Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-24-2009, 06:42   #621
chfltft
Retired Navy

Like a lot of people, I don't fight as well as I used to, I have folks who rely on me to protect them (it seems as though it has become popular for some nutjobs to go to a crowded location and spray bullets around), and maybe after 25 years in the military, I just feel better having the edge that a firearm provides. I grew up with firearms and feel comfortable in their presence. I guess it comes down to the fact that, even though it is always a tough decision to take a life, better them than me or mine.
chfltft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:07   #622
Pitt
Gangstalicious

Defining moments. Thinking back, there were a lot of them.

My parents say I've been carrying a gun since I was in diapers. When I was a kid, guns weren't considered to be the Devil's powertools like they are now. Our heros were the Lone Ranger and the Cisco Kid. I grew up watching Beretta, SWAT, A-Team and Miami Vice. Good guys carried guns and whupped A.., so naturally that is what I wanted to do.

I saw violence on the streets growing up. I listened to the grown-ups talking about people getting into bad situations and even had members of my family come to bad turns due to crime.

I remember the first time I ever felt helpless was when a kid I had grown up with, pulled a machete on me in the parking lot of our high school. Later on that same guy pulled a nightstick on me while I was fighting with several of the kids in my neighborhood for making some smarta** comments about my mother. I vowed then that if that punk pulled another weapon on me, it would be the last time. Luckily I haven't seen him since that time.

I got my first gun, a .40 S&W 411 when I was 22. 2wks after buying it, I almost had to use it on a man who beat his wife unconscious in their car while they were driving down the street. I realized then that I hadn't ever fired this weapon, I didn't know how accurate it was and I totally wasn't mentally ready to use it to defend myself. I remember feeling like a coward that night because even though I was armed, I didn't want to get involved because I was scared. My GF at the time had to push me into acting. That night made me resolve to not stand aside while someone was being hurt or beaten. Its a strange thing to see that kind of violence in front of you.

I got my CCW about 10yrs ago but I let it expire in '04. I took the course again in '06 but didn't send in the paperwork. I took the course a 3rd time about 5wks ago. I am waiting for my permit now. I can't wait to get it. I've carried a gun as a cop and as a security guard for a nuclear facility, but I've known all my life that the only thing stopping any of us from being a victim is whether we are prepared to fight to defend our own lives. Cops will never be there in time to save you, that's your job!

Always fight back!
Bladerunner #35, S&P #33
Pitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 13:40   #623
corndogggy

In February I was attacked on my front porch by a family member. He was trying to choke me but as he was coming at me with his hands out I punched him in the nose and shattered it really bad. He's a huge guy and was really mad so he shook it off and kept coming. I tripped over my grill and he got on top of me, choking me. He mistakenly thought I had choked a dog to death, and said he was going to do exactly what I did to it, which is a death threat and he was trying to follow through with it. We were on the edge of the porch so I was able to roll him off and get up. He then started threatening me with a shovel. He refused to get off my property, weighed twice as much as me, had made a death threat, had been choking me, and was now threatening me with a makeshift weapon that he could have easily killed me with.

Well, when he stopped to say something to somebody else, I ran inside and grabbed my shotgun, came back out, cocked it, and sat down with it in my lap just in case he came at me again and also called the cops. He left. When the cops got there, I was the bad guy! The reason being was that they claimed I was safe when I went back into the house and shouldn't have even touched a gun unless I had locked the doors and he was trying to break in.

Now, the reason I started wanting to carry is because Kentucky law says you don't have to retreat, you can stand your ground, so basically if I had my 1911 on me and whipped it out, I would have been perfectly justified, but since I had to go through a door to get a firearm, I wasn't. Which, I think is silly, but, if since they want to view it that way, well, they just got another pistol out on the street.
corndogggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 14:52   #624
COBO19

No defining moment here, when the gun law in Michigan changed to allow CCW permits, I jumped right in before they changed their mind.
BEWARE THE FURY OF A PATIENT MAN -Dryden
COBO19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:08   #625
dually

I've always known my own safety was my sole responsibility.

To me its like wearing a seat belt, your probably not going to need it, But if you do you'll still be around to thank God you were prepared.

The final deciding factor for me and I'm sure for allot of you was the election of our new president. Not only that the present state of the economy.
dually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:16   #626
Glock19_11

I carry because i refuse to become a victim when I have the power/tools to prevent it. I don't want to be another statistic.
Glock19_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:19   #627
advdes45

The Columbine tragedy and the way the Clinton administration exploited it before the kid's bodies were even cold. That's when I bought my first gun.
advdes45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:51   #628
lineoffire

i was working at a car rental agency in Miami...without notice a group of local dirtbags held my office at gunpoint and a 9mm at my head while i cleane dout the cash drawer. Long story short, nobody got hurt and cops were there in minutes...but i refuse to be taken out by some punk with an itchy finger. i have a family now, and i know that push comes to shove and my life or theirs is on the line..there will be no hesitation.
lineoffire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:20   #629
_JR_
JR is the name

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineoffire View Post
i was working at a car rental agency in Miami...without notice a group of local dirtbags held my office at gunpoint and a 9mm at my head while i cleane dout the cash drawer. Long story short, nobody got hurt and cops were there in minutes...but i refuse to be taken out by some punk with an itchy finger. i have a family now, and i know that push comes to shove and my life or theirs is on the line..there will be no hesitation.
I like how you think and this is very true.
_JR_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:33   #630
turksteelman

Was in the Jack in the box drive thru a month or so ago. There was a car in front of me going to order with 2 cars in front of him. The guy that should be ordering decides he wants to leave. I can't back up because there are 2 cars behind me. He is ranting and raving and finally the 2 cars behind me back out and I did likewise. That wasn't enough for this gang banger kid about 28 yrs old. He pulled up next to my car which is now trapped in the line, got out of his car and is screaming and hollering for me to come out so he can kill me. I ignored him but felt totally vulnerable to his threats. I will never, ever, feel that way again. Where I go, my Glock 19 goes. If he would have broken in my window there was little I could have done as he was a big dude. This will never happen again. Since then I am in training mode with my Glock.
turksteelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 18:16   #631
mikegun

nothing very dramatic made me start carrying a gun, it happened the frist day i became a Calif cop,and i had no choice in the matter, i was ordered to carry a gun 24-7, those were the rules, i have carried a gun everyday for almost 30yrs.... i used my gun three times in all that time....

Last edited by mikegun; 06-26-2009 at 18:18..
mikegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 19:25   #632
FrogWithAGlock
Girl with a Gun

I have always been pro2A (and the rest of the Constitution, Bill of rights, etc), but never thought I'd have a gun. Shot them a few times, no issues, just never thought about it. In recent years, started considering it, if I could keep my kids safe first and foremost.

Last November, hubby asked if I wanted a gun for Christmas. I jumped on it and said yes, then went out and bought my Glock 19. Hubby figured it would be stored in the attic, just so we'd have one, if they became outlawed.

I, however, do not believe you should have a gun, and not be trained to use it. SO I started training, joined a range, etc. Got my CCL, and have started carrying. It's been an evolution, not a "defining moment".

I have had to physically defend myself a few times in my life (pre-gun days). I fortunately had the element of surprise (and the hairs on the back of my neck warning me), and was able to throw my attackers off guard in each case - and they were not armed.

I don't expect to always be as fortunate, and with kids, prefer not to leave that the ONLY "ace up my sleeve". So I carry a gun, as another layer of safety.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

"peaceful societies do not need general gun bans and violent societies do not benefit from them." Don B. Kates
FrogWithAGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 14:39   #633
U-phorik407
'Night Michelle

Send a message via Yahoo to U-phorik407
I bought my first gun right after 'Obamessiah' took office, I figured they can pry it from my cold dead hands... but honestly right after I moved out of the People's republik of NY, I decided I should arm myself to protect me because I work in a not so nice part of Orlando, but also the fact that I've had some instances where my families life was threatened. Right after my dads car was robbed and my parents house was 'looked over' I also thought it would be a good idea to have something for the house also... I am still trying to talk my folks into arming themselves...
Florida Glockers #131
U-phorik407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 15:59   #634
RiverVan
FREEDOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by U-phorik407 View Post
I bought my first gun right after 'Obamessiah' took office, I figured they can pry it from my cold dead hands... but honestly right after I moved out of the People's republik of NY, I decided I should arm myself to protect me because I work in a not so nice part of Orlando, but also the fact that I've had some instances where my families life was threatened. Right after my dads car was robbed and my parents house was 'looked over' I also thought it would be a good idea to have something for the house also... I am still trying to talk my folks into arming themselves...
Welcome to Florida from Southern Dade County. I left upstate NY 7 years and 4 months ago, and I miss the gun laws there not one little bit.

Whats your carry sidearm?
(Its Glock talk, I gotta ask)

Peace
River
Old 07-22-2009, 16:08   #635
silentstorm

simple. this crazy world.
silentstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 21:01   #636
SAVChippewa04

Always liked guns, and in Michigan here there is a stigma about handguns, it seems there are a lot of hoops to jump through to own one. Never gave this issue a whole lot of thought until last Sunday. Basically I was at an intersection with a pickup directly across from me and he was not signaling to turn left. Light turns green, this guy turns left right in front of me, I slam on my brakes and motion with my hands upward saying "what are you doing?" No profane language, no profane gestures, just looking for simple courtesy. Well, this turkey stops and tails me through two intersections and I am will admit I was intimidated because he is rough looking and obviously knows what he is up to. I decided not to flee, to obey all traffic rules until I reach my destination, and I keep my eye on him like a hawk. While this is going on, I know I have my 357 MAG in the glove box, if needed. Long story short, he pulls up along side of me and we stare at each other for about 2-3 seconds, he turns right, peels out and I decompress (believe me, I just wanted to go fishing with my basset hound!). Anyway, I am glad I have my permit, I sold my 357 MAG this week, and picked up a g26 for everyday carry, and keep the g17 at home in case some goofball decides to home invade. Unfortunately, there are just too many creeps out there looking to take advantage of folks.

SAVCHIPPEWA04
Old 07-31-2009, 06:56   #637
ConroeTxCCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAVChippewa04 View Post
Anyway, I am glad I have my permit, I sold my 357 MAG this week, and picked up a g26 for everyday carry, and keep the g17 at home in case some goofball decides to home invade. Unfortunately, there are just too many creeps out there looking to take advantage of folks.

SAVCHIPPEWA04
True. That's what g18 mags are for :-D
Old 08-08-2009, 18:21   #638
16-17

This has been a very enlightening thread. It’s taken be the better part of the day to read all the way through it.

Maybe I’m just a little slow but the “defining moment” came very slowly. When I was 13 my folks shipped me off to military school. So at 13 I was carrying and learned to use an M1 Garand. As others have pointed out, it was a different time and and I never considered it a big deal to be carrying a rifle everyday at school. In the late sixties the country went through one of it’s less proud moments with riots and cities in flames and I thought it prudent to be armed. A relative sold me an rarely used 16 gauge that is still with me. Over the years I would occasionally go out and smoke some clays with it and it was always kept handy for “bump in the night” duty. Living in NY at the time I witnessed the snatch and run stuff that went on in the subways and even a shoot out between a liqueur store owner and a BG that spilled into the street. I astutely took cover behind a car so as not to become collateral damage. I even had an ex wife who had been robbed at gun point before I met her. But hey, it was NY, this stuff went on all the time. So the 16 gauge was just always there and taken for granted. Last year, my friend of 47 years was killed in a bicycle accident. We had gone through the military school together and it was he who I most often went out to shoot clays with. It got me thinking about the shotgun again. And that got me thinking about guns again. And then the November election happened. I went and qualified at the county trap range and stated thinking that it might be important have more assets than the 16 gauge could provide. I took an NRA handgun safety course before buying a Glock 17. I started going to the range at least once a week to become proficient. I still hadn’t made a conscious decision to get a CHP. Then, a few weeks ago, we had a call from my girlfriends son. His girlfriend, a doctor, had been attacked in her office at the hospital. She was working after hours, though it was only 6:30 PM. A BG, a repeat offender, had come through he hospital kitchen picking up a 13 inch butcher knife on the way. He robbed and attempted to rape her. Amazingly, even after being stabbed, she was able to fight him off, get possession of the knife, and inflict wounds to him before he fled. He was captured a day later. The “defining moment” happened. I have filed for my CHP!
16-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:46   #639
mr.z28
learning...

ive wanted a ccl since forever...i couldnt wait to turn 21...that added to the fact that ive had a gun pulled on me a couple times....added to the fact that baton rouge is the 12th most dangerous city in the US and new orleans is number 1 and only a 45 minute drive away...louisiana is number 1 on the gun-death chart....baton rouge is number 7 on the murder chart per-capital...new orleans is number 1...it could be argued that louisiana is one of the most dangerous regions in the US...since we have 2 cities on the most dangerous list top 15 within an hour of each other...not too many other regions can make that claim...added to all that i dont live in the best neighborhood...within the last 5 weeks weve had 5 murders ON THE SAME STREET!!!...which is like 3 streets over from me...added to that, ITS MY RIGHT AS A LAW ABIDING CITIZEN!!!...
Sub Club #525

Quote:
Don't be embarassed, we all had to start somewhere.
mr.z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:46   #640
cwag
ApendamenTindey

It's an odd story, my best friends had gotten in financial trouble and the repo agent was way overzealous. He knew the vehicle wasn’t on the property, knew the he was at work on nights and she was home alone with the kids living in a rural area sorta secluded area. They had already seen him once scouting the property. Then one night after I left, I get the call that the dogs are going crazy and she see’s someone in the backyard. So I come back and actually pass his truck pulling out of the back field. I had already wanted a pistol, had been saving the money for one so once I bought it I figured I might as well carry it.

GSSF Lifetime Member
NRA Life Member
cwag is offline   Reply With Quote