decided to get my CPL and start carrying. They didn't disagree but rather asked, "why would you want to carry a GUN anyways?". As I type this my dad is an avid surfer of GT as well as my brother, both of which now have their CPL's and carry daily and/or often. I was also able to convince my brother (the pastor of my church) to allow a CPL class for members desiring to take that step. Nearly a dozen took the class and almost 10 have followed through with obtaining their CPL.

I ponder scenarios daily, read GT daily, read Massad Ayoob's materials and watch all of the crime shows on TV (mostly non-fiction) to learn all of the possibilities in which I may have to defend myself. I also plan on taking 4 different advanced classes this summer/fall to strengthen my skills as well as begin participating in IDPA. I hope and pray sincerely that I have carried this weapon on my hip for no reason whatsoever. I pray I completely wasted my time, money and energy and never need to use it, however if one day I do, I'll be glad to have had it and been trained to use it.

Thanks for all of your great posts!

Edited to add:
I'm not sure who wrote this but I've seen it here and there on the internet in different forums. I also haven't seen it yet on this thread, perhaps it is already here and if so, I'm sorry for the repost. I'd love to know more background on the author.

Why I carry a gun...

I don't carry a gun to kill people. I carry a gun to keep from being killed.

I don't carry a gun to scare people. I carry a gun because sometimes this world can be a scary place.

I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid. I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world.

I don't carry a gun because I'm evil. I carry a gun because I have lived long enough to see the evil in the world.

I don't carry a gun because I hate the government. I carry a gun because I understand the limitations of government.

I don't carry a gun because I'm angry. I carry a gun so that I don't have to spend the rest of my life hating myself for failing to be prepared.

I don't carry a gun because I want to shoot someone. I carry a gun because I want to die at a ripe old age in my bed, and not on a sidewalk somewhere tomorrow afternoon.

I don't carry a gun to make me feel like a man. I carry a gun because men know how to take care of themselves and the ones they love.

I don't carry a gun because I feel inadequate. I carry a gun because unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate.

I don't carry a gun because I love it. I carry a gun because I love life and the people who make it meaningful to me.
S&W M&P 9c, 40c
Ruger LCP, 22/45 Mark III

Last edited by Getwild2; 02-16-2010 at 16:20..
Getwild2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 00:12   #658
Ewalk

First Post Ever!!!

After much consideration I chose to join the GT community.

in regards to the subject of this thread,
I went into a store to buy an energy drink and when i cam out there were two guys standing next to my truck. One stuck a gun in my face and demanded my keys and wallet. I gave him the wallet and he told me to get in the car and drive. His partner ran to a waiting car with another person in it. I then realized that this was not going to be a simple robbery. As I was preparing to get in the car the armed robber became very nervous and I believe accidentally discharged his weapon in my direction. I retrieved the .40 cal I had under my seat (I had just come from the range or i might not of had it). The robber saw what i was doing and shot me in the stomach. I fired two rounds one missing and the other striking him on the lower left side of his body. He opened the door to my truck and fell out. The owner of the store began to shout that the police were en route. The two other robbers grabbed their friend and sped off.

That pretty much was my defining moment.
Ewalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 21:12   #659
Desert Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewalk View Post
After much consideration I chose to join the GT community.

in regards to the subject of this thread,
I went into a store to buy an energy drink and when i cam out there were two guys standing next to my truck. One stuck a gun in my face and demanded my keys and wallet. I gave him the wallet and he told me to get in the car and drive. His partner ran to a waiting car with another person in it. I then realized that this was not going to be a simple robbery. As I was preparing to get in the car the armed robber became very nervous and I believe accidentally discharged his weapon in my direction. I retrieved the .40 cal I had under my seat (I had just come from the range or i might not of had it). The robber saw what i was doing and shot me in the stomach. I fired two rounds one missing and the other striking him on the lower left side of his body. He opened the door to my truck and fell out. The owner of the store began to shout that the police were en route. The two other robbers grabbed their friend and sped off.

That pretty much was my defining moment.
Welcome to GT. Glad you are still with us to tell us the story.
Desert Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:38   #660
kshutt

Many reasons!

The general crime rate is just too high for me. I want to have a fighting chance in the event that I'm attacked or my family is attacked.
kshutt is offline   Reply With Quote